Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Throwing Only
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

fork handle length

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tank Andrade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fork handle length
    Posted: 5/20/18 at 9:22am
Hi guys just curious about handle length on pitchforks. i dont see a requirement in the rules, but is there a generally accepted length most people use ?
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/21/18 at 10:28am
There isn't a standard.  Think shovel or hoe handle though and you are in the right area.  Back in the old day's people would try to shovel the bag over rather than throw it, but we're way past that now.

Rule of thumb -- something you can grip easily, not so short that you can't get good drive with your back hand, and not so long that you hit the ground with the butt end of it when you dip and pull.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/21/18 at 10:38am
One rulebook mentions handle being nominal 5 feet long or less.  The other three rulebooks I have on hand make no mention of handle length.  All say fork must have at least 2 tines.
Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/21/18 at 12:22pm
Thanks Dr. Teresa.  I knew I'd seen a max length somewhere, but all I could remember was 'why' (shoveling) and that there wasn't a standard per se.  Never was a problem for a short athlete like me.  Thumbs Up

Aim high. Stay hungry.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic