FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Duncan McCallum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 118119120121122 189>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/13 at 12:09pm
Had to rush this morning's lifts...

Jogged a mile...didn't time it.

500m row - 1:41 Damper at 0

Bench...worked up to 385 for 2, pinned on #3. Took a minute, got the single.

Strict Press...worked up to 275 for 2, leg drive on the third.

5000 m row

Still fat.
The man in the arena.
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/13 at 6:35pm
I want a rower.  Good investment?
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/13 at 6:39pm
ABSOLUTELY.  No doubt in my mind. 

Look, I love running.  I used to do it ALL the time, and for a fat man, I wasn't half bad.  I would never win a sprint or a long road race, but I always finished.

Several knee surgeries later, running has really become more of a hassle than it's worth.

Bikes are a no-go for us heavier fellas...science and facts. 

The rower is legit.  Do it.

Do it now.
The man in the arena.
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/13 at 7:50pm
why type it when you can say it with a gif?
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/13 at 8:56pm
I like the cut of your jib. 

Rowing hurts my lungs in that good deep down way. 
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/13 at 12:00pm
Squats today...yay...

2500m SLOOOOOoooooooooooooowwww row warmup

Nothing too hype...finished with 515 for 5.

250m row x 5 w/2 mins active rest between...these were alright.

3x100 hammer winds...knees out over the toes...WHAT?

250m row x 3 w/3 mins active rest between
The man in the arena.
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/13 at 12:29pm
What kinda rower you got?  Recomendations?
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/13 at 1:24pm
Concept 2. Amazon.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/13 at 2:09pm
Got hipped to some Oly knowledge from the Canucklehead himself and tried some cleans today.

I was to preface what you are about to read by stating, as some are already aware, I am about as explosive as tap water. And in many situations, equally tasteless.

Finished with a few doubles at 245. Trying to get a good triangle and get extended...felt like I might have been pulling up and back instead of up. Ideas? Thoughts?

Worked on Dr. Shawn's C2 Program of death. 250m row x 8 w/ 2 min break. Damper at 10 and kept s/m over 40.
Cashed.

You're Welcome
The man in the arena.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/13 at 2:54pm
Don't throw your head back. Rotate your elbows outward. Try to drive your shoulders and elbows into the ceiling on the shrug and pull.
Shawn Baker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/13 at 11:24pm
Dunc, how do you like that higher drag setting- should see better times as a strong guy doing short distance you can use your strength more and should be able to move that flywheel faster
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/13 at 6:08pm
Shawn, it was great.  I wasn't really paying attention to the times/split, but I will in the morning.  I was looking at the s/m and once it got up over 40 I opted to push it a little harder.

Looking for 42ish tomorrow.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/13 at 8:46pm
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/13 at 6:11pm
Last full walkthrough before Sunday; low volume/high intensity.

Probably not going to get any extra throws against Isaac...so I have to keep it close.

That being said, I murderized both my hammers and the FRHS fence.

Almost There
The man in the arena.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/13 at 3:55am
what brand knee sleeves in last walkthru video??  tracking# on the way-will txt tom(its 5am/at work)
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/13 at 7:55am
They are made by Titan Support Systems; my dog ate my first pair of Rehbands before the San Antonio Games so Ed Cosner hooked me up. Put 'em in the dryer once and now they fit like a glove...err...sleeve.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/13 at 10:57am
Fast lift this morning.

1000 m row to warm up.

Deads (by 5's w/ trap bar)
Finished with 610x10 with no rest between sets...well...enough to add plates.

Will do sprints/more rows tonight.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/13 at 5:38pm
This has nothing to do with training, but man, it's good for a laugh.

The man in the arena.
BrainSmasher View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/13 at 3:12am
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

They are made by Titan Support Systems; my dog ate my first pair of Rehbands before the San Antonio Games so Ed Cosner hooked me up. Put 'em in the dryer once and now they fit like a glove...err...sleeve.

Titan sleeves good... fire bad!
Luke Crowley
Everything. All the time.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/13 at 4:23pm
Wanted to throw today...no dice.

Rowed for an hour.  Listened to an old radio broadcast of The Shadow (Orson Welles not Bret Morrison).

We have lost our imagination.
The man in the arena.
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/13 at 5:37pm
I beg to differ . . .

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/13 at 12:16pm
The above is...well...I still don't have the words.

Spent a few hours training with Torsten...man...definitely getting my learn on.

Also, a car ran over my knee brace, so it looks like throwing is probably out this weekend.

F. M. L.
The man in the arena.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/13 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

a car ran over my knee brace

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/13 at 2:18pm
I think what you MEANT to say was "Some asshole left a knee brace sitting where it could get run over.'
BrittneyBoswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrittneyBoswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/13 at 2:39pm
Nope, some dick-bag drove into the middle of an open field full of implements, cones, and a 100ft tape because he was too damn lazy to park and WALK to the damn soccer fields. Cannot tell you the number of times some douche-canoe has driven through our practices out there because they are inconsiderate FFFFF-monkeys.

Go ahead - ask me how I feel about it.
Highland Games - The drama is so high, because the stakes are so low.
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/13 at 4:01pm
Brit, don't hold it back.  Let us know how you truly feel.  We're all bros here.

p.s.  Boss use of the word "dick-bag".
www.sportkilt.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/13 at 4:10pm

Be careful what you wish for Rob...

How's the arm?  I heard a rumor you were going to spin in the WOB at the Arnold...
The man in the arena.
BrittneyBoswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrittneyBoswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/13 at 4:16pm
Highland Games - The drama is so high, because the stakes are so low.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/13 at 5:43pm

I will see your driving through my practice and raise you one half-eaten snake face.

Ok, so now that I have more time to talk about training stuff...

Torsten, the Ubermensch, and I went to the field to try some stone stuff.  Let me take a step back; This morning I got home from what amounted to the most terrible night of work I've ever had to find a note reading "Wake me up in the morning; we fix your braemar."  Talk about a thrust kick to the ego...

As you can tell, my braemar has been an issue recently.  32 and change and then 33? 

COME ON SON...

So, we changed my stance up a bit and got some more right knee activation (Spencer tried to get me to do this about two years ago, but I'm dumb and couldn't make it work...wasn't for lack of trying)  Short story long, I achieved some small measure of separation and put a bit more distance on the 24 pound stone.  Didn't have a tape, but stepped off the distance and guesstimated.

Interesting.

Now, for the real.  My open stone has been terrible.  Approaching unwatchable.  I was so pissed about ostone I considered just fronting the rock and praying for rain; fakk it, I'll take the beating from Isaac and just make up the points later.  Then it hit me...this is Isaac...where the h*ll am I going to make up the points?

So, Torsten showed me the technique Schmeling used to beat Louis.  I'm in love.  Truly, madly, deeply in love; the kind of love you had in 8th grade when the DJ played Savage Garden at the Fall Formal...the kind of love that starts at your belt buckle and crashes down when you notice her parents are chaperones and arm's length means exactly that. 

Unrequited, unfulfilled...but strong enough to make you FB stalk her.

That being said (wipes tear) I freaking KILLED my stone practice.  Knee didn't break and I stayed in the trig.

KOBE!

The man in the arena.
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/13 at 8:36pm
Duncan, arm is coming along.  When I push it too hard, my elbow hurts and I back off.  When it feels better, I push harder.

Haha on the spin.  You'd have a better chance of me going commando under the kilt in cold-ass March than EVER spinning.

I am not a fan of them allowing the spin, but since I think Issac is the only one who spins, it is more-or-less equal for all of us.  Maybe we can shame Issac into NOT spinning.  lol
www.sportkilt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 118119120121122 189>
  Share Topic