FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Celtic Highland Games of the Quad Cities

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Celtic Highland Games of the Quad Cities
    Posted: 7/08/08 at 4:50pm

Since I have been asked when will registration be open a few times, I thought I better make a posting.

The 10th Celtic Highland Games of the Quad-Cities will occur on its usual day, the 4th Saturday of August, other wise known as August 23.  Registration will be open in a couple of weeks.

First, second and third place prizes will be engraved daggers.  registration includes admission, water, lunch, and bulk Gatorade

Registration opening is being delayed as Chuck Teas and I are hammer out a few details with the board:

* We would like to drop registration by $5 from $30 to $25.

* We would like to use vacant space next to the athletic field for a hammer field allowing the light hammer to be contested; something that has not happened in several years.

Back by popular demand: Sheaf For Distance Challenge Event     The distance thrown will include the roll of the sheaf.  Rumors go that Jason Clevenger is making something special just for this event. 

The stone prize for the Sheaf for Distance challenge event will featured the below image embossed in the stone:

(I am hoping to have the date embossed in all the stones this year)

The stone will of course be coordinated with the athletic t-shirt:

We will also again have the Standing Weight for Height Award :

The winner is the competitor in each of three classes (those who throw the 56#, 42#, and 28#) who clears the highest height in competition and does not spin on any of his attempts. 

and Best Throwing Couple Award will also be given out

we participate in a family sport.  To encourage this, the couple award was invented.  The couple who have the lowest percentage points wins (see bottom of post).   

The fair grounds is about 100 feet above the Mississippi so it has been high and dry.

Finally, a sincere apology from me for the screw-up with the Celidh admission last year.  As AD, I take full responsibility for the mess and would like to let you all know that the problem has been addressed.  

--------------------------------

percentage points = Place Points earned by husband/ total points possible in his class + place points earned by wife/divided by total points possible in her class

total points possible in a class = N*(N+1)/2*E  
where N = number of throwers and
E = number of events

dividing by the total points available in a class standardize each score so that it falls between 0 to 1.  This way the combination is not tainted by the number of throwers in each class:   

Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
kansaswolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansaswolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/08/08 at 7:06pm
Can we compete in the sheaf for distance if we can't compete in the rest of the events?  Just wondering... 
Hey, I'm a Burchett too!
AncientOne View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AncientOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/09/08 at 2:59am

Mark-

We'll be there. 10 years, eh? I've been to each one.

I've always enjoyed the ceildh at the Quad. One of the best.

-K

Winners are remarkably adept at figuring out what's required to win.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic