Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Old Novice - Russ Campbell

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hulk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Novice - Russ Campbell
    Posted: 9/18/20 at 8:14pm
I hope to inspire people. No throwing background. Late 2018 was intro to HG. I am currently on week 2 of a pre-comp period - 2x2 week mesocycles. In 3 weeks I'll do a practice comp.
A little background:
40 years ago - 480 back sguat, 550 deadlift, 330 bench; 365 hang power clean, 405 rack clean, 405 jerk
20 years ago - 375 front squat, 265x3 power clean, 292 clean, 305 jerk
Now - turning 65 in 2021! Hoping to be competitive. - 175x3 power clean, 120x3 push press, 220x5 Zercher squats
Best throws from 2019: BS 22, OS 25, LWD 30, HWD 22, LH 60, HH 48, WOB 11, Sheaf 16, Caber 17-70

I've spent 4 weeks doing lifting to build up strength, this week was focusing more on power. 2x throwing (stones, hammers, weights for distance) and 2x lifting (power snatch, power clean, pulls, squats, push press). Next week I will be 3x lifting and 2-3x throwing. We'll see if my fitness level holds up.

Edited by The Hulk - 9/22/20 at 4:02pm
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/21/20 at 2:10pm
Welcome back to NASGA!!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
The Hulk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hulk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/22/20 at 4:12pm
Thanks Jeff. So after doing a lot of pulls and squats the last 4 weeks, Monday's weight session never got above 80% and only 1-2 reps per set. And no I didn't  have any reps in reserve. I was just tired. Basically a light day of push press, power snatch from blocks, clean pull and zercher squat. 
Tuesday was throwing. It's been a while but my strength work makes my throwing feel better even if the distances aren't great. I kept it simple to start, Braemar, fooling around with a step back and modified SA for open stone, 1 and two turn LWD, and 1 - 3 turns of heavy hammer. Transferring strength from Olympic lifts, and continuing to work on throws technique is my focus for the next few weeks.Then I'll take a couple weeks off to reset and set some strength goals for year end.
The Hulk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hulk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/25/20 at 11:01am
So that was a rough week for me. Three days of lifting - 80-90% with an emphasis on speed, 1-2 reps. Then two days throwing, messing around with a variety of techniques. But I could tell by my sleep that my nervous system was being fried. So after that big week I am hoping that supercompensation kicks in over the next two weeks before I do a solo mock competition. Next week will be 2 days lifting - fast, no more pulls - just hang snatch & clean, push press, squat & 2-3 days of throwing. The last few weeks I have added 1 set of squat jumps to the end of my squat workout with 20% of 1RM. It makes feel like I can fly. While this week took a lot out of me, my Friday lifting workout was the best of the three. Another surprise was my morning aches and hip/groin injuries seemed to fade away. To me success is making progress, injury free. Hitting my marks will be the goal in 2 weeks.

Edited by The Hulk - 9/26/20 at 10:25am
The Hulk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hulk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/20 at 11:52am
So after a tiring week last week, I decided to take last weekend completely off - I sat around doing nothing. What a mistake! After feeling loose and healthy despite being a little over-trained, my hip flexors seized up and I had a few other aches and pains. I have to take days off more seriously - i.e. train lightly, move around a bit. So the first few days this week were painful. Despite this I had 2 very good, fast, 80-90% weightlifting workouts. I had planned only 2 or 3 days of throwing but I find that light throws help me heal so I threw 3 days this week and I plan to throw this weekend as well. Another reason for the increased emphasis on throws is that I haven't fully made the transformation from weightlifting strength to throwing strength and my technique is very rusty with the lack of competitions this year. I'm also experimenting with a wide variety of throwing techniques - partly for fitness, partly for fun and partly to see what feels most comfortable and has the most upside for me. Next week will be programmed like a competition week with just 1 day of weights and light throwing every day. I have managed to keep up my strength so that should carry me over. So we'll see where we are at the end of this week. Then I'm going to take 2 weeks "off". Not really. No heavy weights & no full throws but I've got a lot of things that I'll play around with.
The Hulk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hulk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/20 at 1:46pm

As I work through this pre-“competition” week, my thoughts are already turning towards my goals for the rest of this year. I’ll then use the next two weeks to transition to a program to help me to move forward.

First, my goals are two-fold. Throwing goals and weightlifting goals. My throwing goals are based on three benchmarks. The qualifying standards for the World Masters, the 10th best result by an athlete in my category in 2019 and the best result in my category. My strengths and weaknesses relative to these benchmarks are pretty clear. I then divide the throws into two categories that I call strength throws and technical throws. So if I’m relatively poor in sheaf, WOB and Braemar I know that I need to improve my strength with weights. Since I’m awful in almost everything, my first priority is actually WFD and Hammer. Sheaf and WOB are just behind.

My weightlifting goals are similarly based on three benchmarks. In this case I use the qualifying standard for my class for the World Masters Weightlifting Championships, the winner of my age/weight class in 2019 and the record holder in my age/weight class. Using ratios and percentages I can figure out what my goals are for a variety of lifts. For example, if the winner had a 210 pound clean & jerk, his 1RM back squat is estimated to be 295. A triple would then be estimated at 265. That would be one of my benchmarks. My weakest lifts are actually the speed lifts – snatch & push press. So while pulls and squats will be 50% of my training through year end, in the new year power will have to be emphasized. I am hoping that more muscle in the coming months will translate into more power later.

So for the next two weeks my priorities will be active rest and physical prep for the program for the rest of the year which will emphasize heavy strength work. General fitness activities will include tennis, basketball, and the elliptical. I am going to try a variety of squat variations – back, front, overhead, zercher, Jefferson, frog all with an effort to develop my legs in different ways and get greater depth in the squat. Finally I’ll spend more time on mobility and flexibility. As always my priorities are to minimize injury, allow for only modest overtraining (I am especially vulnerable to working out too hard), and staying focused on my weaknesses.

The Hulk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hulk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/20 at 1:32pm
So I had my little personal test competition on Friday. I am very happy with my prep with one major exception. My strength & speed felt good, I had supercompensated so I had the endurance to do all the throws, and my little injuries were not noticeable after warming up. I did a weightlifting workout on Wednesday and my last throws were on Monday. I think this paid off in freshness. My WFD throws were awful though. I knew that was going to happen because my workouts over the last few weeks in this throw were terrible. I think that not throwing WFD in competition & therefore in training this year has been my biggest setback. So I'm generally happy where I am at this point - close to all-time bests. As mentioned, the next two weeks will focus on squat variations, some athletic stuff & mobility. I've already programmed my weights and a little throwing through year end with another test competition in mid-December. 
The Hulk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hulk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/20 at 2:20pm
I have been thinking about my prep for competition day last week. I think I know where I went wrong with my WFD. My pulls weeks ago were going well ie. they were getting stronger with good form (I do snatch & clean pulls as an alternative to deadlifts). In fact I felt that my pulls were improving too quickly compared to other lifts. Also my hang clean has always been very good. So I backed off pulls and 80%+ hang cleans too soon in retrospect. It's really hard to keep the balance right between throwing and weights and also between emphasizing particular throws or particular weightlifting exercises. While focusing on weaknesses is definitely a priority, it can't be the only priority. Everything else has to be kept up.
So in December when I prepare for another mock competition day, I am going to keep pulls in the program longer but probably only in the 90-100% of my 1RM clean range so that I sustain power without losing my hard - earned strength from previous weeks. Hang cleans will also get a little more attention with low volume but higher intensity than the last go around. The other change I'll make is to my throwing schedule. I felt like my throwing didn't come together quickly enough. 3-4 weeks out I was only throwing 2-3 times a week. As a relative novice, the throwing patterns aren't instinctual for me (Also research says that older athletes have more difficulty with acquiring and maintaining skills). 1-2 weeks out I do throw almost every day. But I'm going to try adding throwing every day to my program 3-4 weeks out from a competition. Now I know what you are thinking. I'm adding more volume to my weights and throws in the competition period and risking fatigue. As I mentioned before I know that I am vulnerable to over-training (whether it's because of age, too aggressive goals, poor conditioning, or an inability to recover). But keeping the volume of pulls and hang cleans and throws on the low end should help to mitigate the effects of fatigue. Volume is usually considered to be a bigger contributor to fatigue than intensity. And I am not adding anything to competition week so that should also help to supercompensate and be fresh and rested for competition day. I am much more patient than I used to be. A bad workout used to be very upsetting to me. Now I realize that small & medium workouts - even if unplanned - are essential to recovery, injury prevention and progress. These days bad workouts on one day are often followed by good workouts on the next day! And more importantly long term progress is unaffected by a so-called bad day. I would never have believed this was possible in my younger days.
The Hulk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hulk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/20 at 5:17pm
Spending a lot of time thinking about the next phase of my training. I am enjoying light squatting and other physical activities for another week but I've also been re-reading a lot of material on strength building. One of the major challenges with this sport, it seems to me, is that max strength & power are obviously critical but it is difficult to spend enough time on building strength because of the complexity of the throwing challenge.
Building strength & power is usually relatively straight forward. Squats, pulls, presses are fundamental. Then transitioning to power can be accomplished with the Olympic lifts, squat jumps and specialty exercises. Many athletes in our sport follow what hammer/discus/shot put throwers do. But I am throwing heavier weights than what the hammer/discus/shot put throwers contend with. And since they spend 50% of their time, I'm told, lifting weights, I need to lift weights even more than that. I need to be relatively stronger than them. OK so my program of lifting and throwing should in theory tilt towards more lifting.
What throws a wrench in this model is that we have so many events. Even if we collapse stones, WFD & Hammer into 3 events there is still WOB, Sheaf and Caber to contend with. So there are 6 events at least. And max strength & power won't necessarily translate to throwing further. So it seems that I have to add more specific strength exercises - as many of you do. But that's a trade-off that erodes core strength & power. For example, football players have to run around the field for a whole game. But if they spend too much time training for running, their strength will be compromised. If a lineman has to block a powerful defensive tackle, he wants to be in tip-top strength condition at that moment. So my conclusion is that I too want max strength & power not specific strength in small muscles. As I transition towards a competition, I will add more throwing - even overweight implements for specific strength. (Ask me about my 28 lb shot).
To summarize, I only have so much time & energy to train & recover, I need to overly emphasize lifting, I have to achieve some undefinable minimum standard of strength and power to be able to optimally execute the technique needed to throw, and when I transition to sport specific strength I'll throw overweight stuff.
So my weight training for the next 6 weeks after this next week of slacking will be focused on lifting with only occasional throwing. I like doing small workouts more frequently - 5 days a week with variations of snatch, snatch pull, clean, clean pull, squat, press each performed 2x a week. I'll stick mainly to 5 reps for squats and pulls and 3 reps for Olympic lifts. Heavy days will be 90% of 1RM, Light days/weeks no lower than 60%, averaging around 80%. My goal is to hit lifting goals as I described in an earlier post.      

Edited by The Hulk - 10/25/20 at 12:16pm
The Hulk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hulk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/20 at 12:24pm
I fooled around with some different squats over the last two weeks but the big news for me was returning to depth jumps. I haven't done them in a long time and they are risky for big/old guys. After squats, I used a modest 8" block to step off. I felt it afterwards. I am going to add these in to my program later on when I am in a power-building phase. This is an advanced exercise so my sets/reps will be low and I'll pair squat to get the post-activation potentiation with the depth jumps.
So back to serious lifting next week. I know that this first week will start slowly after 2 weeks "off". I'll follow a two week program, followed by a deloading week. The standard mesocycle is 3 weeks on/1 off but I get bored easily and 2/1 suits me better. Monday - 80% objective-snatch-3 reps, clean pulls-5 reps. (My percentages are based on my perceived best for the day. Example - if 200 is my recent 1RM snatch , that would imply 3 reps of 160 is 80%. So 160 is my theoretical 3RM best. That is my goal and upper limit for the day. I won't go beyond 160 even if feeling good. And if 150x3 is all I can do, I stop there. I keep reps in reserve). Tuesday-90% objective-Press-5 reps, Squat-5 reps, Wednesday-80% objective-Olympic only-snatch-3 reps, Clean-3-reps, Thursday-80% objective-Push Press-3 reps, Snatch pull-5 reps, Friday-90% objective-Clean-3 reps, Squat-5 reps. The following week will have the same exercises but with slightly higher intensity/lower volume.
Generally I target 3-5 working sets per exercise.  

Edited by The Hulk - 5 hours 20 minutes ago at 1:40pm
The Hulk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hulk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/20 at 12:04pm
It's interesting (to me). Two weeks off plus a week prior of tapering & yet my strength is within 5% of recent highs. I know in theory that strength persists longer than other qualities like speed but it's still nice to know that it is also true for me.
I seem to be settling into the rule of two. I do two 90%+ days per week, I train each major exercise twice a week, I do two weeks on/1 week deload.
Just read an academic article that showed that performance after tapering with either light or heavy weight training for two weeks showed no difference. There was some impact from heavy training on important variables like strength, power and RFD but these didn't translate into better performance on competition day. The study looked at throwers. Again, I think that using our heavier HG implements would accentuate the gains shown and if tapered properly would result in better performance. The key part I think is making that transition from strength & power training into specific strength for throwing our implements & then speed - call it RFD, impulse, explosiveness - whatever. This transition probably takes a little more than 2 weeks. In December, I'll lift heavy weights up until 1 week out (High intensity but low volume) & I'll start overweight throws 6 weeks out to translate power to specific strength.

Edited by The Hulk - 10/27/20 at 3:05pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic