Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

LIVING your LIFE to the FULLEST !!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coach Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LIVING your LIFE to the FULLEST !!!
    Posted: 12/26/04 at 5:25am
The " Minister of DEFENSE" - Reggie White (1961-
2004) passed away in his sleep this a.m.

He epitomized the saying of it's not how LONG you
live..it is HOW you live !!!

He affected a lot of people in his shortened life (43-
years) and I'll try to live everyday to the fullest in his
memory.

Have a GREAT Day! - mac~
Have a GREAT Day !
Rob " Coach Mac " Mac Kay
StevePulcinella View Drop Down
Top 10 in the USA - '02

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePulcinella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/04 at 10:49am

I'm not even sure what that means....As my good years wind down for me and i can no longer lift and throw like I would like I can't help but feel miserable most of the time. It's all I really ever did and all I ever enjoyed doing. Instead of living life to the fullest I find myself wishing each day would just end and the next day I just wake up and it starts all over again.

Now what Coach?

Tim Pinkerton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Pinkerton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/04 at 11:59am
Have some kids! 
"Big ain't Strong...Strong is Strong."
Visit our training page at: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Get-U-Fit-Training-Systems/ 119414814828174
Top 10 in the USA - '02

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePulcinella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/04 at 12:28pm
already got 'em. I have full and total custody of two teenage daughters....need I say more?
Crush View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/04 at 8:24pm

Hey Sweats,

I don't know if you were serious or just looking to provoke discussion.  In the event that you were serious, let me just say several things.

1.  99.99% of the people that have ever lived would have killed to be 1/2 as strong as you are (let alone be able to throw like you have).

2.  The Games and Lifting is not who you are, it is an outpouring of what is in you, and I know that that fire is still there.

3.  Who you are (not that I am trying to ruin your tough Philly Guy rep.) is a gracious, competitive, knowledgeable, kind, and caring man.

4.  You have been greatly gifted by God, not just as an athlete, but as a great ambassador, author, communicator, and motivator.  My prayer is for you to continue using these gifts.

5.  You tear phone books very well for a guy from the East.

6.  Your kids need you.

God Bless you my friend, for "we shall reap in due season if we faint not"

...Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man...

Eccl. 12:13
Tim Pinkerton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Pinkerton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/04 at 1:17am
Steve,  you need say no more.
"Big ain't Strong...Strong is Strong."
Visit our training page at: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Get-U-Fit-Training-Systems/ 119414814828174
Top 10 in the USA - '02

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePulcinella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/04 at 1:18am

But to me, living life to the fullest means hitting the gym like a 310lb runaway dump truck, doing massive power-cleans, push-presses and squats, having everyone in the gym fear you. Then on the weekends fly out somewhere, throw far and hang out with your buddies and come back with your pockets full of cash.

So what happens after that's all over....you're still living, but it's not very full? You're hurting every morning and you realize that it lasts all day, skinny geeks in the gym are lifting more than you, you cringe at a guy squatting low because it hurts you just looking at it.

I'm not saying i'm giving up but it sure as heck ain't as fun as it used to be.

Roy Bogue View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Bogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/04 at 1:22am
Steve,  how old are ya nowadays?
Donate lately?
Top 10 in the USA - '02

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePulcinella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/04 at 2:01am
39 but I have been training heavy since i was 12......so it's lot's of miliage.
BillB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/04 at 2:53am
    Hey Steve,I've watched your career for some time and you have inspired me a few times.I grew up on the streets of Newark NJ,and am familiar with Philly.That's a tough town.There is a certain grit that is inbred around that area.It kills me to here a guy like you sound so depressed.I couldn't come close to some of your accomplishments.I hope you snap out of this funk soon.You are human.I'm firm beleiver that if one door shuts another will open.From what I've seen,you still have alot to offer the strength world.
Vae Victus
Top 10 in the USA - '02

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePulcinella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/04 at 4:25am

Don't get me wrong people, I still have my good moments too but for the most part i'm looking at my best years that are now behind me. It just kind of sucks. I have a really hard time enjoying the simple things in life like some people. I just crave more than that.

I'm sure there are a lot more athletes like me out there, I can't be the only one.

Jeff Ingram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Ingram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/04 at 5:17am

You're not.

Lots of folks in the same boat.

M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/04 at 7:11am

Steve- Dick Butkus once said that nothing would ever fill the hole in his spirit left when football was gone. After 22 years of football,I wandered lost thru racquetball,basketball and....god forbid..... I jogged even.......until I found this goofy litle fringe sport. You have to LOOK for something to grab and crush and burn up all that intensity. Arm wresting, grip sports,sumo wrestling - hell who knows. Do what you have done your whole life - turn that blowtorch of desire on something NEW you can excel in . Chin up.

Power House View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power House Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/04 at 8:02am

Someone's looking for sympathy.Pathetic................................

Yes im stronger than you-get over it.
.Dane Bramage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Dane Bramage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/04 at 9:01am
Steve:
The simple fact is your are not alone and what you are feeling is hardly uncommon given what you have recently been through.
I did a google search on +"professional athlete"+"depresssion" and got more hits than you can shake a dead cat at. Here are a couple of the hits which might be usefull:

http://www.grsportscenter.com/sportstalk.html#recognition

http://www.gamesover.org/gonow/tenlies_players.cfm

While the the gamesover.org site is geared to former NFL players, it has a lot of good info and advice.

Hope this helps ,
Mike

For the phoenix to rise from the ashes
One must know the pain
To transform the fire to burning desire.

Mike Melia

"If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat."
Top 10 in the USA - '02

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePulcinella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/04 at 9:51am

Hey, i'm not complaining or asking for sympathy, i'm just pointing out how much it sucks.....it'll happen to all of us. I mean we'll all find something new to pass the time but none of it will capture the feeling of walking around in your prime as strong as an ox, turning a huge caber that nobody else on the field could touch and hear that crowd cheer. (Roy, I'll tell you what that feeling is like sometime)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power House Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/04 at 11:28am

Your right Steve it does suck,im sure.But once you've come to live with it and excepted it-guess what its over,its those that refuse to believe its over and those that believe they can get better that do.To me at 39 you should be built like an ox and just as strong,dont believe its over but believe its just beginning.From knowing your past accomplishments im really doubting what your writing is what your feeling,Maybe at this moment in time its how you feel but tommorrow,a week from now,maybe next month you will feel differently about it.When these feelings do change is the post i wanna hear about,just a year ago you were training for a strongman comp and unfortunetly got hurt(which is a mental killer)but to tell me your that different from just a year ago is unacceptable.So get your ass out there lift and get stronger cause you still can.

Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/04 at 12:06pm
Pearl thought years ago the early 40's you were the strongest.  Many things now point to the 40's as the peak mature power and muscle years.  I think with the better supplements and knowledge the peak is higher.  I have to admitt more stuff hurts, more often and more pain.  But that only thins the field of the masses more.  The desire pushes you through obsticles and your injuries are a prime example.  You just now have to take in more feedback to refine your training and pick your spots.  I used to go in and brutalize everything everyday.  Can't do that and survive now, Have to pick my spots and gradualy ramp up to things.  Your experience, knowledge have to come to the forefront in your training replacing your raw youth of power.  It changes, things change and you have to adapt and change with them.  With the people and  knowledge base you have to tap into, plus the facility you own.  Always remember it is better to be a live dog than a dead lion.  You will train and compete this year, you always have and it won't change, you will train big and heavy this year, you always have and it won't change.  An injury does not cure an illness.
M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/04 at 12:37pm
Amen Myles - well said!!!
Top 10 in the USA - '02

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePulcinella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/04 at 2:03pm

Like Myles said, it's a sickness that many of us have. I have a cousin who is a very well accomplished bodybuilder who just turned 40 and both of us started working out hard when we were only 12 or 13 so he's feeling the same pains. We talk about we keep it going on and on and don't ever feel like stopping even when our bodies know better. We end up laughing because we just don't anything else, it's a sickness in our brains.

I think a lot of my recent injury problem actually stems from the fact that close to 40 years old I am actually still getting stronger in some ways but it seems to be tearing me apart. I'm actually finding ways to back off my gym training because when I really think about it in a lot of ways i'm more than strong enough to throw far so it's more a matter of getting out to the field and getting lot's of reps with the throwing weights.

Another problem I have always had is I only have two speeds....do nothing and kill everyone. I have a hard time backing off with training and listening to my body. Raise your hands....how many of you have this same problem?

Anyway, the original point being, do we change the way we live when a relatively young athlete dies? What does it really mean to live life to the fullest? Does anyone out there really feel like they are doing that?

BillB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/04 at 3:44pm
    Steve, I can relate to the kill everyone or do nothing thing totally.I have been that way all my life.I've lived a life of extremes.Either I am totally gunho,or I'll sit around and just veg out.I've never been able to find a happy medium.For years I went through life as a drunk and addict.Total scumbag toward the end.After that,I worked my ass off to clean my act up.I got started lifting to burn off some of my aggression.I never could deal with people too well,and lifting heavy and hard knocked the crap out of me,so I didn't feel like going around knocking the crap out of stupid people.Less trouble that way.I got addicted to the strength game.Strongman and Highland Games were right up my alley.Why be normal?I didn't want to do cable crossovers when I could pull trucks and throw large weights around.I'm only a few years younger than you Steve but,I'm showing signs of decay.It sucks but,I ain't done yet.I count myself lucky to be able to compete after starting so late.Sometimes you just gotta suit up and show up.I know it sounds like I'm kinda rambling but,I just came out of a bout with these same thoughts.I wound up in counseling because it got so bad.Come to find out my case,I'm bi-polar.I'm not suggesting anything .I'm just saying that I have had to reevaluate my thinking and all my goals very recently.I have every confidence that you will figure this out and come to terms with it.When the going gets tough the tough get going.I don't know if any of my babble makes sense but,it helps me deal with crap.Good luck Steve,it gets better.
Vae Victus
Valenti View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '10, '12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valenti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/04 at 4:02pm

Dude go down and find some local high school that sucks in the throws and make them a power house..When its over for me I am going to have a fu*king blast watching kids throw far. I already am.

And dont worry you can retire and get a girlfriend with really long arm hair...That is the way to retire in style!

Cheer up at least you arent Jason,,,retired,skinny and roller bladding in spandex in Buffalo.

"All you need in this life is a tremendous sex drive and a great ego...brains don't mean sh!t"

Capt. Tony Taracino
Top 10 in the USA - '02

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePulcinella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/04 at 12:26am

Mark, if I could just find a good woman with a Bruce Jenner hairdo and settle down I would be happy. It worked for you.

Valenti may have something there....I could coach throwing to the local high school kids....oh wait, nevermind.....damn that Megan's law!!

Jason Pauli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Pauli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/04 at 5:06am

I'm not wearing spandex.  Just 38" waist pants that are a little loose.

It's pure joy to be able to walk into any store and find pants that fit.

BillB thanks for being so vulnerable.  I think that gets to the heart of what some of us struggle with day in and day out.  It's good to know we're not alone.

Team Pauli - You never walk alone
Roy Bogue View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Bogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/04 at 6:40am

I also have issues.

Dave Barron sux and Steve P Blows

Feel the Love!

Donate lately?
Coach Mac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coach Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/04 at 7:45am
To the Mid Life Crisis Group (      ) having gone
through some "adversity" in my career....mabe (?)
some of these comment's and advice that I
received through the decades may help !

Junior Division- they used to have an under 20
division back in the day and at 17 (1969) I ventured
down to the athletics after the massed bands and
fell in LOVE with the events.

POSTIVES: a turn with a big caber in front of 25,000
fans. NEGATIVES: getting hosed by the judge on a
tie on the wt-4-ht and his clansmen awarded the
overalll because his attempt was closer than yours
truly ....and they say that close only counts in hand
grenades and horse shoes...!

20-29...Marine Corp...1974 Costa Mesa was a
regular "home" games...ventured down to San
Diego...flipped for sleeping on the back seat or the
ground...ended up losing to Keith Tice by a point in
the overall and the GROUND...key comment
(actually a compliment) from Tice" Are you planning
on training full time for these games ? "

Here is the point...married in 1974 (still married 30
years later to the LOVE of my life...best friend and
mother of my children) I could NEVER rationalize
taking 2-3 hours three or four times a week away
from the family on a YEAR round basis..

1976...Motorcycle accident...ankle ligaments ect.   
LOST 10-feet off the shot....recovered.   Two years
later a car accident...lost 6-months of training ect.
and in 1979 ended up 2nd in the Ams at what is
now Pleasanton ( I was a bridesmaid numersous
times to Dick Shelton and Dave McKensie (former
American Record holder in the Oly hammer )

POSTIVES-I had a recreational activity that was part
of my roots. Raising the effort in terms of FOCUS for
the 80's "might" take me to the Amatuer
Championship and a pro career !

Negatives...I don't remember (?) any other than the
two accidents and "pain" of the re-hab...!!!

The 1980's ....(30-40's) shot twice in the line of duty
with a .357 Janruary -1980 ...primed to try and make
the Oly team in the shot...this was both depressing
and brought on a career change. I was benching
450-lbs. reps of 10 with 500 Squat...snatch 275
(cold) and power cleans in the mid 300's.

I remember my first bench work out and the left arm
looked like a sail "whipping" in the breeze. I
assumed I was clinically depressed for a couple of
years...started coaching and turned that passion into
a career.

Asked to do a demo by David Wester at Santa
Rosa( Pleasanton) and came with in 3-feet of the
28-lb. record...it HURT like hell...but motivated me to
try and make a comeback...1987 a victory and turned
pro the next year for about a 6-7 year career.

POSITIVES: achieving a championship AND a career
and a functional family.

Negatives: getting un-invited or NO invites to major
games on the East Coast...a problem that still exists
today !!!

In a nutshell...I'll post one of my favorite poems and
take from it WHAT you WILL !!!

Dylan Thomas - "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good
Night" --

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lighting they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night

p.s. There is ALWAYS someone who has overcome
more adversity and has to deal with more SHI _ , on
a daily basis , than who ever reads this post...my
God ....you could be trying to outswim the Tsunami in
the South Pacific...a BALANCED thrower will throw
FAR...and a person in BALANCE will live a long
fruitful life .

Edited by Coach Mac
Have a GREAT Day !
Rob " Coach Mac " Mac Kay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power House Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/04 at 7:55am

Originally posted by BillB BillB wrote:

I got addicted to the strength game.Strongman and Highland Games were right up my alley.

Are you serious?You like strength so you got into highland games?If you like strength get into powerlifting or strongman,strength has very little to do with the highland games.Hell bodybuilding even takes more strength than highland games do.Why you think people dont admire highland athletes but admire the rest of the sports i mentioned?Highland games means fat guys in kilts(not very impressive)How many of the athletes out on the field at any comp has 50-60 fat out of shape drunks wearing kilts trying to throw and talk about oh man i love this comraderie stuff.Highland games being a strength game is something definetly its not.I say all the out of shape guys that come out to drink and have some comraderie need to stay home cause there the ones that make the games look like a joke.So if your reading this and you fall in the category of never practicing,coming out to drink and your gut sticks out farther than your willy does than stay home or just come and watch,but please dont come out to throw cause one,your not very good at it.Two,no one wants to watch you throw.Three,coming to the games and drinking is just making that dickidoo stick out even farther.

P.S If this post makes you angry than you fall into the category of you shouldnt be throwing.

Todd Bell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Bell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:44am

I just can't belive you wasted time typing it

Todd Bell

jbailey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/04 at 11:33am
Vicken, nice post.  I just thought that I would point out that I'm one of those guys that doesn't train, drinks beer while throwing, have an impressive gut, but on the other hand I've never been beaten by you.  Just wanted to make one point.  Throwing heavy stuff isn't always about strength, it has more to do with balance, power, and athleticism.  Cheers, to the guys that enjoy a good saturday or sunday, hangin with comrades, drinkin some beer, and throwing heavy shit.
BillB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/04 at 12:05pm
    Hey Power House,I have only just started in the Games a year ago.Before that I competed in strongman competitions.I still train with large natural stones.One of my favorites is a Husefell type that weighs slightly over 400#.I don't know you from squat but,I don't think you understand the Games.The reason I enjoy the Games so much is because of the people that come out.There is a whole heritage thing going on and has been for 1,000 years or so.That is the reason for all the different classes.It's been my exprience that most of the wannabes leave at the end of the day and don't come back.At least they are given a chance.Someone gave me a chance and I stuck around.If you start getting all picky about who gets in and who gets left out,I think the sport would suffer.Where else can a new guy cut his teeth?As far as the strength involved,have you seen some of these guys?A 150# man doesn't just stride up to a 20' 130# caber and send it sailng.I ain't seen that 150# guy throw the 56# weight 18 or 19' in the air either.I don't know what your numbers look like or were you have competed but,I don't agree with your attitude toward other throwers.The guys that suck just make the good guys look better.  
Vae Victus
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic