FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Who should throw as a Master?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 11:58am
Interesting topic-- as I finish my first full season having done reasonably well  as a Master about to turn 43- I am looking forward to doing some throwing in the A class as well next season (probably throw A's one day and then Master the next if allowed)-I have to say that I agree that if your over 40 you certainly deserve to throw with other 40 year olds if you want to- I also certainly can see the attraction of throwing with the younger guys- I don't mind the 56 at this point and usually will warm up with it during Masters comps- there are some interesting studies about aging that have recently been published which show that well trained athletes are increasingly performing at high levels despite advancing age- (we certainly have some great example of this in our sport right now-e.g Don Stewart, Baab, Flynn, Vierra , Chafin, K Smith  etc.,.)- In the end I thinks it's largely about competing with yourself
ken crum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken crum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 12:18pm

When I turned 40 I looked forward to the Masters division for the simple fact of throwing the 42 and the 16 pound hammer at most comp's.

It also was apparent that when I was closing in on the 40 year mark I just wasnt keeping up with the talent in the A class, my places and marks just were not up where they use to be.

Showing up and throwing in the A's ending up 5th,6th or 7th... I felt like I was just clogging up the field and not being competitive anymore. Plus my leaving the A class potentially opened up a spot for a new face in the throwing field.

crum
Steve Conway View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Conway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 12:36pm
At least on the West Coast; we started the 40-49 class (we already had a 50+ class) because there wasn't any place for some Pro's and A's to continue throwing after turning 40 and feeling that they weren't competitive enough to continue in their respective classes. Prior to that you had to either stop throwing or wait until you turned 50. The Pro's could sit out for 2 yr.s and come back as A's, very few did... In answer to the question "who should throw as a Master?"; anyone over the age of 40 if that's what they want to do.
WALLY.OLECIK View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 8:33pm
The question of "who should throw as a Master?" is not much different than "who should throw as a 190 and under?"  l believe that if the shoe fits, you're allowed to wear it!!!!
16lb-hammer(at)sshga.org

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no 'try!'" Yoda
AncientOne View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AncientOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/09 at 12:27am

Hey-

I've posted some photos of the Masters 2003 on a FaceBook page at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=796445440&ref=pro file#/pages/Scottish-Masters-Athletics-International-LLC/145 102534842?ref=sgm

Craig Smith and the Team USA guys were judges while Don S and Mike B were throwing first time together... and I think Gene volunteered to judge that year as well. 

-K

Winners are remarkably adept at figuring out what's required to win.
Rob Schultz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Schultz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/09 at 4:39am

I have been doing a lot of thinking about the masters class and I am debating if I should not throw in it and just throw in the A-class only.

My thoughts are this... Should athletes competing in the MWC be the best throwers for each age group period. Or should it be for the guys who have throw in this class all year long???

Captain Rob Schultz
Charter Boat Adventures

http://www.makoadventures.com
chirolifter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chirolifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/09 at 5:43am
Either group I throw in, I still cant move too good till thursday!!!  Damn its hard to recover!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"It's what you do when no one is watching that builds character."

Gene Flynn
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/09 at 6:08am
Originally posted by Rob Schultz Rob Schultz wrote:

I have been doing a lot of thinking about the masters class and I am debating if I should not throw in it and just throw in the A-class only.

My thoughts are this... Should athletes competing in the MWC be the best throwers for each age group period. Or should it be for the guys who have throw in this class all year long??

Ii haven't been to a MWC but seeing as anybody who's 50-59 years old or over can throw in the 50-59's at any local Games, I don't see why they can't throw at the MWC.  Now, there IS a rule (I think), which is really only applicable to the 40-49's, which says that you have to throw in the class a certain number of times during the year to qualify.  So IMHO, if Ryan Viera throws "Pro" at eight or nine Games during the year, and then throws in the 40's for 3-4 Games and doesn't get paid for those Games, then sure, why not?  He fulfilled the rule, and threw in the class the required number of times during the year.  He should be able to throw at the MWC's.

Regarding the whole issue of "should pro's  or even ex-pro's get to throw in the Masters"? Here are my thoughts, for the 2 cents they're worth.

I don't go out there to beat other guys....well, except for Steve Elliot!!   That's dumb, at this point. I go out there to beat MYSELF...to improve,  to do my best, and to challenge myself. I also go out there because it's fun and I like hanging out with  good looking old farts like me and watch the hot chicks ogle us.   So if some guy who's a pro but happens to be 50 years old (or 40, if I was in the 40's) wants to come out and throw in my class and I don't have a snowballs chance in hell of beating him, well....so what? Maybe I'll learn something from the guy, and be a better thrower for the experience.  I could care less if I'm "throwing for second place".
Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/09 at 6:12am
That's not quite correct:  you just need to throw in several games in the preceding year (which is an oft-forgiven rule).  Think of it this way:  you're eligible to go to MWC as soon as you're 40, so for some people it could be their first masters games.  Also, there is no requirement that a master ever throw unpaid to be eligible.
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
Soul Eater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/09 at 6:32am
From what I know of the MWC it's more about the experience as a whole
than just the top individuals who place. Until you give travel money to the
top 10 you never know who will show until the posted deadline. Don't limit
this group to the top throwers. I haven't supported the MWC in years, but
that doesn't mean I don't believe in what they are doing and or the amount
of effort that they pour into it. Master's are not only very competitive but
very social.
thegnome View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/09 at 7:05am
MWC is a great experience.  This year was awesome,met some great new people and had a fabulous time. I hope to do more in the upcoming years.
Andrew G

Vada a bordo CAZZO!!!!
17/20 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17/20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/09 at 7:11am
We do know how to party, but we go to bed very early. Baab/ Stewart Loon 09' did adhere to the 9 pm bed check rule. MWC/Loon-all 40 plus guys are pretty fortunate to have the oppurtunity. Loon more performance based, MWC open to all but as competive within those five year blocks.  I've been very lucky to attend both, having had success at both, but more than that meeting some class people at both.
I MAY BE BIG , BUT I'M FAST
M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/09 at 7:18am
rob - the MWC is about seeing the same guys for years at different places. Each class usually has 3-5 seriously competitive people and 5-7 more there for the fun or PR's . The 40-44 class is usually the most competitive top to bottom - participation begins to dwindle down as the 5 year groups move up the age ladder. But you can have death battles in any class. Come for the fun - it took me 4 years to get Myles back in the MWC after 2003 and of course - He beats me in 2007! But I'll get his butt back someday 'cause see.....we've got literally the rest of our lives to compete against each other 'till injuries win. Show up next year in Colorado and I guarandamntee you that you'll be in a fight as good as any open game.
51 , 72 and 15 at 50
M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/09 at 7:20am
Oh.....and Kel....I'll see you at Ptown next year 50+ class.............being a dick
51 , 72 and 15 at 50

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/09 at 8:17am
I'm not going to be around someone's getting married, nice try though, how
did you think you got a spot something had to open up, it's an invite
remember. So how does that make you feel.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/09 at 8:24am
I'm just pulling your chain Mike, is your neck ok. Might want to start training
that neck a little harder with me around. We will have fun. I'll ask Steve to
make your shirts Pink and periwinkle because.... your special.
M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/09 at 1:13pm

special ed maybe......now c'mon Kel - you gotta be nice. It's my first trip to kneel at the altar of Pleasanton. This game is my off season motivation tool.

51 , 72 and 15 at 50
Shepherd4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shepherd4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/09 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by M-BAAB M-BAAB wrote:

rob- Hell , Myles and I started this at 42. I threw open till my body MADE me lose the 40 or 50 lbs that you NEED to compete as an open. The plain fact of pain levels and longevity will/did win. Masters is not a testoterone dripping wired up deal like so many open games where friendliness comes 2nd. We are a bunch of survivors or late bloomers STILL fighting to stay in the game. I throw lots of masters games here in Tx and win most everything easily (not being a dick). I do this 'cause these are my buddies man. Who gives a shit who threw farthest? throw where you get the most jollies  - fighting kids or laffing w. buddies while STILL throwing your best. AND reason # 1 = throwing the 42 is just sweeeet. Have fun.   

Being a lightweight adds another dimension to it.  When i turn 40 (in 18 months), I can keep dropping the last few pounds to get to 190, or I can throw masters.  Either way, I stick with the 42 -- and I looooves me some 42!

On a lark, I threw in the open class recently.  Ugh.  When you're a mere 195lbs (and your last name isn't Burchett), the 56 is really, really heavy.

mpc
"Think of Tiger Woods out there hitting a bucket of balls. He's not swinging the 5-iron to get stronger -- he's swinging it to hone the groove. Hone the groove."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/09 at 6:26pm
Ok Mike I'll give you a break. So this is like your holy grail. Mine was
Braemar.
M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/09 at 4:27am
Absolutely = my 8th year in this silliness and never been to the really big show 'cause I was in retail carbizz. No more! The bucket  list will be one shorter 
51 , 72 and 15 at 50
CraigGallo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigGallo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/09 at 4:47am
roland i told u theres no retiring for u!
CaberKing View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaberKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/09 at 2:15am

Originally posted by CraigGallo CraigGallo wrote:

roland i told u theres no retiring for u!

Wow. You are everywhere! You are even in my dreams. No more calling you "Rock." From now on its "Sir, Yes Sir!"

"Sir, I'd like another, Sir!"

Honorary Chaplain of the "Brotherhood of Michigan Throwers."
MacFarlane Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacFarlane Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/09 at 8:46am
All in All Baab and Mule are in the right ballpark on this.

I had the honor this summer of finishing 3'rd in the masters at cape cod.

The same game Don S set all the new records in Masters 50+.

Scott D finished second and was toe to toe with Don all day but he is in the masters 40+ so his good throws all day didn't make headlines.

I'll be in the masters 60+ next year.

We had a great day eaven if I got third by being in a field of three!

Masters class is great!

At least my low throws showed the contrast of how great Don and Ken are for the uninformed crowd.

It's all good.
Red C
I may be Small and Slow, but I'm Old and Treacherous!
Detroitpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Detroitpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/09 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Shepherd4 Shepherd4 wrote:

Originally posted by M-BAAB M-BAAB wrote:

rob- Hell , Myles and I started this at 42. I threw open
till my body MADE me lose the 40 or 50 lbs that you NEED to compete as
an open. The plain fact of pain levels and longevity will/did win. Masters
is not a testoterone dripping wired up deal like so many open games
where friendliness comes 2nd. We are a bunch of survivors or late
bloomers STILL fighting to stay in the game. I throw lots of masters
games here in Tx and win most everything easily (not being a dick). I do
this 'cause these are my buddies man. Who gives a shit who threw
farthest? throw where you get the most jollies  - fighting kids or laffing
w. buddies while STILL throwing your best. AND reason # 1 = throwing
the 42 is just sweeeet. Have fun.   
Being a lightweight adds
another dimension to it.  When i turn 40 (in 18 months), I can keep
dropping the last few pounds to get to 190, or I can throw masters. 
Either way, I stick with the 42 -- and I looooves me some 42!On a lark, I
threw in the open class recently.  Ugh.  When you're a mere 195lbs (and
your last name isn't Burchett), the 56 is really, <span style="text-
decoration: underline;">really</span> heavy.mpc

Shepherd4--I'm with ya! Us old and small guys LOVE some 42! Even in
the Masters I feel like I'm the mascot of the flight--and man-o-man do
we have some kick butt Masters in Michigan- I feel lucky just to throw
with them--and steal every trick I can get!
Trainerterry View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trainerterry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/09 at 2:10pm
there is one reason make that 3 reasons I look forward to the masters... they seem to have more fun then many of the rest of us do, they usually have better cigars, and older more expensive scotch.
"A man has to know his limitations" - Detective Harold Callahan
ken crum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken crum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/09 at 4:02pm

Originally posted by Trainerterry Trainerterry wrote:

there is one reason make that 3 reasons I look forward to the masters... they seem to have more fun then many of the rest of us do, they usually have better cigars, and older more expensive scotch.

Dont forget the "hot women"

crum
BrittneyBoswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrittneyBoswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/09 at 12:32am
Having spent a good number of my games throwing with the Masters flight (combining women, masters and 190s is pretty common down my way) I gatta say they are some of the funniest and most laid back of the athletes I get the chance to throw with.
Highland Games - The drama is so high, because the stakes are so low.
climber511 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote climber511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/09 at 3:07am
I started at age 59 at a skinny 200# (this is my second year).  And I do it for the shear joy of it - I'll never be competitive against the bigger and much more experienced (and usually much younger at the small games I attend) Masters but I sure have fun.  I don't care who throws with me or against me as long as I don't have to use that crazy 56.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic