Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » A.D.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Good, very small PA system for small Games

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good, very small PA system for small Games
    Posted: 2/23/13 at 9:08pm
I ordered the

Samson Expedition 40iw

portable PA system for the Games I AD.  There are several fantastic things about this unit. 

1.) It runs on a battery, and the battery is good for 12 hours. In other words, no more generator, or, you're freed from putting a central amplifier where there's a power outlet...

2.) it comes with a pretty decent wireless microphone.  The company claims that the wireless signal is good to 150 feet. I had my doubts, but today I tested it in my backyard. I had line of sight connection from the mike to the unit, about 75 feet and it was no problem at all, and that was with a 9v radio battery in the microphone that was on its last legs. I could hear myself just fine over that distance and the speaker was turned up halfway.

3.) If you need move coverage, you can buy two of them, link them up with a  100-125 foot long 1/4 inch cable and you just doubled your area of sound coverage.  If you do that, you might want to make sure that the two units broadcast/ receive wireless on different bands, so that you don't freak out the system when both speakers/antenna's pick up the same signal. 

4.) They hardly weigh anything...like, 18 pounds and they have a built-in handle that's pretty comfortable. A third grader can walk about with this thing all day.  So if your  Games is set up such that ....say, caber is in a completely different location from the other events, you just carry the thing over there, set it down and start talking.  This is how I'll use it. I will set it on an upside-down plastic bucket to get it off the ground, and when I want to move....speaker/antenna and microphone go in the bucket. I walk over to the caber area and set it up again. It'll take about 20 seconds to put it on the bucket and turn everything on.   You can also leave it in one place and hook up a cabled-in microphone if you don't want to use wireless. Yes, you can use the wireless and the cabled-in microphone at the same time..

You can also drop your iphone or ipod into the dock at the top of the unit and play some tunes if you want.  Voila...instant Star Spangled Banner.

There are some caveats, here. 

1.) It's a 40 watt box, so it's not earth shattering-loud. If you need to be heard crystal-clear over the entire length of a football field, and overpower the local rock band,  then you will need more power.  However, if you need to be heard about 125 feet, maybe 150, this will do it, easily.   If you buy two of them, then you might be able to cover most of that football field, but you won't blast anybody out.  You'll get even better coverage if you put the thing on an audio PA tripod stand, which will elevate it about 6 feet off the ground. These cost about $35-40 each.

2.)  One review I read said that there was some microphone handling noise, and I found that to be true. I'm 90% sure that it's from the battery wiggling around in the microphone, so I'm going to tape or rubber band it in.  I think that will probably solve it.

I got mine today and tested it out and I think it's a pretty good buy.  We'll see how robust it is...seems pretty reasonable.   Most places sell them for $299 but if you look around you can find them for $269.  Just be sure to charge the thing overnight before you head out to the Games...in fact, charge it at home when it arrives, before you test it out.

vonguinness View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/09/13 at 11:40am
good stuff, be sure to check back once you've used it at a games.
i've got a powered speaker i roll with from when i used to run a dodgeball league, it was cheap, can run multiple inputs, love it.

jammin on the one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic