Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Throwing Only
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Ambidextrous throwing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Steroid-Free since 1985.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norkasd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ambidextrous throwing
    Posted: 10/25/15 at 9:18am
Has anyone ever tried to learn to throw with both hands?  Not at once of course.  Many years ago I knew this track and field athlete that threw the shot left handed, discus right handed and the javelin with either hand.  Could this be something to try in order to work around old injuries?
LJRed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/15 at 12:25pm
Al Feuerbach was left handed but threw right!
Larry J Readman
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/15 at 8:50pm
I am predominantly right handed, but had a recurring bicep strain that made me start throwing the height events lefty.  I still throw sheaf lefty.

TROB went lefty on stones to get around an injury as well.

Short answer:  if it helps, then absolutely!

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/15 at 7:44am
I threw a whole season off handed, but not by choice. 

Anyone who's been injured enough and still wants to throw will find a way. 
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/15 at 1:53pm
I used to mirror throw (throw wrong handed) as part of my off season training. It's not something I suggest doing a lot of but it is a great drill for occasional use and helps to mentally reinforce the proper positions you need to hit in order to throw well. I also found that it broke up the monotony of long drill sessions and was a good way to develop coordination. Besides, it was funny as hell to watch, especially with the HWFD - I looked like a fat kid having a seizure which some will note ain't much different than when I threw it right-handed (haters Wink).
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
plockton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plockton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/15 at 2:42pm
the accomplished master at switching hands due to injury is the West Coast Wonder, the ageless Vern Alexander.

vern told me he suffered an injury to his right arm, his natural throwing arm, and taught himself to throw left handed. he was very competitive with this method and still holds many of the geezer records, 70+

it was of course an unorthodox style but very effective, as his numerous awards and high placings will attest. he discovered weight training very late in his career, being naturally strong and would take no advice about it from me.

if throwing in spite of injury is a sickness, then vern was terminal
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/15 at 3:44pm
I do this a lot. I am left handed, and whenever I teach someone new I like to be able to show them how it is done right handed.

I'm just an idiot, pretending to be smart.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic