Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

MrPeanut's Observations and Notes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MrPeanut's Observations and Notes
    Posted: 8/17/14 at 7:25pm
I started this thread for myself to record my observations and what has worked for me, just starting out.

I'm a 210 lb, 6'2", 56 year old man. I'm not a offensive or defensive lineman or Heavy Games competitor. However, I was vary athletic most of my life.

Why my interest in the HG?

My ancestry is Scottish on 3 of my grandparents sides and I grew up attending the games. I speak some rudimentary gaelic and have always been interested in history, including Scotland. Yes, I own a kilt. I dabbled in the HG 30 years ago at Camp Lejeune.

Why an I doing this? The older I am getting my type II diabetes is getting worse even though my diet is good, I exercise and lift moderate weights. I am less than ten lbs over my BMI. I need to use more of my core and don't want to get bored. Hence the HG.

I'm shooting for my first completion in Manheim PA on September 21st.

1. I bought the HG Throws Training Set DVD on Amazon.
2. Pestered the Pros on the NASGA Forum with A LOT of questions. They are pretty good.
3. The internet is your friend, especially youtube.
4. Procured the following: kettle ball weights (45 and 25 lb), a 16 lb shotput, and a 22lb hammer.

I will probably make a "beginner's" caber and I will need to find a sheaf fork.

I changed my weight lifting routine to focus mush more on my legs. I can do "pseudo squats" on a on of the machines where I work out and do my quads extensions, hamstring curls. My upper body is presses, rows, tricep pushdowns, bicep curls, and a couple of other things I don't actually know the name of. Definitely getting stronger. Adding some more protein to the diet.

Initial Observations:

It is easier to focus on technique using some lighter weights. I could get the 45 lb weight for height 8-9 ft even on my first ever tries. But working with a 35 or so weight may be beneficial.

The internet was a great help with the shotput. I threw for the first time yesterday using a "mini-glide" and consistently threw about 20 ft.

I got the 22 lb hammer from old celt. When I first tried the hammer I could not even keep my balance. However, things improved when I started warming up with the sledge hammer from my shed. My rotations with the 22lb hammer were very slow but I could keep my balance and get the hammer about 30 ft in the correct direction.

The absolute hardest so far is the weight for distance. I really need to carefully study the videos to get the technique down and should probably try a even a light 15 lb kettle ball to start with and work on my balance. The WFD was simply ugly.

That's it so far.

Edited by MrPeanut - 8/18/14 at 1:12pm
Even a broken old man can learn to throw a hammer. I ain't dead yet!
KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/14 at 7:48pm
Welcome!
Remember Kay Cummings, Father of the Highland Games in the Southeast and my friend. Lets Go Run With The Big Dogs!
MrPeanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/14 at 8:18pm
This and a few other youtube videos are what I am using for the open stone.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD9D0D0CFABA045F2one

I am interested in the glide technique because I want to use both right and left arms, which I have actually tried.

PS: I am actually trying the hammer with both clockwise and counter-clockwise rotations.

MrPeanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/14 at 8:26pm
I found this in another thread and am starting to do some moderate weight dead lifts.

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/deadlift/

MrPeanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/18/14 at 11:09am
100 lb lateral squats 3 x 10.
90 lb quads 3 x 10.
90 lb hamstring curls 3 x 10
50/60/70 lb dead lifts 3 x 10. (Took it easy for first time exercise,
ordered a backbelt)
Walked 2.5 miles.

Edited by MrPeanut - 8/18/14 at 9:27pm
MrPeanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/14 at 9:36pm
110 lb presses 3 x 10
70 lb rows 3 x 10
50 tricep pushdows 3 x 10
50 lb curls 3 x 10
60 lb ab crunches 3 x 15
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/20/14 at 3:59pm
Keep it up man...love the effort.
The man in the arena.
MrPeanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/22/14 at 1:38pm
Repeat of previous 2 posts.

Added arm extensions (20 lbs each arm) to help with the open stone and some lighter weight shoulder exercises (internal and external rotations) to improve my flexibility.

Got out and swung the sledge hammer for flexibility for the hammer throw.

Edited by MrPeanut - 8/23/14 at 5:26pm
MrPeanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/14 at 6:48pm
Took a week off the lifting. Muscles were a little tired.

120 lb lateral squats 3 x 10.
90 lb quads 3 x 10.
90 lb hamstring curls 3 x 10
100/110/120 lb dead lifts 3 x 10.

Doing an almond milk, soy protein isolate, peanut butter shake for breakfast in the morning.

Actually gaining some muscle mass.

MrPeanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/07/14 at 5:16pm
Continued the routine.

Up to 130 lbs on the squats and deadlifts.

Practiced WFH with the 25 lb kettle-ball and the open stone with the 15 lb shot-put.

The dead lifts and squats seem to be making a difference with both. I can get my legs in to them better. Doing them with both hands/arms.

Able to control the 22 lb hammer without difficulty and make a throw. I seem to be able to add some acceleration on the last rotation. My legs feel better in this also. Again probably the squats and deadlifts.

Still having a lot of problems on the WFD but am getting better at making one full rotation without falling over. Still need to get a lighter weight and practice the footwork EVERY night.

MrPeanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/29/14 at 8:19pm
Went to CA for a week (work), used the horrible little gym there.

Then did the HG demo at Parenfaire in PA.

Went to see the Classic.

Pseudo-squats 120, 130, 140.
Quads: 100, 110, 120.
Hamstrings: 105, 120, 135.
Deadlifts: 130, 140, 150.
10 for each set.

Slowly but surely increasing the weight and obvious difference in muscle tone, seem to be gaining mass. I wasn't sure I could gain at 56 years old.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic