Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » A.D.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Backyard Games

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Backyard Games
    Posted: 6/26/14 at 9:46am
Hypothetically speaking... should someone I know want to put on a backyard games, he has the following questions:

1. Does it have to be sanctioned by any of the groups like SSAAA, S.H.A.G., etc., to be a legitimate competition?  (Note:  I'm not even sure what I mean by 'legitimate', except maybe enter-able into the database.)
  2. Does it have to be open to all amateur classes, or can it be restricted to certain classes?
  3. Likewise, is there a minimum number of athletes required to be considered a legitimate competition?
  4. Can athletes judge and score athletes, or is independence required?

There is thinking going on about a small event, but how small depends on answering some of these questions.

Thanks,

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/26/14 at 10:27am
1.  No.  Most games are not sanctioned. 
2.  No.  Any classes you want.
3.  No.  For the Pro Celtic Rankings there is a requirement of 4.  This does not exist for any other class. 
4.  Yes.  It's obv easier to have a dedicated judge/scorekeeper, but it's not absolutely necessary. 
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/26/14 at 1:55pm
Eggssssellent.  Thank you Craig.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Flame of Idaho View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flame of Idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/30/14 at 3:37pm
Of 20 some games a year that I attend, rougly half are athlete competing and judging with no problem. It is especially the small games not much at stake. Most other athletes in our area are judge-qualified, are honest about it, and watch out for each other. In the big games with stiffer competition and more at stake I see it as more important that judges be independant of athletes for obvious conflicts of interest.  
Where the caber is such a judgement call, we've "swapped" judges just to keep it more consistent. I would also seek all athletes' approval for who is judging and throwing.
I have also seen when two groups throw together such as Masters and Lightweights, a qualified LW judges the Masters, and a qualified Master judges the Lightweights.
At small games we host, we usually waive the registration fee for the athlete who judges one of the groups.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/30/14 at 8:45pm
Thanks again.  I running the traps now to see if a specific small games might come to light.  It's this sort of stuff I want to have lined up before I contact athletes and gauge interest.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic