Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - When did highland games quit being a strength spor
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

When did highland games quit being a strength spor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When did highland games quit being a strength spor
    Posted: 12/31/20 at 9:53am
What has happened with the games?  It seems now our sport is no longer a strength sport.  People would work years on developing strength and then come and compete and show their work.  Now people just cruise out and throw?  They can't throw the techniques as they are weak.   It is like I went and took a tennis lesson and decided I should compete, not once, but week after week, over and over.  I am paying my entry fee and deserve to compete dammit.  Can you imagine being at a tennis tournament you came to and paid to get in expecting high level tennis and here comes the guy or gal who took one lesson.  Does anyone want to watch that?  People could come out of the stands and do better.  Same here.  It is embarrassing for people who really have worked at this to see. 

Now I understand loving to throw.  Go throw.  But what we have is the folks love attention, not throwing.  You are not competing.  You have not put the work in to compete and show your stuff.  Go practice and throw.

And lets put these backyard games popping up all over in here also.  Is winning your class with nobody to compete or a couple people really competing to you?  Is that a victory?  Again, it is not about throwing, it is all the attention.  The patch and shirt is everything as I can show I compete. 

Again, I love throwing and understand, but just go throw.  I practice on Saturday, you are welcome to join me.
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/02/21 at 10:57am
You're entitled to your feelings.  To me, however, the competition is always with myself, even if I'm the only one in the class.  My goals and definitions of success revolve around keeping solid technique and not finishing dead last in every event.  We have no control over who shows up to compete that day.

Over the years, I've seen many throwers that were freaky strong and thereby overcome poor technique.  I often wondered how much better they would be if they could layer the technique upon their strength.  Most of those I remember are no longer competing.

Frequently, I've also been at games where such a freaky strong person or a former track/field athlete at their first HG ends up winning the class based on the strength, talent, and experience they brought to the field that day.  These folks benefited greatly from the on-field coaching from the other, more experienced members of their throwing group.  The camaraderie of the sport is often what keeps these folks coming back and keeping up with whatever strength exercise they were already doing.

Just my humble opinion after 14 seasons.

Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE

Originally posted by Silverback Silverback wrote:

What has happened with the games?  It seems now our sport is no longer a strength sport.  People would work years on developing strength and then come and compete and show their work.  Now people just cruise out and throw?  They can't throw the techniques as they are weak.   It is like I went and took a tennis lesson and decided I should compete, not once, but week after week, over and over.  I am paying my entry fee and deserve to compete dammit.  Can you imagine being at a tennis tournament you came to and paid to get in expecting high level tennis and here comes the guy or gal who took one lesson.  Does anyone want to watch that?  People could come out of the stands and do better.  Same here.  It is embarrassing for people who really have worked at this to see. 

Now I understand loving to throw.  Go throw.  But what we have is the folks love attention, not throwing.  You are not competing.  You have not put the work in to compete and show your stuff.  Go practice and throw.

And lets put these backyard games popping up all over in here also.  Is winning your class with nobody to compete or a couple people really competing to you?  Is that a victory?  Again, it is not about throwing, it is all the attention.  The patch and shirt is everything as I can show I compete.  

Again, I love throwing and understand, but just go throw.  I practice on Saturday, you are welcome to join me.
mcknight77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcknight77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/13/21 at 12:36pm
I just want to know what happened to all the games that use to be put on in Missouri.  Warrensburg, KC, and so on.  I haven't competed in almost 6 years just for the simple fact my wife and I can not find any games.  Is their a Facebook or Instagram page Directors are using rather than this website?  The Highland in the Burg was amazing wish it would come back.
Will McKnight
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic