Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Training Log: Damien Fisher

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/06/15 at 12:55am
8/5/15

Special exercise circuit

core blasters 2x10
triceps punchdowns 2x10ea
SL lateral step (off 12in box) jumps 2x5ea

BTN Push Press
clusters, 3x(2/2/2)@215lbs for two sets, than bumped it to 225lbs for the third.

Deadlift
doubles up to 455lbs

Strict OHP 2x10

Throws in the evening
21# Braemar stone

x12, best of 41'8", PR! Most were between 39-41'

LWFD
3x 1-turn
5x 2-turn, best of 73'
Damien Fisher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/06/15 at 11:57pm
8/6/15

HWFD
3x stand
3x 1-turn
5x 2-turn, best of ~36'. Wasn't driving across the trig very well today

15.5# stone
5x stand, best of 47+, slowly creeping back up to where it should be ~49'
6ishx glide, I think all were 49'+, 3 were 50'+

Heavy hammer
5ish x2-wind, best of 88'+ on a hill. Not finishing the throw and releasing high. Looking at them now I think I'm shifting over the left leg on release for some reason

Light hammer
3x 3-wind. same issue as with heavy

Small games this weekend on Whidbey Island. Should be a fun, low key games before heading to Minnesota in two weeks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/09/15 at 12:15am
8/8/15

Whidbey Island recap

A small games that was part of an even smaller festival about 1.5hr drive away.

HWFD: 1st, 33'+. A couple felt pretty smooth, and were farther, but I fouled them out the side. In a reoccurring theme, not sure if faulty technique or compensating for trying to drive up the hill was to blame. Probably a little of both
LWFD: 1st, 70'11". The only distance trig that wasn't uphill...instead it was sideways on the hill...
24# BS: 1st, 36'. Ok number for going uphill. However fell back in the habit of catapulting over the top
17.6# OS: 1st,  42-3'+. Same as the braemar, catapulting over the top. Also was leaving about a foot at the front of the trig, possibly from gliding uphill...
WOB: 1st, 16'! Season best, and ties my PR. Hit the bar twice at 16'6". At this point I'm convinced that deadlifts are magic for my WOB. Added heavy pulls once a week 2 weeks ago and added a foot to my season best. According to my calculations, 3 more weeks of deadlifts mean I should be good for 17'6" in Pleasanton.
Caber: 1:00ish on all three. Nothing really good or bad about them
HH: 1st, 88'+. There was a ridiculous incline where we threw hammer, probably around a 6-8' change in elevation around the 100' mark, and an even steeper rise after that. Hoping this meant these would have been low 90's
LH: 1st, 111'+. No doubt the 111' was the best throw hammer throw I've ever had. I really wish it was flat ground so I could actually know how far it would have gone...felt like 120', but that's just a guess with the incline.
Sheaf: 1st, 24'. Went for 27' but threw farther horizontally than vertically. Need to get this one figured out these next two weeks, practicing with the 16lb might be thrwing me off more than helping.

It was a well run games, and the small group atmosphere was a cool contrast to Portland and Enumclaw, but throwing up such a steep hill was frustrating since you really could only go by feel on how good the throw was since the distances were cut so much.

Last real week of lifting this week before taking things easy for MN and Pleasanton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/10/15 at 10:57pm
8/10/15

Special exercise circuit
24in Depth Jumps 2x5
Band resisted hip drive 2x10
Band tricep punchdowns 2x10

Power Clean clusters, 2x(2/2/2)@235lbs, 1x(2/2/2)@245lbs

Back Squat 3x365, 2x385, smoked 1x405lbs which is about 90% for me. Thought about going for 425, but thought better of it. The goal for the day was already accomplished.

Slingshot pushups 3x20 fast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/11/15 at 11:43pm
8/11/15

Great hammer session tonight. My old teammate came out again which is a huge help for me. Just got to find a way for her to be at all the games and I'll be set lol.

After a bunch of winds:

Heavy hammer
8x 2-wind, four of these were over 99' with a best of 100'11", 4' practice PR!! Need to keep this rolling into worlds

Light hammer
5x 3-wind, best of 116'. She then had me try a 2-wind so she could see what it looked like and it went 118'...guess I'll be playing with the 2-wind a bit more on LH as well. I'm probably not good enough yet to continue accelerating on the third wind

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/13/15 at 12:05am
8/12/15

Special exercise circuit

core blasters 2x10
glides 2x5
SL lateral step (off 12in box) jumps 2x5ea

BTN Push Press
clusters, 1x(2/2/2)@225lbs, 1x(2/2/2)@235lbs, 1x(2/2/2)@245lbs

Deadlift
singles up to 495lbs. Wanted to go for more but same as the squats on Monday, no need to push it too far and get hurt

Tricep pushdowns 2x20 cause I was tired and didn't feel like pressing

throws in the evening
15.5# open
5x stand, best of ~49', back where it belongs
10x glide, three were over 51' with a best of 52'3" which is a 1' PR! The technique changes I started to work on a couple weeks back are starting to show. Hope this means I've got another foot or so left to gain this last month.

Caber
8ish pulls with a 19' ~85#. First couple runs were solid, but after that I think the deadlifts caught up with me as I had no drive with my hips on the pull

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/14/15 at 12:03am
8/13/15

Had a bit of excitement this morning as my dog got out of his collar while on the run in the backyard. About 3hrs after we started searching we got word that someone had dropped him off at the humane society after he had followed her home after following her on her walk for 20+min lol.

LWFD

3x stand
3x 1-turn
12x full. Very consistent today. Every throw was at least 72', with four being 75'+

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/18/15 at 12:49am
8/17/15
Amateur champs prep

Seated box jumps 2x3

Power Cleans clusters 3x(1/1/1)@205lbs

Box Squat (2in > parallel) 2x2@455lbs
The lifts felt great today, very smooth and fast. Feeling ready for this weekend.

HWFD
3x stand
3x 1-turn
5x 2-turn, best of 38'9". Great last HW throw before the games

Also took 5-6 caber pulls to to work on some timing issues

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/15 at 12:07am
8/18/15

15.5# Open stone

3x stand, best of 49'+
6x glide, best of 52'4"
Stones are still feeling great

Heavy hammer
6x 2-wind, best two were both right about 100'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/15 at 5:45pm
Minnesota Renfest amateur championships recap

HH: 2nd, 102'+. So excited to get a  breakthrough in this event. All three throws were 97'+. Braidy was 1st with 107+
OS: 2nd, 49+. Fell right back to throwing only 6ft off the ground. Sean Urqhart gave me a glide drill through that I hope will help with this a bit over the offseason. Parker won with monster 52+ braemar throw on a heavier stone
HWFD: 3rd, 38+. Becker won with 43+ I believe
LWFD: 3rd, 75+. Becker went for 80+
Had the overall lead heading into lunch, then caber hit...
Caber: 9th, 85deg. Got told that only two guys flipped this 17' 125lb stick last year, seven turned it this year. Brezina took 1st with a 12:00
Sheaf: 4th, 27'. 1ft PR with a 20lb bag. Hit the bar twice at 30' but didn't quite have it enough to get it over. Braidy took this with 30' I believe
WOB: 3rd, 16'. Becker won with either 17' or 17'6"
Overall: 3rd

Top 5 places were:
Braidy Miller
Kevin Becker
Me
Nathan Parker
Adam Brezina

Very happy with how this game went. In a season where I don't think I've lost more than two (maybe three) events in a game it was actually really cool to not win any events and get schooled by much better throwers than I am. Made it very clear which events need much more work over the next couple years before I can try to make the jump to the next level. Big thanks again to Kevin Dupuis for inviting me and running a great game, and congrats to Braidy on the win!

Forgot to log the last few days of last week, so there's some catching up to do

8/19/15
12in Lateral step jumps
2x3ea
BTN Push Press
clusters, 3x(1/1/1)@215lbs

Deadlift
2x2@405

Threw LWFD and sheaf that night, don't remember distances.

8/20/15
Took the open stone and LWFD out for like 5 easy throws each just to keep moving. I don't like to have two days of no throwing or lifting before a meet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/15 at 6:10pm
8/24/15
Took the braemar and open stones out for ~10 throws each. Just getting moving and trying to feel positions after the weekend so I didn't measure anything

8/25/15

Seated jumps x3 complexed with each power clean set

Power Cleans clusters 4x(1/1/1)@215lbs

Back Squat 2x2@365lbs. Felt good so I went 405x1 as well

Slingshot pushups and band pullaparts 2x30 each

Light hammer tonight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/26/15 at 1:06am
8/25/15

Light Hammer

bunch of winds and a few McKim drills
12-15x 2 winds. Most were 114-117', with a best and practice PR or 120'9". I think at this point I'm not gaining anything from the third wind, so I'm gonna stick with just two for the rest of the year. Felt solid today, but kept just barely missing the catch and drive down. I feel like I'm right on the verge of busting into the mid 120's if I can actually catch it and drive down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/15 at 12:07am
8/26/15

Open stone

10ishx stand
10ishx glide
Didn't measure anything. Time is pretty tight this week trying to get everything in place at work before I leave for two weeks, so I went through this pretty quickly. Was focusing on feeling out positions more so than distances. With only two weeks left in my season I'm not gonna see any big improvements, so the goal of each session is just to smooth out technique issues.

8/27/15
Pretty busy again so I wasn't able to get any throws in before it got dark, but I got most of my planned lifting done in my garage.

BTN Push press clusters, 4x(1/1/1)@205lbs. Meant to do these at 215 again and realized afterwards I had left the 5's off....

Deadlift 2x2@405. Same as squats, these felt good so went for the single at 455lbs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/15 at 11:05pm
8/28/15

LWFD

3x stand
3x 1-trun
10x 2-turn. First five were tempo throws trying to fix a couple positions. Last five were full speed and were all 74-75'. Didn't feel any pop at the finish but positions felt good.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/31/15 at 12:33am
8/29/15

Bench
2x2@275, then 315x2 with the slingshot

Glute bridge up to 5x405lbs

No throws yesterday or today due to 20-30mph winds and heavy rain on and off. Even lost power for about 12hrs yesterday. Hoping to get a decent session in tomorrow before I start the drive down to Pleasanton on Tuesday.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/16/15 at 10:40pm
Pleasanton recap

OS: 4th, 48+. This was not how I wanted to start this comp off...
HWFD: t-2nd, 38'3"
LH: 2nd, 118+ PR
WOB: 2nd, 15. Left everything out front at 16'
Caber: 3rd, 85deg
BS: 3rd, 35+
LWFD: 1st, 76+
HH 1st, 101+
Challenge caber: 1st, 80deg
Overall: A lucky 1st
Very happy that I was able to make this trip and throw with some great guys, especially Nate Parker. I know I've got to bring everything I have and then some against him, which makes the competition so much more fun. I was awesome to see and meet so many legends of the sport, and to see the pro world champs up close. Made it very clear just how far I still have to go to be good at this sport.

My wife and I took a week to drive back, spending some time in Yosemite, Crater Lake, and the Oregon coast. Really glad we were able to make the time to do this trip.

Stopped at the Kelso games on the way back and wrapped up the SGL PNW title, as well as hit a big light hammer PR of 122'3".

Last game of the season in two weeks at the Treasure Valley games. I'll be throwing as an amateur in the pro class so I'm excited to throw against guys much better than I am.
swollenknuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swollenknuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/16/15 at 11:08pm
Great work this season Damien, it has been great seeing your progress throughout the season which I know echo's your hard work that you have put into your training.  Good luck in Idaho and I am excited to see the progress you will make over the off season. 
Ray Siochowicz

AD Victoria Highland Games Association

www.victoriahighlandgames.com

TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/15 at 7:30am
Congrats man! Winning Pleasanton is one big step in the right direction. It won't be too many more comps (let alone years) until you're throwing with pros. Keep it up and good luck!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/15 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by swollenknuck swollenknuck wrote:

Great work this season Damien, it has been great seeing your progress throughout the season which I know echo's your hard work that you have put into your training.  Good luck in Idaho and I am excited to see the progress you will make over the off season. 

Thanks Ray! Promise to keep me in mind if Victoria needs another body Big smile

Originally posted by TheJeff696 TheJeff696 wrote:

Congrats man! Winning Pleasanton is one big step in the right direction. It won't be too many more comps (let alone years) until you're throwing with pros. Keep it up and good luck!

Thanks Jeff!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/21/15 at 2:52pm
This past week has been busy as school is starting back up and my athletes are getting back into town, and training has been boring so I haven't logged it. Basically deloaded last week with moderate weight oly lifts and lights sets of 10 for the big three. Did a bunch of stone drills in the garage on Wednesday, threw hammers on Friday with bests of ~100' with the 22lb and ~119' with the 16lb, LWFD on Saturday was consistently ~75', and 21lb Braemar was 41-42' all ten throws. Deload lifting again this week, and planning to make it out to throw 3-4 times before my final competition of the season at the Treasure Valley games this weekend.

Edited by Damien Fisher - 9/21/15 at 7:19pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/15 at 9:10pm
Treasure Valley recap
9/26/15

Got the chance to throw with the pros for my last game of the season

BS: 1st, 40'10.5" PR. Great stone.
OS: 1st, 48'+. This was terrible. Went 42', 44', before finally managing something not completely embarrassing
HWFD: 2nd, 40'7" 2ft PR!. Went for 40'5" on my third as well. First time I've been over 40' in a competition. The chain seemed to be a little long though so it may not have been completely legit
LWFD: 4th, 75'+
HH: 2nd, 99'+
LH: 2nd, 123'+ PR
Sheaf: 3rd, 28' PR with the 20lb
WOB: 2nd, 16'
Caber: 2nd, 12:15 with 17' 129lbs. Felt great to turn this caber that was nearly identical in size to the one that cost me a spot or two at amateur worlds.
Overall: 1st by just a couple points

Had an awesome time throwing with Rob Young, Isaac Burchett, Ryan Stewart, Jon O'Neill, and Cory Frazier (also throwing as an am). Big thanks to the AD Rick Morriss for giving me the chance to throw with these guys.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/15 at 9:24pm
9/28/15

Offseason started today, so that means 10x10 for awhile to try and gain some weight and set the base for the rest of the year.

Cleans up to 3x3@185lbs. Working on learning the full deep catch oly lifts this offseason instead of my usual power variations, just because its been something I've always wanted to get better at.

Squats 10xbar, 10x135, 10x155, 10x185, 10x205, 5x10x225. Started these off really light this week. Will start to push the weight a bit as the weeks go on.

RDL 5x10x225

Step ups 2x20 each leg

Roman chair situp 3x10

This will be the structure for the first part of my offseason.
1. Moderate load, low volume power movement. The focus is on improving technique, not pushing the weight.
2. 10x10 main lift
3. 5x10 secondary lift
4. 2-3x15-20 unilateral
5. 2-3x10+ core/smaller muscles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/30/15 at 4:53pm
9/29/15

BTN Push Jerk
up to 3x3x185lbs

Strict OHP 10xbar, 10x85, 10x95, 10x105, 3x10x115, 2x10x125, 1x10x135. Don't laugh.

Yates rows 5x10x225
w/
DB Incline
5x10x70's

3 rounds of:
tricep pushdown x10
hammer curls x10
lateral raises x10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/15 at 11:54pm
10/1/15

Hang Snatch
up to 3x3x135lbs Never really done the full catch version before. Same as the cleans, want to get better at these for no reason other then I like them.

Deadlift 10xbar, 10x135, 10x185, 10x225, 10x245, 5x10x275. Much easier then I was expecting.

Tiger squat 5x10x405

Back extensions 3x10xbar

Plate Sedych twists
3x10x20kg

10/2/15

BTN Push press up to 3x3x185lbs

Bench 10xbar, 10x135, 10x155, 7x10x185

Pullups w/band assistance 5x10

Overhead triceps extension 5x10x60
w/
Tricep pushdowns
5x10x120

Used a rowing erg for the first time tonight at a fundraising event at a local brewery, went 500m in 1:25. Fastest time got five free raffle tickets.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/15 at 1:14am
2015 Season recap

My second year went much better than expected. I had a goal of finishing top 15 in NASGA, and after a recent game's scores have been entered, I believe I will have finished the year ranked 6th. Was fortunate enough to go 11/12 on the year, including wins at Enumclaw, Pleasanton, and the Treasure Valley pro class. The only game I wasn't able to manage a win at was Amateur Worlds, where I was very happy with a 3rd place finish in a great field.

Marks at the end of the year:
BS: 40'10.75"
HWFD: 40'7.5"
LWFD: 77'7.5"
HH: 102'8.5"
LH: 123'1"
20lb Sheaf: 28'
WOB: 16'

Goals for next season:
BS: 43'
HWFD: 43'
LWFD: 84'
HH: 110'
LH: 132'
Sheaf: 32'
WOB: 17'
Caber: turn every stick

Some of these may be too high to reach since I most likely used up all my newbie gains this season, but I'd rather aim high than be satisfied with small improvements.

As I've mentioned, the goal for the first part of the offseason is to put some size on. Weighed in at 279lbs before squats last Monday, hoping to be 290-292lbs by January.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/15 at 9:05pm
10/5/15

Had athletes interrupt me a couple times today in between the regular groups so I wasn't able to get everything in that I was hoping for. Still got the bulk of it in though.

Squats 10xbar, 10x135, 10x185, 10x205, 10x225, 5x10x255. My bad left knee started acting up like it always seems to do with high volume squats during the 205 set. After 225 I switched to a box at parallel for the last five sets. I'll most likely just keep using the box for the rest of the high volume phase just to be safe. Don't see a reason to risk hurting it more when the box still lets me put the work in.

RDL 5x10x245

Step ups 1x20 each
w/
TKE 1x20 each

Roman chair situp 3x10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/15 at 2:44pm
10/6/15

BTN Push Press
up to 3x3x185lbs

Strict OHP 10xbar, 10x85, 10x95, 10x105, 6x10x115

Yates rows 5x10x245
w/
DB Incline
5x10x75's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/15 at 8:32pm
10/8/15

Deadlift 10xbar, 10x135, 10x185, 10x225, 10x275, 5x10x315. Really like how these are feeling so far

Inverted Leg press 5x10x575

45deg Back extensions 3x10x60lbs. The biggest weight near the back extension machines was a 60lb dumbbell so that's what I went with.

Cable Pallof Press 2x10each

Plate Sedych twists
2x10x20kg

Had to lift in the student rec this morning cause of PE classes in the varsity weightroom and they don't allow oly lifts. Still felt really good after the morning deadlifts, so I did 4-5 sets each of hang snatches and snatch balances with 135-175 in the evening at home.

10/9/15

Snatch Grip Push press up to 3x205lbs

Bench 10xbar, 10x135, 10x155, 10x175, 10x185, 5x10x205

Pullups w/band assistance 5x10

Cable Overhead triceps extension 5x10x100,110,120,130,130
w/
Cable Tricep pushdowns
5x10x100,110,120,130,130

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/15 at 11:32pm
10/12/15

Hang Cleans
up to 3x3x185

Squats
10xbar, 10x135, 10x185, 10x225, 10x245, 5x10x275. No box available tonight since I lifted at home so I went for the full squats. The knee acted up a bit on the last couple sets, but not near as bad as last week. So much for following my own advice and being safe haha

RDL 1x10x275. Easy weight, but felt too heavy to load my hips the way I wanted to, so dropped to 4x10x225

TKE 2x20 each
w/
Step ups 2x20 each

22lb Hammer Winds 2x10 each way

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/15 at 8:48pm
10/13/15

Snatch grip push press up to 3x3x225

Strict OHP 10xbar, 10x85, 10x95, 10x105, 10x115, 10x125, 4x10x135, Finally up to big boy plates.

Yates rows 10x185, 4x10x225
w/
DB Incline press 10x60, 10x70, 3x10x80

Barbell shrugs snatch grip 30x135, clean grip 30x135
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic