Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Who was the Best Strongman?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BACKBREAKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who was the Best Strongman?
    Posted: 6/04/07 at 7:55pm

Kaz or Jon Pall would be my two choices for their times. Kaz won 3 in a row and then wasn't invited back for a while and there was no contest in 87 at Jon Pall's peak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm7g571UIZM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQTyp8Zyq2s

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure." -Bill Cosby
David Schultz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Schultz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/04/07 at 8:18pm
I gotta go with Kaz. From 1980-1982 he dominated WSM, and then wasnt invited back until 1988 and still came in a close second. Who knows how many he could have won if he'd been allowed back in '83.
The Jayster View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Jayster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/05/07 at 2:08pm
kaz, hands down, even the second place in 88 was probably because he finished the comp with a serious bicep[i believe] injury!
please keep robbin, the Conway Family and Frank Henry
Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/05/07 at 3:32pm
I'm not sure of the history, but why was Kaz not invited back for so many years?
BACKBREAKER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BACKBREAKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/05/07 at 3:52pm

Overall power I believe Kaz but for versatility and coming up big when needed Jon Pall, grant Kaz never had too really, he was usually way ahead. Here was a good head 2 head with one of Jon Palls very ironic one liners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvmOV8rpwMA

Edited by BACKBREAKER
"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure." -Bill Cosby
Trainerterry View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trainerterry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/05/07 at 3:53pm

I remember Kaz rolling his ankle on the car flip right off the bat...unless I have my years off.

Kaz was dominant and scary ...Jon Paul seemed to be a better showman

I go with Magnus ver MAgnusson - great name...and seemed to have such a strong mental ability

Mark Henry could have been..

Zavickas is too awesome for words now.

"A man has to know his limitations" - Detective Harold Callahan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BACKBREAKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/05/07 at 3:57pm

Originally posted by Cameron Cameron wrote:

I'm not sure of the history, but why was Kaz not invited back for so many years?

Kaz never even made it close when he was dominating and it ws a battle for 2nd place. Rumour has it that the contest was losing its appeal because of his dominance and they just figured they would leave him out for a few years

ken crum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken crum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/05/07 at 4:06pm
Kaz in my opinon was the strongest , but Jon Pall was the better strongman because he was better at the events (if that makes sense). I agree with trainerterry , I think Zydrunas Savickas is by far the best strongman of todays pro's. 
crum
The Jayster View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Jayster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/05/07 at 4:47pm
i also think that kaz and dougie edmunds weren't getting along very well!
please keep robbin, the Conway Family and Frank Henry
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/05/07 at 4:47pm
Kaz.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BACKBREAKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/05/07 at 5:26pm
Savickas now is the best without argument. He really puts it to Marius at the Arnold. I am curious though with the supplements, surgery and rehab techniques of today how much more of a phenom Kaz could have been. Johnny Perry could have been something special; he had tremendous potential, probably as much a Savickas but I don't think he had the mind over matter abilities of Kaz and Jon Pall. Magnus and Jouko were just professional about everything, they did just enough to win and that kind of made them a little dry. If I had to seperate them I would say say Savickas and Kaz were/ are the strongest, Jon Pall was the best performer and Magnus, Jouko and Marius seem the most consistent.
MJurkoic View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJurkoic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/06/07 at 2:18am

This discussion begins and ends with Bill Kazmaier!

Loki: I have an army. Tony Stark: We have a Hulk.
Hapy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/06/07 at 5:31am
Kaz is the legend - but my favorite is Magnus ver. I also think Magnus
Samuelsson at his peak was absolutely dominating.
Real Men Wear Purple

Tinky Winky Throw Far!

Central Vermont Strength Association
Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/06/07 at 7:35am
Yeah, but who can watch Marius without half-expecting him to blow up?

-Wayne
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/06/07 at 7:46am
KAZ is The KING!!!!!but Joukho is my favorite
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
kiltedrussian66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiltedrussian66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/06/07 at 7:52am

Magnus Ver Magnusson and Kaz...

My third son is named Aleksandr Magnus..

"Never walk away from home ahead of your axe and sword.You can't feel a battle in your bones or foresee a fight."-Viking saying
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/06/07 at 7:53am
Originally posted by MJurkoic MJurkoic wrote:

This discussion begins and ends with Bill Kazmaier!

Exactly

Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/06/07 at 8:03am
I have to go with Louis Cyr, Herman Goerner, or Arthur Saxon since none of these three ever stuck in needle in his ass. Thus endeth the discussion.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
kiltedrussian66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiltedrussian66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/06/07 at 8:16am

I have to agree with Kevin...Paul Anderson

I remember reading a story about one of his workouts which were witnessed and documented...

On both endzones of a pro-size football field would be squat racks with I believe 500lbs...He would do between 5-10 reps and run to the other endzone and repeat this..I think it was 10 sets...

The Russians who were the dominant force back then called him

chudo prirory-"A wonder of nature."

That speaks volumes of the man because the Russians were notorious for not giving Americans compliments.

"Never walk away from home ahead of your axe and sword.You can't feel a battle in your bones or foresee a fight."-Viking saying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BACKBREAKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/06/07 at 1:20pm
I figure you could also throw Vasiliy Alekseyev http://www.chidlovski.net/liftup/l_athleteResult.asp?a_id=5 and Hossein Rezazadeh http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hossein_Rezazadeh I realize this a little different category but these two were/ are as dominant as any strongman has ever been in there sport.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BACKBREAKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/06/07 at 1:39pm
The unfortunate end all to this thing is that as was said in the Highlander and by Jon Pall "there can be only one!!" doesn't hold true because many of these individuals are old, dead or other and in many of these cases it was like comparing apples to oranges in their personal respective strengths. Everyone will have there opinion as to who the strongest was (and opinions and assholes are common to the fact that everyone has one) so until we get that damn machine from the last Rocky, it will not be resolved. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic