Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Andy Crowley take 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 30>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/29/19 at 9:55pm
7/29 throws

Braemar best of 31'9
Open best of 41'2"
Heavy hammer vest of 74
Light hammer best of 96
I think in figured some things out in wob. Apparently not only are you allowed to use your legs, but it's actually helpful to do so.   Who knew.

I haven't thrown in a while, so it felt good to sling some stuff even though nothing went particularly far. Good stuff.
Andy Crowley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/30/19 at 8:54pm
7/31 OHP

bar x10, 95x10, 115x8, 135x5, 145x4x4, 145x6
I was definitely feeling the fatigue from throwing yesterday. Didn't help I kept breathing at wierd times and misgrooving and letting the bar drift out front.

Dips
Me x10, +70x6, +90×4×4, +90×6

Alternating front/side raise
3x12 each way @20s

Leany single arm side laterals
2x10 per arm

Incline DB tricep extenders
25s x12, 30s x2x10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/31/19 at 10:08pm
7/31 deadlift
225x10, 315x5,365x3, 395x4x4 add belt 395x10

2.5" deficit
395x3,410x2x3

Snatch grip barbell shrugs
275x4x10
I really like these. They'll probably become a staple.

Seat cable rows
4x8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/01/19 at 5:29pm
8/1 OHP day2

Bar x a a bunch, 95x10, 115x8, 135x5, 155x3, 165x3, 175x2x1, 135x2x8

Pin press at eye level
155x2x3, 165x3x3

Just a quick one. Felt like crap going into it. Feel much better after. That was pretty much the goal for today.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/01/19 at 5:53pm
Whens your next games? 

You may have written it out recently but I am just far, far too lazy to look
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/01/19 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by TheJeff696 TheJeff696 wrote:

Whens your next games? 

You may have written it out recently but I am just far, far too lazy to look

August 10th. Home games in La Crosse. Woot. The plan is to finish put tomorrow with squat then do speed work and throwing Monday-Wednesday before shutting it down to rest up. I think that is what worked for me last games. I'm also too lazy to look.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/01/19 at 7:35pm
Haha, sounds fun! I imagine I'll be seeing you at Wisconsin games Labor day weekend? 
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/01/19 at 7:46pm
Sadly, no. I'll be in Green Bay for some camping and fishing fun that weekend.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/02/19 at 4:49pm
8/2 squat
This went very very poorly. From warmups I could tell my back was fatigued and by the time I hit my working set, my erectors felt like they were going to shoot out my back. The plan was 340x4x4 then 340x4+ but It went a little something like this:
Bar x 20, 135x10, 225x10, 315x5, 365x1, 340x4 felt like absolute shit, 340x1 that's enough of that. Plenty of strength there but I didn't feel like exacerbating the hurty back a week out fron competition. Drop down to 225x3x10 high bar slow eccentric focusing on pushing the knees out and staying completely upright. These felt good and easy, and I got a nice quad pump, so all was not lost.

RDLs
225x3x10 nice and light and stretchy. That is all.

Time to rest and eat a bunch.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/05/19 at 9:23pm
8/5 Speedy OHP

Bar x20, 95x12, 115x8, 135x3, 155x3, 165x3,3,2, 135x3,3,5

That was that. In and out in half an hour. Feeling snappy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/06/19 at 8:56pm
8/6 Speed deads

135x10, 225x10, 315x5, 365x3, 405x2,425x2x2

2.5" deficit
405x2x2, 315x3x3

Bent over DB rows
100sx3,3,5,5,5

Everything felt more sluggish than I wanted, so I figured I'd go throw with Katie to get the snap back.

14lbs stone. Stands x3 best of 42
Glide x5 best of 47

42 wfd x3 best of 41'11"

Sheaf x lots. Monkey arms+ head down = big ups and no wierd hooky crap.

Wob pulls x some. Still leaving too many out front, but my good ones seem to be really good ones.

Glad Katie prodded me into throwing, even though it meant having to stop watching Detective Pikachu.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/11/19 at 7:55pm
8/10 La Crosse Irishfest Highland Games
This is our hometown games put on by Jason and Jane Clevenger. They do an amazing job every time and always make it enjoyable for the athletes and spectators. I threw okay. I ended up taking second to Luke, so that's coo.

Heavy hammer-70' blah. Broke my left blade during warm-ups. Ended up using Katie's left boot. It was very tight and her blades are slightly shorter, but it worked fine. The ground was really dry and hard and I was nervous about trying to lean into my blades. Mostly just me being a headcase.

Light hammer 98' kinda the same deal as heavy but not quite as bad.

Braemar- 29' high. This was disappointing. threw this stone 31a couple weeks ago, but couldn't seem to find the handle/tuck again.

Open- 39'8" I think. Again disappointed. Threw 42 last time. Oh well.

42lb Heavyweight- 39'11" that was fine

Lightweight- 61' trending in the right direction. Probably the highlight of the day

Caber- got a good pull on a pretty big caber but no turn. Felt like I could turn it given another chance, but it broke.

Wob-14' super disappointing. It started raining pretty hard during this but stopped before my shots away 15. I was just being a baby and doing dumb stuff. 15 should be automatic

Looking back, It was a day of ups and downs, but closer to the consistency I'm hoping for. I only fouled two throws, a heavy hammer and a heavy weight, both because I lost the implement early. That's pretty good for me. It didn't used to be uncommon for me to scratch 2,3, or even 4 throws between the two weights. As far as that goes, I'm pleased. I would have liked to perform better given that it was a home games, but it is what it is. It was a great time throwing and hanging out with everyone after, and the corned beef tacos were freaking amazing. 10/10 would recommend.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/12/19 at 8:18pm
8/12 back in the gym for some OHP

Barx20, 95x10, 115x8, 135x5, 155x3, 175x1, 185x1, 160x5, 160x3x3

Z press off pins at chin level
Bar x10, 95x2x5, 105x5, 115x2x5

These were difficult. They made my hips and hammies cramp pretty good. I need to work on the flexibility of my grundle region apparently. That being said, I think they'll be beneficial. There's no way for me to cheat them without falling over. Good stuff.

Dips were kinda hurty on my left shoulder, so I stuck to bodyweight
4x15. Shoulder felt better after doing these.

Not sure what the next thingie I did is called. I laid face down on a 45ish degree incline and did dumbell Y raises 2x15@15s

Lean away db lateral raises
3x15 per arm @ 15s.

Did cardio when I got home by chasing a woodchuck out of my neighbor's yard with a broom. Had him on the run and the little turd squared up on me. They may chuck wood, but he couldn't chuck broom.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/13/19 at 9:43pm
8/13 deads

135x10, 225x10, 315x8, 365x5, 405x5, 445x7, 405x5
Deads haven't felt good lately. I seem to have lost my snap off the floor. That being said the program for today was 445x5+ and I got 7, so I guess that's a win. There was more there, but I was being cautious since my upper and mid back were feeling wonky coming into the day. The last 405x5 was just for a wee bit of extra volume.

Snatch grip shrugs
295x4x10. Still liking these a lot.

Landmine rows with neutral grip thingie from the cable machine
3x10@160. I haven't done these before, but I like them. The only way I can do rows without flaring up my tendonitis is with a neutral grip. I'm bored with dumbell rows, so these will probably stick around for a while.

Took the dog for a nice long walk afterwards. There were two rabbits sitting right in front of him on the boulevard, and he stopped to smell a flower. Such a disappointing dog.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/19 at 1:45pm
8/15 OHP

Pin press at nose level
155x4x5, 155x8

Seated shoulder press pause at the bottom
60s x3x10

Then the wheels fell off. Tried to do dips, stabby pain in left shoulder. Tried to do lateral raises, stabby pain in left shoulder. This is getting annoying.

Dumbell skull crushers
30s x2x10 flat, 30sx1x10 inclined

Tricep cable pushdowns
2x10
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/19 at 3:36pm
My dog does the same shit. There could be a squirrel orgy happening in front of him, and he'd rather smell a rusty mailbox post with week old dog urine on it. 

What a let down. 
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/19 at 10:39pm
Right? My dog is a lab/pit mix. I thought maybe there'd be a chance he could retrieve a duck. Nope. Terrified of water along with certain hats, bikes, long grass, and doors that aren't all the way open. Luckily he's adorable.

Anywho, evening throws:
Heavy hammer:73,75,75
Light hammer:100, 100, 99, 98
Hammers felt okay. Didn't have a lot of confidence in my left boot I cobbled back together, but all things considered, thumbs up.

Heavyweight:
3 really bad throws. Wasn't pushing the weight around enough out of the back. I knew that was the case, but just didn't have the beans to do it. I figured I'd just shut it down rather than risk ingraining bad habits.

Lightweight: 57,59,57 then my hand said that was enough.

I felt pretty stiff and sore coming into this session, so I'm okay with how it went.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/19 at 6:13pm
8/16 squat

Bar x20,135x10,225x10,315x5,365x3,add belt, 405x2,425x1, 370x8

The prescribed work today was 370x5+ but I decided I wanted more volume since next week is another competition prep week and this is the best squat has felt in a while, so I decided to do the workout I had to pull off of two weeks ago which was 340x4x4. Felt good.

Stiff leg deads
225x4x8
Normally I do RDLs but wanted to switch it up.

That was that. Hopefully I'll get to throw this weekend then next week will be my normal comp prep of 2 days of speed lifting and one day of throwing before Throwing for the Cure on Saturday.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/18/19 at 10:44pm
8/18 throws
Very, very sore legs. I spent the weekend eating a bunch, sitting in the sun watching softball and swimming. A good time, but not the best scenario for great throws. Got some reps in anyway.

Braemar: best of 31
16lb stone stands: best of 37
Heavy hammer: best of 74
Light hammer: best of 98
56: best of 26

Luke gave me a good reminder to get the hammer out away from me and drag it across on the entry to the first wind. Hopefully, I'll remember that on Saturday.
BrainSmasher View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/19 at 12:02am
Don't forget the spooooky night time sheaf session that for some reason almost made you poop and throw up...
Luke Crowley
Everything. All the time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/19 at 1:00pm
Yes, that happened as well. She was going pretty well until I got all cold sweaty and tummy turny. It was nothing a good poop and a glass of salt water couldn't cure. I think the long days in the sun this weekend got my electrolytes all out of whack. Being lactose intolerant and eating a big bowl of ice cream followed by sheafing probably didn't help either.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/19 at 2:50pm
Spooky night sheaf eh? 

You Crowleys and your desire to do stuff at night
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/19 at 2:58pm
We're creatures of the night.

8/19. Stop feeling like crap session

OHP
Bar x20, 95x10, 115z8, 135x5 155x3, 135x3x3
Just trying to move fast

20 minute foam rolling session. Done.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/21/19 at 9:33pm
8/21
1.5" deficit deads
135x10, 225x8, 315x5, 365x3x3

Front squats
Bar x10, 135x5,225x3, 275x4x1, 225x5 paused reps

Speedy fast reps, short rest. In and out in 40 minutes. Hopefully throw tomorrow then rest for the games Saturday. I'm jacked.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/19 at 11:39pm
Throwing for the Cure highland games. Awesome games all around. The waether was perfect. The Clevengers put on another amazing games. The work Jane and Jason put into making these games run smoothly is inspiring. You'd be hard pressed to find a family more dedicated to the games than them, not to mention their work with the ACS and all the money they bring in for a very worthy cause. As for the throws, they were up and down.

WOB: utter poop. Left two pretty high throws barelt out front at 14. I knew how to correct it but didn't feel like my body would do it. Tried putting a bandaid on it by taking a half step back. Made the correction I didn't think I could make and smashed the bar on the way up. Stupid me. Should have trusted my technique. 13' embarrasing.

Sheaf: 28' tied my PR so that's cool. Had the height but not the arc at 29.

Braemar:29'11" didn't feel bad, I just didn't have the pop.

Open stone: 40' that's fine

Heavyweight: 35' poop. Absolute poop. Fouled my first. Walked through my second for the mark. Gave it some beans on my third and fouled again on a better but still not great throw. Low point was off, stuck in my hand, pulled me out the front. Fiddlesticks.

Lightweight: 59' whatevs.

Heavy hammer: 76' I know there was more there, but I missed the finish. Compared to how I've been throwing though, I'll take it.

Light hammer: 105'10" highlight of the day. Hit 101 on my second, so I felt good to give it all the beans on my third and it actually worked for once.

Caber: long stick with a ridiculous bow to it. I could never tell where the crap it was at as far as it leaving my shoulder. Got one good pull on it, but it didn't want to go over. Probably about 89 degrees. Not the best end to the day, but if I just focus on light hammer and forget everything else, I feel pretty good.

I think that ends the season for me barring something unforeseen happening. I'm still going to try to throw at least once a week until the weather turns to crap. This was my best season in a long, long time, but still much room for improvement obviously.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/19 at 10:01am
Great work dude. And all thanks to not benching too! 

Now, can we convince Luke to stop benching? 

Hmmm...
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/19 at 7:42pm
I made the suggestion to him. He'll wait a year or two then stop benching and act like it was a revolutionary idea he came up with all on his own. That's how he do.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/26/19 at 10:46am
Typical Luke! 

I'll be sure to point out this thread to him to keep him in his place
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/26/19 at 9:01pm
OHP

140x6x3,1x8

Z Press
4x5@115
These have definitely exposed me when it comes to my terrible shoulder mobility. It's damn near impossible for me to get my head through on these. Good core work though.

Landmine press
4x8 per arm @95

Single arm leanie lateral raises
4x10 per arm w/ 30 seconds rest between sets

Chest supported incline Y raises
3x10@12.5s

Single arm machine flies/ pushup superset
4x10 each arm/4x10

Overhead cable extensions/facepull superset
4x12 each

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/19 at 9:44pm
8/27 throws

56lb heavyweight- poop. Had one good throw while warming up. Everything in the trig was poop. Very leanie. Not good at all

28- had a couple okay throws. Luke pointed out that I'm not acting on the weight early enough going into my first turn. Long, low sweep out of the back and whathaveyou. I was able to do it once, but the speed surprised me and I wasn't able to finish well. I think there's something to that though. I started doing wierd stuff after that though.

14lb stone- overall pretty bad. I felt like I was hitting okay positions in parts, but I had no pop.

My weights and wob are definitely my weakest point at least as far as consistency goes. I'm going to try to do what I did that helped my hammers get better: throw them every practice at least a couple times, especially lightweight, which I hate because it hurts my hand. I may have to get used to throwing with a strap. It's just such a frustrating event for me. It's light and I'm not that incredibly weak, so I know my problem is at least mostly technical. I do not enjoy the intricacies of the event. Seemingly minuscule changes make a huge difference. Sigh. Today was just an overall not great day. Next practice will be better. Rant over.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 30>
  Share Topic