FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Duncan McCallum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8485868788 189>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/23/12 at 5:48pm
Squats today...groan.  Legs were all about it, back was not having it.  Got my reps, but not much else.  Some goodmornings.

BW 285.
The man in the arena.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/23/12 at 6:17pm
285.... beast

still GOMAD?
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/23/12 at 6:41pm
Yup...another three weeks and then it will be time to cut some fat. I don't look/feel I've gained that much extra body fat, and I am still fast in the trig. Happy with results to date.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/12 at 5:23pm
275 x 8 push press
10 x 8 BW pullups...had to throw a red band on at the end.

Taking tomorrow off...geezzzzzzzz
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/12 at 11:45am
380 triple on the girly press
455 triple sqwat...wanted more but knee was tracking weird.  Kinda swollen now.
Pyramid to 315 on sqwat...made it to 10 and then shut it down.

Ludus looks like a wet dog shook out in there. 
The man in the arena.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/12 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

Ludus looks like a wet dog shook out in there. 

i know this all too well.. the self-equipped a/c unit running on full blast
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/12 at 8:23pm
I was a waste of humanity after all that.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/29/12 at 5:15pm
After recovering from the worst shake idea in recent memory:

Grip and Rip deads - 700x3 (hex bar)  These were not nearly as fast as I hoped, so I think I might back them off next time.

PP - 275x8.  This was supposed to be 10, I just failed to get the weight to track properly.  Took a step back and got the last two.  Enter frustration.  Heavy singles as punishment @ 315.

Pullups, shrugs, hyperextensions, curls...bro-building like whoa. 

BW 289.8.
The man in the arena.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/30/12 at 8:22am
Weren't you like 260 at the Claw?
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/30/12 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

Weren't you like 260 at the Claw?

Gaining 30lbs in a month for a trained adult male is totally normal, bro. 

eta:  I'm jelly.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/30/12 at 5:58pm

Sean, I was probably closer to 265-270 at the Claw.  I'd been eating everything I could in the hopes of avoiding another Blairsville implosion. 

Since work deep-sixed my season plans more or less, I kick-started my off-season a few months early and started eating.  Everything.  In all seriousness it's not uncommon to find me cooking 15 pounds of chicken breasts every Monday morning (day off) for the week, along with whatever steak/seafood was on sale.  That plus a gallon of whole milk a day makes for weight gain.  A lot of it is probably trash weight, and I can tell I've picked up extra bf% despite my best efforts...but what can you do.

Workouts have been high volume, and that forces growth.  I think.
The man in the arena.
mthompson33 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/31/12 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

...  I'd been eating everything I could ...

... early and started eating.  Everything.  In all seriousness it's not uncommon to find me cooking 15 pounds of chicken breasts every Monday morning (day off) for the week, along with whatever steak/seafood was on sale.  That plus a gallon of whole milk a day makes for weight gain...  

Hardly qualifies as EVERYTHING...  :D
Matt Thompson

"If you wake up and you're not in pain, you know you're dead." -- Russian Proverb
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/31/12 at 1:46pm
I'm down to 292.  Well. I was, two weeks ago after backpacking. I've been eating like a vacuum cleaner since then and I'm probably back up to closer to 300 again. Grr. 

After Pleasanton I get serious, again.  I want to be svelte like Duncan.
Jim Glover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Glover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/31/12 at 2:47pm
Jeeze. I feel like a midget on this board.
"A single one of us can defeat your whole army. If you do not believe it, you may try, only please order your army to stop shooting with firearms." - Mameluke Chieftain Kurtbay
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/12 at 5:18am
Alan I am HARDLY svelte.  Hardly.  Eating big and staying lean has been much more difficult than I originally anticipated, but I'm getting the results I'm looking for.  Will definitely have to get things back under control before next season and get lean again. 

N/S Duncs is going to be a BIG DEAL.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/12 at 6:24pm
Lots of throws yesterday.  39+ on all HWFDs...actually getting a little air underneath these.  78 was the long on LWFD...not enough linear drive.  OStone was cool...everything over 50 except one goof-up.  HHammer all 90+ with a long of 94.  WFH SUCKED.  Again.

Weights have been great, +5 pounds here and there. 

The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/04/12 at 12:18am
Ok, so funny thing happened whilst getting gas tonight.  So, I'm standing outside the gas station watching more of my retirement go into the pump when I hear what sounds like a very familiar beat.  Is it Deadmau5?  Nah...something older.  Is it some sort of Daft Punk, pre-Kraftwerk?  Nope, wrong highs. 

The beat gets closer.  WTF is this sound and why can't I place it?

There, I've got it!  It's Darude.  No, wait...damn, that isn't it either.

The car enters the parking lot and stops at the first gas pump.  Old model Eclipse.  Maroon.  Shiny exhaust the size of a coffee can.  Dark dark dark windows.  Now I've got the song.

It's the GD Mortal Kombat techno remix.  Now I'm excited...and probably grinning like an idiot.  This song = fight.  Immediate fight.  Throw this one on in a school cafeteria or a museum and see what happens.  So there I was, just waiting to see what kind of BA steps out of this whip.  Maybe some ninjas will pop down off the roof or from behind the Slurpee banner and this dude, this one dude, will lay the smack down. 

Beater, sagging pj pants, houseshoes, sunglasses on top of head.  I have never been so let down. 

Although, I believe I did hear some soft laughter from the roof...

The man in the arena.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/04/12 at 12:33pm
Svelte itt. 

295lbs of svelte. 

You have the power and strength of a 300lb man.  So you are fine.  If you weren't strong, I would question why you were that heavy.  You'd basically be getting all the health cons, with none of the strength pros. 

Stones are big time.  WOB looked to be about 19'. 
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/04/12 at 2:02pm
Word!  Had to get some side-footage of my WOB...maybe someone will see something I'm not.
The lack of height disturbs me.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/04/12 at 4:24pm
Today's 455 FS (WOOT!!!) brought to you by "Whole Lotta Rosie."

Form was sh@tacular...biceps feeling quite strained atm.  But it went down, and up.

And it was good.

The man in the arena.
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/04/12 at 4:45pm
Matt sez "scoop it".   Or maybe it was Sean.
Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Almost as strong as the top women +75kg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/04/12 at 7:45pm
nice work Dunc, get bigger...on the lifts I mean, not weight.
The competitor to be feared is not the one who worries about others, but the one who goes on making their business better at all times...

www.thestrengthagenda.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/04/12 at 8:18pm
I'm working on it Tom.
The man in the arena.
mthompson33 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/05/12 at 7:31am
Originally posted by Alan H Alan H wrote:

Matt sez "scoop it".   Or maybe it was Sean.

Yeah, that was Sean.  I'm seeing MUCH better results with my trigger on WOB...  The next 3 weeks will tell me whether or not I'm on the right path...
Matt Thompson

"If you wake up and you're not in pain, you know you're dead." -- Russian Proverb
rogerws76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerws76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/05/12 at 12:56pm
I am no WoB expert but I do have a degree in Kinesiology.  I think side video is the most instructive on this event. 

I took some side video of Dan McKim (he's not too bad at it) at the Costa Mesa games this year and broke it down into 8 frames. I did the same with your video and used the position of the weight as the breakpoint for the frames.  I used the throw between 40 and 45 seconds on your tape.

The thing to notice is the body angles. Specifically Femur Angles and the Back Angles.

In the 1st frame you can notice just a subtle difference in McKim's back it is leaned just a little forward of yours.

In the 2nd frame you can see tha both his butt is lower and his back is also bent lower.  Another clue is to notice that his elbow is completely inside his knee.

In the 3rd frame you can see the his knees are bent more and that he has managed to get his arm back so that the very bottom of his deltoid is obscured by the knee. (I think THIS is the biggest key to power in this event to unleash the power of the legs.)

In the 4th frame you can see that his waist is the first thing that fires and that the weight is still way behind him as his backs and hips begin to straighten.

On this the 5th frame you can see a dramatic difference in the angle as McKim's back is now fully straightened and his throwing shoulder is completely relaxed.

On the 6th frame there is almost a straight line between his knees and neck as he prepares to bring the weight up. It is the quick hip thrust here that I believe gives the final burst of power.

In the 7th frame his shoulder is still relaxed in pendulum form as he transfers the momentum to his arm.  Notice in your frame how your shoulder seems to be rolling in.  I think you are trying to use a little of your shoulder here for power and I think that actually SLOWS your arm down.

By the 8th frame you can see that there is still a pretty straight line betweeen his neck and hips as he releases.

One other thing I noticed is that you tend to have this little hop at the end of your motion where your right foot goes back and your left foot goes forward.  I think this could cost you a couple of inches as your entire body is heading toward the ground at this point while you are trying to get the implement up and that is counter productive.  (I do this same kind of think on the Braemar all the time for reasons I do not know why!) :(

Hope this helps! Hope to get some side film on Zolk to compare it with at some point.

Edited by rogerws76 - 9/05/12 at 1:30pm
Roger
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/05/12 at 1:19pm
Roger, that's awesome. I'd love to see a breakdown of mine to see where I'm going off too. You could find yourself with a full-time non-paying job on this site with that stuff ;)
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/05/12 at 1:22pm
The biggest difference I can see is Duncs GOMAD hanging out the bottom of his shirt on the 7th and 8th frame!
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/05/12 at 1:38pm
Roger, that is  a phenomenal analysis. PHENOMENAL.

You know, if we could get, maybe Mike Z. and Andy V. and maybe one of two other Pro's to get some video of WOB from the side, that would be extremely cool.

I'm taking video of my throws tomorrow night!
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/05/12 at 1:48pm
I was talking to someone this weekend who was telling me about an old thrower that was maybe 220lbs or so, yet still smashing 16+ easy standing wob. He was telling me how he just buried his right shoulder because he reached back so far. He would actually twist is his torso to allow himself to reach back farther, as soon as it started sinking he started pulling. Said he got such a huge pull on it that it was clearing 16+ easy. You can see how McKim does this as well, though the backswing isn't as prevalent as I was told. Zolk does the same thing, really reaching back far. THis is something I'm going to play with over the next few practices.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/05/12 at 2:52pm
Matty S was the same way. If you can find the vid of him clearing 18 in P-Ton on a knock-off bar, his shoulders end up below his knees for a second.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8485868788 189>
  Share Topic