FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Sheaf Secrets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sheaf Secrets
    Posted: 4/16/15 at 3:25pm
Was wandering what you think helps your sheaf? I have heard heavy Deadlifts, overweight bags. What have you found that helped you add height to your sheaf.
Remember Kay Cummings, Father of the Highland Games in the Southeast and my friend. Lets Go Run With The Big Dogs!
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/15 at 7:38pm
Not throwing it until competition. Practicing sheaf very overated(+its a stupid event that should be banned/any games I throw or AD bans the sheaf and either throws a second stone or second hammer)
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/15 at 7:46pm
I would say snatch.   It feels more like a snatch than anything else for me.
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
Hapy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/15 at 8:33pm
There are two things I think about when throwing sheaf - the amount of rotational power I am putting on the bag, and then the amount of verticality I put on it.

Some guys are extremely strong on the rotational end of things - Harrison Bailey comes to my mind in particular - he would stand further away from the bar than the height and launch it like a rocket - still making 34' with the 20b bag.

Others have tremendous vertical pop - Don Stewart for example.  He stands almost right under the bar, and just launches it virtually straight up into the air.

So - knowing how your style is, you may want to work on different aspects here.  For me to throw the highest, I have to really remind myself to get vertical - Tony's recommendation of snatch seems pretty close to what I would say as well.  But if your style dictates that you are a rotational "torque" thrower, then maybe things like plate twists, medicine ball throws or overweight hammer rotations might be your best bet.

I definitely would not recommend throwing an overweight sheaf - this will mess with your timing/aim (at least it would with mine, which is always suspect for me anyhow).

Also, YOU CAN NEVER GO WRONG WITH HEAVY DEADS, go get some!

Real Men Wear Purple

Tinky Winky Throw Far!

Central Vermont Strength Association
getyoukilt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getyoukilt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/17/15 at 5:19am
Hapy's breakdown is spot on. For rotation I like hammer winds, alternating sides. Also low cables, mimicking the pulls for various events. For vertical, its hard to beat hang cleans, I don't worry too much about the form, just the pull. As I get older , I seem to get better results from trying to move weight faster rather than heavier. Get with me at Ormond, and I will show you everything I know about the sheaf. ........OK .....I will show you the two things I know about the sheaf........and they may be the same thing.
"     " - Harpo Marx
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/17/15 at 7:47am
Originally posted by Hapy Hapy wrote:

There are two things I think about when throwing sheaf - the amount of rotational power I am putting on the bag, and then the amount of verticality I put on it.

Some guys are extremely strong on the rotational end of things - Harrison Bailey comes to my mind in particular - he would stand further away from the bar than the height and launch it like a rocket - still making 34' with the 20b bag.

Others have tremendous vertical pop - Don Stewart for example.  He stands almost right under the bar, and just launches it virtually straight up into the air.

So - knowing how your style is, you may want to work on different aspects here.  For me to throw the highest, I have to really remind myself to get vertical - Tony's recommendation of snatch seems pretty close to what I would say as well.  But if your style dictates that you are a rotational "torque" thrower, then maybe things like plate twists, medicine ball throws or overweight hammer rotations might be your best bet.

I definitely would not recommend throwing an overweight sheaf - this will mess with your timing/aim (at least it would with mine, which is always suspect for me anyhow).

Also, YOU CAN NEVER GO WRONG WITH HEAVY DEADS, go get some!

^^  I love this post. 

That said, most of us are likely strong enough to throw the sheaf really high, so make sure the technique side of it is buttoned up. 
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/17/15 at 11:09am
Originally posted by grasshopper grasshopper wrote:

I would say snatch.   It feels more like a snatch than anything else for me.

Damn right, sheaf always improves with more snatch.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/17/15 at 2:37pm
Life improves with more snatch.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/17/15 at 9:17pm
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
Braidy Miller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braidy Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/26/15 at 2:36pm
It's about technique and timing just like all the other events so you need to practice. I usually throw an 18lb bag. ( a lot )
With that said, I have found when my power snatch and deadlifts are up, I throw higher.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic