FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Andy Crowley take 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 30>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/03/20 at 7:22am
when you say "Begin deload"

I picture you as a 90's computer trying to "begin de-frag"
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
Andy Crowley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/03/20 at 11:12am
I assure you, I am fully fragged.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/03/20 at 7:54pm
3/3 continue defraggle rock

Hang cleans
135x5, 185x3, 225x2, 275x3x2

Beltless deads
365x4, 415x2x2

Slow eccentric pullups (don't know the exact tempo, but it was longer than I wanted it to be)
3x5
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/03/20 at 8:38pm
Hahaha I like where this is going
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/05/20 at 8:38pm
3/5 more of the same

Hit the gym about an hour after getting off the water. It was spitting rain and snow and blowing 15-20mph, but the walleyes were biting. Anyway, I was very stiff and still shivering when I got to the gym. Not ideal, but at least it's defrag week.

Paused bench
4x2 @245

Paused high incline DB bench (one notch bellow vertical)
3x5 @70s

Everything felt surprisingly fine.

My hip/groin is still bugging me though. Can't decide if I'm going to do some light squatting tomorrow or not. I'll play it by ear.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/07/20 at 2:05pm
3/7 defrag squats

SSB parallel box squats
Worked up to 4x2 @365(don't know what the bar weighs. Calling it 45)
These were awkward. Definitely more than I expected, but they did help mitigate my hip pain

Beltless front squats
Worked up to 3x2@275. Slight hip pain.

Foam roll

Drove past my throwing field on the way home, and it looked good, so I decided to take some throws.

Heavy hammer -74,77, 83, 81
Really happy with this. Felt smooth and fast. I wasn't hitting over 80 until mid season last year.

Heavy weight (42lbs)- 36, 38, 36, 38, 40, 38, 37
The distances are whatever, but my technique wasn't where I wanted it to be. It got better when I remembered a low first cast, don't outrun the weight, and lift with the legs at the end. Never completely put a throw together, but hitting 40 first practice with willy nilly technique is encouraging. Most importantly, the throws were pain free.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/08/20 at 4:59pm
Outstanding. 

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/09/20 at 4:45am
Originally posted by TomLawrence TomLawrence wrote:

Outstanding. 

Tom

Thank you, sir!

3/8 night puds and other tom foolery

Heavy pud x30. Side slingies, fronts, wob pulls

Lots of sheaf. Still dialing things in but pretty consistently good height.

150lb sand bag to shoulder, presses, and lots of suplexes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/09/20 at 7:51pm
3/9 OHP

3,3,3+
140, 160, 175x4
That was the easiest 4 I've had at 175. I screwed up the 5th rep...3 times. Shook it out for 15 seconds then hit another rep. That was frustrating, but still the best it's felt in a long time. Thanks to a well timed defrag.

Dips
4x8 @+60,80,80,65 randomly paused like 5 if the 8 reps on the last set. Kinda forgot what I was doing.

Lateral raises
3x13@30s

Face pulls
4x12

If the weather holds I'm hoping to cut the lifting down to 3 days and throw 2 or 3 days pretty soon. Maybe a OHP/Deads, bench/squat, dynamic stuff kinda split. Who knows. We'll probably get another foot of snow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/10/20 at 7:08pm
3/10 deads and things

225x5, 315x5, 365x3, 405x2, 455x4x2
Meh

Hang cleans
225x3, 245x2, 295x1 (soooooo easy), 315x4 high pulls. I'll just pretend I was doing high pulls on purpose. Pulls were great, I was just being a pussy when it came to the catch. Farts, butts, farts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/20 at 7:19pm
Forgot to log 3/12 bench

3,3,3+
195,225,250x6 mesh

225x9,8
Missed the 9th rep and had to dump it on the low J-hooks. Puckered my b-hole a bit, so I called it good there. Probably try again next week.

DB incline
85s x8,6,8
Didn't rest enough after the first set. Won't up the weight next week.

I've kind of phoned it in this week. My hip is still bugging me and I've been fishing a lot which has lead to missing meals and being generally tired. I went into this workout at 191lbs. That's lower than ideal. I've started rectifying that situation.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/15/20 at 6:32pm
3/15 OHP
Family lifting session at Luke's
5,3,1+
145,165,185x4 woot woot!
195x1 just because I wanted to say I can strict press my bodyweight
115x3x10

Messing with sandbags
Tweaked my back. Farts

Later time throws

Light hammer
Probably 6 to 8 throws all between 103 and 107. Except the one where I fell down.

Heavyweight (42)
5ish throws between 38 and 41

Lightweight
6 throws then lost a callus. Between 58 and 63. That's good for me.

Braemar
Lots of throws between 30 and 32. Not bad with that stone.

Really happy with how throws are going thus far.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/17/20 at 8:14pm
3/17 St. Patrick's day throws

Tried to start with heavy hammer winds to warm up. Felt like my guts were tearing apart. I'm not conditioned enough to throw hammers twice in 3 days. Noted.

Open stone
4 Stands best of 37'
6 Glide best of 40' not great. Took me a while to find my handle on the stone again. Hit one decent throw and called it good.

Heavyweight
5 throws best of 39' My first 4 throws were crap. I'm really pleased I was able to diagnose and fix the problem though. I can't always do that. Today I did. Yay me.

Wob pulls
A crap ton. Mostly decent as far as not leaving them out front. I'm still screwing around with different cues and timing, but I think I'm getting closer to a consistent technique.

With the gyms closed here in Wisconsin, my plan is to throw a bunch, get really good, have all the games get canceled due to the stupid virus, get frustrated, then quit highland games all together. Hopefully, I can get a day or two of lifting in at Luke and Katie's each week until this crap blows over.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/18/20 at 5:34am
You're gonna be so good when you decide to quit. 

This plan will pay off in spades for the Wisconsin games! 
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/18/20 at 9:05pm
I want people to look back at this log and think, "Whatever happened to that guy? He could have been a mediocre B thrower."

3/18 bench at Luke and Katie's

5,3,1+
205, 235, 267(stupid kilo plates)x4. I'm happy with that. I only got 260x4 three weeks ago.

Volume
9,9,8 @225. Faaaaaaaarts. So close. First set felt bad. Second set felt great. Third set felt good right up until I failed the last rep. Oh well, guess I'll try it again in a couple weeks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/20/20 at 3:12pm
3/20 squat

First time real squatting since messing up my hip. it was a poop show.
3,3,3+
335,385,425x3
First rep was kind of uncomfortable. My brain said don't hit the hole quite so hard. My body translated that into pausing for a good two seconds at the bottom. Third rep was probably the best. I called it there because obviously my head was not right.

Front squat
4x8@275,280.5(kilo plates),225,225
These felt good

RDL
8@235 I think

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/21/20 at 6:13pm
3/21 throws

Heavyweight
5 one turns best of 34' I'm bad at these
5 fulls best of 40. Not great at these either

Open stone
6 stands best of 37'. Glides weren't happening today. Legs said no.

Wob pulls
10 throws without leaving any out front. That's a win. They felt pretty high too. I'd say at least a million feeters.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/23/20 at 8:47pm
3/23 OHP and messin' around

5,5,5+
135, 162.5, 170x5
These did not feel awesome today. It probably didn't help that I decided to hit a 295 bench before my last set. I'm happy with that though. Wierd stuff for the win!

Didn't do much else besides some hack. I'm better while holding a piece of mac n cheese pizza apparently. Not sure what the future holds with shelter-in-place going into affect tomorrow. Pretty sure I can still go throw and whatnot. Either way, I'm gunna.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/24/20 at 6:04am
Throwing is the definition of social distancing. 

I say you risk it. Worst case scenario, you end up in jail with Luke as your CO! Sounds pretty chill...until the tasering 
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/24/20 at 10:11am
They're not even arresting people in La Crosse anymore unless it's a violent crime. It's a meth-head holiday. I did check to see if I can still fish, which I can. I assume throwing will be hunky dory. No one ever comes near me when I'm throwing at the park. Except puppies. Puppies love throwing.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/24/20 at 11:33am
I think that's just science, about the puppies and throwing

I'd keep a sharp eye out for the rogue meth heads!

Rumor has it, Luke is 431-0 vs meth heads. Maybe he'll help you?
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/27/20 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by TheJeff696 TheJeff696 wrote:

I think that's just science, about the puppies and throwing

I'd keep a sharp eye out for the rogue meth heads!

Rumor has it, Luke is 431-0 vs meth heads. Maybe he'll help you?

'Twouldn't be proper to ask Luke to bring his work home with him.

3/27

My oldest brother is moving, so I have a temporary garage gym. It's just a rack, two bars, and a crap ton of weight for now, but we'll be bringing up a bench or two and other gym things tomorrow. I christened the rack today with some terrible feeling front squats.

225x6, 245x6, 275x6, 295x6, 305x5, 255x6paused. 305 was supposed to be for 6 but it wasn't. My hip was buggering me big time. I must have set up too wide. I haven't lifted without a mirror in a long time and I think I've relied too much on it to know where my body is and how I'm set up. That will be an adjustment, but probably an overall positive.

RDLs
3x8@245

Also 3/27 throws

Heavy hammer-6 throws. Best of 82' which was fine, but most of the other ones were low to mid 70s with too much ground hitting. That was frustrating, so I said F it.

Heavyweight-10 best of 41.5. This went well. Most throws were between 39 and 41. Even my wierd ones went 38, so that's good for me.

6 WOB pulls. I think I'm starting to suck less at this, but there is really no way of knowing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/27/20 at 7:32pm
Also, I'm under 190lbs and it's gross and I hate it.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/28/20 at 11:37am
GROSS!!
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/29/20 at 8:17pm
3/29 bench
5,5,5+
185,210,240x8
First bench workout in the garage gym was successful. I was worried about how things would go outside my natural habitat of the Y, but so far so good.

Volume work
4x5@230 paused

Short and sweet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/30/20 at 8:05pm
3/30 deads

4x2@460
Felt fine

Fat bar pullups
4x5

Single arm landmine rows
4x10@85 on the bar

Just kind of screwing around trying to figure out what things I can do with what I have available to me. It's a work in progress. Q

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/31/20 at 8:07pm
3/31 trowin'

Open stone
4 fronts best of 34'
4 stands best of 38'
6 glides best of 39'10". Poop. I was popping everything straight up in the air. No out. Farts, butt, farts.

Crap ton of wob pulls.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/01/20 at 7:35am
I know that feeling. Guarantee you were dropping your elbow. Keep that elbow high and tight!!
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/01/20 at 8:30pm
Don't act like you know me, Jeff! But yeah, I was definitely doing that. Thanks for the reminder because I definitely couldn't feel it in the moment. And Luke is no help.

4/1 cardio. Haha, April fools! It's OHP day, silly.

3,3,3+
140, 160, 180x3, 180x4. First set at 180 went poorly. I pushed my second rep way out in front of me and had to fight it a bit. That tired me out real fast. I took a minute and shook it out then hit another set of 4. Felt much better.

10 minute break for supper. Chicken and rice hotdish. Some would call it a casserole. They would be wrong.

165x4x3 for a little extra volume at medium weight. Really tried to focus on technique and tightness. They felt great.

Lateral raises
3x20 w/15lb plate. They made my fings tired, but I like the feel of using the plates.

Straight bar Skull crushers
3x10@75lbs pause at the bottom.

Getting into the swing of the garage lifting. Got a good sweat and pump going tonight. I had like three shoulder veins.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/03/20 at 9:03pm
4/30 squat

SSB parralel box squat
5,3,1+
350, 400, 450x1
I just went with my normal squat numbers for this. That was a mistake. I'm not used to this bar or box squat. It's a lot differenter than I expected.

Front squat
155x5, 245x3, 295x2. Holy crqp did these feel bad. My hip kind of bugged me, but worse than that, it bugged my brain. I was worried about it and it made me tentative.

I screwed around with some high bar squats and they felt a little better. Then I tried a narrower stance high bar to a box and that may have to be the hot ticket. I lose a lot of power when I'm not able to hit the stretch reflex out of the hole, but I don't want to widen my stance for box squat because I don't feel like that has a lot of carryover for me and it has the potential to aggravate my hip. This hip thing has been a real bummer. Thanks carona virus.

Stiff leg deads
3x8@245

Poopy day all around. I had a wierd allergic reaction to something I ate today. Made my eyes swell, my face hot, my hands and feet itchy, and my esophagus swell. This happens from time to time, but I can't figure out the trigger. I took some benadryl and fell asleep for a few hours. I should have known lifting wouldn't go well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 30>
  Share Topic