Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Throwing Only
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Gloves? Yes/No? Type?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gloves? Yes/No? Type?
    Posted: 12/19/14 at 5:57pm
I read Matt Vincent's great article on Gear for the Games, and I saw some discussion on gloves but didn't want to derail the thread with just questions about gloves.

I wanted to see what types of gloves(brand/model, material, type, half/full finger, etc) athletes use for different events(maybe links?). What you all have found to work best, or if you don't recommend them at all. I'm sure it's mostly thrower's preference, but I wanted to see if there were some lessons learned. 

So far I've been trying out these: Mad Grip Thunderdome Rubber High Performance Gloves(goofy name I know)

They're pretty durable, seem to have a good amount of tacky with the rubber, and I like them so far for hammers. Maybe too much tacky, but I'm guessing as I get better I'll want that. But I definitely do not like these for WFD/WOB. I haven't gotten a chance to try them out on caber, but I feel they'd help me out with the pick. I can't say that I've ever seen anyone use gloves on caber before though(I am a newb though), so I guess that would be next question is if that's a good idea or not.

I've been taping for WOB/WFD so far, but I'd say that's mainly for preservation of my hands more than anything, so I was wondering if there's some recommendations.

Thanks!
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/14 at 6:10pm
I started out with nylon gloves that have leather palms and a Velcro strap. I gave those up and ripped calluses till I stared taping on wob and wfd. It seemed like I didn't have control of the weight with the glove and it's hard to hook grip gloved. For the last 2 seasons I've taped with hook grip.
I have seen some guys use the gloves like what you use but you'll probably want to tape them on for hammer. Caber, I use tack but some people are using football receiver gloves.
Old enough to know better. Still too young to care.
Daniel McKim View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/14 at 9:20pm
I'm with Glenn. I used to use a glove, but my distances really took off once I abandoned the glove and began using the hook grip with just taping my thumb and part of my pinky.  It's true, it's thrower's preference, but you'll want to start tackling the hook grip sooner than later, whether you use a glove or not. 

As far as hammer, I've never used gloves as the handle moves too much and I want to really "feel" the handle. Good luck, man, and welcome to the sport!
BillyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/14 at 9:48pm
Thank you both for the advice! I've got a practice throw day on Sunday, I'll start working on the hook grip. 

Also, Daniel, thanks for the 16 days of tips on Facebook, those are great!
Daniel McKim View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/14 at 2:44pm
My pleasure, man! Thank you!
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/17/15 at 12:12pm
I have long hands and use a leather glove with the thumb wrapped in tape and then chalk on it so it does not stick much as athletic tape rubber will come through and make it hang in there.  I hook grip and never need tacky, as I said, my fingers are long and it is easy to grab.  
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
jwalla16 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwalla16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/01/16 at 1:16pm
I love gloves, but I have small, womanly hands. I use finger-less Grease Monkey gloves for weights, as they're made of thin leather that doesn't affect my feel for the weights (and I don't have to tape up all the time), and the super cheap plastic gloves that were in the bin below the Grease Monkey gloves at Home Depot for hammer. I really like those because tacky is a pain in the ass to get off your hands.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/01/16 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by jwalla16 jwalla16 wrote:

I really like those because tacky is a pain in the ass to get off your hands.

Magic Tacky Remover
Aim high. Stay hungry.
jwalla16 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwalla16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/01/16 at 1:33pm
I carry turpentine with me at all times, and it works wonderfully; I'd rather just not deal with it at all.
jdcowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdcowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/11/17 at 2:51pm
Hey Daniel, when you're hook gripping which events are you doing that on? Are you hook gripping on the WFD as well as the WOB?
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/11/17 at 5:41pm
Yes, I'd say the majority of the pros hook grip for both WFDs and WOB.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/11/17 at 8:11pm
one of the best gloves Ive ever used was watersking gloves(find them in boat,sporting good stores)..they are light leather..fit well..nice wrist closure...made to get wet and dry out quick...can hook with them....when I was doing10+ games a year + p[ractice-hand was tough as nails and would 9/10 just tape my thumb...on a comeback after a 9 year layoff-got girl hand so back to watersking glove
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic