FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

training log: Eddie Brown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: training log: Eddie Brown
    Posted: 3/27/13 at 10:04pm
Wfd today

Did some line drills with 28 in between single turns.

Took some tosses with 56 afterward. Hips aren't swiveling fast enough out ofthe back. Need to work on timing and foot speed out of the back to set up properly for a linear sprint. Overly rotational at this point and coasting out of the box.
Eddie The Brown
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/27/13 at 10:38pm
I see what you did there.. O_o
Lance Creed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lance Creed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/28/13 at 7:39am
Eddie's here?

eddie.brown View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/28/13 at 7:43am
So I just keep posting on this thread to continue my log right?
Eddie The Brown
Lance Creed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lance Creed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/28/13 at 7:49am
Originally posted by eddie.brown eddie.brown wrote:

So I just keep posting on this thread to continue my log right?

Pretty much. 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/28/13 at 8:04am
Speed front squats today @225 10x2
Speed Deads @275 10x1

Fronts appear to be solid form wise and somewhat explosive.

I continue to work on dead form. Getting hands on bar prior to hunkering down for a pull in order to pull shoulders back and build tension in legs on way down. Pulls are still very quady.

Also hit some pull UPS before the speed party.
Eddie The Brown
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/28/13 at 8:06am
too bad you missed the bro sesh..

sets of 20 on shrugs, curls and pushdowns.. all sexy and shit
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/28/13 at 8:13am
Originally posted by jsully jsully wrote:

too bad you missed the bro sesh..

sets of 20 on shrugs, curls and pushdowns.. all sexy and shit

This does sadden me. I suppose I'll have to do backyard monkey bar session to make up for it. Whatchuknow bout monkey bars?
Eddie The Brown
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/28/13 at 8:55am

[QUOTE=jsully]Whatchuknow bout monkey bars?

no no son.. whatCHUknow bout monkey bars?

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/28/13 at 8:59am
I see....

Must be special monkey bars or something.

I just gots the regular kinds.
Eddie The Brown
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/28/13 at 9:01am

I see....

Must be special monkey bars or something.

I just gots the regular kinds.

must be the whip.. yours are ipf approved
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/29/13 at 10:55pm
Wfd am session

Worked with 28 focusing on timing. Jake pointed out that I was reaching with my left foot on sprint instead of keeping knees together and driving through and planting for a big finish. Getting used to this new sprint and trying to keep balance.

Noteworthy single turn drill at 62 feet considering my games PR is 65.

Hammer session at lunch. Nothing measured. Just focused on getting better extension on the left portion of revolutions and not t rexing the finish. Seemed successful on some throws but not consistent yet.
Eddie The Brown
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/01/13 at 10:12pm
Just Deads today. Doubles at 495.

Played with foot spacing on kick for glide.
Eddie The Brown
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/02/13 at 10:52pm
Hit my patented boulder shoulder workout today.

Incline to 315
Push press for doubles at 275
Strict ohp
DB military
Wide grip push downs
Lateral raises

Trained stones today. Working on transition, trying to drive knee down instead of forcing an awkward pivot.

Need to drill lots more to smooth it out.
Eddie The Brown
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/02/13 at 10:54pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPycO4abkG0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Eddie The Brown
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/09/13 at 5:07pm

reverseworked up to a 675 reverse band squat. Attempted 700 pound reverse band squat but came forward on toes in transition.

Hit some fsquat triples, stiffies, sumo and step ups.

Hammers at lunch felt ok. Started to lose focal point and wasn't popping finish as a result. Back to basics.
Eddie The Brown
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/09/13 at 5:09pm

Stones

Transition drill isn't being applied in throws because I'm not landing in a transition position after my kick. Need more reps with drills.
Eddie The Brown
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/15/13 at 5:20pm
Very fun day in the gym today. Worked up to banded pull @500 the did front/back squat medley, good mornings and rdl's.

Frustrated with myself throwing wise. I receive consistent instruction but perform very inconsistently in practice. Felt like a had a mental breakthrough today but wasn't able to get my body to respond consistently. Trying to be more patient in the back on wfd and allow weight to reach noon before moving feet.
Eddie The Brown
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/23/13 at 9:43pm
Gym Ketchup:

Makeup day today.  Got in around 2AM monday morning so decided to skip the gym.  Did some speed bench w/ power meter, couple sets of incline then some speed squat w/ power meter.  

Hammers AM Session

Took some winds to warm up and first toss was 109.  Seems like in competitions I get tense and perform terribly on hammer.  Today and yesterday tried to get back to the basics on hammer and it is paying off so far.  Wasn't as worried about focal points.  Just tried to get loose and Hula Hoop it.  Hopefully I can redeem myself in ABQ and get some numbers that don't make me look like a 12 year old girl.

Weights Lunch Session

Trying to get back to the basics here as well.  Being patient in the back for now and pivoting feet until cast reaches 12 o'clock to begin my hip swivel to beat the weight around then opening up to the field and driving with my chest as well as pushing the finish so I step (or feel tempted to step) over the trig instead of trying to pull/drag the weight.  Nothing great distance wise here but hopefully I can begin to work backwards to speed things up as I become more comfortable with timing out of the back/sprint.

BIG STONE DAY TOMORROW!  LIGHT WEIGHT BABY!
Eddie The Brown
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/23/13 at 9:51pm
Las Vegas Games Evaluation

AthletePlacePointsBraemar
Stone

22lb
Open
Stone

16lb
Heavy
Wgt for
Dist
Light
Wgt for
Dist
Heavy
Hammer
Light
Hammer
Caber
17' 120#
Sheaf
20lb
Weight
for
Height
Edward Brown443.537'-3.5"42'-11.5"33'-2.5"62'-11.5"73'-0.5"87'-8"60 26'-0"14'-0"

PR's in Braemar, Open Stone and Sheaf so not a total loss but my hammers were EMBARRASSING.  I think I saw the peacocks and geese in the park laughing at me.  O stone needs a lot of work.  Heather pointed out that I'm standing straight up right after my kick.  Going to decide this week whether or not I want to be a horizontal or vertical guy.  Weights weren't what I wanted them to be but I can't complain since those are the types of numbers I throw in practice and unless you're a gamer (I have not achieved this status yet) you'll probably throw in competition about what you throw in practice.

I need better timing on WOB as I'm rushing out of the back and I don't work with caber enough.  This needs to change.

That is all.
Eddie The Brown
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/20/13 at 11:32pm
My training log is not dead, it was merely resting it's eyes.  While my blog has been silent, my training has continued.  

Too much to catch up on between now and my last post so I'll just cover those things which are noteworthy in recent memory. 

Recently I had a few "breakthroughs" if that's what you'd like to call them on O Stone and WFD.  For the first time since I picked up a stone my glide went further than my standing throws.  While this is a good sign of things to come I am not consistent enough to do this in 3 attempts and we all know that if you can't do it in 3 attempts it doesn't really matter.  I still have a lot of drilling to do in order to make this consistent but Jake was kind enough to do a Coaches Eye for me.  I'm firing my arm before my shoulder gets a chance to push.  That's what daddy used to call "Pissing on the way."

I am starting to get timing/speed on weights and went 37+ w/ HW in practice but as I said before, if you can't do it in 3 attempts it doesn't matter.  Need to work more on this and work on getting up to speed sooner rather than on the 14th attempt.

Threw in Flagstaff today, had a blast.  The only toss I consider praiseworthy was a 39'7" Braemar which pleases me although I lost this event to Brandon Hall who had a quarter inch on me.  This upsets me minimally as the man speaks with the voice of a giant and he's 330 pounds of mean nastiness and I mean that in the best way possible.  Ended up in 3rd place overall and if I was one for excuses I would blame the 7,000 feet elevation but the fact of the matter is I was bested on more than one occasion today.

While I cannot promise an entry in this blog daily I am renewing my commitment to it now.
Eddie The Brown
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/22/13 at 8:42pm
Had a light back squat workout this morning with a few sets of stiffies.  Out to the field at sun up for a hammer session, muscled the first few reps and then decided to slow down and hit positions.  Alternated between light and heavy hammer.  Focusing on keeping arms loose, long and letting the hammer climb on my left side instead of dragging it across my body.  As previously stated focus was on positions but throws were in mid 100's.

Stones at lunch.  Braemar starting to come together more.  Holding my arm until shoulders progress further in throw rather than firing off my heels.  Worked on not forcing a reverse today but pushing with my right side the whole way and chasing the weight all the way out into the field w/ follow through.  Onto O Stone when the mental queue "only think about pushing with the right side of your body" seemed to help.  Although my glide did not prove effective in Flagstaff, we shall overcome.  My disdain for my stone came to a boiling point today and I bought a pre owned shot at Play It Again Sports.  I don't think they sell many shots as the sales associate seemed all too intrigued and excited when I picked it up and headed for the register...
Eddie The Brown
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/23/13 at 10:18pm
Bench/OHP in the AM.  Out at the field at sun up for some hammer.  Jake diagnosed a major issue I've got with my shoulders.  I've got shimmy but no swivel in my shoulders so my revolutions are choppy.  Tried a few reps with the change but I'm not fast enough to do this at my current revolution speed so I'll need to slow everything down going forward to hit positions and then speed things back up once proficiency has been achieved.

Stones at lunch and got to throw my brand new used shot.  I named him Icarus. B Stone felt good and moved onto O Stone which is progressing nicely.  Decided to take one last rep at the end of practice w/ Jake's 15.5 lb stone and went 49+ feet.  Decided to call it at that throw and take a celebratory ride home on my bicycle.  I'll be out for some more stone work this weekend and hope to repeat and/or improve upon results seen today.  Big practice PR for me.

Went over for some caber after work and took a few picks to warm up.  Turned Cragenmore on first attempt and then proceeded to tire myself out by not getting another turn the rest of the night.  I'd like to blame fatigue which certainly played a role but my Caber needs a lot of work.  Will try to get caber in once a week going forward.
Eddie The Brown
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/01/13 at 7:02pm
WFD Tues

Very rotational, only took tosses with 49#, need to get some forward drive out of my sprint in order to increase distances.

Stones Weds

Icarus got a new carrying case!  Lost my kick out of the back on these throws.  Watching video realized that I'm elbowing with left arm to try and get momentum out of the back.  Also finishing early by firing arm before squared up to trig.  Very choppy.

Hammers today, really worked on turning my shoulders for a less mechanical orbit.  Positions seem ok with the exception of the finish.  I'm still pulling in and release is flat.  Need to get some height on tosses this weekend.
Eddie The Brown
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/01/13 at 7:26pm
Eddie The Brown
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/04/13 at 11:25am
Stones seem to be slowly improving although I'm still coming up too quickly in my glide, early on my finish and have lost some kick out of the back.  One of the biggest differences is my attitude towards stones now, I really look forward to training them whereas I used to just check out mentally.  Far from good but distances have been improving with the occasional surprisingly good toss.

Eddie The Brown
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/05/13 at 3:28pm
No throwing today due to technical difficulties.  Hit legs this morning.

Hang Cleans to warm up, 495 x 6 Back Squat, step ups @225 and a single deficit dead @495.

Had to do my last set in compression shorts of course.

Eddie The Brown
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/06/13 at 5:00pm
Weight Training

@Jake's
PP to 275 
FB to 275

@Golds
Worked up to a single w/ slingshot at 455
Tricep Extensions and dips

Hammers @Lunch

Trying to finish UP and not worry about throwing out into the field.  I have a bad habit of pulling my left foot out at the finish and turning into the field instead of allowing the hammer to follow it's already established path.  Had a solid session overall w/ the best throw at 116 and got a 113 on video at the end.  1st throw below shows my bad habit of pulling out, 2nd throw shows improvement made during session.

Eddie The Brown
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/07/13 at 7:59pm
AM Weights

Didn't have a ton of time but got some tosses in.  Lower back is understandably tight/sore and didn't really get after my tosses.  Seemed rotational/slow for the most part, not much drive.  Was still good to get in some reps but I look forward to throwing with a fresh body this weekend.

Lunch Stones

A friendly gentleman showed up to inquire about the games and took some throws with us.  Very kind but limited the amount of reps I was able to take again.  Open Stone is looking smooth but still need to work on staying low until I get up to the trig and start to open up to the sector.  Kick could use more violence out of the back as well as I seem to be preemptively swiveling my hips to set up before really even coming out of the back.

Eddie The Brown
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/11/13 at 7:22pm
Beautiful Sunday Morning throwing session.  Slept through much of stones, still having trouble getting speed out of the back with the sought after violent kick.  HWFD quickly blossomed and withered before my eyes and I decided to get in some reps w/ the LW.  Trying to imitate Mark Howe on his World Record 75 foot toss by kicking the weight out in the back of the trig to get my orbit established early and then trying to gas all the way through the trig.  For some reason I wasn't able to get a good finish with this technique.  Not sure if:

A. The weight caught up to me/got ahead of me
B. I wasn't in the "power position" at the front of the trig
C. Bending at the hips too much instead of knees which does not permit a big finish

Need to do some more research on the matter and watch my film a few more times.  

Hammer seemed to be smooth sailing for the most part.  Felt like I hit good positions, just a matter of slowly speeding things up.

Eddie The Brown
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic