FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Duncan McCallum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 189>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRAINING LOG: Duncan McCallum
    Posted: 12/28/09 at 8:50am

First "Official" New Year's Workout

Bench Press

225x5, 315x5, 325x5, 325x5, 325x5, 325x5,

Bentover Rows (With straps for 365)

315x5, 315x5, 365x5, 365x5, 365x5

Squats

315x5, 365x5, 365x5, 365x5, 365x5,

Straight-Leg Dead Lifts (Lowered to mid-shin with neutral/flat back)

315x5, 405x5, 405x5, 405x5, 405x5

Basically, Day 1 of Bill Starr's 5x5.  Not too shabby.  Knee feels stable straight on...got a little shaky moving that squat bar off the pins.

All of my offseason success I owe to my partner Mark Cannon; all of my failures and shortcomings are my own.  Thanks to Team Keller, and all those who wrote and called after my injury for getting me back on the path.

The man in the arena.
Ryan Stewart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/09 at 11:03am
Very nice! go get it big guy.
John Gallagher- "MASS MOVES MASS"
Mountain Man View Drop Down
Craig Smith Fan Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/09 at 11:12am
Oh snap, Duncan's got a training log! Great work Duncan, keep it up! Those are great numbers for someone on rehab.

MM

Robin Walker

"The danger in life is not to set a goal too high and never reach it, but to set a goal too low and reach it."
GSP quoting Michaelangelo
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/09 at 2:46pm
Strong fellow.
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/09 at 3:46pm

Maybe in a year I can throw farther.

The man in the arena.
JohnnieStone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnieStone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/09 at 5:39pm
hey brother how is your knee
thanks Johnnie
dl_buffy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dl_buffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/09 at 1:55am

Even Duncan...the injured guy has a training log...great now if I start one I'll just look like a follower.

So, I will go stealth, that way no-one knows that I am training up to be mediocre this year.

Go Dunc!  I'll watch this space for my lifting inspiration.

phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/09 at 5:17am
haha  do what i've been doing . . . . hide your training log on your regional HG website.  that way, you won't look weak next to these guys at a national level.  
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/09 at 3:28am
Thanks for the encouragement fellas; the knee is holding up. Physical
therapy has been a wash recently with the holidays and work schedule, but
things are getting back into line. More to come Friday (weird training split)

Question: the workout calls for "weighted dips." To calculate the actual
weight incorporated into a dip (for recording purposes), would I add my
weight and the weight of the plates hanging off my belt to get a total, i.e.
270 + 45 = 315 lb weighted dip? Or is it just the weight added?

The man in the arena.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/09 at 3:34am
Just the weight added.

You might fluctuate, but a 45lb plate is always a 45lb plate.

ie:  Dips+45x15

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/01/10 at 9:29am

Back to the Gym

Weighted Pullups (Yeah Right...these were not happening.  I'm not a Burchett or anything...) Instead these became Lat Pulls.

3005x5x5

Weighted Dips

BW+90x5x5

Standing Military Press (Done with a split stance, weight to chin)

225x5x5

Deadlifts

545x5x5

Felt good today.  I think my shins are still bleeding, because now my BDU's are stuck to them. 

Who runs Bartertown????

The man in the arena.
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/01/10 at 10:44am
strong.  good stuff.
KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/01/10 at 11:32am
WOW...... you da man! Thanks for the encouragement, heal up fast brother. 
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/02/10 at 12:10am
MASTER BLASTER!!! Nice work Dunc.
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/02/10 at 4:06am

Workout #3...I did not intend to have to do these back to back...

Incline - 275x5x5...nothing earth-shattering here.

Front Squats - 275x5x2, 315x5x3...our hero narrowly avoided getting stapled to the floor on the last one...geez

Straight Leg Deads (Snatch Grip) - 225x10x3...stretch

Challenge - Kroc Rows...Saw these things all over YouTube, so I gave them a run.  100 lb DB 30 reps per arm.  No worries.  Should have gone heavier or done more reps.  Either way I was, and am, spent.

More to come.

I'm the guy who keeps Mr. Death in his pocket.

The man in the arena.
thegnome View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/02/10 at 9:49am

100's are the biggest DB's I have access to. Nice work so far !!

Andrew G

Vada a bordo CAZZO!!!!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/04/10 at 2:08am

Workout #4...Let me tell you of the Days of High Adventure...

Bench 330x5x5

Close Grip (Just Because) 225x10x3

Bent Over Rows 365x5x5

Squats 365x5x3 405x5x2 (Aw Snap!)

RDL's (Mid Shin) 356x5x1, 405x5x3, 455x5x1

Not a bad Monday.  How goes the training gents?  And ladies?

The man in the arena.
Ryan Stewart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/04/10 at 12:16pm

Most people cant do this stuff on two good knees. crazy good for only having one. Keep it up

John Gallagher- "MASS MOVES MASS"
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/10 at 12:43am

Had to stack them up again...killing my recovery.

Lat Pulls (Stack = 300)

Stackx5x5

Weighted Dips

135x5x5 (OMG this sucks...I recommend this ONLY for athletes...not sure WTF I was thinking about)

Military Press Standing (Front with split stance, weight to chin)

235x5x5

Tricep Pushdowns (Stack = 250)

Stackx15x3 (Nautilus machine...so it was really only 60 pounds or so...but what can ya' do?)

Kroc Curls (Oly bar)

95x25x3 (Tried to minimize arching the back and slanging it...Texas term...made it hard to tie my shoes later)

That's all for now.  Today called for deadlifts but I did not feel like I had enough rest from yesterday.  Brings me to my next point...I am having some recovery issues from the heavy deads, and per His Royal Mylesness, I might be going too heavy for too many.  Any weight/set suggestions?

I ask you, KiltBill, what is best in life?

The man in the arena.
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/10 at 1:02am
hey Duncan, what's your planned rotation?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/10 at 1:10am

My planned rotation?  As if I even knew what that was...lol.

Teach me something Mike.  Also, I have some input for your deads.  Give me a call this evening and we can rap about it 512 426 1922.

Come to Texas this summer.  Get your Game on.

The man in the arena.
KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/10 at 2:51am
Duncan, to be able to look yourself in the mirror every evening and know you gave your best to God, Family, Self, Work & Friends.
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/10 at 4:20am

When it comes to lifting, brother, I don't think I can teach you anything.  I was just noticing that you seem to be working push and pull in each workout.  Just wondering what your split is.  I need more recovery these days.

I am coming, with the whole clan, to San Antonio at the end of March you gonna be there?

Will call you this evening.  Thanks, brozilla.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/10 at 4:42am

Basically, I try to do some pushing and some pulling every workout, with a few supplemental lifts.  My lifting partner, Mark Cannon, and the Phenom, Nick Cannon, have had good success with this method, particularly as we upped the hip/quad/ham specific lifts.  This season I expect Texas to welcome AT LEAST to more solid A contenders.

I look around at specific lifts for specific results in specific events.  For example...last season I could not clear 30 feet with a sheaf.  Period.  I went 28 a bunch of times with a 20 pound bag, but never made it to the big 3-0.  Was I using my legs?  Not really.  I was using my back.  Watching some of you Sheaf Chiefs, it dawned on me I might want to be a wee bit more explosive.  Enter a LOT of RDL's, partial pulls, and squats for speed.  Deadlifts concentrating on the fastest possible "break" from the floor and hips driving forward when the bar crosses the plane of the knees...activating quads, glutes, and hamstrings as hard as possible as fast as possible when the movement is initiated.

If I had to do away with some lifts, it would most likely be bench press.  I love it (who doesn't?) but I do not see a real translation to the Games.  I kept getting arse knocked in the dirt by guys I KNOW have never heard 4 plates jingle on a bench rack.  I mean literally kicked me in the mouth.  There is a lesson there...focus on core, post. chain, and Mike Baab's "bouncy bouncy" explosive legs.

Pushing and pulling in the same workout several times a week is a good way, for me, to get all the blood and attention and focus into the muscle groups that are going to help me the most.  In addition, the overload, in both weights and reps, forces the CNS to get with the freakin' program.  And, since my meniscus is officially shot to hell, I have to do everything possible to make the supporting musculature as strong/stable as possible.

When "The Man" releases me to do oly lifting, bench press will probably go away in lieu of incline, and there are going to be a hell of a lot of snatches/cleans/push presses ala T-Robb.

And pie.  Lots of pie.

The man in the arena.
dl_buffy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dl_buffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/10 at 4:56am
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

And pie.  Lots of pie.

Bingo...and peanut butter, and grilled cheese, and chocolate, and ... oh wait I shouldn't be giving away all my secrets.

Mountain Man View Drop Down
Craig Smith Fan Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/10 at 5:16am

You are really getting after it Dunan! Keep it up brother.

I am getting inspiration from your log. Thanks!

Robin Walker

"The danger in life is not to set a goal too high and never reach it, but to set a goal too low and reach it."
GSP quoting Michaelangelo
Sutherland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sutherland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/06/10 at 1:36am

"I kept getting arse knocked in the dirt by guys I KNOW have never heard 4 plates jingle on a bench rack."

Are you talking about me? Cause you are right.

I like how 3+ plates on a side sounds in a clean. I am sure you do too.

Glad to see you are doing what you love. Training.

For the record, I have never, Knocked you in the dirt.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/06/10 at 1:59am
Yes you did...I was there.
The man in the arena.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/06/10 at 2:14am

If I had to do away with some lifts, it would most likely be bench press.  I love it (who doesn't?)

me. 

but I do not see a real translation to the Games. 

It has very little, if any, athletic carryover to just about any sport.
dl_buffy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dl_buffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/06/10 at 2:55am

Keep in mind though...while we are diss'ing the bench...muscles work in pairs.  Your antagonist muscle should be as strong as your working muscle.

You see this all the time in guys that build up their thighs but not their hams...and they pull something.

The body will only move as fast as it can control and counter act.  The chest and the back work opposite each other so you need to have enough chest strength to balance out the back.  We all work so hard on our backs and rear chain that the front gets minimal attention.

My chiropractor even told me I had to start working out my chest to help with the adjustments because my back was overpowering my chest.

So...to get the back to work at peak efficiency you need decent chest strength/flexibility...to get the tri's to put at peak efficiency you need the bi's to have enough strength that you don't throw out your elbow.  It's all about balance.

=====
Edit - agonist does not = antagonist...oops...:^)

http://www.runtheplanet.com/trainingracing/stretching/chap1- cooperating.asp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 189>
  Share Topic