Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: jp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/14 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

Originally posted by Juli Peterson Juli Peterson wrote:

2nd overall. Absolutely stoked. It was one of the most thrilling experiences I've had in sport and I'm so thankful.

A GIF? I got a GIF? SHWEEEEET! Heh. But honestly, thanks. I listened to you. I had fun. I did my best. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Thank you.

Anyways. Bags made it fairly quickly thank goodness.

9/16
"Trained" at Laurence Shahlaei's gym. It was pretty awesome. Still didn't have my stuff but I knew it was coming.

C2'd a bit.
Press up to a 55kg single. Push press up to 60 which was a bit surprising. I was thinking of going to about 70 or 75. I guess three days of competing and drinking affected me. Huh.

9/17
Now that I had my shoes and my stuff, trained for real. Got to play with Loz's girl Liz and her sister and Mum. It was very cool.

Squat:
Up to 3 singles at 100kg and then back off sets of 1x10@60 and 2x5@60.

Deadlift (with one of the best in the world right next to me. Unnerving a bit to say the least but his light "nice job" was like thunder and very cool.)

Worked up to one single at 120. Felt light and would have gone further but the gym was closing.

It was the perfect ending to a perfect trip. Truth be told; however; I'm ready to get home and sleep in my own bed and get out to the field again. Tomorrow.

Peace out GBR. You've been grand.

jp
You have to stop doing that Juli, if it worked we'd all be doing it.

tosabarbell.com
Juli Peterson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/20/14 at 3:29pm
9/19

Rolled in late Thursday night so focused on lots of water and some Prowler pushes today.

5 sprints w/30kg

9/20

Throwing:

Light Hammer: worked more on timing of the release. Just did one wind with huge push down and pop. Better. Will keep doing that and add one more wind when it's solid. Need to get this thing down.

LWD: Just worked on keeping my shoulders to the back as my feet rotate on the second turn. Right now I'm in the habit of turning everything and not getting good separation at the end. It went okay, I'm feeling it, just not doing it every time. Will keep working.

WOB: Practiced timing of release. Feels good.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/22/14 at 2:35pm
9/22

Games week. Bonfire and Bagpipes on Sunday. One of my favorites.

Squat:
Up to 3x2@80kg

Press:
Up to 3x2@45kg

Throwing:
Stones - just keep working foot first and big push
Hammers - keep working big push and release. May add another wind, we'll see how it goes.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/23/14 at 9:08pm
9/23

Throwing: Weights

I realized, after watching some video today of Jake Sullivan, that I'm pulling my left foot back way too far after my first turn which (of course) is pulling me off my game. So I'll practice the footwork more.

Threw 14, 21, 28 three, two, then one times. In between talking to drunk guy at the park at 1:30 in the afternoon. Random. 

Me: "No, I don't think you should try to throw that."
Drunk guy: "Noooooo, I caaaaaan dooooo it."
Drunk guy falls down.
Me: "I think you should move along."

So, ya know, never boring in Wisconsin.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/26/14 at 11:16am
9/26

Bench:
Up to 3x2@45

Power Clean (needed to put some pep in my step. Kept it light due to Sunday but really wanted to get moving.)
Up to 5x1@50kg

Prowler:
Leisure walk: 5 w/30kg

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/14 at 9:30pm
9/28

Bonfire & Bagpipes Games

One of my favorites. Thanks to Kevin Nies and Jason Clevenger for having us back again. It was a beautiful, sunny day with an awesomely supportive crowd. 

Light Hammer: 76'10" (I think) PR Hammers are coming. I'll take it.
Open Stone: 30'10.5" Still struggling with open stone.
LWD (14#): 60' 7". Still struggling with something in my second turn. Time to video and get it off to Mindy who saved my distance weights earlier this year.
HWD (21#): 46' something, when verified will be another World Record unless someone else has broken it this weekend.
WOB (21#): 14' Missed 16' in various fashion. That's okay, working on fixing my timing on the pull. 
Caber: 65# 16' Turned first time to 3:00. First time I've turned this one. Caber coming, just keep working.

Overall, a complete blast with awesome folks. Kilted jumpers; ginormous bonfire; great friends. 

Total treat. 

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/30/14 at 1:32pm
9/30

I have two games left, Indy & Texas. My training for October will be some 531 deload with a very light deload the last week of the month (after Texas.) I'll start off season training in November and throw until the weather prevents it.

Squat:
Up to 5@ 60kg, 65, 70

Press:
Up to 5@25, 30, 35

Throwing
Hammer - still working the timing of the release. It's all coming along but I noticed on Sunday that with each throw, I'd dip and turn too early. 

Stones - relax. Drills. Some glide. Relax and throw. I get so tight on this toss that I just need to keep drilling and relax.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/14 at 12:38pm
10/1

Took the distance weights out to practice. Lots of throws, good day.

10/4

I was nostalgic for my Oly Saturday's and since it's raining out and throwing is probably out, decided to hit some power cleans. Warmed up with some power snatches and quickly realized that this 'ol gal doesn't have a lot of zip left. I'm tired. I need to keep that in mind preparing for these last two games, don't overdue. 

PS:
Worked up to one at 45kg

PC:
Worked up to 60kg, did 4 and brought the weight back down to 55 where I did 3 more.

Total reps~20

If it dries out we'll try to do a little WOB practice later. We'll see. Throw tomorrow.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/14 at 7:09pm
10/5

Took the distance weights out to get a couple of videos shot. Here's a LWD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch20haX38m8&list=UU-lWnQtx0wBK3T_pFI47Thw

Among other things, I'm standing straight up. No Bueno. This one went around 57' which is where I've been stuck at since August. 

Here's the next one after I realized I was too upright. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHN8DPrSvl4&index=4&list=UU-lWnQtx0wBK3T_pFI47Thw

67'+. Off balance. Not perfect but better. 

Took some hammer winds. One wind and release went as far as 2-3 winds. I lose the timing of the release. More practice, it'll come.

Some WOB practice, hit a couple of good ones but still working on the timing.

Sheaf, 12# but was tired. More of that later this week.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/14 at 2:27pm
10/6

Squat:
Up to 3@ 65kg, 70kg, 75kg

CG Bench:
Up to 5@35, 40, 45

10 Slam Balls on the 30sec. x 5

Stones Drills

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/14 at 3:46pm
10/7

Pre Games Throw - a few of each

Stones: Ok, will glide this weekend
Distance: Good coaching from Mindy helped a ton, hope to extend the WR one last time this season.
Hammer: Had some good toss', if I can keep mindful of my timing I should be okay.
WOB: Still working the timing of the pull, we'll see what happens.
Sheaf: Rusty. Ugh.

Indiana Highland Games Saturday with Mike Huth's gang and an awesome group of ladies. Should be a blast.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/14 at 9:43pm
10/11

Indianapolis Scottish Games & Festival

This was our first times down to Indy and I feel confident in saying this is how we'll finish each season (hopefully.) Mike & Amy Huth closed out their AD path yesterday and it was an absolute honor to be there. Luckily for us, they'll still be around, just not in the 'do everything' role. That gets bestowed on John O'Connor who we will love to come and throw for. We kept things moving steadily all day and I learned a big lesson about having healthy snacks to keep me going. Amy and crew kept us fed at lunchtime and there were many delicious food booths but I need to prepare better to grab a healthy snack after each event or two. Truth be told during our distance events I was extremely tired and the right food will help with that.

The crowd was incredibly supportive, the day was gorgeous even though they guys had to set up in the rain the day before. Our big group of open and master's ladies was of course awesome and throwing one last time with Dawn Higgins, Tracey Mills, Amanda Reynolds, Ashley Scherer, Elissa Hapner and new friends was just perfect. So was the beer wagon right next to the field. Numms.

Anyways, the throwing. I actually had a pretty rough day. Not much was flying for me and I think I underestimated no rest; food; and a pretty tight field (as in, tossing weight for distance and I see someone a couple feet behind the trig on my first turn. OH HERRO!) Again, the right food will help.

Sheaf: 15' Ugh. We started at 9' and went up by 3. I don't remember how I kept missing 18. I know I struggled (many of us actually) with the bag sticking on the fork, it was pretty wet. 

WOB: We threw the 21# and I hit 17'1" which is a great PR for me. I HTH at 18' and of course I'd have preferred that it had gone over but knowing it's there is a good confidence booster. This is the last time I'll throw the 21# this year so I'm pleased with going out strong in the WOB. As much as I don't like to toot my own horn often, this is one I'm proud of. What I lack (significantly) in height I need to make up in mechanics. They're coming. The current WR in Scotland was 17' that Mona Malec hit and I missed there so I'm very pleased with this number.

Open Stone - 9#: 28'3. Pretty bad. I don't know. I took a slide in the mud on the first glide so stayed put after that. I just didn't get a good push. I need to drill up before Texas on this. I can do better.

Heavy Hammer: 57'10.5". Again, not my best (60'.) I forgot to do something I've been practicing and that annoys the ever livin' out of me. Next time. (Enter Apollo Creed on the beach to Rock: THERE IS NO TOMORROW!) 

HWD (21#): 43'11" Bummer. I was really hoping to extend my record since this was my last chance and I think I over corrected a few problems I had. Damn. Moar practice. Damn.

LWD: 58'7". Bummer x 2. Struggled. Whatev. Damn x 2.

Caber: Qualifying caber was light enough (but no one I guess knew HOW light) that I should have just picked up instead of 'picking' it. I struggled to control the hulk smash pick and turned it just fine. Big dog caber was big and heavy but straight and nice. 70 degrees the first time (needed to hold it just a bit higher), no turn the second, and 10:00 the third. To turn it made me happy and just getting more reps with big Cabers is good. Only Elissa and I turned.

Overall, happy with WOB and Caber and throwing for Mike with these wonderful ladies. I really do heart them. I'm happy that I'm feeling pretty good and overall healthy getting out of there. I have two weeks before I go to Texas for the final Games and have a solid plan of good food; light training & more drills. Keep actual throwing reps down cuz I'm tired. Walks. Lot's of agua. Little things that add up to happy juli. True story.

jp

tosabarbell.com
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/14 at 10:17pm
Any day with a PR is a good day
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/14 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Nathan Parker Nathan Parker wrote:

Any day with a PR is a good day

PR's absolutely contribute to a good day! Tongue

Squat:
Up to 1 @ 80kg. Back off to 3x3@60.

Press:
Up to 1 @ 45kg. Back off to 3x3@30.

Stone drills and if it dries up here, some hammer drills.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/14 at 1:28pm
10/14

More rain today so stayed in.

Just to keep moving I did:
3x8@15kg ladies training bar Complex

Upright Row
PC
Front Squat
Press
BS
Good Morning

Even wore a belt. Felt good but geebus I'm outta shape. 

More inside stone drills.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/14 at 4:23pm
10/16

Deadlift:
Up to 1@105kg

Bench:
Up to 3x5@40, 45, 50

Weather finally moving out. Throw tomorrow.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/14 at 4:02pm
10/17

Blistery, gray day but got some toss' in.

Distance: 28 & 14. My first turn has become sloppy so tightened that back up. Trying to start a little higher so I can "get" low when needed. Meh. Nothing great but I'm glad the first turn is better.

Hammer: Just worked speed of turns and staying in place on the release. Had a few decent throws but overall just a meh day.

Meh.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/14 at 3:01pm
10/20

Pre-Games Throws. Usually on Tuesdays but the rain is coming in for the rest of the week. 

This was probably my best practice since July. Looking back, I had gotten away from just shooting for 80% during practice and relaxing. I started to panic and hold on to everything too tight. Today was awesome. Relaxed. Felt the movements and throws were on the money. Memo to me this weekend, relax. Stay loose. 

3 throws of each with minimal/games type warm up. Did some squats and presses before I left to warm up at home and avoid it in the cold. 

I'll train a little bit Tues and Wed and do a few more stone drills in the yard but feeling better than I have in months. Yeah.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/14 at 12:19pm
10/22

Bench:
Up to 3x3@45kg

PC:
Up to 3x3@45 (just wanted to put some pep in my step without taxing the heel too much.)

Hammer drills

Little morning walk tomorrow, travel Friday. Feeling better than I have in a while. Ready for some fun on Sat.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/14 at 8:56pm
10/25

Celtober Women's Team Challenge

Team Mana Nui FTW

Braemar: 27' some PR
Open: 33 11 1/2" PR
HH: 61' PR
LH: 82'4" PR
HWD (28#): 35'6"
LWD: 64'1 PR
Caber: 3x12:00 PR
WOB: 15' in extra's PR
Sheaf: 22'

7 PR's so pretty much a good final. Tied my sheaf PR of 22' and I'll take it. Up until 24' all my toss' were pretty solid. I hooked my first shot at 24', threw about 2 feet higher than the bar but in front on my second and hooked the 3rd. 

Hit 14' on WOB fine and hit the bar on each try of 15'. Took extra's and thanks to Michael Dickens, hit it on the 3rd just fine. 

Stone PR's are good. My 33' plus felt like I've wanted it to all along but still only got there once. 

Hammers are coming. Things clicking, especially for light.

Overall a very good day in that things are clicking. Throwing all day in the 90 degree Texas sun was almost as bad as throwing in the rain but not quite. Our team won which is the most important thing (TACS T-shirts for us!) and I took second overall to Olivia Tyler (who is as awesome as her throws.)

Special thanks to Spencer Tyler for giving me some pointers on what to practice this off season for the stones (and some laughs, he's kinda funny.) Thanks to Duncan for his advice in the caber, it worked. Thank you SO much to Brittney the Belle for her car service and taking such amazing care of all of us gals on Saturday and to the TCAA. I really think this is the most spoiled I've ever been in sport much less in the Games. Our judge Mark, our helpers Jeff and his girls. Chocolate milk and granola bars (too many granola bars really isn't a good idea later. Please learn from my mistakes.)

It was an amazing Games and we'll be back. 

For now, this week will be all about recovery and rest. I need to pay close attention as to what I've done the two weeks leading up to this Games to feel so good and throw so well when things start getting busy next season. Rest was disrespected. MyBad. Live and learn.

jp

tosabarbell.com
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/14 at 9:09pm
Seven PRs! 

Artfully done lady.  Artfully done.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/14 at 2:02pm
Bwahahaha Tom! Thank you!!Smile

10/27

~3 mile walk and hot yoga in about an hour. Time to stretch and sweat. I always say I look forward to it but then I do it and remember how awful it is. The nice thing about this studio is I can do a 60 minute once or twice a week instead of the full 90. 

But today, 90. Uffda.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/14 at 2:31pm
10/28

Squat:
3x5@40kg

Press:
3x5@25kg

3x8@25kg
Bent over Row
Power Clean
Front Squat
Press
Squat
Curlz

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/14 at 1:27pm
I'm taking 4 weeks for deload/recovery, just finishing up week 1.

On the food, I'm taking in considerably fewer calories but keeping my macros 40/30/30 or thereaboots. My body needs to get used to doing work with less food so I can finally shed some pounds. Week 1 has been very good. Down 6 pounds but will consider that mostly water with maybe a pound or two of good weight gone. Once a week (today) I'll "refuel" and up the calories again to what they were or slightly more. Not a cheat day, those don't work for me. Good food, just more of it. 

On training, I'll hit hot yoga at least three times a week and once off season training starts I'll keep it to 2x per week at the 60 min. class (sooooo much more fun than the 90.) My lifts will be very light but a little more volume each week, again, get used to doing work with fewer calories. 

We'll see how that goes. So far so good.

10/29

60 min. Hot Yoga

11/1

Snatch: 10@ 35kg. Wanted to work on some explosive lifts but kept it very light so recovery isn't an issue.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/14 at 1:26pm
11/2

90 min hot yoga (memo to me: do NOT go into room 15 minutes before instructor. There is no extra credit in hot yoga, it's just F'n hot...longer.) 

11/3

Squat:
Up to 3x7@50kg

Press:
Up to 3x7@25kg

90 min hot yoga. (This will be the only week I go 4 times)

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/14 at 2:44pm
11/5

60 min. hot yoga

In celebration of Bonfire night and what is probably the last 50+ degree, dry day I'm agonna go throw. Stones, light weight, and light hammer. 

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/14 at 2:28pm
11/7

60 min. hot yoga

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/14 at 4:04pm
11/8

Bench:
Up to 3x8@40

Deadlift:
Up to 1x3@70, 75, 80

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/14 at 2:14pm
11/10

Squat:
Up to 3x8@55

Press:
Up to 3x8@30

90 min hot yoga

jp

tosabarbell.com
Bill Boyd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Boyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/14 at 2:53pm
Juli, congrats on a good year. Does the hot yoga loosen you up much? Thinking about trying it out.

Do they allow you to put a gallon of cold water right next to you?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>
  Share Topic