FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Anyone ever cut up stall mats?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone ever cut up stall mats?
    Posted: 12/03/14 at 2:18pm
Pulling from the floor is out for awhile and for the pulls I do I would like to just drop the weight after pulling. So it was suggested to me (thanks CHAD) to get some mats to pull off of. I don't believe my gym has what I need but I have a 4x6 stall mat in the garage I am not using.

I thought I could cut that into 2x2' pieces to pull from and drop on. I haven't ever cut one of those bad boys up, if any of you have advice on what to use would be appreciated. 
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/14 at 2:24pm
I cut mine for my platform with a sawzall.  Fast cutting but not super accurate, as you can imagine.

See:  http://nasgaweb.com/forum/get-off-my-lawn_topic9995_post181827.html#181827

If you really need fine lines, just keeping scoring with a razor knife. 
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/14 at 2:58pm
Cool thanks. By cutting 2'x 1.5' I can get 8 mats. With going 3-4 high that should do the trick
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/14 at 3:29pm
I just kept scoring mine with a utility knife. I've also heard dishsoap helps some of the blades not get bound up by the rubber but I didn't try it personally.
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/14 at 6:23pm
Thanks Guys
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/14 at 6:19am

If you have an Academy near you, try to find the interlocking gym floor bits.  They are grey (mine are) and fit together like Legos.  You can take them apart and stack them up easy.

The man in the arena.
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/14 at 10:08am
Dude!  Recycled rubber pavers!  Seriously!
...Josh
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/14 at 10:12am
I just don't have the money
KHill L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KHill L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/14 at 7:14pm
I just cut a stal mat to make my olympic style platform.  Best trick I found was mark the mat with a chalk line (like you would a piece of plywood or something, then put half the mat on something slightly elevating it at the mark like a 2x4.  That way when you score it with a utility knife/box knife it will start to split away and you can cut through it a bit faster.  Just take your time if you need a dead even edge.
-K'Hill L.

a.k.a. the Kilted Cowboy
robinson93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robinson93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/06/15 at 1:52pm
circular saw works great.
JWC III View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWC III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/15 at 10:07pm
Here is the easiest, most accurate way to cut them.  If you have a pickup, Or any table, use a pen to draw the lines.  Lay the mat on the table with the edge to be cut hanging off the table.  Cut with a utility knife.  As you cut it will pull the cut open and your knife will not get bound and I can cut mine in 3 swipes.  The first I'm careful to follow the line, a couple more fast cuts and I'm through!  I'm telling you, I've cut them every way listed above and this is by far the best. 

Thom Van Vleck
sanooke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanooke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/28/15 at 12:35pm
I hacked away with a utility knife to stack some to stand on for deficit pulls. It did it nearly enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic