Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Duncan McCallum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 189>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s_hutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/13/12 at 7:10pm
Cry
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/12 at 4:16am
Training going well.  GOMAD & 400+ grams of protein per day = BW 281

Time to get strong again.
The man in the arena.
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/12 at 5:45am
It sucks that work stuff sometimes gets in the way.  Set new goals, train and you will have your day in the sun again.
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/12 at 5:54am
Oh, I have goals.
The man in the arena.
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/12 at 6:50am
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

Oh, I have goals.

Thumbs Up
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/12 at 9:44am
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/12 at 10:39am
lol @ 400g of protein.. do you feel that is really necessary?

you're approaching "jake fat" territory... be weary
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/12 at 12:02pm
Lot of protein. You taking probiotics and digestive enzymes to make sure you are processing all that??
Jim Glover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Glover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/12 at 2:12pm

Don't question the Dunc!  He's getting his swolertrophy on bro.

"A single one of us can defeat your whole army. If you do not believe it, you may try, only please order your army to stop shooting with firearms." - Mameluke Chieftain Kurtbay
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/12 at 3:56pm
Jake - As a matter of fact, I do.  I will be 300 pounds of pipe-hitting MF by NvsS next year.
MikeD - I certainly am.
TRob - Nice!
GLuv - You already know!  BTW, loved the cholo band.  Thought I was watching The Shield.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/12 at 6:49pm
Today had all the makings of a classic had UPS done their job.

But they didn't, so hex deads didn't happen.

I sad.

If my bar shows up in the next 30 I'm going to go finish; otherwise, these go in with fronts tomorrow.  FML.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/12 at 7:08pm
Good thing I just drank that enormous shake...bar just got here.

Time to vomit.

Lots.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/12 at 8:14pm
No vomit.

Deads ladder starting with naked hex bar (approx. 50 lbs)

Finished with 700x6.  Someday it will be 10.

The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Glover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/12 at 8:16pm

700x6?!

Jeezus!

What kind of hex bar did you buy to get that much weight on it?  Sorinex?

"A single one of us can defeat your whole army. If you do not believe it, you may try, only please order your army to stop shooting with firearms." - Mameluke Chieftain Kurtbay
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/12 at 8:22pm
Actually it is a CAP hex bar...85 bones from Amazon.  Might be a little overzealous, but they have a larger one...maybe I should have ordered that.  The one in my garage is rated for 750; the big one 1000.
The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Glover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/12 at 8:30pm
Groovy.  Thanks.  Buddy of mine was looking for a good hex bar a while back but getting enough plates on the bar was an issue with the usual suspects.
mthompson33 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/12 at 7:26am
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

Actually it is a CAP hex bar...85 bones from Amazon.  Might be a little overzealous, but they have a larger one...maybe I should have ordered that.  The one in my garage is rated for 750; the big one 1000.

Sweet!  Just ordered the big one for $125.  Not because I plan on lifting 1000#, I probably won't even lift 700#, but I want to do Jump Shrugs with bumper plates, so the extra loading room becomes useful...
Matt Thompson

"If you wake up and you're not in pain, you know you're dead." -- Russian Proverb
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/12 at 7:48am
Gallon of milk plus 400 grams of protein.  I would not want to be around the exhaust fumes on that motor.  No doubt you have to train at home.  
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/12 at 7:52am
Ha!  Actually, that has not really been a problem at all.

I have to train at home because my deads would damage the floor at the local big-box.  Maybe not the deads so much as the chalk...that's what they said anyway.
The man in the arena.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/12 at 8:18am
Training almost anywhere BUT home sucks now.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/12 at 8:27am

Those places are just meat markets now.  If I were a woman, I don't think I could go in there.  Too much eye r@pe.

The man in the arena.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/12 at 9:06am
Duncan, how the hell did you get through those long rowing sessions?

I've been trying to work on cardio but after about 5 mins the rower is so GD boring. I managed 15 mins (3k row) yesterday before I gave up 1) due to boredom and 2) back was just fried and the boredom wasn't taking my mind off of it at all, haha.

back on topic, I train at a globo 24hr fitness. It's not ideal but it gets the job done so long as they don't bug me about chalk. I pretty much just sit on the rack for the 75ish minutes I'm there. I've got a sweet setup at my house but don't like taking the time away from fam and can't train in the mornin because my garage backs up to my son's room. oh well.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/12 at 9:21am

Jake,

Ummm...I'm a real nerd on the rower; I download The Great Courses and listen to a Philosophy Lecture.  It's about an hour long, give or take.  Or "We're Alive" from iTunes; next-level zombie podcast.  Seriously, if you're not listening to it you should be.  High production value and a good story.  I give myself a podcast or an audiobook or a Spartacus/SoA/Breaking Bad episode and just row through until the credits. 

I totally agree with the back thing.  I watched some C2 training videos and adjusted my stroke length...hehehehehe...and the back pain went away.  And I did more ab work so my posture didn't suck.

I want to work out in your garage.  The big gyms here in Keller where Cannon and I lift all suck.  Bad equipment...poor mass-produced bars, Men's Fitness pullout posters all over the deck, and a MILLION fellas walking through there doing the whole posedown thing.  I want a shirt that says "Must squat ________ to work in" with a picture of Pulcinella on it.
The man in the arena.
bigirish01 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/12 at 9:31am
Thanks Dunc... Buyin my Hex Bar as we speak... amazon rocks!
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/12 at 9:32am
funny you mention the bars... there is one (1) bar at the globo 24hr fitness that is SOLID. all the others suck. Every day I go in there I have to steal it from a bench and put it BACK on the rack. It's the only bar that has knurling to the collars with true PL spacing for the rings. Its also the only bar that can withstand 700-800+ lbs and not lose it's shape. I'm proud to have scars on my shins from that bar. Now my question, why do people insist on benching with this bar? There are plenty of other true bars that will suffice for benching, yet they always grab this effing one.... and then leave the weight on it so I have to strip it to take the bar..

/rant

my muscular endurance is terrible, that's another contributing factor of the back pain. It's not a structural problem, just gets toasted when rowing for that long. Ill have to look into that zombie podcast. Sounds pretty dope.

the "must squat ___" shirt is solid, if you get one, let me know how much I owe you because I want one.. haha. make sure the silhouette is in an ATG position.. don't want no half squat posers. funny you mention the posedown padres.. same story here. Actually had some kid yesterday bragging to his friends about how he was benching more than some other guys and he was "1/3" their size. Kid was benching 225 with a 4" rom.... O_o made me chuckel
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/12 at 10:11am

A long time ago I banana'd a bar squatting.  The weight was not super impressive, the bar was just crap.  I asked them to pull the bar because it was not only garbage, but it was unsafe.  They took it off the floor, then put it back the next day.  Bush league.

When I started building the Ludus, I actually had to educate myself, and be educated, about what proper equipment looks like.  Texas Power Bar...I'll never need anything else for pressing or pulling.  Ever.  GHR made from HEAVY A$$ steel tubing; this SOB is heavy, but it's not gonna break.  Stuff like that...those are the kinds of things I miss when I go out of town and have to use a Fitness 2000 or a LA Fitness.

"My muscular endurance is terrible" - Fix this.  I've found if I can just get past the 20 minute mark, or whatever halfway is, I will relax a bit and power through.  Then I let the ground absorb my pain.

"You bench how much?  Man, that's awesome...but see...I'm from Missouri...means you're gonna have to SHOW ME!" 

Consider the shirt done.  If I can get Steve or Craig or someone to take a picture in some RIDICULOUSLY 'bout It squat I'll get it started.  There really is a definite lack of shirts for big kids who don't give a damn about vascularity, cutting phases, or TapOut shorts.  Yeah, I bet you've kicked a lot of a$$e$.

Big Daddy - Get the big hex bar...if I'm getting close to needing it (maybe) YOU will definitely need it.
The man in the arena.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/12 at 10:43am
texas power bar > all

I need to get one. Right now I have this super old school bar from a high school weightroom. Thing is great.. not TPB great, but still great.

Working on fixing it.. I don't have any desire to go past 20 minutes. Right now I'm at 15 mins.. next week I'll shoot for 20. Then from there on out, I'm going to work on getting as much as I can in that 20 mins, eventually I'd like to hit a 5k in <20mins.

excited about the shirt, could even use Craig0rz "depth check" video as he was burying them sonsabiches with 5+ on his back..
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/12 at 10:45am
"Kid was benching 225 with a 4" rom.... O_o made me chuckel"

Oh and Duncan....

"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/12 at 11:03am

Trust me Jake, if I can get through it you will.

The man in the arena.
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/12 at 5:36pm
i want one of the squatz shirts
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 189>
  Share Topic