FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Hey Wayne Hill, ...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AncientOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hey Wayne Hill, ...
    Posted: 4/06/05 at 5:35am

MrWizard-

Maybe you can help me with this one:

I'm planning my trip to New Hampshire for the Masters World Championships in September,... and I've booked a cruise for me and the ol'lady up to Nova Scotia after the competition.

I'd like to have a kilt made in NS plaid that I can pickup while we're up there. Can you tell me how to find the right kilt-maker for me in the area along the coast between Yarmouth and Halifax?

Thanks for any help,

-ScotiaPrince

Winners are remarkably adept at figuring out what's required to win.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/05 at 6:45am
Don't be suprised if Wayne(aka the Doctor)knows where to go-he hasn't ley us down yet in his vast knowledge
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Roy Bogue View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Bogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/05 at 7:25am
I am just shocked we don't already have a detailed reply!
Donate lately?
Richard Doria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Doria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/05 at 9:13am
Ask Greg Hadley.  I had my Cape Breton made by a woman in New Glasgow, but I have long since lost that name and number.
Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/05 at 1:12pm
Hey, the pressure's killing me here!

Unfortunately, I can't really help.  Aside from that brief thing in college, this whole skirt-wearing thing is kind of new to me.  The main sources I know of are Ann Stewart in Leeds, New York, and the Scottish Lion in North Conway, NH.

I'm actually in the market for a good kilt this year.  Does anyone have an opinion about formal vs casual kilts for athletics?

-Wayne
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
AncientOne View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AncientOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/05 at 1:49pm

WHAT? ... WHAT?

YOU DON'T HAVE NO IDEAS!

WELL, YOU JUST BETTER GET SOME IDEAS- MISTER!

OR, ... WE'RE GONNA TAKE THAT WIZARD HAT AWAY!

AND DON'T TRY TO CHANGE THE SUBJECT EITHER.

NOW, ... GET BUSY.

-PRESSURECOOKER

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/05 at 3:35pm
<sheesh>

Well, here's a place you can order one in Nova Scotia tartan directly from Scotland:

http://www.scotlandshopdirect.com/acatalog/The_Scotland_Shop _Nova_Scotia_Tartan_562.html

Here's a place in Dartmouth, NS (a bit east of Halifax):

http://www.littlescotland.com

They sell custom kilts, but don't list Nova Scotia as an available tartan (go figure).  They make some products in NS, so they might be able to accommodate you.

Ann Stewart (Leeds, New York) can get Nova Scotia tartan from Scotland:

http://www.kiltshop.com/

I've seen her kilts, and they're exquisite.

The Scottish Lion (North Conway, NH) carries Nova Scotia:

http://store.yahoo.com/scottishlion/

My wife has seen their kilts and says they're great.

Now, then:  your opinion on casual versus dress kilts for athletics?

-Wayne
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/05 at 11:38pm
I was just watching the News here in maine and saw that the Scotia Prince
will NOT be docking in Portland anymore due to "mold' in the terminal.
Are you taking the "CAT" from Bar Harbor?

TROB
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AncientOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/07/05 at 2:21am

MrWizard-

Aye, that's more like it! Thanks for the response, I knew you could do it. I'll continue my quest from here.

I wear an 18oz Royal Stewart kilt that my dad gave to me. It's my good one- has regimental pleats and was made in Scotland. I also have a lightweight Kennedy plaid kilt made locally by one of the Dance moms and a couple SportKilts. My opinion, ... the lighter the weight-the worse the wrinkles. Wrinkles on my face are okay, but I don't like em on my kilt. 

My dad has several kilts. One for each of his several pipe bands or pub bands that he performs with. Can't tell ya much about those. The heavy dress kilts last longer, look better and hold up well during long hours of play. 

Good luck in your training,

-ClanMacLaren 

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AncientOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/07/05 at 2:26am

Grasshopper-

MOLD?  I donno.

I was planning on taking the ScotiaPrince from Portland to Yarmouth. Then driving the rental up to Halifax.

They'll have it worked out by the fall, ... I hope.

Thanks for the heads-up,

-AncientOne

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/07/05 at 3:50am
Ya I was watching the news in the morning and they were talking about
canceling service from Portland for the year. And im serious it was
MOLD!!! Portland is seeking legal help to try and get thier services back
for this year. Id call and make sure you can leave from there. Here is the
link to the portland press herald you can read the article:

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/local/050407scotia.sh tml http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/local/050407scotia.sh tml
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AncientOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/07/05 at 4:44am

Grasshopper-

Aye, the entire 2005 season is cancelled due to the mold at the terminal in Portland.

We may take the CAT afterall. I'll look into it.

Thanks for the info,

-Ancient

Richard Doria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Doria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/07/05 at 9:54am
I fly into Manchester, NH, and drive.  It is about six-eight hours, but a beautiful drive.  We usually stop at St. Davids, the southern route into New Brunswick.  Easier to cross the boarder there, too.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/07/05 at 10:23am
So, does that mean we can also count you in for MWC?

-Wayne
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/07/05 at 2:14pm
hey Wayne-are you going to be in the same class as kevin(under 200...40-=49)...and are you still in for May 7th?(more than welcome)
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/07/05 at 2:54pm
Yep and yep.

-Wayne
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/07/05 at 11:31pm
Hey DWOOD

Any way I can get in on the May 7th action?

TROB
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AncientOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/08/05 at 2:14am

Hey Wayne-

Oh, ... I din't realize that we'll be in the same division (<200) at the MWC5.

Jim Spaulding and Kevin Henderson were a ton last year in Oregon. Jim won the overall with some of his best throws ever and he just gets better all the time. I once threw with him in St Louis when his PR was like 18' on the sheaf and, ... well, ... he figured-out some techinque and we both battled up to 25'. It was like every throw was a new PR for him. And he is an impressive stone thrower too ... 38ft'er. Loads of Power.

Kevin Henderson is as solid as rock. He has no weakness in his throws or his character. On my best day, I stand in his shadow. I've not seen Kevin lose at the Caber, ... ever. He's the pride of the Henderson Clan.

It'll be good to meet ya and throw with ya. I'm looking forward to it. You haven't been to the previous MWC competitions, eh?

Good luck in your training,

-SillyWizard

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/08/05 at 6:17am
No, I've only been throwing for two years now, and certainly didn't think I needed to travel 3000 miles to be laughed at.  Heck, I don't even have to leave home to do that.  Considering that I've done most of my throwing as an Am, with some of the best Ams and current and former WR holders, I've been laughed at plenty.

Since MWC is coming to NH this year, I'll have to go less than 100 miles to provide the lightweights someone handy to beat up.  Still, I'm looking forward to getting beaten by guys my own size for once.

-Wayne
McBain1975 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McBain1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/08/05 at 6:35am
I've thrown in both casual and regular kilt. Casual is the best for
throwing. Its lighter weight is more comfortable and stays out of
the way more. As for wrinkles, if that is all you get on your kilt
during a game, then you are not really throwing that hard are
you? Mine usually has dirt, grass, sweat, tacky, chalk, food,
water, Gatoraid and (after the game) alcohol on it to cover up
the wrinkles.
N�l m� ag duine le daoine.
dunikowski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunikowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/05 at 2:59am
Originally posted by Wayne Hill Wayne Hill wrote:

<sheesh>
Well, here's a place you can order one in Nova Scotia tartan directly from Scotland:
http://www.scotlandshopdirect.com/acatalog/The_Scotland_Shop _Nova_Scotia_Tartan_562.html

Hi,

I just wanted to comment, that http://www.scotlandshopdirect.com
is not up to date. Our new shop is now here: http://www.heritageofscotland.com - we have made better photos and added a whole bunch of products.

Cheers

Edited by dunikowski
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic