FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Duncan McCallum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 116117118119120 189>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/13 at 6:15pm
Oh...SNAP!

Strict presses tonight.

Done son.
The man in the arena.
Shawn Baker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/13 at 6:18pm
Nice pulling
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/13 at 6:21pm
Coming from you, that's a SERIOUS compliment Shawn.
The man in the arena.
Shawn Baker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/13 at 6:08pm
need to get mine back up in the 7 ish range again this off season (maybe a little tougher as a skinny bastard though)

great to see you keep going (like you have a choiceTongue)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/13 at 9:23pm
I have no choice Shawn. We spoke when I first blew this knee up; the Games are my passion. For better or worse, this Sport has become part of my identity...if only in the way I hope I really am.

I've seen a guy with one leg turn a caber; hell, Myles has a Gameboy on top of his heart, and he still throws. This Games community helped raise close to $20,000 for the son of a thrower most of us will never meet on the field.

Stuff like the above (and Craig pwning some kid on the dodgeball court) make the choice between me staying in and taking the hits or quitting no choice at all.

With that being said, I powered the FAKK up tonight squatting. 550 last week, 565 this week. I knew I wanted a higher number if I could, so I skipped some of the intermediate sets (275, 365) to save a little gas for the coup de grace.

Workout called for 6; I managed 3 and 3/4. Then got smashed. Hooray for American made safety bars.

Took my lifting high (read: o2 deprivation) and hit the field for a little Contrary Throwing. An hour or so of line drills, and then 6 tosses with the 28.

Oh my.
The man in the arena.
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/13 at 11:00am
565......thats some gravy right there.  Golden Coral is paying off......
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/13 at 1:27pm
Thanks TRob...would've been better if I'd finished the set.

Soon.

Son of a Bench
Barx5
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x5
315x5
335x5
365x4
405x3x2
Five doubles with 405

225 3x20
Kurlz

Roadtrip.
The man in the arena.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/13 at 2:10pm
I am always impressed and more than a little horrified by exactly how much stronger than me you are.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/13 at 5:04pm
3x20 with 225.......

Wtf is wrong with you?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/13 at 5:08pm
Now to marshal that on Games day.
The man in the arena.
jhbucy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbucy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/13 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by jsully jsully wrote:

3x20 with 225.......

Wtf is wrong with you?

It's the wig
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/13 at 9:21pm
Your skrong. Me jealous.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/13 at 9:45pm
Not really strong Nate...just motivated.

Now to get my technique in line with whatever strength level I have achieved...THAT will be the test.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/13 at 9:48pm
My money's on you.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/13 at 7:58pm
Lifts and Throws
Deads for speed...made it to 455 and then BLAM...hit the wall. No speed there.

Throws
Braemar x10 w/long of 38+ 24.5 lb stone. Ok, question time: Statistically speaking, I am more likely to PR with a heavier stone (17+ open, 23+ Braemar) than I am with a lighter implement. I practice on a field that is relatively flat and MAYBE a shade uphill, and I seem to throw this heavier Braemar further, without fouling, than I throw a lighter stone in a Games. Does this happen to anyone else?

Open x15 w/long of 52 16lb stone
Lot of fouls here, but the right foot is FINALLY pre-turned and my fouls are the result of pushing off hard and crushing my block leg. More to do tomorrow. Average distance was 48 and change, so that's encouraging.

LWFD x15 w/long of 81
Nothing spectacular here, just easy and consistent. Shane Sutherland told me once when I was struggling to hit 70' that once I finally did, I would never really have trouble hitting it again. Tonight I went as slow as humanly possible and still averaged 73' across the first five throws. Nothing on them. Didn't even hook grip. Sprinting to the trig didn't add much, so that is clearly a weak point, but to put so little on it and get that much out of it makes it all ok. For now.

Light hammer x20 w/long of 121'
This is just a hecking shiftshow. Absolutely no consistency here. The 121 was followed by a 108'. Hammers are definitely, IMO, the weakest part of my overall. Sigh, more throws.
The man in the arena.
Greg York View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg York Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/13 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

LWFD x15 w/long of 81
Nothing spectacular here, just easy and consistent. Shane Sutherland told me once when I was struggling to hit 70' that once I finally did, I would never really have trouble hitting it again. Tonight I went as slow as humanly possible and still averaged 73' across the first five throws. Nothing on them. Didn't even hook grip. Sprinting to the trig didn't add much, so that is clearly a weak point, but to put so little on it and get that much out of it makes it all ok. For now.

Not the sprint, eh?   Where does it come from in your throws?
Watch for falling rocks!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/13 at 8:12pm
LOL
I guess what I mean is: I am throwing easy throws and landing between 70 and 75' every time I touch the weight. In the rain on a train, with a fox in a box, I can do that much at least.

When I REALLY try to hustle...you know the feeling...I'm not getting much more out of it at all. Relative to the effort I mean.

Probably boils down to LOFT.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/13 at 9:07pm
I "PR" in practice a lot too. Usually it's on the 5th,6th,9th throw though. Problem is you only get three in a game. Simulate a competition with one or two events each week. Warm up as you would in a game, then take 3 throws. Teach yourself to throw big early. I do this in season, not off season when more reps are needed.

Side note, your weights are going to be huge next year given what I'm reading.

The Gingerbeard Man has spoken.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/13 at 9:20pm
Word.

I typically do what you mentioned on Wednesday walkthrough or Thursday night beer-in-the-trig-mental session.

I'll be the first to admit I am the KING of practice PR's and then going to the Games and making a mess of it. Happened in California fo' damn sure. I never inflate my numbers, and if anything, I underestimate distances to keep myself hungry, but man alive, I am getting SO SICK of throwing well in practice and then getting smoked on Saturday. Looks spurious.

HWFD, Ostone, and Light Hammer again tomorrow.
The man in the arena.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/13 at 6:37am
For me, I never used to be a practice thrower. Especially in shot put. In college I practiced with light implements during season all season. Hardly ever threw a 16 shot or hammer. Now, in HGames, I don't have a set of lighter implements (yet) and I feel that I now have better practice throws than PRs sometimes. Could also be that in practice you only use one-two implements. I don't worry about it more than a day or so because I know that a bad practice lingers in the mind but a bad games sets up camp and starts cooking dinner. 

Also in reference to your stone query, my guess would be that the handles you have been finding on those heavier stones are much better than the lighter ones. I find it very hard to believe that physically you cannot throw a 22# stone further than a 24#. Sometimes I see games on the database or in games reports when quality Am As or Pros throw "25#" braemars for PRs. An example being the Braemar at Fredericks Maryland games. Probably has a solid handle on that rock.

And maybe a downhillish field too, heh. 

Anyways, just my own rambling thoughts. I have the same issues with LWFD from time to time. We are just over thinking it I guarantee it. 
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/13 at 7:43am
You just answered your own question, Dunc. Your first (and maybe even second) attempt? Slow it down a little. Get out the RIGHT throw. Far will come from that. Plus, you'll have it in pocket, it'll clear your mind and you can concentrate on how to make the next one BETTER. Not further or harder, just better.

Power isn't your issue, so don't think throwing harder is going to get you more distance. You need to catch those implements. Sometimes, dialing it back from '11' to '9' gets that done more efficiently.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/13 at 5:15pm
Push press this morning...triples for speedz.

This afternoon...100 light hammer throws. Video as soon as I put my internal organs back in order.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/13 at 10:33am
Squats today. Abs killin.

So, after watching the video, a few things came to light.
1. My orbits are getting smoother, but not smooth enough.
2. I am starting to catch the hammer further back (Jake and Sean) but am not really applying that much more force to it.
3. Must start throwing HARDER in practice...these light reps are great, don't get me wrong, but I guess I'm not putting enough on it to get the orbits/low points where I want. You know how maintaining strict squat form is sometimes harder with just the bar or 135, and you can only really lock it in when you get to a few wheels? Same thing here.
4. White, on me at least, is not slimming.

Light Hammer
The man in the arena.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/13 at 10:47am

Dunc, those were beautiful, man.

Like you said, on another day, start adding some gas. But add it from the end of the throw forward. Know what I mean there? More snap on the finish at first, the push up. Then more on the right on that final release wind and the push up. Then the push up on the wind leading into the final wind, the catch at 10, the push down and then the final push up, etc.

This is how you'll remember to find and keep your rhythm and just to give a little more gas where you can handle it. As you get faster from the end in, the whole thing will start to speed up.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/13 at 11:18am
Thank you Sean. I really have been paying attention, and it is encouraging to see it is beginning to show, if only just a little. I heard someone say once that "Your goal shouldn't be to train something until you can do it right, but so you can't do it wrong."

I was mulling that over and then got my Contrarian DVD, and it all kinda lined up...hence the 100 throws. I hit the wall after sixty; you can tell because I keep duffing the hammer and there is no mustard on it there at the finish. But the principle is sound.

Great opportunity this weekend against Swamp Dynasty Thompson and a Mike Beech who has started finding his groove.

Let's go 120'.

Thanks for the coaching Frozenkilt.
The man in the arena.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/13 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

Then the push up on the wind leading into the final wind, the catch at 10, the push down and then the final push up, etc.

Different strokes for different folks.

First wind push ball away from you on the right side and push hips to the left
2nd wind a) lean way left with your upper body and push hips way right
2nd wind b) when hammer gets to 2:00, push hips left, snapping upper body to the right, hammer following
3rd wind a) accellerate hammer 8:00 -> 4:00
3rd wind b) exactly the same as 2a but faster
3rd wind c) exactly the same as 3a with a huge lift to finish

I personally never think about accellerating the upswing. I know Sean Betz is big on up and down. My best success has been been side to side. Accellerate 2:00->10:00 and 8:00->4:00.

I haven't got a chance to watch the video yet. I will in a bit.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/13 at 1:16pm
Hang on a sec, there big boy. Your last line is 8:00-4 with a huge lift to finish. That's my "more snap on the finish, the push up.''

In truth, I like your timing descriptions better. That's how I picture it when I do it, but I explained it poorly. I'm trying to tell Dunc the same thing. I would just add power in the reverse. Gotta get comfy with it when you're drilling it.
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/13 at 8:28pm
so dreamy . . .

Dana point looks a tad chilly

adambrezina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/13 at 9:10pm
I wanna be his Lois Lane
Skinny guy trying to get big
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/13 at 9:12pm
Mike...I think that throw was 79 and change. I was excited.

Don't judge.

The man in the arena.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 116117118119120 189>
  Share Topic