FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Duncan McCallum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 117118119120121 189>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/13 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by phatmiked phatmiked wrote:

so dreamy . . .

Dana point looks a tad chilly

Seriously...

I showed this vid to my wife.  She says who the hell is that.  He's fricken huge. 

We go to counceling tomorrow...

Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/13 at 9:33pm
oh, i'm not judging.  unless that's what you kids are calling happy sock time these days . . .
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/13 at 9:36pm
The sock wadded up in your mouth?
The man in the arena.
adambrezina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/13 at 12:11am
U see what those rock hard nipples can do Duncan..... counseling!!
Skinny guy trying to get big
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/13 at 7:49pm
So much hate for you Adam.  So so much.  But never fear, Operation Hell on Earth is proceeding as planned.  Await further instructions.

A quick walkthrough before Sunday's Games, nice and easy without putting too much on anything.  This is just about the most relaxed/freshest I've felt in a long time.  Back is loose, knee is great...really looking forward to a long day of throws.

Let's do the thing.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/13 at 1:29pm
About to start height events. Threw the worst braemar of my life, but have made up for it.

HH PR - FR
LH PR - FR
LWFD PR

Doing work.
The man in the arena.
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/13 at 1:47pm
Nice work...keep it up
Mean Well, Speak Well, Do Well
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/13 at 6:36am
?
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/13 at 7:12am
Great Job Duncan
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/13 at 8:02am
Apparently they just give relative performances here and not distances.
BrittneyBoswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrittneyBoswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/13 at 8:15am
Distances are in the database, gents. Feel free to go check 'em out.
Highland Games - The drama is so high, because the stakes are so low.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/13 at 10:07am
Games Report!

Braemar. It's a stone. I don't always throw it, but when I do, I usually don't foul twice. The one I managed to actually keep my hand on was a PERFECT spiral that went almost nowhere; I completely missed it. Worst throw of my career, hands down.

Open. Crap trig by now, but everyone is throwing in it so "it was what it was." 46 and change; not great, but enough.

HWFD. Ground was murderized by now, so I REALLY slowed down. 38'7. Not my best, but again, it was enough.

LWFD. It was at this point I decided to show the frak up and start throwing. Tossed my first one out there and was hoping for 66' or 67'; I didn't hit the gas at all and kinda went through the motions. 75+. Awwwww yeah! And they just went up from there. Beech pointed out I wasn't "settling" in the back...so I took my foot off the gas for a second and this is what happened:

Heavy Hammer. So now I'm all pumped up on some stuff from the Thrift Shop. First throw, nice and easy. 95 and change; lifetime PR. Next throw...added a little more. Finished with 96'8. Took extra throws, and here's the kicker: ALL of them were better than my previous PR.

Light Hammer. See the above, but change 96'8 to 119'10. There is video, but it's all shaky and I look more like a guy in a gorilla suit than Bigfoot.

Caber. Picked, dropped...think I broke my finger. Tried it again...yeah, pretty sure this is busted. Oh well.

Sheaf. Spun. It was a good time. 28'. Not my best, and I definitely had the height for more, but not the accuracy.

WFH. Kinda hard without a pointer finger, but I managed. Made it to 15', no sweat. Shooting for 15'8; crashed the bar, crashed the bar again. Oh well.

I did the best I could with what I had.

Top 10.

LWFD

Edited by Duncan McCallum - 10/28/13 at 10:42am
The man in the arena.
adambrezina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/13 at 10:27am
great job this weekend big guy.  Happy to see u kicking a little as out there ha ha.  Recon is covered, operation in full swing
Skinny guy trying to get big
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/13 at 10:28am
Ok, for those that enjoy the full show (like me):

BR - 32'9" (you break your finger on this event? ;))
OS - 46'9"
HW - 38'7"
LW - 81'4" - Whose house is it?
HH/LH - 96'8"/119'10"
Caber - broke a finger, just to give someone else a chance at glory
Sheaf - 28 (Swamp Jesus went what now?)
WOB - 15'

And by top 10, he meant "I won."

Badass work, brother. Keep your finger out of your nose next time.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/13 at 10:47am
LOL @ Sean...yeah, I wish I could've claimed that on Braemar. Just did not compute.

Swamps almost no heighted...not even joking. The gallery was just silent. The guy lives for camouflage, double hamburgers, and sheaf...and sheaf was not happening. The guy had all the air for 35 or 36, just couldn't get the shooter's roll.

Who's house? RUN'S HOUSE! (Two Field Records...in hammers of all things!)
The man in the arena.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/13 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

Two Field Records...in hammers of all things!

Imagine that.

Good job, my brother.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/13 at 9:06pm
If it happens twice it won't be a fluke!

No training today...some cardio stuff and wonky jumprope.

Serious question for those who actually read this rag: I am going to Austin Sunday to throw in the Baablands. If you've been to this Games, you know it's a lot of fun and the air is thinner so your WFD goes about as far as a light hammer. My right pointer finger is FAKKED; my neighbor took a quick look at it and thinks if it is broken, it might only be a teeny tiny fracture, or even just a hellacious jam. In any case, he said "Go ahead and throw, just tape it up. Maybe tape it to your middle finger."

"Can't because that's against the rules."

"Oh well" he says.

I know I know...it's against the rules. But in this case, or in the case of a verifiable injury to an Athlete's throwing hand/off hand, is it ok to tape them together, or is that up to the AD?
The man in the arena.
Shawn Baker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/13 at 9:19pm
Isn't Baab the AD?/ tape it,throw- get an x-ray afterwards (or before) send it to me- most times finger fractures are treated non operatively
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/13 at 9:53pm
Yeah, Baab is the AD; do I think he'll have an issue with it? No. Do I know that for sure? Nope, sure don't.

We'll see.

And thanks for the rec Shawn; I certainly will. I'm going to go through the motions tomorrow with a D handle and see just how much this sucks.
The man in the arena.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/13 at 7:59am
I know that in track if you have an open wound or proof your hand is hurt you can throw with tape on or fingers taped together. 

Since highlands is a bit more lax, I have feeling Baab will have no problem with it. It certainly wont give you an edge up on the comp, you have a potentially broken finger for cryin' out loud! 

Good luck with it man
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/13 at 8:15am
I'd have to agree with Jeff.  Let's looks at it logically: 

(1) Are you doing it for an unfair advantage?  No (BTW, I would like to know WHY you can't tape the fingers together as I cannot see any advantage it would give you anyway???)

(2) Is this some sort of Championships?  No.  Just a fun Texas games.  I am sure Baab and your competitors would not care.  

Just ask Mike, but the answer should be "go for it".  Like Jeff said, you will be throwing with a freaking broken finger.  How much advantage can taped fingers give you???
www.sportkilt.com
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/13 at 11:08am

Tell everyone else on the field they can tape their fingers together too. Problem solved.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/13 at 4:45pm
Took a few tosses with fingers taped together/not taped together.

Either way, this is going to be lame.
The man in the arena.
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/13 at 8:10pm
For the PRs

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/13 at 8:16pm
You would've been proud Mike.

My hammers ALMOST looked like yours.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/13 at 3:55pm
Austin Report!

Braemar - 23 pound ball bearing.  I always throw this like a boss (HEAVY sarcasm)  33 and change.  Seriously, I lost this event by nine feet, and I thought for a second Beech beat me.  He was for two throws.

Open - My stone.  I think it was 46ish?  I fouled one at the end Beech said was "way past the cone Bro," which was at 51'.  I know what I did, and I've been drilling it.  To death.

HWFD - Meh.  I do what I usually do.  Took some extras and all were 38 and beyond.  Not bad, but not top tier stuff.

LWFD - OH SNAP!  The circus is in town!  First was out past 79', so I just did the same throw...only faster.  Laced one right into the fence; it cost me some distance and almost cost the Sheep Lady her life.  Finished with a new PR of an inch or two, but I'll take it.  Baab's daughter got THE COOLEST VIDEO of it...looks like I'm going to have to send ninjas to steal her phone.  Seriously, it's the coolest video of a WFD I've ever seen, and I'm not just saying that because I threw it...some new panoramic iPhone app.

WOB - 15.  Le sigh.  The story here was Kevin Miller and his attempts at 20'.  His first attempt was lame.  Second one was worse.  The third was 21' if it was an inch...just in front.  It was pretty sick.

Caber - Pffffffffffft.  Whatever.  Finger was really on my mind at this point.  Punked the first caber, got owned by the next one out of sheer laziness.  Challenge caber...I own that.  Not sure of the length, but I "heard" it weighs 155 pounds...Mike will have to verify that.  Either way, we got two shots at it.  Got it twice. 

The crowd was entertained.

I know, because I asked.

On a personal note, this was a huge Games for me.  I love that field...it's the site of the first Games I ever watched.  You know, the one where Quint kinda punked me out.  I will never forget my first HGames practice ever..."Yeah, Duncan showed up on my doorstep.  Fat and soft with a silly haircut." sayeth His Baabness.  He remembers that...MIKE BAAB REMEMBERS MY FIRST PRACTICE!
My Mother finally came to watch me throw finally, and that was great; she didn't get to see me throw much but was on hand for the Kid's Games, where I got a chance to pose-down with some of the kids, many of whom were dressed as other superheroes (There was even a wee Iron Man!)

On my way out, one of the families stopped me to thank me for taking pictures with their kids..."Thanks Duncan, you really made their day."

No way man...Thank Y'all.
The man in the arena.
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/13 at 4:05pm
This guy ^^   = The Man!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/13 at 4:05pm
Oh yeah, I lifted today too.

I attempted, which might be too strong a term, to do two rower tabatas back to back as my warmup.  I managed a silly pace for the first part, you know, cuz that's what Andy does.  The last half was ALL downhill.  I finished, so I've got that going for me.

Deadlifts were a challenge.  DOH'ded reps x5; didn't wrap my thumbs under until 455.  This started making me squeeze really hard with my pointer finger, which hurted.  Made it to 545 and then shut it down due to LOFT.

Stripped the plates and did some RDL's for the stretch.

Lat macheen because Nate Parker sent me a selfie of his lat spread.

Finished with KB pull-throughs, like what Mike D. "claims" improves his WOB.  48 kg bell, 10x10 each arm standing on the spotter foot stand-things.  Back and forth, and getting back up onto my toes...was breathing like a catfish on a dock when all was said and done.

Ate a whole package of sliced turkey as a cool-down.
The man in the arena.
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/13 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

Oh yeah, I lifted today too.

I attempted, which might be too strong a term, to do two rower tabatas back to back as my warmup.  I managed a silly pace for the first part, you know, cuz that's what Andy does.  The last half was ALL downhill.  I finished, so I've got that going for me.

Deadlifts were a challenge.  DOH'ded reps x5; didn't wrap my thumbs under until 455.  This started making me squeeze really hard with my pointer finger, which hurted.  Made it to 545 and then shut it down due to LOFT.

Stripped the plates and did some RDL's for the stretch.

Lat macheen because Nate Parker sent me a panoramic selfie of his lat spread.

Finished with KB pull-throughs, like what Mike D. "claims" improves his WOB.  48 kg bell, 10x10 each arm standing on the spotter foot stand-things.  Back and forth, and getting back up onto my toes...was breathing like a catfish on a dock when all was said and done.

Ate a whole package of sliced turkey as a cool-down.

There....I fixed your post.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/13 at 5:36pm
Should've seen that coming...
The man in the arena.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 117118119120121 189>
  Share Topic