Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Irish Kilt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonathan Barlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Irish Kilt
    Posted: 2/06/07 at 7:58am

Anyone know where I can find a "Murphy" family kilt? Otherwise I suppose I could buy the fabric and make my own... has anyone done that?

Thanks!

MJurkoic View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJurkoic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/06/07 at 8:04am
Loki: I have an army. Tony Stark: We have a Hulk.
Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/06/07 at 9:02am

I would suggest wearing a "Dropkick Murphy's" t-shirt with a Murphy plaid.  You'll be looking like one bad mo fo.

McBain1975 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McBain1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/06/07 at 9:12am
Irish kilts are made by county, not family. It is very hard to find one in your family name. This is because the kilt and tartan is traditionally a Scottish garb, not Irish (although the tartans we wear today were created in large part by an Englishman who owned a mill in Edinburgh in the early 1800s ... the traditional Scottish tartan patterns from long ago were not designed to be by family but by dyes and plants located in the area of the maker and based upon the fashion tastes of the buyer). Irish did not wear kilts. Northern Protestant Irish, however, did (they were generally from Scotland). The making of Irish kilts did not start in large part until the 1900s, due to the popularity of the Scottish kilt and the desire (jealousy) by the Irish to be as cool as their cousins.

Edited by McBain1975
N�l m� ag duine le daoine.
Neil B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/06/07 at 9:48am
I have a kilt on order from www.scottishtartans.org and they have an Irish kilt section in the gift shop area of their website.

If you you want to try to make a kilt check out www.xmarksthescot.com They have a DIY section where guys talk about making kilts. You might be able to pick up some tips.
houseman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote houseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/06/07 at 12:36pm

Originally posted by McBain1975 McBain1975 wrote:

Irish kilts are made by county, not family. It is very hard to find one in your family name. This is because the kilt and tartan is traditionally a Scottish garb, not Irish (although the tartans we wear today were created in large part by an Englishman who owned a mill in Edinburgh in the early 1800s ... the traditional Scottish tartan patterns from long ago were not designed to be by family but by dyes and plants located in the area of the maker and based upon the fashion tastes of the buyer). Irish did not wear kilts. Northern Protestant Irish, however, did (they were generally from Scotland). The making of Irish kilts did not start in large part until the 1900s, due to the popularity of the Scottish kilt and the desire (jealousy) by the Irish to be as cool as their cousins.

Interesting.... thanks for the history lesson!!

AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/06/07 at 12:39pm
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
RedFergy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedFergy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/06/07 at 3:50pm

Irish kilts are made by county, not family. It is very hard to find one in
your family name. This is because the kilt and tartan is traditionally a
Scottish garb, not Irish (although the tartans we wear today were created
in large part by an Englishman who owned a mill in Edinburgh in the early
1800s ... the traditional Scottish tartan patterns from long ago were not
designed to be by family but by dyes and plants located in the area of the
maker and based upon the fashion tastes of the buyer). Irish did not wear
kilts. Northern Protestant Irish, however, did (they were generally from
Scotland). The making of Irish kilts did not start in large part until the
1900s, due to the popularity of the Scottish kilt and the desire (jealousy)
by the Irish to be as cool as their cousins.

As much as I hate to say it, we still have to give the Irish a little respect.
Since we have the name Scotland that unfortunately translates to land of
The Irish.
Jonathan Barlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonathan Barlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/07/07 at 5:53am

That is interesting history. I'd actually be interested to learn more.

However, I have seen "Murphy" tartans online, but only fabric, not in kilt form. I'm also going to have a Barlow coat of arms sewn on, so I'll be very decidedly "unscottish".

McBain1975 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McBain1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/07/07 at 2:31pm
You are right on the Scottish name. The Scots came over from Ireland and started duking it out with the Picts in the southwestern portion of the country, who were also getting some beef from the vikings in the northeastern. Eventually the two were too much for the Picts.
N�l m� ag duine le daoine.
bogam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/18 at 2:50am
that's a bitter one but tartan kilt was best
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic