Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Justin Blatnik

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/08/14 at 6:15pm
Took 1/7/14 off. Just exhausted working full days and not much sleep. Really need to practice going to bed earlier (didn't help that I stayed up watching the National Championship football game Monday night which led to only 3.5 hrs of sleep)

1/8/14 Back (Lats) w/ Bodybuilder Friend Thomas

Wide Grip Pulldowns x bunch
HS Horizontal Row x bunch
Chest Supported Row x bunch
Close Grip Pulldowns x bunch
Rope Straight Arm Pulldowns x bunch
50 Pullups - managed 16 bodyweight in 4 sets and had to move to assisted machine to finish out. Totally smoked.

The "x bunch" is really because we don't go off of a specific set and rep scheme. With Thomas it's all about Da Pahmp! Really its a bunch of sets of 10-15 with working up in weight and the 10s being pretty dang heavy.
JustinBlatnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/10/14 at 3:40pm
1/10/14 Lower

Squats
warm up to 315x1 beltless
go take care of clients measurements...ugh
warm back up to 365x1 beltless- felt pretty good here
belt on
405x1 didn't feel as good haha
add wraps
405 for 4 singles

Leg Press 5x15 3 pps light, narrow stance.
Leg Extension 4x20 then dropset
Leg Curl 5x15
Lunges 2x50 steps bodyweight

F'n rain is killing throwing practice for Central Florida. Just going to have to show up on game day and hope for the best! Hopefully can get in some drills next week.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/14 at 7:07pm
Past Week or So...

Haven't done all too much. Schedule has been hectic and weather has been crappy for throwing practice. Hoping to just be able to turn it on on gameday this coming Sunday at the Central Florida Highland Games. Excited to be getting in a games in the "offseason". Not expecting anything earth-shattering due to lack of practice but maybe if we throw 16lb sheaf I'll have a go at that illusive 30' mark.

1/14 Throw Practice
LFWD Line dill in the driveway for about 10x
Sheaf x some. Was feeling pretty dang good.
Caber x 2 walks. On second one, slipped on my pull and tried to kill myself. Whew.

1/15 Light Lift and Sheaf
Sheaf for some throws in the driveway.
Box jumps x some
High Block Snatches
135x3
155x3
175x1
185x1
195x1
shut it down. just being smart. time to rest up for the weekend.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/24/14 at 5:43pm
Central Florida Scottish Games

Had an amazing trip that went extremely well, hassle free, and was still a relaxing time. Going to add in a little extra here other than just my throws to recap the entire experience because it was so great! Don't want to read all the garbage, scroll down to the throws and deal with it haha

"Slept in" Saturday morning and got up and started the drive at 6am and was able to take our time (our being that my girlfriend Brittany was so awesome that she made the trip with me and took off work on Monday for it). Part of the awesomeness of this trip was that I made it super affordable for myself in a tough financial time for myself. we stopped for breakfast at Chick-Fil-A (I had a $15 gift card!) and Walmart (also had a $10 gift card here) for some snacks, drinks, and stuff for lunches. Also I decided to cash in all of my saved change at coinstar to help pay for gas for the trip, and got back $72, enough to cover 2/3 of my gas costs for the trip! Smooth drive other than we were "suckered" into stopping at an "elaborate" fruit stand for "$1 a bag of fruit" thinking I could get a bunch of good oranges for $1, sadly it was 2 (oranges that is). Got suckered in by the neon advertising. Never again haha. So made it down and passed by the hotel to go spend some time at Downtown Disney, because you can't make a vacation trip to Orlando without a little Disney! Met up with some of the guys of some pretty good BBQ for dinner and a drink at their hotel. Got to meet a lot of the top amateurs and get a first hand replay of the North/South games that were held that Saturday. Definitely an experience I hope to make one day!

Onto Saturday...

Woke up to a pretty decent hotel breakfast after a little bit more-than-normal amount of sleep for me and then made it to the games a little early. Speaking of hotel, I found a pretty decent rate for 2 nights a a hotel across the street of the games' hotel, and having planned on the games for a while, I had saved $10 here and there and had actually saved up more than my hotel when it came time to pay for it! Success! Since it was the day of the East/West women's games, the A's would throw out of traditional order to allow them to, so we started with Hammer and then followed the regular traditional order. So games recaps:

Heavy (22lb.) Hammer - 75' and change for a PR on my 3rd throw. My first throw felt the best and I completely surprised myself on this event since it is my worst event and I have practiced it the least.
Good for 3rd in the event.

Open Stone - 36'11" This stone was a rectangle and I struggled to find a good grip on it. Felt good about this since my stone and glide technique has felt inconsistent as of late.
Good for 4th in the event (only event I did not place in).

HWFD (56lb) - 29'10.5" or something close to that. This had felt pretty good lately and it showed, being super close to my goal of 30' for the games. Still have only gone over 30' once in my life in this event.
Good for 3rd in the event.

LFWD (28lb) - 59'11" Same as the Heavy weight here except with 60'. Felt off in both of my weights for distance a little bit and know I have room for improvement. More consistent practice needed.
Good for 2nd in the event.

Caber - 75 degrees. This caber was pretty beastly. No turns by the entire group. pretty long with no taper either. I think that with another 3 attempts I might have been able to turn it.
Good for 3rd in the event (behind an 89 degrees and a (2) 75-degrees.

16lb Sheaf - 30ft! BOOYAH!!!!!! PR!!! Finally officially went over the 30' mark in the sheaf. Been wanting that for about 6-8 months now! Won the event this that throw (3rd attempt) and then took 3 attempts at 31ft with my first throw easily clearing 31' but not going back over the bar. So fun with the adrenalin rush!
Good to win the event.

Weight for Height (56lb) - 12ft. Well...this was what I would consider my worst performance of the day. 12' with 1 miss put me in a tie for 3rd. Threw straight up with my first and third throws and on my second throw I hit the ground and dropped the weight before asking to reset. Took a 4th throw real quick for "my sanity" and real quickly and easily cleared the 13ft mark Womp Womp. Hey - Confident that I can do it!
Good for a 3rd place tie.

Overall - 2nd place pretty solidly. My best ever finish as an A competitor.

Afterwards, went back and went out to a steakhouse for dinner with some of the guys again. Shared in laughs and good food and company as always. The drive back was uneventful and went smoothly. Ended up spending $120 that I hadn't already saved - which in my opinion is freakin sweet for a games trip from Charlotte to Orlando.

Can't wait to throw again! Each and every time I compete it brings me back for more of the fun environment, trying to best myself, and always great time around wonderful people sharing laughs all the time.

I would first like to thank my wonderful girlfriend Brittany for accompanying me for the entire trip. The company for the car rides and the best cheering section at the games all day long, even battling the chilly Florida weather. I would also like to thank the Judges KC Cummings and Scott Medlin for allowing me to throw! And the guys who had made the trip as well - YOLO! hahaha

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/24/14 at 5:43pm
Time to get it together...

OK so...time to stop being fat, lazy, and unmotivated and really get back in the swing of things. Time to get rid of the excuses and start putting back in the effort. I haven't done much lately in terms of training the past 2 weeks around the Central Florida games, and even had slacked leading up to the Central Florida games.

So...I am working on a plan this weekend for my training leading up to the start of the spring throwing season that begins April 5th in Columbia! Then going to have a template together for the "in-season" spring throwing season so that I can adapt my training on-the-go heading right into a lot of throwing. Not trying to drop off my lifting as much as I did last year.

Also, in terms of diet...I am planning on trying "gluten free" for the month of February. I have read more and more on it and going to see how I feel overall in doing so. Spending the weekend to plan my entire month of February's diet out for ease of cooking and grocery shopping and getting myself into a schedule as I really need it around work and life to stay on track. Once it's in place, I am usually good to go.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/14 at 9:34pm
Weekend Training - Getting Back After It

1/25/14 Olympic Lifts: Goal was to get a current max on each lift

Snatch
135x2
155x1
175x1
185x1
195x1 shaky
205x1
215x1
225x miss x4
220x miss

Clean and Jerk
205x1
235x1
255x1 sloppy
275x1 little better, sloppy recover after the jerk
295x miss jerk

Pullups
bw x 15
bw x 12
bw x 15 broken into a bunch of sets. just spent.

Went into today pretty unmotivated and the misses in the snatch were frustrating. Clean and Jerks were equally as frustrating, but in hindsight I haven't had the volume up in either of them so I need to be satisfied with where I am at right now. Need to keep up the consistency.

1/26/14 Upper Press Session - Somewhat easy

Bench - w/ 70lbs chain
135 + chain x5
155 + chain x5
175 + chain x5
195 + chain x5
215 + chain x5

Band Pullaparts 5x15 w/ monster mini onyx band

Strict Overhead Press
95x10
115x10
135x10 waaay too hard for what it should be. Definitely need to get the overhead press strength back and consistent.
115x10

Bentover Rows
140x15 x4 just easy to throw this much on the bar

EZ Bar Curls 3 sets
Band Pushdowns 3 sets
Ab Wheel x goof off

Lifted with my girlfriend the past 2 weekend days and she did amazing. Was more motivated today and didn't try to over-push anything. Bench felt good, decently fast but nothing too too heavy. The last set was a little slower than I would have liked. Still working on putting together a solid training plan. Know I now have 10 weeks before my next highland games April 5th.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/14 at 7:19pm
1/27/14 Snatch and Squat

Been fighting a slight bit of a cold. Scratchy throat and nose is starting to drain more and more by the hour, but not bad. Feeling pretty good today. A little stiff around the shoulders. Still easing into things.

Seated Box Jumps
3x5 from seat on 11" box to 27" in box. Trying to land as straight-legged as possible

Snatch Complex
- Power snatch, high hang snatch, drop snatch
95x2
115x1
135x1
155x1
175x1

Squats
135x5
225x5
275x5
315x5
add belt
365x5

Messed around with a little accessory work to see what some stuff was feeling like...

GMs 135x10
Lunges 95x10 per leg
Single Leg Squats 95x6 per leg

Sheaf "Bottoms Up" Tosses x 10 throws

Not 100% during this session today. Need to do better on sleep for sure. Snatches felt a little unsteady on my shoulders, and squats felt harder than they should, but it has been a little bit since I have squatted. Was a little strapped on time and just messed around with the accessory lifts to see how things felt and to gauge on where I may need to focus some work.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/14 at 10:17pm
1/29/14 Upper

Still fighting this bit of sickness. A bit bogged down going into this session but meds and a good workout helped me feel better afterwards. "Snow day" in Charlotte had people freaking out so I didn't have many clients and got to train early.

Bench Press
135x10
185x8
225x5
275x3
325x1 felt great. smoked it.

Close Grip (at 65% of my heaviest bench today)
210x10 x2
210x9

Incline DB Bench 40x10, 50x10, 60x10, 70x10

CSR 45x10, 70x10, 90x10, 115x10, 135x10
Incline Tate Press 40x10 x2, 45x10, 50x10, 55x10

Dips bw for 3x15
Standing Calf Raises 3x15

Med Ball Throws
about 30 minutes worth of different types of throws with a couple different size med balls

Night:
Band Pushdowns 4x25 w/ doubled mini band
Hanging Leg Raises 3x15

Bench is starting to feel better and better each week. Just need to consistently keep it in my training, even if it's not a focus. Pressing strength should carryover to the stone put! Getting my overhead strength back in line too. All the med ball throws were great and something I am going to try to keep up when the weather is bad and if I have free time at the gym.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/14 at 11:54pm
Past 2 Training Sessions

Friday 1/31/14 Lower

Clean and Jerks
work sets 5 singles at 85% and 93%
235 for 5 singles
255 for 5 singles - some of the jerks a little sloppy

Clean Pulls - beltless
305 for 3x3

Front Squats
225 for 3x8

Short today. Was a little jammed on time. Decent session, definitely wanted to get more in.

2/2/14 Super Bowl Sunday!

Braemar Throws w/ Reverse

5 throws w/ 25lb med ball

5 throws w/ 16lb med ball

Push Press
135x5
165x3
185x1
205x1
225x1
245x1
255x1
205x5 x3 (80% of 255)

3-Board Bench w/ 70lbs chain
135+chain x10
155+chain x10
175+chain x10
195+chain x8
215+chain x6
225+chain x4

Pullups 5x8 bw

Fat Bar Curls for 3 sets
Some band pullaparts and some band pushdowns.

Semi-short on time again. Really liking getting back towards my old pressing strength. Continuing my focus back on my overhead and be

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/03/14 at 7:18pm
2/3/14 Awesome Snatch/Squat Day

Going into today my right hip and low back have been giving me some fits. But managed an awesome day today.Also, today marks the start of my month-long gluten-free diet. Read up on it and have some support to do it so just going to see how I feel and how my health goes.

Barbell Squat Jumps
95lbs for 3 sets of 5

Snatches Off Blocks
95x3
135x2
155x1
165x1
175x1
185x1
195x1 knew they were feeling good here
205x miss
205x1
210x 2 misses (barely)
210x1
217x1 PR! Higher than current "full snatch" PR

Squats
135x5
225x5
add belt (since back had been bothering me...playing it safe)
275x5
315x3
345x3
385x5 ties best 5RM ever

Barbell Hip Thrusts (first 5 with pause, second 5 as explosive as possible)
205x10
305x10 x3

Standing Ab Wheel 3x7
- not super super strict here, add a pad under my knees which slightly touch. still plenty hard.

Just an all out awesome training session. Turned out much better than I expected.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/09/14 at 8:13pm
Past Week - Been Busy

Wednesday 2/5/13 Upper

Speed Bench w/ 1 band (at work odd setup)
145 for 9 sets of 3

Commence shoulder pain...So I messed up my right shoulder somehow Monday doing snatched. Just think it was an over-straining. Bothered me Monday and bad Tuesday but was feeling ok until after bench. Too much too soon. So finished up with a bunch of arms.

Preacher Curls
Overhead French Press
DB Hammer Curls
Cable Curl 100 set
Tricep Cable Kickbacks

Upright Hamstring Curls
Calf Raises

Just trying to get in a little extra work on my lagging hamstrings. Trying to hit calves once to twice a week to prevent debilitating soreness.

Friday 2/7/13 Lower

Front Squats
135x5
185x5
225x3
275x1
add belt
295x1
315x1
335x1
355x1 PR
365x1 PR

Pause Squats Deeeeep (pause was "1 and 2 and up)
225x3
275x3
315x3
add belt
365x1 PR

Barbell Hip Thrusts
135x20
225x10
315x5
405x5

Leg Extension 4x30 holy pump batman!

Upright Leg Curl and Machine RDL Superset 3x15 each
- almost vommed

Awesome Awesome Day today.

Saturday 2/8/13
10 40-yd Sprints

Sunday 2/9/13 - Still taking it easy on this shoulder. Just trying to hold off maybe another week. Killed me to not throw on this purty day outside today.

High Block Cleans
95x3
115x3
135x3
185x1
205x1
225x1
245x1
255x1
265x1
275x1 (matches current "from floor" clean and jerk PR_
285x1

295x miss

Some easy overhead work with just the bar and a little bit of band shoulder and rotator cuff work. Continued to take it pretty easy. Shoulder is fine after just the cleans.

Diet Update:
Well today marks the end of Week 1 of my gluten free diet. It has been ok so far. Getting some cravings here and there, for things like pizza and other snack foods. To note anything so far at a week in, I can only think to say that I might feel like I am having more energy. Not getting super hungry between meals, but part of that is my increased food intake this week. Trying to get my macros a bit more in check as well while on the gluten free thing. Spent a good chunk of time tonight meal prepping for this upcoming week. Trying to plan it 1 week at a time to keep it a easy going for me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/14 at 7:22pm
2/10/14 Squat

I was dragging all day today. Got home from work and tried to nap and couldn't. Ate some food and delayed training as long as possible, trying to get motivated. Once I got going it went well though.

Squat
135x5
225x5
275x3
315x3
belt on
365x3
405x5 PR!
405x1 paused PR ("1 and 2 and up" was the pause length)

315x10

Single Leg Squats
95x10 x3 each leg

Had 2 phone calls during the training session, and I am still pretty beat up from Friday so decided to cut it a little short. Plan is to get in a little extra hamstring work again Wednesday and then hit some sort of squats again Friday. Crappy weather this week and right shoulder is still a bit "iffy" so going to take it easy throwing and on the upper body stuff.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/15/14 at 12:07pm
2/11/14 Some Cardio stuff
Row 1000m in 5 mins
Rest
Row 500m 1:48
Rest
Row 500m 1:43

Never really used a rower before. Don't know what's good, how far, how long etc. I think next time I do it I'll drop my pace and go for 20-30mins

2/12/14 Upperish

Trained while training a client today, so my focus wasn't completely in it.  Still staying away from my shoulder, which is doing much better but trying to not push it too fast too soon.

Lat Pulldowns x bunch of sets of 10 working up
Chest Supported Row x  bunch of sets of 8 working up
Hammer Strength CSR x bunch of sets of 10 working up
Some Preacher Curls and Overhead French Press x some

2/12 through 2/13
Lots of sledding/hiking up hills around the Charlotte Snowpocalypse!!!

2/14/13 Lower

Depth Jumps for 3x5 no idea on box heights

Block Cleans
135x3
185x3
225x2
255x2 x3

Deadlifts (w/ straps)
315x1
365x1
add belt
405x1
455x1
495x1
525x1 woo

Didn't get much else in as I cooked dinner for the lady for Valentine's Day. Shoulder is doing much better. Might try some lighter snatches this coming Monday (and yes staying light) so I can try to press something again this coming Wednesday. Cleans felt really fast and good today. Decided to deadlift for the first time in a while and wanted to see how they felt pushing to a heavy single. The 495 felt pretty good so pushed a little more and didn't feel as good. Still happy that I can pull 500 on just about any day. With all the Olympic Lift variations, I think I am going to start mixing back in a little bit of something that resembles deadlifts. All in all a shorter but solid day. Going rock climbing all day Saturday for V-Day as well! Really need to get some throwing in ASAP!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/16/14 at 7:22pm
2/15/14 Rock Climbing Day Date with the Lady

Went rock climbing at an indoor climbing facility for a Valentine's Day date. Spent over 4 hours climbing. Had to stop at that point due to grip and forearms failing to continue to work. Had a ton of fun, worked my grip, forearms, and lats hard. Smoked. Tired. Sore.

2/16/14 Upper Work - Testing out the Shoulder

My right shoulder (pretty much figured out to be a supraspinatus strain) has been on the upside of feeling better - and didn't bother me at all yesterday rock climbing. So figured I would test it out tonight with some snatches and upper work.

Very thorough warmup w/ shoulder prehab type movements too.

Snatches - rest of around 1:30 between reps
Work Sets: Singles starting at 70kg with 1kg jumps all the way up to 85kg
Had a miss at 78kg (just rushed it) and then a few misses at 85kg before getting it.
Really noticed fatigue setting in as weights increased. Bar speed felt slower.

Snatch Grip Sotts Press
20kg x5
25kg x5
30kg x5
35kg x5 pr
never done this exercise before. a lot harder than it looks.

Bench Press - nice and easy seeing how the shoulder would feel
pinkie on ring grip
45x10
95x1
135x10
185x10
225x10

Standing Band Horizontal Row 4x15

DB Lateral and Front Raises
1x50 w/ 5lb db's each way

Really happy with my shoulder tonight. Going to keep it easy working back into things. Need to get to throwing more this week weather permitting.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/17/14 at 8:19pm
2/17/14 Squat Day

Got in a lift at work today in the morning. Tough to get it going at 9am for a PR squat but somehow got it done! Low back is still feeling a little off from the deadlifts on Friday.

Squats
up to
335x3
390x1 beltless PR
add belt
425x3 PR!
335x10

Upright 1-Leg Leg Curl
35x10, 45x10, 55x10

Ab Wheel 3x5 standing
- could definitely tell it has been a while for these

Leg Extension
3x30 w/ 10 sec isometric at the end(10 each toes out, toes in, toes straight)
125, 140, 155lbs

Lunges 1x25 per leg with bodyweight

Whew! What a session. Felt "great"...really was a tough session but love them. Putting in the tough work with the lower body sessions is going to pay off.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/20/14 at 8:14pm
2/20/14 Upper

Running on literally no sleep, practically no food, and after a 12-hour day of training clients, I don't know how I pulled this session out.

Lots of shoulder mobility and prehab movements for warmup. Right shoulder (strained supraspinatus) has gotten better and really not bothering me anymore.

Broad Jumps set of 5

3 Rounds:
6 Pullups
15 Standing Band Rows

Bench Press
bar x 20
95x12
135x10
185x10
225x5
275x3
315x1
340x1 current PR
add slingshot
365x1  - haven't held this much in my hands in a long time now

Snatch Grip Sotts Press
20kg x5 x2
29kg x5
39kg x5
47kg x5 PR
53kg x3 PR

Lateral Delt Raises 1x50 w/ 5lb db's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/22/14 at 7:04pm
2/21/14 Arms

Trained arms with my friend Thomas (the bodybuilder from work haha) again...ouch.

BB Curls superset with DB Hammer Curls x multiple sets of 10

BB Preachers superset with DB Curls x multiple sets of 10

Tricep Rope Pushdowns x bajillion

Dips 3x20

Rope Bicep Cable Curls x bajillion

Arm cramps later in the day. Got a ton of volume in in an hour and 15 mins

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/22/14 at 7:20pm
2/22/14 Olympic Lift Max Out
Had my good friend and oly lifter Justin Lovingood over to hit some Olympic lifts. I decided to max out since it had been a while since I did last.

Snatch (in lbs)
worked up to
204 miss
224 (102 kg) current PR
228 miss x3

Clean and Jerk (in lbs)
worked up to
285 (129.5kg) pr
303 (137.5kg) current PR

317 (144kg) x miss - would have been all-time PR

So finished 102/137.5 for a 239.5kg total, which is only 8.5kg off my best ever Olympic lifting total, which came at a time this past fall when I was hitting Olympic lifts 5 days a week and now only hitting snatches 1x per week and C&J 1x per week. So happy with today, especially first day really pushing both after my taking time down for my shoulder to recover.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/14 at 6:27pm
2/24/14 Squat day

Squat
up to
315x3
belt on
365x1
405x1
445 x miss
225x2
315x1
365x1
385x1
405x1
425x1
435 x miss
365x5
385x3
405x1

Walk close to 3 miles while on the phone. Had a tough day today. Mentally not all with it, not enough sleep, not enough food.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/26/14 at 6:23pm
2/26/14 Oly Lifts and Throws

High Hang Snatch (in kg)
60kg x2
70kg x2
80kg x2
85x miss
93 (204.6lbs)
97 miss
97kg (213.4lbs) - might be a PR

High Hang Clean + Jerk (in kg)
85kg x2
125 (275lbs) sloppy
130x miss

Caber - 6 picks, walks, and pulls. Reeeally smooth. 

WOB (48lbs) - about 12 throws. Knocking the rust off. About 75% of the throws were good. Threw at 12' bar and 13-13'6" bar (not 100% sure) most cleared 12 easy.

Sheaf - maybe 12ish throws. Reeeeally smooth again. Some really solid pulls at the end too, prob in the 26-28 ft. range.

Had a really good day today. The oly lifts were hangs at my friend Justin Lovingood's suggestion. Didn't over-push it, my right shoulder was feeling a little unstable during clean and jerk. Throws went really well with no practice since the Central Florida games. Promising season ahead. Can't wait for the weather to cooperate a bit more for more throws practice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/01/14 at 7:00pm
3/1/14 Oly Lifts and Throws

Oly Lift Max Out Session

Snatch
92kg
97kg
103kg current PR
106kg (233lbs) ALLTIME PR
108 x 3 close misses

Clean and Jerk
102kg
111kg
120kg
130kg
138kg current PR
145kg x 2 misses

Totaled 244kg (106/138)

Very Narrow Stance Squats (beltless)
70kg x3
120kg x3
150kg x3

Throws Session

1-Turn LWFD
10 throws, average of  46ft, best of 50ft

2-Turn LWFD
10 throws, average of 51ft, best of 54ft

12lb shot put with reverse
5 throws, average of 38ft, best of 39.5ft

12lb shot with glide
5 throws, average of 42ft, best of 43ft

Sheaf
about 10 throws, super consistent, few right around 30ft

Great training day. Got bored and got in some unplanned throwing. Happy with how the oly lifts went. Happy with my my first LWFD practice. I think my best ever with my weight is 58 which translated to 65 in comp, so happy with not much drop off. Stone (shot) needs more work and consistency - could feel my elbow giving me some problems after the oly lifts. Sheaf is the most consistent right now and loving how it feels.
PaulEvans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/02/14 at 7:45am
Strong lifts buddy!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/02/14 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by PaulEvans PaulEvans wrote:

Strong lifts buddy!

Thanks Paul. Can't wait for Tartan Fest!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/02/14 at 7:40pm
3/2/14 Highland Games Throwing Practice

Standing 12lb Shot w/ Reverse
5 throws, average of 37'9", best of 39'1"

12lb Shot Glides
10 throws, average of 42'3", best of 44'10"

48lb HWFD
10 throws, average of 27'8", best of 30'3"

23lb LWFD
10 throws, average of 62', best of 65'10"

Caber
6 picks. A little more unstable than last practice.

Sheaf
around 10 throws. A bit more inconsistent than last practice. But was focusing on pulling hard.

WOB
3/5 over at 12'
1/5 over at 13'
0/3 at 14'

Hammer Winds
Don't know how many I did or for how many winds. Was going to go to the fields to throw but had to go pick up a washing machine with my dad.

Enjoyed the wonderful weather in Charlotte today and threw for around 3 hours. Still need more work. I liked using the lighter weights in the weights for distance. Think I am going to stay there to have a better idea of where my throws actually are at. My weight seems to "fly" shorter than games' weights. Still had a decent session today despite being pretty sore/fatigued from yesterdays Oly lifts and throws.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/03/14 at 7:58pm
3/3/14 Squats and Deads

Speed Squats
275lbs bar weight + 70lbs of chain
10 sets of 3, 1 min rest between sets

"Speed" Deadlifts (all with 70lbs chain)
135x3
225x3
275x2
315x3
365x3
405x3
455x3

Ab Wheel 3x15 Kneeling
Some other random accessory work.

So wasn't feeling so hot all day and a little sore from all the weekend training going into this session. Shifting to more "speed" type work for the next month to transition into the throwing season.Still going to try and keep accessory (and volume somewhat) up for this month then drop it down as the "spring throwing season" kicks in. Deadlifts felt pretty good so kept pushing them - much better than expected going into today's session.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/03/14 at 8:27pm
DIET UPDATE!

So I just completed an entire month of a gluten-free diet and wanted to give my thoughts and a bit of an update. I read the book "Wheat Belly" and would highly suggest it to anyone interested in gaining an insight into their health and for a better understanding on why people choose to avoid gluten in their diets even if they are not intolerant to it (Celiac's disease).

So...'the results'...nothing excitingly stands out. However, I was in a fairly healthy state going into this and it wasn't all too far off from my normal diet. I have noticed some positive body composition changes within the past month - nothing crazy - but could also just be from being more conscious of my diet. I would say that my personal biggest benefit (yet not measurable) is a general overall better day-to-day feeling. I feel like as of late I have had more energy and my body has just felt better throughout the workdays, even with my struggle to get adequate sleep. It could also be helping my gym performance as I have been lifting better in the gym as of late, but very tough to draw direct correlations there.

So the positives for this diet for me:
1) It make me plan my meals more as to make sure to avoid gluten. This also helps with my general daily macronutrient intake levels as well as I have tended to be more conscious, but really I haven't counted much of anything (just have an idea).
2) The general feeling of feeling better from eating healthier
3) Avoiding packaged foods in order to avoid gluten.
4) Being more conscious of where, when, and what I am eating when going out and grocery shopping
5) Not eating out as much = saving some $
6) Still being able to find ways to indulge that are gluten-free

The negatives to this diet for me are:
1) Dang it's kinda tough. haha
2) Really one of my biggest struggles was just being around gluten-containing foods, mainly around my house. With being my only family member doing such diet, there is still plenty of "bad" food around to tempt me.
3) Having to be more "picky" when trying to go out to eat. That has been a tough route.
4) It can be annoying picking through everything you are shopping for to see if it contains gluten. This is a BIG one.
5) Breaking the old habit I have had of eating whatever I want whenever I want (which can be a positive I guess)
6) Beer. No shame in saying it. But the brand 'Omission' has a really good lager that I would have never known was gluten-free if you hadn't told me.
7) Not being able to have my classic "comfort" foods that are the 'go-to' or 'always in the mood for' type of foods. Pizza has been a tough one. Need to make my own to get my fix, so far Brixx and Mellow Muchroom haven't quite cut it with their gluten-free pizzas in terms of cost efficiency.

SO in lieu of all this, what am I going to do going forwards??? Well, for the most part I am going to stay gluten-free. I wish I would have had blood work done pre- and post- this diet to see if there were any noticeable differences there. Also, 1 month really isn't THAT long of a diet, so hopefully a longer time frame will show more significant results. Basically going to stay away from gluten in most aspects but not going to fret as much when eating out with friends or special occasions, etc. And def want to get back to having a craft brew here and there. I did just eat a piece of my dad's birthday cake halfway through writing this, so I am interested in seeing if I run into any stomach issues with the re-introduction of gluten in my system. If anyone has any questions or want more information about this, please don't hesitate to ask me. Once again I recommend you looking into it a little bit, and if not gluten-free, try to continue to remain more conscious of what you are putting into your body. When you really take a step back and look at it, it can be pretty crazy!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/05/14 at 7:52pm
3/5/14 Attempt at Upper

Push Press
135x5
185x3
205x3
225x3
245x2

BTN Power Jerks
135x5
155x5
175x5

That was it. I was just too tired and unmotivated to do anymore today. Didn't get very much sleep last night and worked from 5am - 6:30pm today almost straight. Have an hour and a half break in the morning at work that I am going to get in some more upper work then try to throw tomorrow afternoon.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/07/14 at 8:20pm
3/6/14 Chest

DB Flat Bench
sets of 10 working up to 90x10
110x6, 110x5
65x15

Hammer Strength Incline 5x15

Pec Fly Machine with Max Pushups 4 sets

Lateral Delt Raises and Band Pullaparts x some

Got this in on a break in my morning at work. Nothing too spectacular. Just getting in some more work after last night's poor session.

3/7/14 Arms and Calves

Warmup

Barbell Curls 5 sets
Incline Skull Crush 5 sets
Close Grip Bench 4x15
Lat Pulldown Curls 3x20
Seated DB Curls 3x10 per arm
Tricep Cable Giant Set 2x100
DB Hammer Curls 3 sets
Calf Raise Superset 5x10 seated, 5x10 standing

Trained Hard today with Thomas. This Bodybuilding style is tough but a great stimulus to the body that is something I normally don't do. Great to have a different experience. My mind just doesn't quite pick and pair exercises like his does.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/09/14 at 7:09pm
Saturday

Got out and threw in Hickory with Travis Gardner, Jeff Crouch, and Eric Frasure. It was a bit muddy so stones and weights weren't great, but hammer went awesome. Best it has ever gone. Hoping for some big PRs soon! New technique on WOB felt great - more fine tuning to come. Sheaf went very consistent and good as of late, until I broke a tine off my fork on one of the throws. Well...at least I was with the guy who made it (Travis) so he is taking it to fix. No sheaf in the mean time.

Sunday

Threw a little bit, but was pretty beat up. 12lb shot went pretty good. HWFD wasn't the best ever but was definitely feeling beat up there. Then 23lb LWFD went very well. My thumb needs some rest haha

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/10/14 at 6:51pm
 3/10/14 Lower Session

Depth Jumps 3x5

"Speed"Squats w/ 70lbs chain
up to
225+chain x3
275+chain x1
295+chain x3 x3 felt kind of heavy and not too speedy. Could just be taxed from throwing past 2 days.
275+chain x2 w/ onyx mini added
decided i was too heavy for speed. dropped bar weight, started toying with some bands
225+chain+2 bands x2 x2
225+chain+3 bands x2 x2
225+chain+4 bands x1 x2 
ended up with a mini, monster mini, onyx mini, and onyx monster mini (onyx bands from elitefts.com). Had the bands set up interesting too...had them double wrapped around the bottom rack support for a little more tension with how I had it setup. Next time going to just start with more band.

Snatch Grip High Pulls
255x3 x5 from a 1.5" deficit. Hellooooo Hamstrings

Accessory:
Pullups 3x8
Band Pull Throughs 3x10 average band
Abs x little bit
Hammer Winds x few
 - Abs were smoked from hammer on Saturday and the throwing yesterday. Wanted to get some WOB practice in but had a new potential client (Now NEW client! Woo!) show up early. Pretty solid day. Really nice to train in the garage with the weather today.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
  Share Topic