Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Athlete Interviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Interview with Harrison Bailey III (2/10)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interview with Harrison Bailey III (2/10)
    Posted: 8/24/11 at 7:46am
Interview with Harrison Bailey III (2/10/10)

Here is Harrison Bailey III.  I think this is one of the most informative interviews yet.  The guy has done so much in the games and touched a lot of people.  I don't know Harrison very well, I learned a lot here about him.  If you have been in the games any time at all you know about the man.  He is legend.  One of the great throwers ever in the sport and very well liked.  Harrison had to cross a barrier in this sport and I wanted to know about it.  The man was gracious enough to talk about it and eloquent in his answers.  I think you will enjoy him very much, so here you are

Let’s talk about your name first, who are you named after and talk about the pride in that some.

I am named after my father & grandfather.  To of the best men I have ever known.  I can't imagine what type of father or man I would be without them.  It is truly amazing to know that you were loved so deeply.  My great grandfather was believed to be an Irish sailor but I don't know any details.  That's were the "Bailey" came from. 

How old are you?

37 on 3/23/10 

Where were you born?

South Bronx, NYC 

Where do you live now?

Williams Township, Pa. (Just south of Easton, Pa)

How did you end up there?

I grew up in Lakewood, NJ and left for college in 1991.  Went to college in Easton, Pa. (Lafayette).  Never really left.

What do you drive?

Dodge Ram 1500 - Wouldn't drive anything else, except maybe a 2500.

What do you do for a living?

Assistant Principal at a high school for the past 9 years.

How did you get into that?

I originally wanted to go into public speaking.  I wanted to travel to colleges and talk to teams and college organizations about rape, sexual harassment and the male image in America.  Fortunately, I was a decent football player, and played a year of Arena 1 football for the Conneticut Coyotes.  After that, I knew I needed grad school and got a job at a teacher training school while going to Lehigh University.  At the end of getting my Masters of Ed. I decided I loved working with kids and wanted to be an administrator.  I truly believe that when we are lucky enough to recognize what God means for us to do, you can't walk away from it. 

Tell us about your education?

BA - Anthropology & Sociology at Lafayette College

M. Ed - Education (Spec. Ed.) at Lehigh University

Principalship Cert. at Lehigh University

Tell me about your kids?

Love them!!!!  HB4 is as smart as a whip.  He is 5 but says things that make you think he is 50. 

Torin James is almost 3.  He is my bull in a china shop.  He loves to get a rise out of you and then smiles in a way to melt your heart.  They are going to be quite the pair.  Actually, we have kept it under wraps but we are expecting a third.  I would love to have a girl but as long as he/she is healthy, that is all I need.  I just hope I am half the father my dad was.

Talk about your wife and how you met her?

She is a damn saint.  We met in grad school and the school we taught at.  She hooked me by drinking beers and smoking a cigar or two.  Ofcourse, all that ended when we got hitched!!!  She is like half my height but we are an incredible match.  Any woman that can put up with my work and HG schedule should be given a parade. 

As a kid growing up, what was your first job?

I set up and broke down party rooms in a banquet house.  To this day I can't stand to touch other people's food.

When you grew up as a kid, what sports did you play?

Soccer & Wrestling.  A million different backyard sports.  I didn't play organized football until 9th grade. 

Did you throw in school?

Yes, I threw discus and Jav. in HS. I even ran high hurdles.  It was awesome to watch other runners faces as they watched me take a throw in the discus, run over to the hurdles, race, and  run back to the discus.  Senior year I was 215lbs running high hurdles.  I threw 176ft in the discus in HS and 176.6ft in college.   I have never regretted playing football but I always wonder how far I would have thrown if I had been able to concentrate on it. 

How did you get into weight lifting and when?

Religiously, not until college.  It really all started freshman year with Big Paul Ferency as my throws coach.  He had me going hard core, old school lifting.  I was squatting, cleaning, benching, and throwing 3x's a week.  Hey, when you are 18 you can do that stuff.  Let's put it this way, from 11/1991 to 4/1992 I went from 219lbs running a 4.79 forty (electronic eye) to 237lbs running a 4.65.  He got me strong.  I have learned to listen to my body over the years and made some adaptations, but all in all I still use his appoach to lifting.

What was your first Highland Game and when was that?

Long Island , NY - 8/1997 - It only had 3 events: stone, caber, & w/h

Who was at that game?

Not many.  I know that it was my first intro to the pretty boy of the games - Roy Bogue.

What made you decide to try and compete at a game?

I knew Paul did the games and after Arena football I needed to keep competing.   I asked Paul to train me and the rest was history. I owe him a great deal for my success.  I also had the chance to throw with Ryan Vierra and Francis Brebner when they stayed with Paul.  I was just a kid and they were bigger legends than I even realized. 

All athletes have reservations regarding the first time or two competing, but you crossed a barrier that most of our athletes don’t.  Talk about that and what that was like. 

Very good question.  Yes, I'm the first and only black guy to throw on the pro circuit.  Honestly, that has not been a very big issue for me.  I have met guys from all over world and I have had very few incidents, in the games.  If I am going to be honest, my mother always taught me that I was going to need to be at my best to get ahead.  So, I trained as hard as I could so that games wanted me there, regardless of their personal politics.  My only specific issue occurred when I was an am.  I got uninvited to the North South Challenge my first year.  It was going to be held in New Orleans and I was told that K. Cummings was worried about racial problems from Civil War reenactors.  Jim Pauli told me during a competition at Ligoneer and I think I hit 3 PR's that day.   I guess I could complain that I haven't competed in many games in the south but hey, neither have many other northerners. Most of the southern pros have treated me just fine, except that damn racist KO.  (Just kidding, for all you sensitive types.)

How has that changed now as the years have gone on in the sport?

I think people's attitudes regarding diversity has changed quite a bit.  Look at the strides Shannon Hartnett and all the women after her have made.  At the end of the day, we are all dreamers in pursuit of the big throws.  Regardless of race, sex, religion, etc., we can all appreciate a world record.  Honestly, I am at a point in my life that if guys are still stuck on that nonsense I feel sorry for them.  Evolve already!!!

You have seen the Highland Games change a lot over the years, what changes do you like and not like?

I think the Nasga board is one of the most progressive tools created in during my throwing career.  Hats off to K. Pauli.  I also think the work that Ryan V. has put in to help organize the US and now World Championships has been monumental. 

What is your favorite event?

That has changed from season to season.  I would probably say the hwd or sheaf.  Yes, I said sheaf.

What is a common mistake you see people make in that event?

WFD - They don't spend enough time practicing the first turn.  If you don't set the ball in the right orbit and your not landing in a drive position, the throw is over before you start.  Sheaf - Back swing, back swing , back swing.

Who were the first people to influence and coach you in the sport?

Paul Ferency for both.  I also got to throw with Ryan V. and Francis B. while  was in college.

Talk some about throwing games as an amateur, what games you did and where.

Ligoneer, Alexandria, P-Town, Carlisle, Richmond, Long Island, Kansas &  Elizabethtown to name a few.

I honestly owe all of those AD's a lot. They let me get my foot in the door and when I was unknown.

What were your favorite amateur games?

Probably P-town.  It was my first national championship comp. and what a venue.  Every AM should try and experience that one.  Alexandria was awesome also.  East Coast Championships!!!

Talk about some of the pro games you have done and your favorites.

Sacramento  - Ususally the first big games of the year.

Alaska - Absolutely amazing people & great low key games.

Durness, Scotland - Most beautiful games

Ligoneer - My first pro games

Halkirk, Scotland - My "this is what scotland is about" games

Edinburgh, Scotland - Best throwing field venue

Fergus - Consistantly one of the best international comps

Rio, Brazil - Once in a lifetime

Cortland - Best low key games around

Portland - The old days at Portland Brewing

Detroit - Most thrower friendly games

Bethlehem - Hometown games, National Championship, Throw far or go home games, NEED I SAY MORE!!!

Who do you enjoy competing with and why?

Barron Boys - Guys who love the games & just great fellas

Brock - win or lose great laughs

Vierra - An unmatched competitor, clutch thrower

Betz - I always watch him and say "how the hell did he do that???"

Zolk - Work horse and solid competior

Talk about some of the throws, games and moments you are most proud of.

Am - I broke 4 am records at Elizabethtown one day and Roy B posted it on Nasga.  That felt great.

Pro - New Hampshire right after 9-11.  I won and they played the National Anthem.  It gave me chills.

Celtic 2001 or 2002 - breaking Paul F. WFH record and then breaking the world record.  Paul was there to congratulate me.

Why don’t you post more on the NASGA board and what would you change there?

I post when I have something useful to say.  I wish more guys took advantage of asking throwing questions on the board.  It is an incredible resource.  Maybe add a section were people could add video clips.  I am glad the old arguments seemed to have died (am vs pro, stand vs spin, clean vs dirty).  I am all for free speech but these issues tend to turn personal and end up unproductive.  

Talk about training and your philosophy in throwing?

From April through July, I try to throw 4 days a week.  Not more than 2 events in a session.  At this stage I work on quality over quantity but I put in good number of reps.  I use a lot of video.  If I had to do it all over again, I would have used video from the start.  I have been able to correct so many technique flaws by taking 3-4 throws, watching myself on video, and then throwing again.  I can always find something to fix.  I am also infamous for changing up styles.  For example, I have changed:  Stone - 3x, WFD - 3x, Ham - 2x, Sheaf - 2x, WFH - 3x.   These haven't always been monumental changes but I believe you need to figure out what works for you. 

What is your favorite drill you do and why do you think it helps you?

In the off season I do a lot of drive drills and position drills.  Ryan V once told me, "Position creates distance, not speed."  I have always believed that.  I don't care how strong or fast you are, if you can't get into the position to use it, who cares!

Tell us about some of the injuries you had as an athlete.

Separated shoulder, torn ham string, torn groin, torn achilles, torn bicep  (Those were the severe ones)

After the Achilles injury, talk about the mental aspect of coming back into the sport.

Being a competitive athlete is either in your genes or it's not.  I knew I would come back.  Hell, I competed 6 months after surgery and threw well.  The mental part was knowing how hard to push without additional injury.  The worst part was that it forced me into bad habits.  Because I couldn't drive off my right foot/toes, I started heel turning.  That bad habit killed my throws for a few years and still creeps back in when I get careless or tired.  I should have listened to my doc and wife and laid off it for the year.  But, I am as much of a games whore as one can be.

What impresses you now in the sport?

The level of competition has gone through the roof in the past few years.  There were always 3-4 guys at a time that were incredible but now there are a dozen guys in the sport that can hand you your jock at any games. 

Who makes you laugh at games now?

Brock, Chaffin, & KO. 

Funniest Time: ( Enumclaw 2 yrs ago)  We all walk into a Baskin Robbins, after dinner and Chaffin accepts the challenge to try and eat an entire ice cream cake at the counter.  After the dozen of us all place our bets, the workers and owner get in on the action and then every customer that walks in gets involved.  We end up with 20 - 30 people packed into this little store cheering on Chaffin as he deperately try to keep himself from puking.  Absolutely hilarious. 

When I mention these athletes names, just write a few words about them you think of when you see it.

Ryan;  Hands down the greatest thrower of all time

Overfelt;   racist, little people lover (Ha,ha), one of the most improved throwers on the circuit

C. Smith;  strong guy with a stronger opinion (but I respect him for his honesty)

Gundmunndson;  Best stone thrower I have ever seen

Pulcinella;  Extremely strong guy, if he had been able to put a few healthy seasons together he would have done awesome

Betz;  Great guy, class act, hell of a thrower

Brock;  Incredible technician & greatest hustler in the games

What fires you up now days in the games? 

Figuring out techniques in events that have killed me for years (caber, stand. wob)

What training philosophy do you follow in the gym?

Weight room: Late Nov - March   Reps: 10(Nov) down to 2 & 1(March)    Week Routine:  Day 1-lift  Day 2-Drill   Day 3-Rest   Repeat

Lifts - Pull (High pull (hang/floor/box),  Squat (Back & Zerch),  Deads (floor/box)    

I use bands almost every set until I want to go test heavy.  I don't go into my weight room after mid April.   This program really works for me.

What do you like to do outside of the games?

Hanging with the family, house projects, wood work, hiking and getting into sailing.

What other hobbies do you have?

Collect old tools

What is your favorite food?

Split b/w pizza and a good steak 

What supplements do you take?

A lot of vitamins, fish oil, protein shakes, & cell drive

What do you drink with a meal at home?

Green Iced tea

What beer do you like?

Guiness & Moosehead

Do you mow your own grass and what kind of mower do you have?

John Deere Rider (2 acres)

Do you like to garden?

That is the wifes thing but there is nothing like fresh veg. from your own yard.

Are you a Democrat or Republican? 

Absolute Democrat.  You know I'm loving this Obama thing, on sooooo many levels!

Are you into Astrology?  What sign are you?

No. Aries

Are you a religious man, and if so, what do you practice?

It might sound nutty but I consider myself very spiritual but not very religious.  Definition:  I love, praise and respect god but don't get into all the ceremonial church stuff. 

What kind of music do you like?

Mostly R & B, some Hip Hop & funk, old Rat Pack stuff, and some old rock when I train (Kiss, ACDC)

Where do you like to go to eat?

5 Guys (Burgers) and Don Pablo's for Mexican.  Pizza is my common downfall.

What does your wife think is your best body part?

Good question??????

What do you like to watch on TV?

Sit coms - Modern Family;    MSNBC - Politics;     Dramas -  Brothers & Sisters

Are you a western movie or sci fi person?  Tell a favorite.

Actually more of a comedy & action guy but if I had to pick, sci fi. 

What are the goals for this year?

Learn how to throw the hammer again!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic