Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Who should throw as a Master?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Schultz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who should throw as a Master?
    Posted: 10/21/09 at 12:53am

This topic has me confused???

To me a master is a thrower that is a very good thrower but just is older.

Should a guy that is 40 to 55 that throws the LWFD 30 feet or the stone 25 feet compete as a master?

Or is it a age thing only???

Captain Rob Schultz
Charter Boat Adventures

http://www.makoadventures.com
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 1:20am

It's age only.  You've made it far enough in life that you deserve to not throw the 56, should you choose to do so. 

It should really be called the Senior class

I bet Myles has some thoughts on this.

Rob Schultz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Schultz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 1:28am
I know myles has thoughts on this. When we talk on the phone and this topic is brought up I change the subject real quick.
Captain Rob Schultz
Charter Boat Adventures

CaberKing View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaberKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 1:50am
Senior class? Craig - that hurts.
Honorary Chaplain of the "Brotherhood of Michigan Throwers."
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 2:04am

Originally posted by CaberKing CaberKing wrote:

Senior class? Craig - that hurts.

I kid, I kid 

Sleeping Dragon View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleeping Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 4:10am
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

You've made it far enough in life that you deserve to not throw the 56, should you choose to do so. 

People wondered why I was smiling when I turned 40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDLgedB70IQ -John Shingler
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 4:35am
I think you should always throw in the highest class you can.  For you to turn 40 and jump in the masters when your clearly an open thrower is junk.  I would throw pro if I was good enough.  Now if you have had an injury or your not a good open thrower because of what ever then masters is ok.  But when you were in the top 10 throwers in the am class(Rob) you don't need to be throwing masters.  A super game like the worlds or Loon is an exception.  I think we should always be looking to move up in competition.  It is just my opinion and it is worth what you just paid for it. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
chirolifter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chirolifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 4:43am

I agree with Myles.  Thats why I am trying to get back to more pro games ( I dont feel im good enough to throw with these guys either- but are we ever good enough??).

However it was the thought of throwing the 42 that got me BACK into the games.  After a 6 yr. lay off to do ultra endurance competitions I found my self at 200#, 40 and not a fast twitch fiber left in my body..  Then I decided I wanted to get back into the games...  My first season back i was 240 and the 42 was kickin my arse.... 

Now I am hitting my stride and ready for more pro games...

Dont know how many years I got left, but im going keep on gettin after it as long as I can...

"It's what you do when no one is watching that builds character."

Gene Flynn
KTDupuis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTDupuis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 5:17am

Rob, you know my take on this...

Look at the game you are going to, and based on who will be there, pick the division that makes the most sense. You are not looking for a cake walk or an easy win. Pick the division that makes sense.

I will compete in whatever division allows me to prolong my life as a thrower. When I turn 40 (3 years from now) I will see what the body is telling me. Those of us who have no desire (or skill) to go pro, only want to prolong the amount of time we get to play.

By the time I am 40 I will have 12 years of highland games on me. That is a lot of Advil, a few MRIs, probably a couple more cortisone shots, 9,000 rolls of tape...and a metric ton of Capsasin/Biofreeze.

If the 42 will buy me an extra decade inside the trig with a weight, instead of outside the trig with a clipboard, well...I will use the 42 without hesitation when the time comes.

...but if I am still throwing at an A level, and the 56 isn't killing me, I am not going to avoid it either.

"I have a right to my opinion, and my opinion is that you have no right to your opinion" - G. Carlin
FlyinFree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyinFree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 5:20am
Originally posted by chirolifter chirolifter wrote:

6 yr. lay off to do ultra endurance competitions I found my self at 200#, 40 and not a fast twitch fiber left in my body.. 

COOOOOOOOOOOLL!!!  I needed to read that! I can do this!

thanks for posting

Todd Reese
"Max the Body to tap the Brain, deplete the Brain for Spiritual Dependance
Kilted Canuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilted Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 5:45am
I don't like the name Seniors class .. in Scotland I saw it referred to as the "Super Adults" now that sounds much better...  Also turning just 40 you may still be able to hang with the younger crowd but up at 60 and 70 your body totally changes and my hats go off to men and women at at age 60+, toss cabers, and still throw heavy stuff and kick butt in general.  95% of the time I throw with women that are 1/2 my age and Elite athletes with is totally cool they really push me to throw well, but so do the high level of Master Women throwers I compete with. And for now we still throw the same weights as I do in an open competition... they have just started for women over 50+ to have lighter weight for WOB and HWFD.    Besides many of the top male and female Masters are top in the field no matter what division they throw in!!  Also as we all get older... our bodies after 50+ may thank us for throwing the #42 WOB even though strong bodies like Mlyes & Dirk, as such make the #56WOB & all the events look so easy (super good)
So the question why throw as a Master... "why not!" besides we have cookies and better meds to share - Karyn
Soul Eater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 5:54am
I went into the Masters class because my good friend asked me to help him
grow the class, that simple. The 40 class became a very strong class in nor-
cal and because of it's strength it took the B class spot at Pleasanton.

Now I will address that remark Mr.Smith made about us changing the
masters name to Senoir's, did that just come to you or did you spend allot of
time working on that. Most likely you were filling your diaper's up when I
started to lift funny boy. Ha Ha just kidding, stinky potty poopy panties.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 5:56am
Originally posted by FlyinFree FlyinFree wrote:

Originally posted by chirolifter chirolifter wrote:

6 yr. lay off to do ultra endurance competitions I found my self at 200#, 40 and not a fast twitch fiber left in my body.. 

COOOOOOOOOOOLL!!!  I needed to read that! I can do this!

thanks for posting

You do realize that Gene is right around 300lbs now, with traps touching his ears, right?

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 5:58am

Originally posted by Soul Eater Soul Eater wrote:

Now I will address that remark Mr.Smith made about us changing the
masters name to Senoir's, did that just come to you or did you spend allot of
time working on that. Most likely you were filling your diaper's up when I
started to lift funny boy. Ha Ha just kidding, stinky potty poopy panties.

Boy you Seniors sure are crotchety...

Mike Wills View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Wills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 6:17am
I was just thinking that about Gene...He is about 6'3" and 300 lbs.  I met him when he was just stopping the endurance stuff, and now I refer to him as "The man who ate Gene Flynn"!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 7:08am
Craig do you like stepping in dog 5h!t [LOL]
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 7:09am
chirolifter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chirolifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 7:09am

Putting on the size and strength AGAIN was the hardest thing I ever did.  Harder than non stop racing for 300 miles across Ireland- unsupported!!!

I went through tremendous pain in the joints and it took about 2 years to STOP running (which i loved to do)...  It took a total of about 6 yrs. to get to my current size and strength...  

Well, maybe the hardest thing was saying goodbye to my abs...

"It's what you do when no one is watching that builds character."

Gene Flynn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 7:21am
Dude you said Via con dios to your abs. Have you ever heard of a dickdo?
It's when your stomach hangs out further than your dickdo. Ha ha just
funnin with you brother welcome to the crotchety seniors.
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 8:01am
Karyn, Gene, Kel, Kevin are all right.  I was talking about guys cherry picking in some of the little games.  My body is telling me to throw masters and I might not have a choice but to listen if I can come back at all.  If you go to Pleasinton and win the masters then you have done something.  How one person feels and his injury history is different from the next.  A person just competing is great.  And I know Craig has nothing but respect, so don't let him fool you in any way. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Rob Schultz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Schultz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 8:17am

Originally posted by Silverback Silverback wrote:

It is just my opinion and it is worth what you just paid for it. 

Not true. Myles your opinion means a lot to me.

Captain Rob Schultz
Charter Boat Adventures

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 8:19am

Originally posted by Silverback Silverback wrote:

And I know Craig has nothing but respect, so don't let him fool you in any way. 

M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 8:36am
rob- Hell , Myles and I started this at 42. I threw open till my body MADE me lose the 40 or 50 lbs that you NEED to compete as an open. The plain fact of pain levels and longevity will/did win. Masters is not a testoterone dripping wired up deal like so many open games where friendliness comes 2nd. We are a bunch of survivors or late bloomers STILL fighting to stay in the game. I throw lots of masters games here in Tx and win most everything easily (not being a dick). I do this 'cause these are my buddies man. Who gives a shit who threw farthest? throw where you get the most jollies  - fighting kids or laffing w. buddies while STILL throwing your best. AND reason # 1 = throwing the 42 is just sweeeet. Have fun.   
51 , 72 and 15 at 50
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 8:43am
Originally posted by M-BAAB M-BAAB wrote:

rob- Hell , Myles and I started this at 42. I threw open till my body MADE me lose the 40 or 50 lbs that you NEED to compete as an open. The plain fact of pain levels and longevity will/did win. Masters is not a testoterone dripping wired up deal like so many open games where friendliness comes 2nd. We are a bunch of survivors or late bloomers STILL fighting to stay in the game. I throw lots of masters games here in Tx and win most everything easily (not being a dick). I do this 'cause these are my buddies man. Who gives a shit who threw farthest? throw where you get the most jollies  - fighting kids or laffing w. buddies while STILL throwing your best. AND reason # 1 = throwing the 42 is just sweeeet. Have fun.   

Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 8:45am
Mike is all wrong.  He means I was 30 when we started.  When I turn 40 I might throw masters also.  Now that I am in my late, late and later 30's I see the light. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 8:52am
Damn! I forgot that The Plowmule is living backwards like Merlin. See , if Myles or Gene or Ed or Don or Petur or a whole list  of old farts are up to tossing open - I'll jump in too. Throw with your old or new pals whatever the hell they're throwing.And did I mention that the 42 is sweeeet?!
51 , 72 and 15 at 50
CaberKing View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaberKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 9:12am

Originally posted by M-BAAB M-BAAB wrote:

I too started at 42 - and after a car accident at 35 that left me with a serious back injury. For the first year and a half I threw the 56 with the young boys. I was ready for the 42! Unfortunately it looks like arthritis in my back may have sealed my fate - but I will keep on trying for as long as I can, and appreciating the great group of men that also love this sport - especially Craig. (When the pro's take the field, my kids shout the loudest for Craig - or was it Kerry, can't remember).

Honorary Chaplain of the "Brotherhood of Michigan Throwers."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 10:19am
Whoa! Mike, should we get you some mayonnaise to batter up your head
with, so you can slip through door ways more easily.(not being a dick) I
thought the header for this thread was kind of like, for a lack of a better
word... dumb, sorry. But it ended up as being a fun thread. Masters are
totally age based unless you have never thrown and you should start as a
novice until your Caber skills are developed. Pro's 40 + don't have to wait if
the want to go down a class they can throw Masters without sitting out a
year or 2. I really think we get very good throwers in these classes, the
comp at the big games is just as fun to watch as the Pro's or A's. We have
huge championships where everyone over 40 is welcome, none of the other
championships are like that. I think there is more camaraderie because of
the shear number of us at games.
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 11:16am
I throw Masters 'cause I's skeered o' that big ole 56 weight.
clwoods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clwoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/09 at 11:28am
Being new to the sport I may have a little different take on the situation.. Throw in whatever division you want, or can!

Like Mike says, If throwing against guy's half your age and twice as strong is your thing...go for it! But from my perspective throwing with the advil and geritol crowd is a blast! We have a lot more fun on the Masters side of the field. Maybe we just do things a little differently here in Texas.

I threw in my 2nd games with Baab and he's right. It was the Mike Baab show and the rest of us were just spectators. But it didn't matter, we were all there to have fun and we did. Despite the torrential downpour
Woody
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic