FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

WFD Range Throwing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throw50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WFD Range Throwing
    Posted: 5/11/15 at 8:42am
Year 3 of competition, and I am trying to build a more systematic approach to actual training by...actually training

I am terrible in WFD..it really shows up in HWFD, as you can muscle the LWFD a lot more. I am trying to improve.

I have a T&F background, so I have to work with the skills that got me here. I am curious if any of you apply range throwing, such as was employed by the Soviets and Anatoli Bondarchuk in the T&F hammer. I'd like to think that training at 80-90% of PR distance may have greater value than just trying to see how far I can throw in practice, over and over, and using increases in distance to indicate I did something "right"

I am notorious for winning warmups in college, I'd like to break that cycle
Thanks
John
JoelT39 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoelT39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/11/15 at 2:58pm
I don't do range throwing but in training I rarely throw 100%. I strive to get the feel and hit the positions that are needed. My track coach would never let us bring a tape on the practise field. He said young throwers tend to chase the distance instead of working on technique.

Get the feel you need to and do that 1000s of times and you will throw far.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/11/15 at 3:42pm
Not an expert but when I competed and practiced would measure out 85% of my best..put a cone at that mark..warmup and take three throws all should be around that mark..then would take 3 more all 3 had to be past the cone if one wasn't stopped as soon as missed the 85% mark
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/11/15 at 4:50pm
range throwing, blegh.

Just don't bring a tape, or only put it out for the last couple throws.

Work the throw from the delivery/finish back and it'll come into place. Positions before distance.
throw50 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throw50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/12/15 at 8:45am
Ok, Jake...maybe I am overthinking it.
I was using just the light weight to optimize how many throws I could muster in practice, but I'm thinking I should be using the heavy, as that will be most challenging and unforgiving to find the right positions

Agree?
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/12/15 at 10:04am
the two are the exact same movement imo.

you can force the 28 to do what you want and still have respectable marks. you can't force the 56. I was throwing the 28 79ft before I was throwing the 56 34ft. But once I focused on the 56 exclusively and got it to 40, the 28 went up on its own.

I was taking 40-60 throws/week with the 56 at one point (and still take far more with the heavy vs the light, but only on wfd).

If your positions are on with the 56, they'll carry over to the 28, you just have to move faster.

Now, with the hammers and stones, I just throw light implements all the time in practice. If your positions are on with the lighter implements, they'll carry over to the heavier ones. I suspect its because of the smaller difference in weights vs with the wfd.
throw50 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throw50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/18/15 at 8:59am
Thank you Jake, PRS in both weights this weekend. The secret was to hit key positions
Thank you very much!
LJRed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/29/15 at 4:43pm
For what it's worth, I pick a distance I can hit with a bit of effort.
Example: lwfd-pr 40' I go for 35'. This means I have to throw forum
and a bit of psyching up. When I hit the goal , I move on to the next
event. Like Al Feauerbach said, challenge yourself to accomplish some-
thing every workout!
Larry J Readman
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic