Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Justin Blatnik

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222324
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/20 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by TomLawrence TomLawrence wrote:

Originally posted by JustinBlatnik JustinBlatnik wrote:

- spent the day in the waiting room of a surgery center as my fiance had hip surgery. Body hated me and I was tired and worn out.

I hope everything worked out Justin.  That's no fun.

I'm going to try to make Tartan Day South in April, if they have room for me.  Hope to see you there, brother.

Tom

Hey Tom, thank you and things are going well for her. Just the recovery road now. I will not be at Tartan Day - I'll be at Dunedin in Tampa, FL. My fiancé's brother lives down there, so we get to go to the beach, I go fishing, she visits with college friends and family, and this year we are planning on Busch Gardens. Just sucks that it's the same weekend as Tartan, which is like 1:15 from my house. But I enjoy the vacation haha
JustinBlatnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/20 at 2:17pm
2/9
Stone Throws
Light Hammer
- it wasn't all that good. That's about enough to say haha

2/10

SSB Box Squat vs Avg Bands 5x2
333/344/355/366/377
- paired with 2 box jumps per set

SSB Suspended Good Morning/WOB mimic Hybrid Thing 3x5

3" Deficit RDLs vs Mini Bands 3x8 70/90/110kg

RFE Split Squat 3x6 53lbs
Ab Wheel 3x6

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/11/20 at 6:46pm
2/11

Push Press 105kg 3x5
Bench Press 140kg 3x4
Pullups 3x8
DB OHP 3x12 55s

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/18/20 at 8:35am
2/14 
13 miles of walking with a backpack sprayer for landscaping job. I was spent

2/15 Inaugural Asheville, NC Celtic Fest
Braemar - 32' yuck. needs work
Open Stone - 39'+, not terrible for me in these conditions
HWFD - 29'+, yuck. To make excuses, I was fatigued from yesterday and cautious of the footing.
16lb Sheaf - 30'. Went decent. Been working a different technique and didnt have enough for 32'. Bag did pick up some water as we went but who knows if it was significant.
WOB - 13', cleared 12 and 13' on 1st attempts, then couldnt touch 14'. ugh
Caber - 12:00, they weren't the biggest.
Overall - 2nd

This was a fun little games. First year, decent turnout for the festival. Too small of field for LWFD or Hammers. It was cold and the ground was quite soggy. Hats off to Thor, he threw great all day in the conditions. Definitely more work to do but ok with this for being February and all things considered.

2/16 - Quick Upper Pump sesh before All you can eat sushi

2/17 ME LOWER

Cambered Bar Box Squat 5x2
370 bar weight, 1,2,3,3,3 chains per side for the sets

Cambered Bar Suspended GMs 4x5
150 bar weight, 0,1,2,3 chains per side for the sets

Belt Squat 4x10 225 pretty quick
GHR 3x8
45-degree back extensions 3x20 - YES BACK PUMP

B_McCraw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B_McCraw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/18/20 at 9:56am
Wow, what a shitty HWFD
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/20 at 6:00am

2/14 
Overall - 2nd

Excellent, especially considering the conditions.
Aim high. Stay hungry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/20 at 2:09pm
2/18 ME Upper

Jammer Punches 5x5
Bench Press up to 5 at 330lbs
Slingshot 5 at 352lbs
Lat Pulldowns 4x10
Jammer OHP 4x10

2/19
Power Snatch + Snatch
up to 3 sets at 90kg
Snatch Singles at 95,100,105kg

Power Clean + C&J
singles at 70,90,100,110kg
3 sets at 120kg

Clean Pulls 4x3 150kg

Back Squats 10x2 130kg every 45 sec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/20 at 1:18pm
2/21 Upper
Speed Bench 9x3
Push Press 110kg 3x5
3-Board Bench 3x10 140kg
Pullups 5x6
Side Delt Raise 5x10

Felt great on this day. Tired of the snow and rain. I know, I'm a pre-madonna when it comes to throwing in this weather.

2/22 - back "tweaked" out this morning a little. Not the worst ever.
Bunch or rehab work
Reverse Hyper - 8x10 working up in weight. Felt great
Belt Squat 4x5
1-Leg 45-deg back ext 2x8ea

2/23 Landscaping
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/25/20 at 7:03am

Tired of the snow and rain. I know, I'm a pre-madonna when it comes to throwing in this weather.

I hear you man.  If my trig is going to turn to slippery mud after a couple of throws, I just am not willing to risk blowing out a knee to save a practice.  I'll move on to WOB or try again another day.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/25/20 at 8:05am
...sick of snow

..you know nothing of snow, grasshopper
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/27/20 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by TheJeff696 TheJeff696 wrote:

...sick of snow

..you know nothing of snow, grasshopper

it's not enough for fun, just enough for annoyance. and really it's just all the rain. It stays flooded on my throwing area behind the gym.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/27/20 at 1:12pm
Yeah that does suck. I would take rain over snow, but, I've made my geographic choices lol
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/27/20 at 4:47pm
2/24

Belt Squat w/ bands - 3's up to 455+bands
Belt Squat Pauses no bands 315 for 3x5
Hammer Winds 3x10 winds each direction nice and slow 22lb hammer

2/25
Bench w/ 70lb weight releasers
Doubles up to 341lbs
353x5 w/ releasers on first rep. Lifetime 5RM.

Something is coming around, wish it were my throws and oly lifts and not my bench haha but I'll take it.

2/26 Just rehab work

2/27
HWFD 10 throws

Duffalo Bar Box Squats w/ Light Bands
275lbs bar weight, 7 sets, 0 chains to 7 chains 
- paired w/ 5 KB Swings 71lbs
- paired w/ 3 band assisted jumps

Speed Deads 130kg+ minis 8x1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/01/20 at 9:19pm
2/28 
HWFD 10 throws - went pretty damn good
WOB - 8 throws, meh. it's wob.
Light Upper stuff afterwards. And some reverse hyper.

2/29
Easy Upper
Snatch Grip Hi Hang Hi Pulls - few sets of 5
Reverse Hyper x some
-lots of rehab work
Threw Some Shot Puts. Was Average.

3/1
Back has been real tweaky lately. Today was the worst. Finally got things "back in line" and somewhat trained. Not sure if it's from reverse hyper 2 days in a row or if it was sleeping with my feet elevated. Feet elevated are helping my hip pain when sleeping/waking up. Trying to get it all figured out fast.

Belt Squat vs bands - 5's up to 455
Lots of stabilizing core work - planks, side planks, stir the pot, bodysaws, deadbugs
Power Cleans - up to 135kg. Got 2 singles, then hit 3 pulls as I started to get scared.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/07/21 at 1:36pm
Well...2020 sucked didn't it? So here's an update on me for anyone that still gets on here beside THE Jeff Kaste. 

I joined the Charlotte Fire Department! My academy started October 12th, 2020 and due to 2 difference 2 week covid quarantines we are slated to get out May 21, 2021.

I threw 3 games in 2020, with very little training other than what led into the Arnold. The Arnold was weird and awesome all in one. Competed with a tough group and didnt have the best day but I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. Then threw 1 games in August just for fun and popped out a HUGE HWFD PR at 37' out of nowhere. I'll take it. 

Squatted a lifetime PR in September of 501lbs in sleeves only. Benched 402 in May for a raw PR. Thats all I can really remember.

In June, I started to run and did a lot of crossfit-esk type training to prepare for the Academy. Thier PT is kinda crappy for me...we don't lift heavy or explosive except for heavy bench. Lots of bw/sandbag type crossfit, circuit work, and running. 11 weeks left of the academy and I can get back after it.

I feel weak as hell right now. I was in hella good shape going into the academy and have gotten worse. I have tried to hold back doing anything extra as to not risk injury because if I get hurt outside the academy then Im out of a job. 

SO now starting to slowly add a little back in.

3/6/21
Speed Free Squats
Cambered Bar + 2 heavy chains/side 200lbs 8x2

Speed Deads vs monster minis 265bs 6x2 1 rep conventional 1 rep sumo
- paired with a 50lb sandbag toss after each rep

Reverse Hyper 3x15

- I'm hoping throwing that sandbag will translate to wob. It's more fun, easier to setup, easier on my hands/thumbs lol

3/7/21
Hi Hang Snatch 3's 40/50/60/70/75/80kg
1 Clean + 3 FSQ 60/70/80/90/100kg

Just feeling out the oly movements. Like I said previously, not trying to push anything too crazy yet and just trying to spend the next few months re-acclimating.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/07/21 at 5:08pm
You're right. I am here still. 

Congrats on the new job man, that's awesome! 

I hope 2021 is a little better than 2020 but honestly, I am not holding my breath. Train like there will be some comps, though! And stay healthy! 

Glad to see more than just me and Andy Crowley on here. 
Jeff Kaste

Jeremy Robinson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Robinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/07/21 at 7:01pm
You still managed to squeeze in a good year. Glad to see your log on here again.
Larry Satchwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Satchwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/08/21 at 6:53am
I read this everyday.  I wouldn’t post my workouts because they are lame compared to the guys that still post here. Mainly kettle bell stuff, body weight, some bands, rowing, stationary bike.  At my age, just fighting rusting joints and trying to keep moving.

Congratulations on new job Justin.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/08/21 at 12:26pm
Excellent update Justin.  Multiple versions of PR in a crap year.

Oh and hey Jeremy!

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/18/21 at 3:46pm
So I have once again sucked at updating the log. I'm going to say I hope that getting out of the academy will bring some normalcy to my throwing and training again. 5 weeks to go, nothing new lately and very sporadic training. 

We did have about 2.5 weeks of BRUTAL days in the academy where we hardly did any PT around those days but I couldn't do any extra anyways. We're talking 3 gallons of fluids a day and pretty much sleep as soon as I got home in the evenings.

LOCH NORMAN HIGHLAND GAMES (they did an "athlete's only" festival)

Braemar - 32'
Open Stone 38'
HWFD - 31'
LWFD - 65'
Heavy Hammer - 97'
Light Hammer - 114'
Caber - 55? degrees
16lb sheaf - 30'
WOB - 13'
Overall: 1st of 4

As mentioned before I have been hesitant to train much outside of the academy as if injury occurs I am out of a job. My brother talked me into throwing this games just as a "put marks on the board for the start of the year" type event. And I'm glad I did. The smack talk and comradery was so nice to have back in my life. That made the day. And then I threw about what I expected/a little better, all things considered not much lifting or throwing training. Stones were a typical blah for me (I notice with no practice they go to shit the fastest). Definitely a lot on the table in the weights but technique was decent. Hammers were much better than expected, especially the heavy (im feeling that today). Caber was the pro stick and a pretty big one at that. Just feel weak and not powerful right now for that event but that should come around later this year hopefully. We then threw WOB and my first throws at 12 and 13' felt great but then left them out front at 14'. Sheaf was probably my biggest surprise on the day as we were lucky to throw a 16 and I cleared 30' with no misses and just didnt have 32' in me today.

Was fun to share the field with the group we had, especially my brother in his pro debut. As he said in an IG post, this got the fire re-lit in me and I'm excited for what this year can hold! 
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/19/21 at 6:11am
Good work Justin.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/02/21 at 1:28pm
GREENVILLE HIGHLAND GAMES

Open Stone - 41'11"
HWFD - 31'4"
LWFD - 68-69' I think
22lb Hammer - 100'1"
Caber - 3 turns
16lb Sheaf - 33'
WOB - 13'
Overall - 1st

Fun day today with some consistency there. Still not much lifting/training or practice over the past 2 weeks. Got a 49lb weight and threw it in 2 short practices. Open stone was a bit surprising to pop one out that far. HWFD and WOB just need work. I dont feel strong or powerful in either event. LWFD was consistent and a little better than Loch. Def more in the tank from video. Hammer was unexpected, with 6 throws and all of them over 96' I think. Caber was "easy" with a novice level group. Sheaf was the most fun as I got in a battle with Daniel Goulet with him besting me at 34'. Hadn't thrown that high in quite some time. Then on WOB like I said weak and gassed. 
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/03/21 at 3:24pm
Solid work.  Good job Justin.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222324
  Share Topic