Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » A.D.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Excel Scoring Spreadsheet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Excel Scoring Spreadsheet
    Posted: 8/14/16 at 10:37am
ADs,  I have finished the next version of my excel spreadsheet scoring program.

It
A. Will score games under NASGA or SHA/SAAA rules.
B. Will generate Certificates
C. Will generate results in NASGA upload format
D. Has Record checking (which can be used to double check data entry)
E. Has a macro to search for unusually large or small throws (data checking)
F. has a tab that shows the progression of the flight's points earned through out the day

It is not freeware but is free to be used for all 501(c)3 education organizations and others ..basically any body putting on an event that is not trying to profit (exploit) Heavy Athletics or those organizations under 501(c)3 for international Sports. 

I do not want to profit from this, I want to help out other ADs (as our job sucks enough) and if in doing so, my games 501(c)3 as well as what Jason and Jane Clevenger is doing for Breast Cancer are worthy places to send a few bucks for my help!

If you want to go electronic, It can be downloaded at:

http://www.heavyeventsjudging.org/adresources/excel-scoring/
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/26/16 at 1:23pm
"It is not freeware but is free to be used for all 501(c)3 education organizations and others ..basically any body putting on an event that is not trying to profit (exploit) Heavy Athletics or those organizations under 501(c)3 for international Sports."

Bite me.
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/26/16 at 9:19pm
I have spent a god awfull lot of time building this spreadsheet, cleaning it up, over hauling it, refining it, making it user friendly, adding whistle and bells (that other organizations have asked).  I created it and I am very proud of it. It was a labor of love.

I shared it to help the everyday AD, who are generally undermanned and overworked.  They sacrifice to run athletic events because of the love of the sport and those who participate.  So why not give a helping hand.

I have chosen to exclude events run on a "For-profit basis" from free-use of the spreadsheet (is there any?).  I, like so many others involved in this sport do it as a volunteer -- sacrificing time and money.  I refuse to help someone who is trying to make a buck on this sport.  

As for making money, I do not want any for the use of this spreadsheet.  That is not why I shared it.  However, if those who want to donate, the website where this spreadsheet is downloaded from gives three options to donate (currently 2 are active).  Those two are Throwing for the Cure, and my games 501(c)3.   Some may want to donate, but not to something I am involved with.  For those people, they can donate to Throwing for the Cure (what Jane and Jason Clevenger is doing is awesome.) 

---------------------

What KR failed to post is that those events that fall under 501(c)3 for International Sporting Events, are not excluded from using the spreadsheet -- they just have to ask express permission from me.  This restriction also applies to athletic only events (which are usually run to give additional throwing opportunities ... i.e. backyard games) and non profit organizations that do not have a 501(c)3 designation.

I have my reasons for these restriction.  They are mine and mine alone.  I do not think asking for permission is onerous; apparently I am wrong.  What ever!

BTW, several games have asked for permission even though they fall under 501(c) education organizations free use.  From their feedback and critique, the spreadsheet has just gotten better and better.  I have in the past and again thank them for the testing, which has lead to refinements.  They help make this spreadsheet a great tool for ADs.   

Edited by McSanta - 8/26/16 at 11:55pm
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/16 at 6:16am
yeah sure,

please keep your spiteful nonsense to yourself.

If you don't want to share something with me - just say it.

Then I'll decide if I care to share anything with you.

You're not the only nerd to create a spreadsheet.

-K
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/16 at 1:18pm

Apparently, Kevin thinks SMAI and MWC is being singled out and decided to make his feelings known.  Whether this is true or not, all he had to do is was simple seek permission. 

With that said and with full disclosure, I have not had a great relationship with Mr Rogers for about 10 yrs and with MWC since 2013.  I can understand why he would jump to his conclusions.  Granted, some of my earlier comments (driven by this friction) on my web page(s) would also lead to that conclusion.   However, the relationship with Mr. Rogers and/or MWC had very little to due with the caveats put on the spreadsheet.

------------------------
Why Make this spreadsheet public?
In the last year, it was a pain in the arse keeping track of who had what version and what fixes needed to be made.  Only solution was put it out in the public and let the users check for updates.

The Problem:
When you put something in the public domain, even if you have air tight legal caveats on it, you have lost all control over it.  Risk management principals tell me to consider the current environment and all future environments.   My caveats are designed to give me a tiny bit of peace of mind as I unleash this software and lose control.  

So Why 501(c)3 Educational ?  Because festivals run by 501(c)3 organizations are about the Culture and history as much as it is about heavy athletics.  The driving mission of those organizations is education as it is needed to receive that IRS designation.

Why the Caveats?
If I can create caveats that might restrict some organizations and people that run Heavy Athletic Events from hurting 501(c)3 festival, I will put them in!  AND HERE IS WHY:

A. My games was burned by an Organization who ran a championship (and this is not MWC) and the championship did not occur at a Celtic/Scottish Festival but at a festival (that to me) exploited the culture for its benefit.  This incident is the driving force behind the caveats: Help ADs and protect 501(c)3 festivals.

B. My games is experiencing the wrath of a former committee member; if he was an athlete he would probably try running an athletic event against my festival.  Thus, I excluding non 501(c)3 events from free use.   This is the second driving force behind the caveats.

C. I have seen events stung by top throwers who want to run a championship and hijack or tried to hijack that championship; Often I heard the defense that the championship does not belong to anybody -- I think that attitude causes chaos.  A better defense is to lay out exactly why those steps are being taken.  The victim of this situation is often a 501(c)3 festival who have a track record supporting heavy athletics for many years.   

D.  I have seen a newly created athletic-only event hurt festival; Completely unattended harm.  I would back the 501(c)3 over the athletic only event.

E. I have seen throwers try to purposely hurt festivals by running an athletic only event on the same day of a festival; I would again back the 501(c)3 over the athletic only event. 

Solution:
I  put caveats on the spreadsheet that require certain organizations to seek permission; I am doing this to support festivals that run Heavy Athletic Events because those festivals and their ADs may be in the same situation I have been in the past.   Basically, it sucks when you and your organization busts their arse and others, knowing or unknown, harm your efforts. 

The Future:
This is about the future and my paranoia, not MWC.  I do not know what kind of international sporting organization will be created in the future and who will run them.  Will they have a degree of respect to the culture or will they be exploiting the culture?   By allowing some future organization free access, I would feel exploited and could be harming, how ever so slightly, a Celtic Festival that does have respect for the culture.  The cost of this "protection" is that 501(c)3 International sporting organizations must seek permission.  SMAI who runs MWC falls under this.

--------------

I created the caveats to protect the organizations that have fostered and hosted heavy athletics in this country for over 100 years.  I want them to continue for the next 100 years.  So unleashing this stupid spreadsheet has those caveats because I believe that heavy athletics needs the festivals as much as the festivals need heavy athletics. 

Is seeking permission onerous?
I repeat, all that is needed is to seek permission when you fall into certain groups. 

If my intentions are considered spiteful and silly... so be it. 

Edited by McSanta - 9/13/16 at 11:52am
Mark McVey

K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/16 at 4:29pm
Mark-

Yes, you are silly and spiteful.

You wanted to change the weights of the women's hammers and you publicly "questioned my wisdom" on your website regarding such. I told you to knock it off and that I was not changing the weights and was willing to just drop it and just tell you that I didn't want to change the weights of the women's hammers, but you keep going on and on and on and on about it.

So, I unfriended you on Facebook for your goofy nonsense and this is how you respond. Spiteful.

Go your own way ... I'll go mine. I'm not changing the weights and I'll never help you again.

Piss off,

-K

McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/30/16 at 10:22pm
“I’m polymerised tree sap, and you’re an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory, and adheres to you.”

Sheldon Cooper,  The Big Bang Theory

------------------------------------

Some factual inaccuracies:

(1) I believed and still do believe that the women hammer weights should change.  As far as I know, I never approached you about this issue.  Why Would I?  Also, this issue was put to bed well before your 2013 melt down over the use of the 21lb weight for Masters Women.  So your memory seems to be a bit faulty on that point.

(2)  In 2012 and 2013, I was asked to look into the heavy weight for distance numbers for women masters.  I declined because I did not want to get dragged down that bunny hole. – Another case where your memory seems to be faulty as I was not involved in the discussion of the 21lb weight; but for one position:

SMAI is only a sanctioning body for one event - MWC.  Why appeal to SMAI for change in implements?  Appealing to SMAI cedes power to them that they do not own or have.  MWC is a once a year event.  Further, if you want to legitimize the implement, keep track of its records where SMAI does not.

I am sure that pissed you off.   This was similar advice I gave to west cost Lightweights who mostly through U200 when I first hosted the LW Nationals (which at that time was U190) about SAAA not keeping records for U200.  Consistency

(3) Damn straight I questioned the wisdom of MWC decision, which I guess is you!  Grow some thicker skin.  This is exactly what the web page stated that you became unhinged about (as it still exists but is unpublished):

I believe Masters World Championship made a mistake when they restricted the use of the 21lb heavy weight for women to the 50+ age group. The reasons for this decision, as explained to me, was that they queried some of the top Masters women at that time and a few objected to the weight being to light.

I assume that the decision was made partly upon these objections.

At first, this seems like a reasonable decision.  However, when you take a step back and see the same thing being said by elite male throwers who are 40+ about the 42lb weight providing not enough challenge, you realize that when you only query the elite athletes about implements, you will get an answer that fits those athletes rather than the group as a whole.  Thus, I question the wisdom of MWC decision and hope they revisit that decision and allow all women over the age of 40 to throw the age appropriate Heavy weight.
The person who explained that reason to me was Mr. Kevin Rogers, himself.  He never once mentioned records.  Interesting!   BTW, Does allowing 45-49 women to throw the 21lb weight prove that their was some flaw in the logic of the original decision of only allowing 50+?

One more caveat, I do not give a flying fart what MWC does.

If I was spiteful, that webpage would be re-published. I unpublished it, not because I kowtow to you; it was unpublished as it seemed to be the right thing to do 2013,  a very heated period of time.  Right now, republishing that page seems like a fine idea as it is a piece of Heavy Athletics History that is not known by many people!  Now that would be considered spiteful action on my part!!!!

(4) Speaking of SPITEFUL!
a.       If I was spiteful, there would be no wiggle room for International Sporting 501(c)3s. All you had to do was ask.  Clearly, your personality does not allow this.  Your view of entitlement is fascinating.

b.      A score keeper for MWC had access to the scoring spreadsheet and was given permission to use it at any event that person score keeps at, including your little annual get-together.  I guess that is me being spiteful again!

c.       I cut up 3-16’ 6x6 cedar timbers into trigs (about $130 each per timber) and donated them to one of the ADs who provided equipment for St Louis MWC.  He wanted to give all the trigs back to me.  We negotiated that I would take half of them and he keep the other half.  There I go again, being spiteful!!!  Cutting up $400 worth of timbers for MWC, and not wanting to take them back;  I would hate to see what I am like when I am generous!

d.      Dude, are you serious? I am spiteful because you unfriended me on Facebook!  Oh my god that is funny.
This is going to come out sounding like “you can’t fire me, I quit” ; so be it!  After I withdrew the application to host the MWC in 2013 (best decision I ever made as a Highland Games AD), I realized we had nothing to say to each other. Thus, I did that terrible, unthinkable, horrible, crushing step of unfriending you!!!  I find it very interesting that you were able to unfriend me?
So I am spiteful because I unfriended you in 2013?  Wow!  That is so cool.  

(5) You keep on repeating that you will never help me again, as if you have been a great assistants to me or the QC games in the last decade.  I cannot remember the last time you did this nor can I remember the last time I asked.  Maybe it was judging?  So remind me how you not helping me is going to affect me?  

I guess judging at St Louis MWC was you helping me?   And if so, then I was helping you the last time you judged at the QC games.    The logic has to work both ways!

I hesitantly judge at St Louis MWC and the reason I accepted was because a certain AD asked me.

I also was extremely spiteful when I helped break down, when I helped load trailers, when I pulled a trailer back to Springfield, going out of my way.  Yup, that is me being spiteful; again!

(6) We went our separate ways in 2013.  You are the one that dragged me back; All because somehow my actions of trying to help the Highland Games community offends you.  All because you could not simple ask for permission to use another’s property.    

This whole issue is starting to feel like the mafia, “Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in”.   

----------------------------------

Why did you even start this thread? 

Your posts demonstrate that asking the owner of property for permission to use it is beneath you and/or you expect everybody in the heavy athletic community to make offerings to the temple of MWC?

I repeat, all you had to do is ask.  What is spiteful about that?

I knew including the restrictions on 501(c)3 International Sporting Events would irritate you.  I spelled out exactly why I included that restriction.  You do not believe me. But how Kevin reacts does not factor into that decision or any of my decisions.  I did, however, put in caveat allowing use with permission which is the best of both worlds for me.

---------------

I have concluded that somehow you thought your posts would shame me; or embarrass me; or bitch slap me back into line.

How is that working for you?  Now leave me out of your outlandish accusations of being spiteful and leave me alone.

Edited by McSanta - 9/13/16 at 11:54am
Mark McVey

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic