Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Training and expenses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asooneyeonig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Training and expenses
    Posted: 10/12/16 at 11:52am
Is it just me or is the highland games full of people that will pay hundreds for equipment, hundreds for travel to compete, hundreds for several pairs of shoes, but $50 for training with a Pro with tens of thousands of hours of practice themselves is crossing the line. Confused

It reminds of the days i used to cycle a lot. people would spend a thousand dollars on a new super light bike, hundreds more to strip down the weight even more, but be 50lbs overweight and wonder why they are not any faster. LOL
AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/16 at 12:15pm
I'm totally in. Went last year in KC. Definitely worth it. Will try to make as many sessions as I reasonably can next year.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/16 at 9:30am
Honestly, I'm of two minds for this. If you are shiney new at this, going to one of these camps and getting some instruction from a guy who knows what he's doing is probably a good idea.

If you are at a certain level already, however, I personally feel trying to get "group" training is more than likely a waste of time. You'd be better off either paying said pro for some one on one time or spending money and time on filming yourself and get used to looking at what you're doing and getting feedback from others.

Group training (more than 3) is counterproductive, I've found. Not enough throws, too much talking and some guys with too much ego and just "throw harder" mentalities.

Look at every big pro out there: solitary trainers or they have 1 partner they trust.

Meanwhile, I know lots of AmBs that train in packs.
AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/16 at 7:35pm
Thanks Sean. I am relatively new, so getting some instruction is helpful and that probably forms my viewpoint some.

I agree with you on the standard day to day practice set up... Too many people just turns into a social session. I train by myself 95% of the time. Getting together with others every now and then tends to be a lot of fun and helpful as well.
hoss1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoss1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/16 at 3:43pm
by yourself=more reps

with others=good reminders and inspiration

i like to take slow mo vids of myself and compare it to the greats on youtube.  i look for certain positions and try to emulate. 
Dirk W. Myers
MrPeanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/17 at 9:48am
All relative I guess depending on what you love to do.

I bought hammers, a fork, have a kettle bells as substitute for WFD and stones. Two 2 x 4 screwed and glued together for caber practice.

I actually do practice and lift within the boundaries of my 58 year old broken body.

I'd love to get to a clinic at some point.

And yes, I am what most people would consider a "hack".

I just have fun doing the actual games once a year.   
Even a broken old man can learn to throw a hammer. I ain't dead yet!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic