FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Loooooooooooooooooon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loooooooooooooooooon
    Posted: 9/18/09 at 2:47pm
Just left Alistar and Dirk's room where The Stewart and I watched 'em drinking REAL Canadian beer at an alarming pace after an hour of oldfart jocks tellin' war stories     "Blloody Hell, That's nothing ! I competed with the Kaz...and beat him! " or " Yeah....I've thrown with or know everyone in shot ,weight ,strongman ,lifting and discus since the Greeks"  or " I'm running out of room to put my Master's world championship trophies - wife says five is too many and sort of tacky"..................hmmmm........."Gee , I played football...hehe".......jerks.      ANYWAY ,  bright and sunny - I DID drive through two rainstorms  on the way up through the mountains , so my raingawd status remains quo. Met Gene at the dinner - you get a bucket of lasagna at Fratello's - I unashamably licked mine clean > Remet Dan Dillon . Said hello to all the strongman guys - they're all bigger than last year - animals all. You know why Neighbor won the World's ? he's a BIG guy. Said hello to Petur , Doc Roc ,all the New England Guys and everybody else ..Scott P...I'm going to bed -little jacuzeeee and a 7am wake up call . 8 in the lobby - the Stewart likes to get there early.......and he's driving. Saw Art in the lobby - throw w. us next year!  Tomorrow , we live as kings.
51 , 72 and 15 at 50
M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/19/09 at 9:36am
Petur wins - throws 40.1 br and 54.3 HUGE last shot ostoneWR - he sat down and said" That one felt good" . Don missed an os WR by an inch  and got the shf 31' WR' and wob 19 WR  standing . Gene won sheaf and 28 . I had my best wob  throw 18 (third) and best throw 48.5 (2nd) and best 22br 35.4 of the year . Perfect weather and a great crowd and the Highlander guys . I like this game .
51 , 72 and 15 at 50
Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/19/09 at 11:13am
Mike baab lit up the crowd with his rugged good looks and weird yoga-master stretches. Full splits anyone? Once Art announced that Baab used to play for tha Pats they just went nuts. What a day. Gene is a sheaf throwing god, and Gudmundsson looks as awesome as ever. All the highlander guys agreed they want to be Don Stewart when they grow up. New 50+ masters' WR in the sheaf toss to add to his collection.
Petur Gudmundsson is the 2009 Neqw Hampshire masters'champion.
medic78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/20/09 at 3:40am
It's ok Mike they don't no any better up there lol glad you had a dryer day than last week
chirolifter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chirolifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/20/09 at 11:10am

A huge thank you to ALL who made Loon possible, Dr. Bill and Holly Crawford, Mr. and Mrs. D'Amante, great annoucing by Art McDermott, Judges- Wayne, Leroy, Hapy, Field crew, Tony and however else I left out (sorry)....

Competition was amazing as I was honored being on the field with such legends and gentlemen!

Camaraderie is why I love this sport so much. We battled like Gladiators all day and yet we encouragement each other all day!!!

Hats off to all my competitors, looking forward to next year!!!

Gene

"It's what you do when no one is watching that builds character."

Gene Flynn
Skullsplitter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skullsplitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/21/09 at 11:38am
Great job to all the athletes. Congratulations to Petur as the Masters Champion this year. I only want to set up the most fertile situation possible for the athletes to succeed, and with a group of athletes like this it never disappoints. Again, great job by all the athletes.
"I am the thread, the pupil, and the eye of the needle is my teacher"
Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/21/09 at 12:59pm
Yeah, what he said.  Great stuff all around.

The weather was perfect (well, maybe a little windy) and the competition dynamite.  Oh, but there were a lot of fouls, including a bunch out the back, for cryin' out loud.  The field of athletes was terrific, and they pushed each other in every event.  We missed Myles, though.  We called him from the field while Art McDermott was auctioning off the challenge caber to the spectators.  As I handed the phone to Baab, I realized the flaw in this plan:  when I got it back, I could just slap it to my hip and let the tacky hold it in place.

I'll post the results as soon as I can, but Petur had an OS that is likely to stand as the 45+ WR for quite a while.

Don Stewart had a couple of 50+ WRs, for sheaf and WOB, that will probably stand at least until the next time he throws.  It must be satisfying to him that his standing WOB equaled the best 50+ spinning throw.

Petur won the challenge caber this year and, following Ryan's lead from last year, split the prize with the other caber competitors.
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Highland Games' virtually straight legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/21/09 at 1:38pm

Sounds like a great time and a great Games.  Is a DVD going to be produced again this year?  If so, please put me down for one.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

Aaron Neighbour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Neighbour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/23/09 at 3:27am

The most enjoyable games of the year for me, and thats taking into account injury and watching the 40+ guys doing all the good events ;-)

It was the most organised comp i have ever been to, great crowd support and you couldn't ask for a better bunch of competitors and volunteers, hats off to all involved.

17/20 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17/20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/23/09 at 10:03am

Ya 10-4 regarding the crowd Aaron: you perform you hear it, you don't perform their polite, you do something special they go crazy train. Aaron hope you feeling better.

Thanks to all for making my son feel so welcome and special. I'm sure he was telling all is friends he chillin with M.Baab of NFL fame and Magnus von ( I keep correcting him ) x 4 WSM.

Man wish I was 40 again and had 10 more years to look forward to. One more maybe with Myles on the field.  

I MAY BE BIG , BUT I'M FAST
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/23/09 at 10:12am
Originally posted by 17/20 17/20 wrote:

Man wish I was 40 again and had 10 more years to look forward to. One more maybe with Myles on the field.  

Don - Stop selling yourself short.  You are in better shape and throwing form than most half your age.  No disrespect intended.

Al
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/23/09 at 12:29pm
Brother Don, I can't wait to be on the field with you next year, please don't think of stopping.  The fact is your a freak of nature that looks like 30, and has 10 years easy in there.  Guys who are 20 wish they could throw like you. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Soul Eater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/23/09 at 12:37pm
Don I appreciate that you still throw for the love of the game or the love of
throwing. I wish I had thrown in High school or college or even in my late
twenties instead of my late thirties. I just hit the half century mark a month
ago. Although my throws aren't anywhere near your marks, I look forward to
the game like I was 9 going to Disneyland. I think your a icon in this sport
more for the fact that you continue to throw at 50 instead of how well you
threw 20 years ago. I think that is a true mark of a champion that has
managed to train smart and keep their body healthy consistently for 30 +
years. I'm sure you have had injuries over the years. I'm sure there will be a
time and a place for you to hang it up. I would believe your son feels lucky
to have you for a father because if he didn't he might not have been able to
meet the other famous guys.
matt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

World Champ - '99 -'03

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/23/09 at 7:54pm
Masters starts at forty?
Soul Eater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/23/09 at 8:33pm
Yes. You there yet young fella.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/24/09 at 12:26am
Originally posted by Soul Eater Soul Eater wrote:

I would believe your son feels lucky to have you for a father because if he didn't he might not have been able to meet the other famous guys.

Now, THERE's a reason to hang around!  Not so much because of the other famous guys, but so he can experience his dad in his element.  I'll bet he has dreams about that.  If you lose a step as you get older, but keep competing and setting records, that teaches him something too.

In 10/20/30 years, you want people to dredge up the old pictures of Cole "way back when".
mcdonl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcdonl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/24/09 at 1:04am

I coach youth soccer, among other coaching and one of the lessons I try to get across to the kids is to give it everything you have, don't play it safe and don't give 50%

To get this across to them I share the story of Don's HWFD last year at Loon. 2 Fouls, a 1st or 2nd place finish on the line and what does he do... In typical Holywood fashion he steps in the box and gives 100%... and fouls a 3rd time but he did it knowing he gave everything.

Wow... feels like a eulogy.... Don, you still out there? :)

Leroy

Leroy McDonough
17/20 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17/20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/24/09 at 9:55am

Thanks, for all those kind words. Gonna crawl in my hole and start looking at some fall/winter routines. Light and fast pulls, heavy intense squatting, throwing drills with the events throughout the year.

M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/25/09 at 8:58am

scribbling furiously........

51 , 72 and 15 at 50
gudmundsson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gudmundsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/25/09 at 10:10am

Got back to Iceland this morning and was greeted with cool wind and rain. I already miss the NH wether. Just want to say thanks to Bill/Holly and the crew, Waine, Dana, Eric, Hapy and others for great games and to my fellow competetors on the field for great sportmanship. The games came down to the last event and really to the lasts throws in the sheaf. The D'amantes helt a great party on Saturday as usual and are a wonderful people for all they do for the games. Strongman was great and gongrats to Dan Ford for just being the best prepared and focused strongman on the field this weekend. Look forward to seeja all next year. Just to stay focused I want to say it here, 44´ will be my goal in the BS for next year.

Best viking greetings to all. Pétur, NH master champion 2009

The viking is still throwing.
17/20 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17/20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/27/09 at 4:55am

Petur it was a pleasure once again. You look very fit as well as very explosive as usual. I had my first full rotational stone/shot workout yesterday. I went back to the basics as I did as a Jr in High School. The key for me and I know for you is getting off the left leg (or ball of the left foot I should say). The balance began to come back shortly into the workout. It felt good to take that rotational ride and uncork again. 

The sheaf always creates way too much drama up at Loon.  The soap opera of HG events. 

I say we move to a 20 lb bag and a 56 for dist. and height in 2011.  

Skullsplitter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skullsplitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/27/09 at 5:02am

17/20 vs 54' 6 3/4".  The Saga continues.

"I am the thread, the pupil, and the eye of the needle is my teacher"
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/27/09 at 5:36am
Petur, your stone record should keep you warm this winter.  Think how much better that is than not taking 3 extras!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/09 at 11:48am
Results are up.  Please let me know if you see any errors.
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/09 at 11:56am
And what about right after the game, did Petur pull out the green bottle?  
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/09 at 11:57am
I saw an empty green bottle lyin' on the field.
51 , 72 and 15 at 50
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/09 at 12:07pm
Petur handed out teeny green bottles to a lot of people <holds his up to his monitor>, but proceeded to pull out a large one and shared it with Bill Crawford inside of about a minute.  I think you could call it a release for both of them.  Dana Florence and Hapy Mayer spotted one at the D'Amante's house later on (Petur and family had stayed there) and it was quickly dispatched.
gudmundsson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gudmundsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/29/09 at 5:29pm
Yes the green stuff really clears the throat after a long day of joyful throwing, glad you guys enjoy it. Good to hear Don that you are working on the full spin, it really generates more speed and momentum. For next year some work is needed in the hammer-weights area for me, to many fouls in the weights and just a crapy hammer thrower. Skál for next year. 
The viking is still throwing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic