Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

"Catching" the hammer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Catching" the hammer
    Posted: 3/06/06 at 3:36am

How soon does one need to "catch" the hammer?  Let me explain.  In the olympic hammer I always wanted to "catch" the hammer early by turning my upper body and face back towards the throwing sector and giving me a longer push with the hammer.

I've noticed that when I do this with our hammer, I'm much slower, but I get a much longer push, actually resulting in a further throw.  Yet, when I don't "catch" it as early, I'm faster, but the throw is shorter.

So, my question is, which will benefit in the long run?  Should I conentrate on "catching" the hammer sooner and working on my speed?

Thanks for the help.

Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/06/06 at 4:29am
Catch it early and push. What is it Jud Logan always says - you gotta go slow to go fast.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/06/06 at 8:33am
Dan - having learned from a Carlos article - I agree that the catch and rip is everything(stick out/lean to your right hip to counter as hammer passes in front and curl wrists to pull it down...repeat w/more force ). The difference b/n a great hammer thrower and the rest of us is how fast they can get it moving and still crush the last catch/pull.....winding really fast w/ no yank doesn't go as far.
Dragon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/07/06 at 4:18am

Can someone,Carlos, give a "play by play" of the entire hammer sequence.  Last year I believe K-monster? had a very descriptive write up about the sheaf that was helpful.

M-BAAB, you are right on about "winding really fast and w/no yank doesn't go that far"  I have that problem big time!!  How does on fix that?

Throw!! There is no finish line!!
JISurfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JISurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/07/06 at 8:25am
Catch it over your shoulder, much like your Oly hammer.  If your right handed, you push it as far as you can to the left to increase your orbit.  The use of the hips is obviously very important, so as you wind and catch, your hips need to accelerate as well.  Fast hips, faster push, farther throw.  Simple
eh...
Roy Bogue View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Bogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/07/06 at 9:32am

Originally posted by JISurfer JISurfer wrote:

Simple

SIMPLE......SIMPLE....SIMPLE!!!!!!!!!!!  There is nothing simple about it.           

Donate lately?
Daniel McKim View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/07/06 at 10:22am

Great explanation fellas.  Thanks for the help. 

Yeah, Carlos, a sequence explanation would be great, I look forward to it!

Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/07/06 at 11:11am
Carlos wrote a dynamite article about Scottish hammer that was published in Milo a couple of years ago.

-Wayne
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/07/06 at 11:39am
Someone needs to dig up that Milo article Carlos did a couple of years ago - was it Milo? I got a 7 foot PR the next week after reading it........Dragon- if you want to fix hammer asap - do 2 things #1= long,relaxed arms(the reason we use tacky is so we don't have to squeeze the handle to hold on) #2 = Joe Lane taught me "curl and catch" - last year at Ohio Snider tried it and PR'd first throw - you know how a baseball player will break/roll his wrists on the swing follow-thru? Real power on the pull down comes from being in position to "catch" the hammer as it passes over head w/ "curled" wrists and yank hell out of it down from say 12 or 1 o'clock to 6 or 7 ( bottom of wind) and get ready to do it again - work on singles for a while, then move to doubles- go to 3 only if you are still speeding up and catching the pull down w/ curled wrists.Make sense?
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/07/06 at 12:14pm

Ain't no way I'm typing yet another explanation that long. You can find the technique article in the September 2003 volume of Milo:

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?numbe r=1282-11.2

Edited by Borges
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
Beau Fay View Drop Down
Call me Beauregard.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beau Fay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/15 at 11:27am
Bump for Dan.

"And the rest is history..."
"Some people like to go out dancing... other people like us, we gotta work." -Lou Reed
Daniel McKim View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/15 at 1:51pm
Man ... blast from the past right there!  Thanks, man!
jpfitness1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpfitness1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/15 at 1:52pm
Any chance we can get an updated link for the article?
Josh Plumb
I may not be good, but I'm consistent
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/15 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by jpfitness1 jpfitness1 wrote:

Any chance we can get an updated link for the article?

It wasn't a link to the article, it was this:

jpfitness1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpfitness1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/15 at 6:26pm
Ohhhhhhhhhh
Josh Plumb
I may not be good, but I'm consistent
MrPeanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/15 at 7:54pm
And I thought it was a trick question about natural selection.
Even a broken old man can learn to throw a hammer. I ain't dead yet!
throw50 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throw50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/15 at 3:18pm
...and now I own two vintage Milos with a really outstanding chunk of information in them
Brian Randell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/15 at 1:01pm
It amazes me that Dan Asked this question then becomes THOR the best hammer thrower in the world lol. 
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/15 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Brian Randell Brian Randell wrote:

It amazes me that Dan Asked this question then becomes THOR the best hammer thrower in the world lol. 

To the contrary, it doesn't surprise me one bit. Great throwers get that way by constantly analyzing, asking questions, observing, and so on. A passionate curiosity about the throws is an essential prerequisite to greatness. Dan has that in spades (the freakshow strength and explosiveness doesn't hurt either).
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
Brian Randell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/15 at 3:21pm
I still can't catch the damn hammer to save my butt. So going with lighter hammers this offseason, TONS of winds. Will work up to the 16. hopefully before I am 50 I will learn how to do it right
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic