Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Newbie
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Newbie looking for answers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie looking for answers
    Posted: 5/22/18 at 1:25pm
I am wondering if there are different weight classes? Or will someone that weighs 165 go up against someone at 225?

Any places in Ohio to train?
Mark Caddell
Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/22/18 at 3:44pm
For your first question, often a lightweight class is offered for the men, under 190-lb, with a weigh-in as set up by the games director.  For master's (age) men at Master's World Championshiop, the cutoff is under 200-lb.  Otherwise, amateur men are grouped by relative ability: A, B, and C.  

You would only compete in one class, however--lightweights, or A/B/C as applicable.  New male throwers start at the C class and if you are whooping everyone else's butt in your first Highland Games, you should plan to enter the B class at your next competition (sandbagging is definitely frowned upon).  

Some guidelines on when to move up are posted at the following link:

I hope this answers that question.  I hope others chime in on Ohio throwers to guide you.
Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
DStewart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DStewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/23/18 at 12:42pm
I think there's a 165-168 lb A B C ... Masters ... etc
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/24/18 at 7:47am
There's a group called GLSAA that puts on most of the games in Ohio. You can check them out on Facebook. I don't recall any games in Ohio offering a C class. Its usually A/B or Open if its MASA.

As far as groups of training, there are a few athletes scattered around the state but most reside in the Cleveland or Columbus area. If you post on the GLSAA Facebook page you will get a better response.
Mean Well, Speak Well, Do Well
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic