Print Page | Close Window

TRAINING LOG: Joshua Siau

Printed From: Nasgaweb
Category: Nasgaweb Forums
Forum Name: Training Logs
Forum Discription: This forum is for sharing training logs with the community.
URL: http://www.nasgaweb.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11757
Printed Date: 4/17/24 at 8:20pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.11 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: TRAINING LOG: Joshua Siau
Posted By: JSiau10
Subject: TRAINING LOG: Joshua Siau
Date Posted: 2/28/11 at 7:26am
Hey, kinda new to this so here goes. Trainng this year hasn't gone as well as I'd like, but this last saturday had a real good one. had Jason Hamilton come down and we got alot done I think. learned more in one afternoon than I have in months! anyone who wants to join us is welcome to, we get together at Bradley Lake Park in Puyallup, behind the South Hill Mall every saturday.

-------------
I'm just an idiot, pretending to be smart.

Replies:
Date Posted: 3/02/11 at 8:20am
went out to throw the hammer the other day, just to see if all the practice I got in over the weekend wa sa fluke. threw about 3 paces beyond my previous record. doing good!

-------------

Date Posted: 3/07/11 at 4:24am
Had a great training day on saturday. I feel I got alot accomplished in the way of the weight for distance and the weight over bar. I even got a 22 pace hammer throw! that's 2 more than my previous best record. but I oly got it once, so I'll have to work on it. I really need to get one of those surveyers tapes, they're more accurate.

-------------

Date Posted: 3/24/11 at 1:47pm

great time over the last weekend. I got Bret Lathrop out to help me out, and I feel I've made some vast improvement. I can do two spins on weight for distance now!

I also just made a new impliment for weight for distance! looks very professional.

-------------

Posted By: Alan H
Date Posted: 3/24/11 at 2:06pm
Sounds good, Josh. Don't worry about measuring every throw, pacing it off
while you go fetch the implement is fine. That's what I do, it satisfies my
curiosity and doesn't waste a bunch of time.

New weight?   PICS!

-------------
Alan Hebert

Geezer-In-Training

Date Posted: 7/26/11 at 4:47pm

alright, I fell off the wagon for a little while, but with the CLAW coming up this weekend, and Kelso and Belfaire in September, it's time to get back on.

new training regime of 30 min to hour

Monday, Stones.

Tuesday, Heavy Hammer.

wednesday, Sheaf toss.

Thursday, Weight for Distance.

Friday, Weight over Bar.

Saturday, meet the guys at the park and do it all in one swift go.

Wish me luck, folks!

-------------

Date Posted: 7/26/11 at 4:52pm
and as for your picture Alan,  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1559633752522.2073457.1285627373#!/photo.php?fbid=1625177751081&set=a.1559633752522.2073457.1285627373&type=1&theater - http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1559633752522.20734 57.1285627373#!/photo.php?fbid=1625177751081&set=a.15596 33752522.2073457.1285627373&type=1&theater

-------------

Date Posted: 7/28/11 at 4:25am
the new workout thing is already working. I threw the heavy hammer a couple nights ago, and got about an average of 16 paces on each throw. last night I really worked on it and got 18 paces a few times. that's only 2 or 3 paces less than my previous light hammer throw!

-------------

Date Posted: 7/29/11 at 6:39am
I busted two seperate stiched on my sheaf

-------------

Date Posted: 7/30/11 at 5:53pm
Fantastic day at Enumclaw! PR's all around, and the weather was beautiful. it was an honor to throw with the B classers.

-------------

Date Posted: 8/01/11 at 4:48am
My twin brother might be getting into the games. hope he does, wouldn;t that be interesting to see? twins going toe-to-toe.

-------------

Posted By: Daniel McKim
Date Posted: 8/01/11 at 2:35pm
Great work with the PRs this weekend, Josh! It was nice to
meet you and spend some time in the Word. Best wishes for
the rest of the season!

-------------
http://www.believethrower.com" rel="nofollow - http://www.believethrower.com

Date Posted: 8/04/11 at 3:36pm
Thanks Dan. and thanks for hosting that bible study, and though it was more set up by Wally and Kaelyn, the chance to watch you and see what I need to work on. Throw hard!

-------------

Posted By: adam keep
Date Posted: 8/04/11 at 8:24pm
Hey man what school did you go to? I grew up in the Lakewood area and graduated from Clover Park. I used to live right by the South Hill Mall where you guys throw too.

-------------
105kg pro strongman

Date Posted: 8/07/11 at 9:27am
Went throwing with the guys yesterday, and all I can say is uff-dah! I need to work that hard more often!!

-------------

Date Posted: 8/07/11 at 9:29am

Well, I went to Rogers in Puyallup for a while, right now I'm at Pierce college.

-------------

Date Posted: 8/08/11 at 8:07am
Hey guys, I'm getting Married!! those of you who know me, you've met Laura. I spoke with her parents yesterday, and I proposed to her and shhe said yes!

-------------

Date Posted: 8/09/11 at 7:00am
so I jsut got done updating my website. if you get the chance, check it out. http://wheredidmybraingo.webs.com/index.htm

-------------

Date Posted: 8/10/11 at 4:58am

alot of guys on here have more or less the same mentality. macho man. muscle man. real men don't cry, talk about feelings. real men talk about beer and boobs and getting some pussy. Well here is where I stand out. I don't like talking about beer. While I enjoy them, I don't like talking about boobs and pussy. I feel alot of people in the games push this mentality on me, and I feel forced to behave in kind. the only reason I am putting this on here is because I am tired of it and need to say something, but I know this is the one place most of those people will not see it, because almost no one reads my training log.

Jay, Craig, no need to respond. I already know you will tell me to stop complaining. but guess what? this is MY thread. this is where I get to talk about whatever the heck I want. as a good friend told me, I shouldn't put on the big man jsut to impress everyone else. and I am not going to anymore.

-------------

Date Posted: 8/11/11 at 4:23am
I had a nightmare last night that I snapped off one of the tines on my sheaf pitchfork. I actually went out to the garage to make sure it was alright.

-------------

Posted By: C. Smith
Date Posted: 8/11/11 at 5:02am
Originally posted by JSiau10 JSiau10 wrote:

Jay, Craig, no need to respond. I already know you will tell me to stop complaining. but guess what? this is MY thread. this is where I get to talk about whatever the heck I want. as a good friend told me, I shouldn't put on the big man jsut to impress everyone else. and I am not going to anymore.

No complaints from me, like you said, it's your thread and you can talk about whatever you want. 

Carry on. 

-------------

Date Posted: 8/11/11 at 5:08am
I will; however, put a pic of a chick in a bikini in every post you make from here on out.

I kid, I kid. 

-------------

Date Posted: 8/11/11 at 5:13am
wow craig, I didn't know they made bikinis small enough for chickens.

-------------

Posted By: JasonHamilton
Date Posted: 8/11/11 at 7:45am

real men talk about beer and boobs and getting some pussy. Well here is where I stand out. I don't like talking about beer. While I enjoy them, I don't like talking about boobs and pussy.

I dont think you STOPPED talking about boobs once the last time I threw with you.

Your post was also the first mention of pussy I've seen here in 11 months of scanning this forum. Don't think I've heard any guys mention it at any HG event either.

Date Posted: 8/11/11 at 7:48am

Most guys use their logs to talk about throws, front squats, push presses and deadlifts but I suppose this format works too...

BTW, congrats on the engagement!!

Posted By: bigirish01
Date Posted: 8/12/11 at 2:21am

Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

No complaints from me, like you said, it's your thread and you can talk about whatever you want. 

Carry on. 

Same here Josh... Carry on.

-------------
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill

Date Posted: 8/12/11 at 4:13am
Thanks Jason!

-------------

Date Posted: 8/12/11 at 4:14am
Back on topic, I went to the Gym yesterday, and I rediscovered the wonders of the bench press. I haven't bench pressed since I was 16, I forgot how satisfying it feels.

-------------

Date Posted: 8/12/11 at 7:04am
Dang, you got a womens weight for $4.20????   Go back there and get a 28'er too!

AND TELL ME WHERE THIS PLACE IS!!!    (we need a decent womens 28 for WOB).

OK, the season is winding down. You have thrown a bunch, worked with some great guys, and done well. In a few weeks it's going to be time to sit down and re-evaluate.  Do you have a date for the wedding, yet? If so, then that means that will be a priority, of course. 

You need to think on priorities and just how far you want to go with this stuff.  IF your goal is to improve BIGTIME,  then you have November- March to spend in the weight room.  If your goal is to have fun and improve a little bit, then you can throw a little bit during the off season and lift a little bit...like once a week, and you will get better. You can decide that you're keeping this low-key and go do other things during the off season and then start it up again in March.

There will be pressure from some guys to go all-out with this stuff. There will be pressure to get in the weight room 4 days a week during the off-season.  That's fine...FOR THEM.  You need to decide what YOU want to do.  On the flip side, they get to make choices too, and if they decide that your commitment level isn't what they want to "hang with" then they might  kindly let you know that you should be training somewhere else. That's fair, too.

For a Master 50+ I worked incredibly hard this season.  The vast majority of the guys I throw with have some kind of gym routine, but never practice the throws...like...EVER. For them, that's what they want, and I don't look down on them for some perceived "lack of commitment".

Be wise. Make good decisions for yourself. If you decide to GO for it, then lift and train smart.

See ya on the field, Josh!

-------------
Alan Hebert

Geezer-In-Training

Date Posted: 8/12/11 at 7:14am
Oh, and one other thing.   Remember what we talked about at the Bible study.  Respect is earned through integrity... through being honest about your standards, not pushing them off on other people, and not compromising what you know is right for yourself.

Some guys get respect for big throws.
Some guys get respect for having values and not compromising them.
Some guys get respect for both of those things.

SOME guys give the guys with values a hard time.  There's poking fun and laughing.  That's their choice.  The TRUTH behind that is, however, that they respect the guys with those values. It may not much look like it, but that's the truth.  Even if it's not the truth, and the macho man attitude bugs you, that's THEIR issue...THEIR stance. THEIR thing.

You do YOUR thing. Work as hard as your priorities tell you makes sense. Throw your best. Be wise.   Stick to your values, don't compromise them, but don't push them off on anybody else.

....LOL....and quit worrying about it, dude.  Just go throw.

-------------
Alan Hebert

Geezer-In-Training

Date Posted: 8/12/11 at 4:17pm
as for the priorities and off-season, we haven't set a date yet. we are going to wait until we are sure we can support a new life together. as for the off season, I already have a plan for that; as soon as the season ends I'm going to stay out of the field except for maybe once every other week or so, and focus more on the gym work until Jan/feb. it's worked so far so I plan to stick to it. as for the other thing, I agree about what se said in the bible study, which is why I'm changing what I do and how I behave while on the field. I have to be true to me, and I have to make sure I am enjoying my time there, or what's the point? Thank you so much, Alan, for all the sage advice, and helping me through this decision.

-------------

Date Posted: 8/12/11 at 4:35pm

went back to the gym again, felt really good. I haven't worked out that hard in a long time. I 'm going to try to keep working that hard from now on.

-------------

Date Posted: 8/13/11 at 4:38pm

so, time for the embarrassing starter weights.

bench press 50lbs plus however much the bar is plus chains

deadlift 90lbs plus however much the chain is.

haven't really gotten into much more than that.

-------------

Date Posted: 8/14/11 at 5:17pm
great day in the field with the guys. made a few improvements in hammer and alot of improvement in Sheaf.

-------------

Date Posted: 8/15/11 at 4:18am
so I'm going to try to create a consistant gym routine of Bench Press, kettle bell, squats and deadlifts. can anyone think of anything else I should add or substitute for a highland games regiment? yes I am going to look into getting the book Starter Strength like Sir Craig Smith suggested.

-------------

Date Posted: 8/15/11 at 6:49am
Note that Adriane has commented that incline bench translates better to Stones distance than flat bench. A number of guys say that flat bench just tightens them up.  Finally, once Ryan Vierra told me that he got his flat bench up to some hellacious number... 400+ or something and it didn't do a darned thing for his throwing.

My two cents?  If you wanna bench, do incline bench.

My current program, foisted off on me by Mister Spiderman McCallum is basically:

1.) some kind of deadlift, straight or bent leg, but FAST deadlifts

2.) the squat of my choice, but FAST squats, 10 sets of 3 reps..  I make sure that the load is  not so heavy that I can't get my toes an inch off the floor at the top of the lift.  Be sure to come back down with soft knees, flex 'em to take the load.

That's it. Seriously.  To this I add a push (incline bench) one day and a pull (or two) on the alternate day.  My pulls are usually bench rows, but sometimes I do upright rows.

Gotta do some core. So that means situps or leg lifts...or planks, maybe russian twists.

Don't forget to stretch. Dear lord, don't forget to stretch!!

-------------
Alan Hebert

Geezer-In-Training

Posted By: Duncan McCallum
Date Posted: 8/15/11 at 7:14am
OHP

-------------
The man in the arena.

Date Posted: 8/15/11 at 7:27am

so I'm going to try to create a consistant gym routine of Bench Press, kettle bell, squats and deadlifts. can anyone think of anything else I should add or substitute for a highland games regiment? yes I am going to look into getting the book Starting Strength like Sir Craig Smith suggested.

I really recommend this.  While everyone is more or less giving solid advice on what to do, you are really in need of a strength base, and that is why I recommended Starting Strength.  It will not only give you proper programming with some linear progression, it will also help solidify your form on the basics (which the actual program and frequency are designed to do).  That's going to be very important years from now.

No need or reason to get fancy with anything at this point. 

-------------

Date Posted: 8/15/11 at 7:30am
Originally posted by Alan H Alan H wrote:

Note that Adriane has commented that incline bench translates better to Stones distance than flat bench. A number of guys say that flat bench just tightens them up.  Finally, once Ryan Vierra told me that he got his flat bench up to some hellacious number... 400+ or something and it didn't do a darned thing for his throwing.

My two cents?  If you wanna bench, do incline bench.

My current program, foisted off on me by Mister Spiderman McCallum is basically:

1.) some kind of deadlift, straight or bent leg, but FAST deadlifts

2.) the squat of my choice, but FAST squats, 10 sets of 3 reps..  I make sure that the load is  not so heavy that I can't get my toes an inch off the floor at the top of the lift.  Be sure to come back down with soft knees, flex 'em to take the load.

That's it. Seriously.  To this I add a push (incline bench) one day and a pull (or two) on the alternate day.  My pulls are usually bench rows, but sometimes I do upright rows.

Gotta do some core. So that means situps or leg lifts...or planks, maybe russian twists.

Don't forget to stretch. Dear lord, don't forget to stretch!!

Why would you do SLDLs?  I wouldn't recommend those for anyone.

Why are you recommending FAST lifting for someone like Josh on squats and deads?  It's in line with me wondering wtf he was using chains for bench and dead.   

-------------

Date Posted: 8/15/11 at 7:57am
Well, Craig you have a good point. Starting out, going super FAST is potentially bad news if he loses control of the weight.  So something more moderate probably makes better sense.  I was really more thinking along the lines of not trying to push weights that are gonna get him hurt.  Having spent a whole season with a really sore knee from pushing my squat weight too quickly, I'm concerned with that.

But you are right.  FAST FAST focus on FAST is probably not the thing to do, starting out. Just like BIG, BIG focus on the BIGGEST weight Josh can move is probably not the thing to do, either.

...and chains?  Why?  Agreed.  I mean, I suppose they can't HURT, (maybe they can??)  but why get that complicated?  No point to it.

---

The straight leg dead lifts, I believe, are to work hamstrings.  BTW, that program ends today, since this is my last gym workout before P'town...got a backpacking vacation coming up.

-------------
Alan Hebert

Geezer-In-Training

Date Posted: 8/15/11 at 8:15am
I just looked up the reader reviews for Starting Strength on Amazon.com and uh....

...wow.

I think I might have to own that.

-------------
Alan Hebert

Geezer-In-Training

Date Posted: 8/15/11 at 8:16am

The straight leg dead lifts, I believe, are to work hamstrings. 

RDL > SLDL

-------------

Date Posted: 8/15/11 at 2:47pm
I brought squats into my workout, but had to take out deadlifts for today.

-------------

Posted By: Sean
Date Posted: 8/16/11 at 12:46am

Don't worry about speed bench, chains, bands or anything else like that until you stop progressing on regular training.

Craig's right. The RDL is infinitely superior to the SLDL.

Ab work, mobility work (simple 6, agile 8), stick with triples on the big stuff, volume work on dumbells.

Never read Starting Strength, but I havent heard anything bad about it either.

Date Posted: 8/16/11 at 4:59am

I had a heart-toheart with a good friend on here, and after hearing what he had to say I've decided to scope around and see what are the most common weightlifting exercises on here, to make a new workout plan. it's looking like the new lineup will be

deadlift, squats, hang cleans, incline bench press, Kettlebell for WOB rythm, swimming for aerobics.

no more talk, time to act.

-------------

Date Posted: 8/16/11 at 5:00am
so I see a bunch of people using something, and I want to ask not to use it, but to understand it. I see a bunch of guys pull some blue thing on their knees for while they throw. what is it and what is the purpose of it?

-------------

Date Posted: 8/16/11 at 5:02am
so as soon as I finish in the gym today I will be back here with my starting rep weights for these events, and my max 1 rep weights for each. see you then.

-------------

Date Posted: 8/16/11 at 6:41am

Josh,

Have you considered the 'Shake Weight'?

Date Posted: 8/16/11 at 6:54am

Well, Craig you have a good point. Starting out, going super FAST is potentially bad news if he loses control of the weight.  So something more moderate probably makes better sense.  I was really more thinking along the lines of not trying to push weights that are gonna get him hurt.  Having spent a whole season with a really sore knee from pushing my squat weight too quickly, I'm concerned with that.

But you are right.  FAST FAST focus on FAST is probably not the thing to do, starting out. Just like BIG, BIG focus on the BIGGEST weight Josh can move is probably not the thing to do, either.

...and chains?  Why?  Agreed.  I mean, I suppose they can't HURT, (maybe they can??)  but why get that complicated?  No point to it.

---

The straight leg dead lifts, I believe, are to work hamstrings.  BTW, that program ends today, since this is my last gym workout before P'town...got a backpacking vacation coming up.

I think telling Josh not to worry about fast reps had more to do with him needing to lift heavy on basic comound movements rather than avoiding the possible dangers of said fast reps.

Josh, I think its already been said but stick to the compound movements...5x5 or a 5,3,1 program 2 or 3x / week.

Since I live relatively close, we can go hit the gym together sometime. I'll show you the proper way to do wrist curls in the squat rack.

Date Posted: 8/16/11 at 10:11am

just got back from the gym, here are the numbers.

squat: 140lbs x 8 reps, 3 sets

Hang cleans: 20kg x 5 reps, 3 sets

incline bench press: 50lbs x 5 reps, 3 sets

Deadlift: went light with 20kg x 5 reps, 2 sets

didn't do any kettle bell because squats really took it out of me. Plus 3 sets of 12 on a machine which I don't know the name for, coming to a grande total of 100 pulls. I think I'm going to take the machine out of the routine though, I just can't think of what it's contributing.

-------------

Date Posted: 8/16/11 at 10:22am
Originally posted by JasonHamilton JasonHamilton wrote:

Jason I saw that infomercial and thought to myself, "why am I going to waste $30 on that when I have one built in?" I have never been able to take that impliment seriously as a weight building tool. maybe a tone builder, but I don't care about tone, I care about strength. 

-------------

Date Posted: 8/16/11 at 3:31pm

Originally posted by JasonHamilton JasonHamilton wrote:

Jason I saw that infomercial and thought to myself, "why am I going to waste $30 on that when I have one built in?" 

I was j/k but your comment makes me think of a South Park episode...

Date Posted: 8/17/11 at 4:26pm
UGH! No training or working out today, got a new job that had me hauling around metal grid around all day in 83 degree weather. I think I sweat off 20 pounds today.

-------------

Date Posted: 8/18/11 at 3:22pm

again didn't get to the gym today. I am definately going tomorrow, If I don't get back soon I will lose my momentum.

-------------

Date Posted: 8/19/11 at 5:46am
#1 ingredient to improvement is going to be commitment.  Miss a day or two in a row? No biggie. Miss 4-5, not so good.  Again, ANY workout, as long as you don't get hurt or really tear down tissue, is better than NO workout.  But if you want solid results, then consistency over the long term is what you have to have.

Don't worry about the weight. The numbers will go up.......

...As long as you're CONSISTENT.

-------------
Alan Hebert

Geezer-In-Training

Date Posted: 8/19/11 at 8:32am
no I know that, the problem is I am so very ADHD, if I start a habit and stop for a day or two I often don't get started back up again.

-------------

Date Posted: 8/19/11 at 8:37am

I've been visiting my old friend Youtube, and after a few hours of quality time, I went out to a nearby baseball diamond in a park, and got the sheaf over the backdrop. maybe 16 feet up, but that's still better than my current recorded throw.

-------------

Date Posted: 8/19/11 at 12:35pm

I figured out what I'm going to focus on the next two months:sheaf toss, weight over bar, and Heavy weight for distance.

-------------

Date Posted: 8/21/11 at 12:09pm
definately doing better with sheaf

-------------

Date Posted: 9/01/11 at 4:43pm
well, Hood Canal is this weekend. looks like I only have tomorrow night to get in a little more practice, then next weekend is Kelso.

-------------

Date Posted: 9/02/11 at 5:52am
Very, very, very sort of but not really general guideline that I use, but other people don't, necessarily.

First 2/3 of offseason (late October - beginning of Feb)....lift big weights.  Try to push my 1-rep or 3-rep max up by some significant amount.  I'm in the gym, religiously, 3 x / week... throw shot put or discus or something about once every two weeks.  Actually I throw more than that because this is my "track" season--- Such as it is.

I have no gym access curing Christmas Break so I just throw  shot put and discus a lot. I think it's a good break from pounding the weights really hard.

Last 1/3rd of offseason (Beginning of Feb - late March) .... lift smaller weights and make them go fast.  I do more Oly lifts (probably just high pulls and hang snatches, now)  and do some pylometics and general jumping around.   I start throwing Scottish more regularly around the middle of March.

The Season  begins (for me, mentally) around April 1st.  I lift 1x a week and throw 2x a week.  Lifting is lighter weights, fast, always with one or two basic core exercises in there.

In the 3 weeks before a couple select "Big Games"  I build up to working out hard 4x a week, then taper off 10 days before the event.  .....like Enumclaw and Pleasanton.  Must get at least 4-5 days rest before a big Games.

-------------
Alan Hebert

Geezer-In-Training

Date Posted: 9/05/11 at 3:11pm
so, Had a fantastic time at the First Belfair games. the small athletic field was kind of humbling. sunday, I ripped off a callous for the first time, and it hurt like a mother mailto:f#%$@r - f#%$@r .

-------------

Date Posted: 9/06/11 at 4:08am
Josh your form is improving especially in your WFD!  lookin good!

-------------
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill

Date Posted: 9/06/11 at 3:11pm

Thanks Jay, that really means alot to me coming from you.

-------------

Date Posted: 9/08/11 at 2:28pm
well, it's almost that time. I have the day off tomorrow, so my trip list is: Clean my car, buy snackage,  pack, load everything and everyone in the car, gas up the car, and head on down to my lodgings in Ryderwood. see you folks in Kelso!

-------------

Date Posted: 9/08/11 at 4:46pm

As I was planning my trip for Kelso, it dawned on me: I'm coming up on the end of my second season in the highland games. and while I know this isn't any huge milestone, it made me realize I am really doing this. In most things I've done I give up long before now. but it's like I couldn't quit this if I tried. Like God has finally led me to what I'm meant to do.

-------------

Date Posted: 9/11/11 at 5:45pm
what a fantastic note to end the 2011 season on! I beat almost all my old scores, including my WOB score for even the weight I did throw. Guess that's my last Novice games.

-------------

Date Posted: 9/12/11 at 6:28am
I saw your Kelso numbers....BIG improvement for you, Josh!

-------------
Alan Hebert

Geezer-In-Training

Date Posted: 9/12/11 at 7:59am
Thanks Alan.

-------------

Date Posted: 9/14/11 at 4:44pm

Got back to the gym today. I think I pulled a muscle in my ass.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/01/11 at 10:32am

so, got to the gym today. felt really really good.

warmup with 16kg kettlebell.

Power clean   20kg x 8 ; 30kg x8x2

Deadlift   30kg x8x3

squats   90lbsx5 ; 110lbsx5x2

elevated benchpress   70lbs x4 ; 60lbs x5x2

feels good to be back at the gym. can anyone think of any muscle group I'm missing?

-------------

Date Posted: 10/01/11 at 5:44pm
OK, you had two-three weeks off. Call that your recovery period from all that throwing. Now....if you want to really improve, you won't miss that length of time again all winter. You can miss a day, maybe even two... but three weeks? Nope.

so the muscle group you need to exercise is the motivation muscle group.

Or NOT. It's all about priorities, never forget that.  You will set your priorities, and if they don't include 3x a week gym workouts, then that's fine. Your call. But then don't expect massive improvement in the throws  next season.  You need to decide what's important.

-------------
Alan Hebert

Geezer-In-Training

Date Posted: 10/02/11 at 1:01am
What's your workout look like over the next 8 weeks? 12? 24?

Date Posted: 10/03/11 at 5:54pm

went back to the gym today. warmed up with Kettlebell. also used a machine that works my triceps and I think the biceps a little. two sets of 12 reps, 200lbs.

power cleans: 30kg x7 reps x2 sets

40kg x7 reps

deadlift: 40kg x8 reps x2 sets

50kg x8 reps x2 sets

squats: 110lbs x5 reps x4 sets

elevated benchpress: 60lbs x5 reps x2 sets

finished off with 5 minutes on the bikes and 20 minutes in the hot tub then pool. I have to say, I didn't think it would work, but it really does work to clean out the gunk. I'm not nearly as sore or stiff the next day.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/04/11 at 5:56pm
tell you what, if I feel this good after all workouts I'll have to bump up to 4 days a week in the gym instead of just 2!

-------------

Posted By: Megan Melham
Date Posted: 10/05/11 at 4:04am

tell you what, if I feel this good after all workouts I'll have to bump up to 4 days a week in the gym instead of just 2!

If you do decide to bump it up to 4 days a week I would suggest taking a serious look at splitting up your workouts into more manageable sections so you don't burn yourself out. Doing power cleans, DLs and squats all in one day can put some serious strain on your muscles and tire you out. Tired usually leads to bad form which leads to injuries.

Also, don't forget to throw assistance work and STRETCHING in there to keep everything happy. It's all about balance. Have you written anything down schedule-wise? What days you can work out, how much time you have, what you want to work on a specific day? All this stuff helps. My two cents.

Date Posted: 10/06/11 at 3:44pm
I think I talked my twin into going with me to the gym now and again. that should be a huge help with my motivation

-------------

Date Posted: 11/06/11 at 4:10pm
I hate mud when I'm trying to throw. and apparently it
hates me. Messed up my ankle on a spin for open stone. last
time I train without my throwing shoes.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/07/11 at 1:58am

I think I talked my twin into going with me to the gym now and again. that should be a huge help with my motivation

WAIT A MINUTE... YOU MEAN THERE 2 OF YOU? OMG

-------------
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill

Date Posted: 11/07/11 at 2:13am
Where's all the gym workouts since the last posted one on 10/4?

-------------

Date Posted: 11/07/11 at 7:51am
there haven't been any. I haven't had the money to go, so
I've been biking around town.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/07/11 at 7:58am
Personally I think you have a real lack of motivation. I cant see how you would ever improve as Highland Games Athlete if you need to be "motivated" to use the gym and have not worked out in over a month. You might be just wasting your time. Perhaps Im being a bit harsh but I really cant see you improving if you cant get yourself motivated. Its what you are able to do when no one is watching you or pushing you, which shows what you are made of.

-------------
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill

Date Posted: 11/07/11 at 8:36am
Josh, go buy a $5 , 50 pound sandbag at Lowe's. Wrap it  in duct tape and start picking it up and putting it down and doing deep knee bends.  Seriously.

Look on Craigslist for free weights that people want to get rid of. You can easily put together a bar and 100-200 pounds of weights for next to nothing.  Look on Craigslist for a free bench, they're on there ALL the time. 

This doesn't have to cost a lot.  but you have to DO IT.

-------------
Alan Hebert

Geezer-In-Training

Date Posted: 11/07/11 at 6:26pm
... I can honestly say I never even considered any of that,
Alan. I'll have to start browsing.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/08/11 at 1:41am

Rocks are free and come in various sizes. You can press, curl, push press, row, deadlift, spin, shoulder, carry, throw in multiple ways.

Also head over to http://www.rosstraining.com - http://www.rosstraining.com and read many articles.

Maybe not ideal for HG training, per se, but there's no such thing as can't. Only won't.

Date Posted: 11/08/11 at 5:43am
Make a sandbag.  Go look on YouTube for sandbag workouts. They cost next to nothing and they are great workout implements.

Craigslist for weights. Even if you have to buy a few, and even if you have to use a 1-inch bar instead of an Olympic bar you can easily put together a rig with dumbells and enough weight to squat, press, and do deadlifts for minimal cash.

Slosh pipe for core.... go look on YouTube. This might cost you all of ten dollars.

Push-ups. Sit ups.  Get a 30-40 pound rock and pick it up and throw it all over the place.

Get a biggish truck tire. Just go down to the local tire store and beg them for a biggish truck tire. It doesn't have to be a tractor tire.  Now get a  3-4 foot piece of  half inch or even 1-inch  rebar from Home Depot.  Again, this might cost eight dollars, maybe?      Jump into the tire, jump out of the tire. Do it again.  Whale away  on the tire for 10 good slams with the rebar, leading with your right hand.  Now slam it ten times with the rebar, leading with the left hand.   Now pick up the tire and lift it over your head.   Do it again.  Repeat that routine for 10 minutes or until you go through the whole thing 3x.

Get a 20 foot piece of big, but cheap rope. Again...what?  Ten bucks, maybe 15 at Lowe's?    Tie it around the tire. Now drag that tire 100 yards down the street, with the tire in front of you, pulling backwards. Turn around and drag it back again, facing the other way.  Go as FAST as you can. Repeat.

Seriously, if you just did this...

A.)  that jump-slam-lift tire routine
B.)  20 minutes loading the sandbag and doing deep knee bends with it
C.)  5 minutes with the slosh pipe
D.)  tire drags for ten minutes
E.)  push-ups until you can't do any more.. as you get stronger, say when you can do 2 x 15, elevate your feet  on a milk crate or on the tire and keep going.
F.)  20+ sit ups
G.) 30-40 pound stone loads to your shoulder and then two-handed throws, 10x  forwards and then 10x backwards

If you did THAT  routine 3x a week all winter, you'd be an animal, Josh.. That routine will take you an hour, and the equipment is mostly free or less than ten bucks.

If you can scrounge a weight bench and a mess of weights and a bar off of craigslist then you can be even more specific.

-------------
Alan Hebert

Geezer-In-Training

Posted By: Andrew Akins
Date Posted: 11/08/11 at 10:16am

Look on Craigslist for free weights that people want to get rid of. You can easily put together a bar and 100-200 pounds of weights for next to nothing.  Look on Craigslist for a free bench, they're on there ALL the time. 

This doesn't have to cost a lot.  but you have to DO IT.

This works!!! All of my equipment I picked up from craigslist or the local recycle center (I'm there at least every 2 weeks). I have about 280 lbs of weights, a nice curl bar, 2 barbells and a Weider home gym with 2 - 110 lb stacks. I managed to get all of this for less than $30. The home gym was free from someone moving to a smaller home.

Date Posted: 11/09/11 at 2:19pm
went for a bike ride today with my Fiance. she's in even
worse shape than I am, so we just rode around the
neighborhood.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/10/11 at 10:55am
Josh.... SeaTac Craigslist.

mess of weights, couple of 1-inch bars, dumbell bars, clamps.  $25

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/spo/2695940657.html - http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/spo/2695940657.html

Camano Island....bar and hundred pounds of plates. Hey, it's not a lot of weight, but dude, they look like they're in good shape.... $35.  Get in the car and go get them.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/spo/2657867680.html - http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/spo/2657867680.html

If you bought those two things, you'd have enough weight to work hard all winter long.

Here's a nice, totally basic bench....$40

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/spo/2694102439.html - http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/spo/2694102439.html

You want to do more stuff?  Same money, nicer bench with uprights so you can do incline bench press...good for upping your open stone numbers, Josh...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/spo/2682058756.html - http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/spo/2682058756.html

You team that bench up with the weights and bars in the first two links and you can lift your brains out all winter long, Josh and you spent less than $100.

Holy crap...a squat rack for peanuts!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/spo/2694167399.html - http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/spo/2694167399.html

Is that too much money?  Here's a cheapo bench and a crapload of junky weights and some rusty bars, but you know what?  They'll still makes you stronger.  THIrtY LoUsY BUckS.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/spo/2691770491.html - http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/spo/2691770491.html

If that's not trendy enough for you, then look at these...

Look, a whole freaking Marcy machine with a crapload of weight....TWeNTy FiVE BUcKs in Gig Harbor.  You might have to shoot WD40 into the bearings or replace some cables. Big whoop.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/spo/2683648843.html - http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/spo/2683648843.html

Weider machine in Shelton...sure it's a '"machine" but you can do all sort of crap with this machine.  Lat pull-downs, flies, leg extensions etc. etc...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/spo/2693838163.html - http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/spo/2693838163.html

-------------
Alan Hebert

Geezer-In-Training

Date Posted: 11/10/11 at 2:09pm
I've been checking Craigslist since you mentioned it. I've
found a lot of things I like, now I'm just trying to narrow
it down.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/11/11 at 1:38am

At the risk of seeming less than productive with my comments...

Josh maybe you should try this workout device (see link).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ewsEKVJVA

Date Posted: 11/11/11 at 1:39am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ewsEKVJVA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ewsEKVJVA

Hopefully, this will work.

Date Posted: 11/11/11 at 12:07pm
Jason, that is wrong in so many ways.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/13/11 at 4:32pm
I threw some stone earlier tonight, felt pretty good. I
think I'm starting to get a handle on the spin in Open
Stone. For the record, is the spin in OS like the spin in
WFD, by which I mean do I need to try to get low? I have
been told that in WFD, the lower to the ground you can get,
the faster you can spin. does this translate to OS?

-------------

Date Posted: 11/13/11 at 5:16pm
funny thing. when I was in highschool, we had a home gym.
had a treadmill, and had a benchpress bench and all the
parts to go with it. We were going to turn the garage into
an entire home gym, and never even got close. never used
it, never had a need for it, so we got rid of it. 4 years
later, I would give anything to have it back.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/16/11 at 2:58pm
I have started a workout program provided for me by Garrett Middleton. I think it will work, as long as I don't over-do it in the squats again. My thighs hurt to bend, more than they usually do after working out. And I am going hiking tomorrow, so that should be interesting.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/18/11 at 4:37am
so, first day of phase one, a couple days ago was:
bench press 2 sets of 12 at 40lbs, one set of 12 at 50.
incline bench press 2 sets of 12 at 40
squats 2 sets of 12 at 70. may have pushed it a bit.
triceps curls 2 sets of 15 at 30

only about half the workout given to me, but I was on a
time crunch. going back today for another workout.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/19/11 at 3:01pm
day two, yesterday.
power clean: 3x12, 30kg all three
military press: 2x12, 30lb both
dead lift: 3x10, 30kg then 20kg then 20kg
side raises: 2x15, 12.5lb then 10lb
front raises: 2x15, 10lb both
bicep curls: 3x12, 20lb all three
step-ups: 2x20, 25lb both
calve raises: 30lb then 35lb then 45lb
ab crunches

really getting into it now. really enjoying it, actually.
I think Duncan was right, my problem was I didn't have a
good program. thanks to Duncan for the kick in the butt I
needed, and thanks to Garrett for providing me a program.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/19/11 at 3:10pm
day three.
Overhead squats: 3x12, 20lb then 10lb then 10lb
dumbell bench: 3x12, 20lb then 25lb then 30lb
upright rows: 3x12, 20lb then 30lb then 30lb
calve raises: 4x30, 45lb then 50lb then 55lb then 90lb
ab crunches: 2x20, 20lb then 30lb

something I haven't mentioned before is that when I finish
the work in the weight room, I cool down by spending 10
minutes on the bikes then sit in the hottub a little, then
swimming laps. cools down great and works my muscles enough
that they aren't so stiff the next day.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/20/11 at 6:05pm
So I ask again, do I want to try to stay low while spinning
in the Open Stone in order to gain more speed? I've been
told I should for WFD, does this apply to open stone as
well?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.11 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk