Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: jp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/30/13 at 8:38pm
6/28

Deadlift:
Up to 8x3@60

Press:
Up to 3x5@40

Erectors are not good.

6/30

Throwing Day:

Braemar Stone: Throws felt good but stuck on the 24'+ distance. Hmmmmm.

Open Stone: These are coming along very nicely and had some throws in the high 30's. I'd take that in Saline.

Light Hammer: these jack up my back. I had a few good throws but had to stop. Erectors are so jacked right now it's tough to take big breaths. I get my back mashed on again Tuesday evening. Would clean toilets in exchange for muscle relaxers. Truth.

jp
You have to stop doing that Juli, if it worked we'd all be doing it.

tosabarbell.com
Juli Peterson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/05/13 at 12:55pm
7/5

First day attempting any semblance of training since my back seized up on Sunday. It's been a long week.

RDL: 3x8@27 kg

Squat: 3x5@40kg

Deadlift: 1x5@50 kg

Will see how that feels. Will need to evaluate throwing the hammer in Saline next weekend since that's the activity that seized up my back. But I need practice before Enumclaw. Awesome.

JP

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/08/13 at 11:28am
7/8

Whell, the training last week didn't make my back better. Or worse. 

Squat: up to 3x5@ 40Kg, wearing my belt. Humbling but good.

Press: up to 3x5@35. No lay back right now.

Deadlift: up to 4x3@65

Curls: 3x8@20

I'd like to throw before this weekend's Saline games, we'll see.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/09/13 at 11:18am
7/9

Back felt better yesterday after training. It's still worse first thing in the morning, but I'm getting there. Pushed it today with CG bench and very light power cleans to see how the jarring would feel. Didn't feel good, but didn't feel worse. I'll take it. We'll see how I recover from that and hopefully go throw a little bit tomorrow.

CG Bench:
Up to 5x3@55kg

Power Clean:
5x3@35

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/10/13 at 2:04pm
7/10

Throwing Day

Warmed up with some light stone standing putt, felt pretty decent.

LWD: Struggled to find my groove. Warmed up and did better with overhead spins. Had a few mid-50's. Hoping to do that in competition.

HWD: Tried a few times and just didn't find my groove. Decided not to push it further today. Back is in acceptable tired range, hope to keep it that way. 

Icing now. Hope to Snatch and throw just a little bit more tomorrow. 

**Events for Saline do not include Hammer throw. This made my day.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/11/13 at 1:31pm
7/11

I have not been this sore from throwing before, ever. Staying out of the gym for a week is no bueno. I'll do some light snatches to keep blood flowing today and go toss the sheaf around. 

I've pulled out of the Saline games this weekend. As much as I'd like to go ahead and push through, my eye is on Enumclaw and I want to be able to give 100% there with no excuses. 

Getting old is harsh.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/14/13 at 8:08pm
7/13

Tried some Snatches. It was ugly. Did a bunch at 50kg and called it a day. Head wasn't in it.

7/14

Throwing Day

Braemar: Coming along nicely. Starting to feel the push of keeping the stone close until the release and using my legs more.

Open: Same. Good stone day. Had some decent throws.

LWD: Ugly. Something has drastically fallen apart on this throw. 

On Tuesday, I have a throwing session with Sara Hilgers. Timely.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/15/13 at 4:26pm
7/15

Squat:
Up to 8x3@60kg 

Deadlift:
Up to 5x3@75

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/16/13 at 3:57pm
7/16

Throwing Day

As mentioned earlier, I took a little road trip and spent a few hours with Sara Hilgers throwing. We threw stones (shot mostly) a lot; distance throws; and worked a bit on the hammer before I had to head out.

First off, thanks again to Sara for taking a day off and sharing it, and her knowledge with me. She's an excellent coach who sent me home with some great drills; warm ups; key cues for myself during throws; and a fix on my hammer which has me really excited to practice. Her fixes on the hammer also ensures I'm not going to pull my back out of commission for another week again. I can not say thank you enough. I'm so stoked. And sore! But in a very good way. 

Great day!

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/19/13 at 6:51am
7/18

CG Bench:
Up to 5x3@ 57kg

Power Clean and Jerks: up to 3 singles at 65 and switched to only power cleans. Up to two singles at 75 and one at 80. 

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/20/13 at 3:55pm
7/20

Minneapolis Highland Games (put on by Brian Hare)

Great day throwing. Thanks to Brian Hare and Jeff Bryan for their helpful advice throughout the day.

Braemar: 21'8. Rough day with the 14# stone. 'nuff said.
Open: 32'6" PR on first throw. Room for improvement but I'm pleased to pass the 30' mark.
HH: 50'1" PR Overall feeling much better thanks to Sara's coaching. Still have lots of room to improve.
LH: 70'3 PR Again, feeling better.
HWD: 30' PR on last throw.
LWD: 52'4 PR. Finally broke the 50' mark but have so much more for this throw. Just need to do it.
WOB: 13. Missed 14 in various fashion. Need to control nerves on this one.

Caber: lots of picking, no turns. Practice is good, caber was purty, just need to dial this in.

Overall good day, my back is feeling tired but good. Ready for Washington.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/22/13 at 12:42pm
7/22

2 mile walk in a.m.

Squats:
1x4 each @ 50kg, 60
1x2 each @ 70, 80
1x1 each @ 90, 100

Deadlift:
Up to 3x3@80

Pressed for time. Will lift again in Washington on Thursday. Throwing tomorrow if weather cooperates. Back hung in there, this is the heaviest I've squatted since it seized up. Deadlifts always make my back feel better. I'll do it again Thursday in Muk.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/23/13 at 11:36am
7/23

Throwing Day

Threw 3-5 attempts at each event. 

Stones: go further when I don't drop my elbow
HWD: felt ucky. Shut it down quickly.
LWD: goes further when I "sprint" to the release
LH: goes further when my turns get faster
Sheaf: almost touched the clouds once. That was a good toss.

Next stop: Mukilteo then Enumclaw. In case I forget to say it next week, I've had an amazing weekend!

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/30/13 at 1:44pm
7/30

Enumclaw numbers:

Braemar (13#): 24'6.25" (new field record) 

Open (9#): 27'2.5" (a little off. Received some good pointers from Beth Burton on gaining speed to the front of the trig so I'll practice that.)

LWD: 53'9" (PR. As much as I'm still not understanding how I'm not launching this thing, my numbers are steadily rising and I'll take it.)

HWD: 32'7" (PR. I feel as if I have a lot more in this one too. But this was a good PR. I like the one armed wind up and one turn much better than the two turn. I feel much more stable and now just need to get better at keeping my speed up through the throw.)

Light Hammer: 65'2" (Ugh. The feedback I got here was that my hips weren't in sync with my swing. Just need to practice.)

WOB: 13' (Still haven't repeated 14'. Got some great pointers from Adrian Wilson and crew on throwing from the side so I'll practice that and see how it goes.)

Sheaf: 16' (Thanks to judge Michelle Crownhart, I adjusted my standing angle a bit and had a few better throws but no pop towards the end. Probably out of all the events, this is one I was disappointed in that I didn't do better.) 

Caber: Had some good picks and a couple respectable turns but took 4th in the event. Couple that with the 4th I took in the hammer and I just eek'd out a 2nd place finish. OH! The qualifying caber was light enough that on my first pick, I just about threw it over my shoulder. That was exciting.

As for my 2nd place finish? I'll take it. It was a great day and one I'll cherish. I was able to meet some folks I've admired from the net and watch them throw. I was able to get advice from the best and look forward to practicing. I was right, it was an amazing weekend. But it was also another reminder that weaknesses will be pounced on by the competition and I need to get in gear on a couple events.

I've also never been this sore after a Games. I hurt in places I've never hurt before which means that I stepped it up where I haven't before. So noted. I'm going to go squat and pull a little to stretch and expect to feel back to normal by tomorrow or so.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/01/13 at 1:00pm
8/1

Finally feeling up to a meaningful training day. Wasn't heavy, but felt good.

Warm-up with Deadlift:
1x5@40, 50, 60

Squat:
Up to 8x3@70 (8th set was a set of 10. My legs miss my volume squats.)

Press:
Up to 5x3@40 (I've stayed away from Pressing with my back issues so it felt very good to do some light sets. Happy shoulders again.)

Prowler:
6 sprint laps with 30 kilos. Felt awesome.

Overall a good day and I'm very happy I'm feeling good again from last weekend.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/03/13 at 2:19pm
8/3

Power Snatch:
Up to 8 singles @ 50

Power Clean:
Up to 5 singles at 70

Bench:
Started warming up, got to 70 and back started tightening up. Shut it down. 

Cool down deadlift: 1x5@50

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/04/13 at 5:28pm
8/4

Throwing Day

Very good day in that I figured out a few key issues that will hopefully help my throwing in general.

First off, when I was struggling with the Sheaf event at the Claw, Michelle Crownhart suggested I turn to the side slightly since my toss' were hooking too far to the right. 

I practiced this a few times over a goal post and it was money. Now I just need to work on the pop and this event should go better for me. Add in the fact that the next couple games I'm throwing at are headed up by Jason Clevenger and I should have some nice input. ADD another awesome fact that Katie Steingraeber will be at the next few games and I'm very excited to put this to practice. I always walk away a better thrower when Katie is around. 

WOB: See above. Same thing. I tried the side throw and I just don't feel it. But turning my left foot about 30' puts the weight right over the bar. Now I just need to get it higher. But taking out that aspect of the throw will certainly give me more confidence under the bar. I'm very excited.

LWD: I have finally figured out a key issue here. When I'm releasing the weight, ALL of my weight is already on my left leg and my right leg is straight and basically useless. Which means I'm not getting any "Push" off my right side. Which means almost all of the throw is coming from my upper body. Now, many people have told me to "stay low" when I throw and I believe that is what they are seeing. What I ACTUALLY need to do, is keep my weight back. Then I'll have all the power of my legs and hips AND my arms on the release. The problem?

I don't know how to fix this. Any suggestions? I believe once I get the weight distribution down and can use all of my strength, I should see a marked improvement here.

jp

tosabarbell.com
D. Haakenson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D. Haakenson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/04/13 at 5:46pm
I don't know you and I've never seen you throw, but I suspect that what you are likely doing is pushing your right foot at the ground as you turn into the power position. I suggest trying to keep your right leg bent and "let the ground come to you." This is kind of a difficult thing to explain in writing so I hope that I'm not being too vague.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/05/13 at 10:14am
Thanks for the input Daniel. It's kind of hard to conceptualize what you're saying; however; it did give me a thought that I think will help. When you mentioned my right foot I'm picturing how it feels and I think I'm putting my feet where they belong but the weight is more in front of me, much like the HWD. So if I watch my feet/hips but keep the light weight back, that will (I think) force me to keep my body weight back to be there for the final push and release.

I have no idea if that makes sense but it makes sense in my head. 

Thanks again! I'll put it into practice this week and hopefully get some feedback this weekend at  the Wisconsin State Champs.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/05/13 at 1:15pm
8/5

Technically a rest day but deadlifts make my back happy.

Deadlift:
Up to 3x3@80kg, 85, 90

Chins:
4x5

Stretch and barbell roll out adductors. 

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/06/13 at 12:16pm
8/6

Squat:
2x4@ 60Kg, 80 ea.
2x2@ 90, 100 ea.
2x1@ 105, 110 ea.

Press:
Up to 3x3@42

Curls:
3.8@25

Prowler sprints: 5 laps w/30kg

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/08/13 at 3:56pm
8/8

Throwing Day

4-5 Throws each event

Stones: Felt ok. I think this weekend on my first couple of open throws I'll just stand. That went very well today and I had some decent throws. I'll worry later about being fancy. Right now, I feel as though I can get all my power behind the throw from a stand. Braemar was meh.

Distance:
HW:  Realized after 4 throws that I forgot to adjust for my WOB the other day so didn't have all the links. Didn't make a huge difference on my last two throws. So-so day.

LW: Still not getting the foot to weight right. Ugh.

Height:
WOB and Sheaf still feeling good with adjustments made. I'm looking forward to these events on Saturday.

LH: Had a couple decent feeling throws. Saturday is heavy hammer only I believe so I'll just have to do my best. For now, I just know I lose ground on the hammer throws. For now.

Not a horrible day, not a great day. Just practice. 

Up next: Wisconsin State Heavy Athletic Championship this Saturday. Special thanks to Jason C. for letting me be a part of this. I'm very excited!

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/11/13 at 6:22pm
8/10

Wisconsin State Heavy Athletics Championship

This was a rough outing for me. Both my open stone and HWD were way off. I don't know what my numbers were, eventually they'll be posted and we can all be unimpressed. I will say that my second HWD was feeling very good. I was more patient with the weight and it was right where it belonged until I lost my grip and let it fly early. I hate wearing a glove. No more glove on game day.

LWD: PR'd my 3rd throw by a wee bit to 54'6" with the help of Jason, Katie, and Rhett. I also got great feedback from Katie and think I have the right info to practice moving forward. Thanks to them for their help. 

HHammer: 51' PR by a foot. I'll take it. On a day where my better events were struggling, a footlong PR on the hated Hammer is fine. 

Caber: Didn't pick. It's a beast of a Caber, wicked curve and probably heavier than I've ever tried. But it was very challenging and kind of fun. I'll have another chance in a couple of weeks. Bring it.

Height events were very off. For the first time this year I missed 13' on the WOB and was a bit lost. I went out at 16' on the Sheaf but did get some excellent coaching from Jason afterwards so am actually going to go out tonight and play with that a bit. 

Overall, it was a great day. The weather was gorgeous, the group was fantastic and I'm very thankful to be a part of it. I wish I would have had a better outing for Jason but it was just one of those days. 

The nice thing about having been in athletics for a long time is to understand that there are just days like this and not to panic. Keep training, keep throwing and all will be well. 

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/12/13 at 1:22pm
8/12

Squats:
2x4@ 60kg, 85
2x2@95, 105
2x1@110, 115
Back off sets: 3x8@70 on the 2 min. mark (cardio YO!)

Bench:
3x8@55

Curls:
4x8@25

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/13/13 at 2:14pm
8/13

Throwing Day (Stones, Sheaf, Hammer):

I decided to only practice with the 11 and 14# stones I have. I need to work on pushing the weight out and using my legs more and the lighter stone isn't letting me do that. I had a decent enough day. Lots of throws. Nothing spectacular for distance but I'm getting a hair tired of having better practices than game days. 

10# Sheaf: Utilized Jason's coaching from the other day and had a much better session. Throwing at a street light which is pretty high but hit it a couple times. Just getting a feel of better technique. I'm looking forward to having a good sheaf day next week at Cherry Valley. Oscar worked on the new 12# sheaf and we're through but I didn't toss it due to my fatiguing back and I still had the hammer.

LHammer: Actually had a pretty decent hammer day. Worked on long arms and bent knees. Had some decent throws but all of them were in acceptable range (for me.) This is an event I'd like to PR a few more times this season and just get some coaching for next year. I've really struggled with it and know I can do better, it's just at the bottom of the massive list I'm keeping on improvements needed. 

Overall a good day. I'll take it. I'll enjoy my rest day tomorrow. I'm tired.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/13 at 2:17pm
8/15

Throwing Day (Distance, Sheaf, LHammer, WOB):

HWD: Worked on waiting for the weight and keeping chest up on the release. Decent throwing day. Practice, practice, practice.

LWD: A few things have clicked here. First, make sure swings are slow, fast, sprint to the finish which is working very well. Also, trying to keep my hips in front of the weight (separation) prior to the release. This needs more work but all my "bad" throws were in the mid 50 range and had one at 58 and 59. I'll keep working it but it's feeling better. 

Sheaf: Worked with my new 12# bag. Just keep working things Jason gave me to work on. Feels ok but hard to say how it's doing until I have something to aim for. 

LHammer: yuck. 

WOB: Worked on a better release, first couple were rough but found the hang of it and had better throws. 13 is there for sure, 14 if I can control my nerves. Would really like to hit 15 before years end. We'll see. 

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/13 at 2:27pm
ACK! I forgot to add this.

I took a tt break during throwing and started walking with an older couple on the way back to the field. Turns out he (76 y.o.) played basketball and was a sprinter at North Carolina. They noticed my t-shirt and asked about Highland Games. He actually owns some property near Grandfather Mountain and talked about different games he's seen there. 

It was pretty cool.

jp

tosabarbell.com
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/13 at 11:23am
Hey tough guy,

On the WOB...way, way, way less swingies.    Less of them and keep 'em lower.  For example:

...Josh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/13 at 11:58am
You're right. Too many swingies is a nerves thing. Will dial in and keep it in check. 

Gracias.

p.s. Did'chu just call me dude?

p.s.s. Nice AV video. I'll watch over and over and over to get the form downEmbarrassed.

Really. Thank you.

jp

tosabarbell.com
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/13 at 12:07pm
Less is more right there.  Personally, I do too many swings on the sheaf vs WOB, but I really on a big bite so there's a reason for it.

I call everyone "dude," dude.  I reserve the right.  Also in the mix are, in no particular order:

-Chief
-Champ
-Chico/Chaquita or Chiquitita
-Chop
-Chooch

A pattern appears--^

-Sport
-Maaaaaaan

I may have missed some in there.

...Josh
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
  Share Topic