FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Albany Games 5.11

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albany Games 5.11
    Posted: 4/06/13 at 9:30am
this is the thread where I let folks not on fb know that the games is May 11th this year. the location has been changed. we're at a ramped up space known as Lincoln Park, dont fret, it still has some ghetto to the sides, but its much nicer and in a bowl, so there's lots of natural seating all the way around. plus i'm hoping to get the city to open the wonderful poolhouse for legit baths.

there will be some pipes this year, just to get the ball rolling. a piping competition will be held next year along with the start of some vendors. the start of an actual festival.
i've had a blast putting this together over the last few years, last year was wonderful and if we get half the personalities back from last year, surely there will be the same amount of camaraderie.

all events, expect to hustle. field meeting at Irish 9a, be sure to have signed the waiver, paid your $20, gotten your t shirt and ticket for lunch from the Two Bears guys. this ground is ripe for blades in hammer, can spin in whatever event you please and the bar is a fixed piece of fiberglass at no less than 10' in width.

there will also be a strongman competition the following day. no need to buy a card, it's $30 and i'm planning to pool the money and give it back as prize money. obv the amount of entries determines payout. Axle DL for reps, fingal finger, max log, keg for distance (planning on setting the Guinness World Record, longest throw to be submitted to them for consideration), weight over bar 42# for all men and then a 10 item junkyard load. vintage style event, expect to see lots of short shirts and tank tops that say "Kaz" on the back. its an event geared towards moving fast and doing something a little different with the same folks you throw with. there will be a masters class. This event starts at 10a, and will be back in the former throws space of Tivoli Park.

dinner the night before and weigh ins for little guys at The Victory Cafe, 8p.
After games cocktails at Wolfs, a local Biergarten.

my house is already full, sorry I cant hold anymore. Duncan, Brezina and Meulenberg are pretty big dudes. if you call the folks at the Townplace Marriot and give the code AlbanyHeavies, they should be able to set you up with $100 rooms. its also one block from Lincoln Park.

fire away with questions, more than happy to answer or help with arrangements.
there will be a surprise the day of throws, expect fun.
im also going to try like hell to get a few kegs brewed up in time to have around on the field for late day chatter.
jammin on the one.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/13 at 10:17am
I'll at least be there for the throwing! Sounds like a blasty blast.
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
vonguinness View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/13 at 10:34am

Ams

Masters

Women

<200

B 40'7.5' Nick Kahanic 2012
31'10" William Donnell 2012
33'2" Lacy Johnson 2012
JVG 29'10.5" 2012

O 51'9.5" Nick Kahanic 2012
40'11" Hapy Mayer 2012
37'8" Lacy Johnson 2012
JVG 39'1" 2012

HWFD 37'7.5" Duncan McCallum 2012
41'8.5" Hapy Mayer 2011
39' .05" Lacy Johnson 2012
Mike Berby 41'8.5" 2011
LWFD 73' Jeff Kaste 2012

58'4.5" Hapy Mayer 2011
68' 6" Lacy Johnson 2012
Mike Berby 58'4.5" 2011
HH 89'.05" Duncan McCallum 2012
71'3.5" Tim Mullally 2012
74'7" Lacy Johnson 2012
JVG 68'8.5" 2012

LH 113' 2.5" Jeff Kaste 2012
88'5" William Donnell 2012
91'.05 Lacy Johnson 2012
JVG 92' 2012

SH 36' Bill Waddell 2012
30' Scott Depanfilis 2011
24' Lacy Johnson 2012
Mike Berby 26' 2011

WFH 15' Jeff Kaste, Duncan McCallum 16' Scott Depanfilis 2011
13' Lacy Johnson 2012
JVG, Berby, Adam Delany 15' 2012
jammin on the one.
Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/08/13 at 9:22am
I'll be there. Hell or high water.

Tom Barrett
Master and under 200 pounds, so whichever category you need another thrower in, put me there.
bigd0g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigd0g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/08/13 at 5:06pm
Doing my best to get there again this year.  It was great fun last year.  I, of course, am traveling for work during the week.

It's awesome that you put the field records in this thread!
Jmckenney View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmckenney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/09/13 at 5:24am
Still rehabbing the knees following surgery, won't be able to compete this year, however I will be there to help out, pull tape, keep score, etc, and to keep Andy (speer) motivated.
thegnome View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/09/13 at 7:24am
Iz is gonna be dere. 
I'm trying to practice my berbyese before the games.  Can't wait to see everybody again.
Andrew G

Vada a bordo CAZZO!!!!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/10/13 at 9:02am

loose roster, mostly what I can remember, if you're not on here, make a not and I'll keep up the edit. sorry if I missed ya, my brain needs a new memory card.

AMS

Kaste
Kahanic
Waddell
Meulenberg
Brezina
Sideleau
Hand
Remeika
Mendoza

Hassard
Plumb
Nicoll
Murphy
Laser
DiNota
Ryan
Emborski

MASTERS
Benderoth
Dillion
Vail
Livingston
Katalinas
Hapy
Mullally
Landrich
Abromowitz
Toland
Conrad
Gustafson

WOMEN
Lacy
Tostevin
Wilkinson
Tonniatti Yanulavich
Shedrick
Patterson
Frolish
Westhelle
McGuire
Benjamin

LW <200
Houghton
Howard
Berby
Lewandowski
J. Sullivan
Delaney
Shaffer
O'Connell
Barrett
Maclean
Gillie
Grassie

Edited by vonguinness - 5/10/13 at 7:45pm
jammin on the one.
Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/10/13 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Marius Marius wrote:

I'll be there. Hell or high water.

Tom Barrett
Master and under 200 pounds, so whichever category you need another thrower in, put me there.

^ You missed one, J. ^
Tom
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/10/13 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by vonguinness vonguinness wrote:

Duncan, Brezina and Meulenberg are pretty big dudes.

this made me lol..

Hoping for a good turnout JVG, sounds like an amazing event. Good luck brother.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/10/13 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by jsully jsully wrote:

Duncan, Brezina and Meulenberg are pretty big dudes.

this made me lol..

Hoping for a good turnout JVG, sounds like an amazing event. Good luck brother.

thanks Jake, much appreciated. Maybe one day I'll have enough cash to afford your greatness in ALB. Wink for reals though, thats no joke.

jammin on the one.
Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/10/13 at 2:43pm
Can I do my weigh in remotely? Cobleskill's an hour away...far enough that I don't want to drive out that way at 8 pm, but not so far that I need to get a room.
Tom
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/10/13 at 4:25pm

Can I do my weigh in remotely? Cobleskill's an hour away...far enough that I don't want to drive out that way at 8 pm, but not so far that I need to get a room.

unfortunately no, even though we're a sport on the fringe, there needs to be some sort of order. sorry.
jammin on the one.
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/10/13 at 4:39pm
That sir is one impressive athletes list.  Well done.Thumbs Up
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
Hapy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/10/13 at 7:21pm
We are bringing a noobie woman competitor along with us - Kerry Westhelle.
Real Men Wear Purple

Tinky Winky Throw Far!

Central Vermont Strength Association
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/10/13 at 7:51pm
24 Ams, that's uber legit. Whats the format going to be like? two separate groups? I dont know if that's fair at all, but so many people in a flight
Jeff Kaste

mike landrich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/13 at 5:48am
Originally posted by TheJeff696 TheJeff696 wrote:

24 Ams, that's uber legit. Whats the format going to be like? two separate groups? I dont know if that's fair at all, but so many people in a flight

24 ams in a one flight for WOB and sheaf and the Masters and womens classes will finish and leave while you guys are still throwing. 
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/13 at 6:50am
Originally posted by mike landrich mike landrich wrote:

24 ams in a one flight for WOB and sheaf and the Masters and womens classes will finish and leave while you guys are still throwing. 

I dont plan on breaking it down into A,B and C's, but we obviously have to run multiple flites. With that in mind, not all flites will be able to go in the traditional order, its just impossible to do that and still have everyone use the same implements.

Surely, there will be "oh it was weird because I started out with hammer" conversation, but I'll accept that criticism in exchange for bringing 50+ folks together to enjoy something we all love.
jammin on the one.
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/13 at 7:54am
Originally posted by mike landrich mike landrich wrote:

Haha.

Actually JVG says he wants to have a repeat of the sheafage form last year.  Imagine 50+ folks doing sheaf together...that would last until the strongman contest started the next day!
www.sportkilt.com
Speer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/13 at 9:22am

Surely, there will be "oh it was weird because I started out with hammer" conversation, but I'll accept that criticism in exchange for bringing 50+ folks together to enjoy something we all love.

Clap
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/13 at 9:29am
I started with hammer for the first Albany games, it wasn't no thaaang. Bring it on!!
Jeff Kaste

Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/13 at 9:35am

unfortunately no, even though we're a sport on the fringe, there needs to be some sort of order. sorry.

I checked last night because I was curious after reading the thread, and I'm over 200 pounds now anyway.
Tom
adambrezina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/13 at 1:51pm
I just wanna throw things and chew bubble gum
Skinny guy trying to get big
Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/13 at 2:35pm
As horrible as that movie is I HAVE to watch it if I'm channel surfing and see it.
Tom
jpfitness1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpfitness1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/13 at 6:06pm
Sounds like a great group of throwers. If possible, maybe a ranking system for the AMS, based on the database, would be helpful in setting up a couple flights. It wouldn't need to be an A and B class, but I think it would make for some competitive flights.
Josh Plumb
I may not be good, but I'm consistent
thegnome View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/13 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by adambrezina adambrezina wrote:

I just wanna throw things and chew bubble gum
Damn...and I'm all out of bubble gum.
Andrew G

Vada a bordo CAZZO!!!!
bigd0g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigd0g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/12/13 at 6:11pm
Got another Women's competitor for you... Hope Benjamin.

It'll be her first games.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/12/13 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by bigd0g bigd0g wrote:

Got another Women's competitor for you... Hope Benjamin.

It'll be her first games.

BOOM!
jammin on the one.
ATost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/13/13 at 8:12am
About time Hope!!!    
"Stand in your own space and know you are there."
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/26/13 at 6:30am
Berle Conrad joins the masters class.
jammin on the one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic