Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Throwing Only
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

making a sheaf

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: making a sheaf
    Posted: 2/07/15 at 6:03pm
So I recently purchased a sheaf that was marketed and filled with rubberized landscape mulch.  Not a bad idea but I think the rubber mulch is to dense for the bag and the "shock" of throwing and landing after being thrown is too much.

After the 1st use the bag started to rip at the seems.  So I purchased Mason Twine and a special upholstery needle (it is curved and big) and I stitched it up. That worked on the seem but after the 2nd and 3rd uses the holes from the fork are opening up and the rubber mulch is falling out.  In summary the thing is falling apart after 3 uses.  

I am not so sure I can blame the construction but maybe more the design. I think the density of rubber mulch exceeds the capacity of burlap.

Which brings me to my post; building my own sheaf.  I have acquired several burlap sacks from a local coffee roasting company.  I have the mason twine (really just a heavy-duty nylon thread) and needle.  I see on the Tractor Supply Company website that they carry bulk twine relatively cheap.  Am I missing anything?  Any advice or special instruction I should be aware of...?

Thanks

Wiggs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/27/15 at 10:59am
jaclev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaclev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/27/15 at 5:54pm
figure out how many bags you are going to use to cover it put it on a scale and weigh out the twine to make it your desired weight.

Swede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/28/15 at 8:44am
Wow, that was a great video! I guess I can consider my first attempt at making my own sheaf a good learning experience (Ha-ha). I basically ended up with a twine ball wrapped in burlap, not even close to being square/rectangle. Great instructional video that really helped. I have all of the raw materials, now a solid blueprint, back to work, thanks again!
Detroitpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Detroitpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/15 at 8:54am
I recently made a women's weight sheaf.  I had a short turnaround time and had to work with the materials I had.  I think I might have come across a relatively cheap and effective sheaf:  I had extra nylon rope from sheaf/wob standards and various uses around the house/yard.  I started with a canvass like grocery tote, filled and packed it with rope.  The tote helped keep the bundle in a square form.  Used burlap to wrap the bag like you would a christmas present and stiched twine on the seams.

Entire project took an hour. The bag is square and tight, without that hated 'flop' you can get with a loose bag that's like a bedroom pillow.  A 16 or heavier bag would take the amount of time--just a bit more compacting of the rope/twine.
Pogany View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pogany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/18/15 at 6:19pm
Back in the day, because of my close ties with the commercial fishing industry, I stuffed my sheafs with old lobster pot warp and discarded otter trawl netting ..... on a hot, humid day you could smell 'em a hundred yards away, but man would they fly!!
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/15 at 9:47pm
Nice to see you back on here Wayne!!  Its been a while!
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic