Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » A.D.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Event Insurance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weaselking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Event Insurance
    Posted: 2/21/07 at 6:02am

As we are looking at doing more games in northern IL & south-central WI, the subject of event insurance has become a limiting factor.  It's easy enough to have the festival cover us, but games that aren't connected to a festival are a concern.  At least in Madison, I need a million dollar policy to stage an athletic competition of any sort, which according to the insurance broker I talked to yesterday will cost $411.  Not bad, but as it is an independent game, there's not going to be much of a budget beyond any sponsorship we'd be forced to get and throwing fees, which might grow a game beyond what we want.  The broker said most companies wouldn't even touch it because, of all things, the sheaf toss scared them.  No mention of hammer or caber which I would think are higher risks to the spectators and throwers, respectively.  Ignorance effects rates.

What's the practical reality of throwing a game and needing insurance?  Would you bother if it was just a thrower's game and you didn't expect spectators beyond the casual passerby and athlete tag-alongs, like Decatur?  Are there any insurance companies more familiar with the risks of highland games that might beat the price I was quoted?  Any other insights that would be helpful?

Presently, my opinion is that athletes understand the risk and aren't prone to litigation, therefore insurance isn't absolutely necessary unless you're trying to court spectators.  Is this a reasonable asssumption?

Edited by weaselking
We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality. - Ayn Rand
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/21/07 at 7:06am

One is at risk of a lawsuit every time your involved in a games, whether it be a competitor, judge, or AD.  I have always been told the waiver is not worth the paper it is written on. 

If it is a backyard game and no one has paid to throw, one's home owners should cover it, like it would cover a pickup basketball game on your driveway.

If not a backyard games and there is no insurance, those organizing the event is self insuring the risk - The chance that an insurable event will occur is low and can be decreased by how the field is set up (direction of throw, position of uprights, controlled access, ...) but if one does occur, it will have a high financial impact.

Athletes may not be prone to litigation but it only takes one and if an unfortunate accident occurs, the expense of that accident may force the lawsuit.

Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
mcdonl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcdonl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/01/07 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by McSanta McSanta wrote:

One is at risk of a lawsuit every time your involved in a games, whether it be a competitor, judge, or AD.  I have always been told the waiver is not worth the paper it is written on. 

Athletes may not be prone to litigation but it only takes one and if an unfortunate accident occurs, the expense of that accident may force the lawsuit.

I was happy to find out that Bruce carries insurance for the whole event, so the athletics are covered in Maine, but it was one of the first things on my list. Not only to protect the St. Andrews society, but the athletes. God forbid something were to happen, I would not want to see the athlete, or judge or other have to be financially burdened as well as injured (or dead...)

Leroy McDonough
Sugar Britches View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugar Britches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/19 at 9:38am
Further to the whole insurance conversation.  The Association of Scottish Games and Festivals (ASGF) serves as a "group' for purchasing insurance and affords member organizations approximately a 20% discount off of getting festival insurance on one's own.  The insurance company we work with specializes in festival insurance and is very easy to work with.  They can put together a plan for your individual organization.  If you are interested, please check ASGF out at www.asgf.org  
"We must become the change we want to see" Gandhi
Wolfgar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/11/23 at 11:32am
I work for State Farm and we offer these type of Event's coverage. Most of your Insurance companies have that coverage. Just call and ask them. If anyone needs it in Indiana, Kentucky or Tennessee, I'd be happy to send them info. 
KiltedGolfChick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltedGolfChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/22/24 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Sugar Britches Sugar Britches wrote:

Further to the whole insurance conversation.  The Association of Scottish Games and Festivals (ASGF) serves as a "group' for purchasing insurance and affords member organizations approximately a 20% discount off of getting festival insurance on one's own.  The insurance company we work with specializes in festival insurance and is very easy to work with.  They can put together a plan for your individual organization.  If you are interested, please check ASGF out at www.asgf.org  

We have 2 members on our Board who work in insurance brokering. Neither can get us a price as good as we get for being a member of ASGF. 
~Gretchen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic