FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Dropping the caber

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dropping the caber
    Posted: 3/03/16 at 10:20am
I did a search for this and didn't turn up anything (doesn't mean it isn't there, just that I didn't find it), so I thought I'd put this out there for consideration:

What is the right thing do when the caber gets away from you from the safety, etiquette, and not-breaking-it point of view, i.e. what's the best way to bail from a failed caber attempt?

I'm getting better now, but I've cracked more than one stick in my time.  I've also seen novices get hurt and Bs nearly shouted off the field by angry judges for breaking cabers or not bailing on them 'correctly'.  Anybody like to offer some guidance for the general throwing public?

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/03/16 at 2:33pm
Step out of the way and lay it down evenly (don't let one end hit while holding the other end, or while the other end is close to the ground!).  It's not like it's some crazy tornado, it's a straight stick right above you.  Be smooth. 

If you break a caber laying it down, it's either on purpose or you shouldn't be picking a stick to begin with.  Perhaps a little harsh, but true. 

Most people have issues when trying to 'save it', as opposed to just letting that one go.  Whenever I've tried to learn someone to caber, laying it down was one of the first lessons. Practice getting out. 

When judging caber, I always tell people that if I say get out, then get out.  Listen to your judges. 

Jason Cherry View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/03/16 at 8:48pm
From the Dale Gehman school of Caber Tossing

Caber Syllabus:
   Lesson 1: How to stand it up
   Lesson 2: How to pick it
   Lesson 3-6: How to set it down (Set the end down and get out of the way.)
   Lesson 7: The drive
   Lesson 8: The plant
   Lesson 9: The pull
   Lesson 10: The shag (this one is incredibly important)
"Example is the best precept." ~ Aesop
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/04/16 at 10:02am
Lesson 3-6 is the way I was taught,,,if a thrower had the caber on the right shoulder,he would lay the caber down to the right..nothing would piss me off more as a back judge than an athlete fighting a caber( not winning) and me as the judge telling him to drop and the athlete shows a lackluster effort and just drops it have seen numerous sticks broken,sticks whacking athletes on head/ shoulders....before I even attempted a caber toss was taught to do caber picks,walks,runs,then set down. Only after I mastered this did I try flipping a caber... The athlete really has to check his ego at the door and listen to the judge( honestly 99% of the time it's the noob,rookie who will break the caber as they think they can fight( and win) the caber vs gravity game...highland games is one of the most supportive sports out there(amongst athletes,judges,ad,s) so listen to your fellow judge when he says bail( and remember to TRY and lay the caber down)
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/04/16 at 11:55am
Excellent stuff.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
hoss1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoss1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/07/16 at 9:04am
move out of it's way while holding on to it.  once the caber is horizontal with the ground, release your grip and watch your toes.Smile
Dirk W. Myers
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic