FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Catching the Hammer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwalla16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Catching the Hammer
    Posted: 3/17/16 at 10:03am
I'm having trouble with my catch, namely when to catch it, and what that should feel like. It feels like I'm trying to muscle it down with my arms instead of driving it by dropping the hips, and it feels like there's some slack behind me, like there's a little jerk when I try to catch it. I don't quite get the timing for when to catch it behind me. Any tips?
hoss1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoss1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/07/16 at 2:31pm
i have the same problem, trial and error i guess, till you find your groove.
Dirk W. Myers
JoelT39 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoelT39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/07/16 at 9:05pm
Watch video of soviet hammer throwers
hoss1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoss1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/16 at 10:53am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc0OfBNKEjI

Dirk W. Myers
jwalla16 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwalla16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/16 at 11:39am
Good video!

I wrote this in the comments section of the video. What are your thoughts on it?

"I want to improve significantly on hammer this season. My games PR is a paltry 76'1." a friend and I were debating orbits. He was arguing to keep the wrists locked throughout the throw to get a longer orbit, while I was arguing for rolling the wrists and getting back to catch quicker. Upon looking at your videos and others, it looks to me like you roll your wrists on your first two winds to catch quicker and get around your head, while on your third wind you extend your hips, drop the head back, and lock your wrists to extend the final orbit. Does that sound right?"
hoss1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoss1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/16 at 12:33pm
i think of it like a golf club and roll at the top and bottom (back and front) of the orbit.
Dirk W. Myers
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/12/16 at 5:24pm
I would refer you to another thread here where the very topic has been discussed.
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
Deakion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deakion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/03/18 at 11:34pm
When the hammer is going behind you, push it out toward the zone. That will solve it, look down your nose, get your melon out of the way, your arms should be out straight over your head. 
Jonathan Irvin

And they shall know no fear.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic