Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: jp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/23/13 at 12:19pm
5/23

Press: up to heavy single
55kg
59 (f) x3
*hit pr of 58 a couple months ago and haven't seen it since. Need to have a globo gym day each week and hit lat pulls and such again. Really want a 60kg press.

Snatch: working a bunch at 50. Still trying to work links out of my back. Slow off the floor and fast 2nd pull is feeling good.

Curls: 5x10@20
You have to stop doing that Juli, if it worked we'd all be doing it.

tosabarbell.com
Juli Peterson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/26/13 at 10:17pm
5/26

Throwing Day

WOB: Worked with my friend Clay who is throwing in his first games next week. He did great. Also worked with the BF to tweak his form for his next event in Holland in 4 weeks. They've started throwing WOB in many Championship League comps and he'll be up against Misha Koklyaev who excels at this event (among other events:) He did good!

Stones: Open felt okay in the spin and very good in the glide (had one throw around 35'.) My hope next week is to PR using the glide and then switch over to the spin. We'll see;) Braemar felt gawdawful heavy. Meh.

Distance: felt off. PracticePracticePractice.

Sheaf: Feeling much better. I don't think this is an event next weekend, at least it's not posted but will bring my stuff just in case. I love my new fork. Thanks Jason!!

Hammer: Light hammer throws, still feels like dooDoo. Need some coaching.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/28/13 at 11:15am
5/28 Games Week

Squat: 
Up to one single @ `80%-110Kg
Back off sets: 3x5@60

Press:
Up to 1x5@43,46,49

C/J:
Up to 8 on 90 sec. @ 60

Curls:
3x10@20

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/29/13 at 5:59pm
5/29

Throwing

Light Hammer:
Worked out start position that is feeling much better. Long straight arms. Some throws in high 60's...finally but not near my PR. Beginners luck is maddening. 

Distance throws:
Turns feel much better, distance wasn't there. PracticePracticePractice.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/30/13 at 3:38pm
5/30

Woke up this morning to a very sore and swollen right index and middle fingers. Huh. Prolly tweaked them throwing yesterday, awesome.

Deadlift:

Used straps and went light due to games Saturday. Worked up to one at 105kg.

Chins: 3x8

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/02/13 at 11:11am
6/1

Milwaukee Highland Games

After starting the season in cold, snow, and sleet you really appreciate weather days like yesterday. Partly/mostly cloudy with a cool breeze and dry, perfect! We had a nice crowd in 'tosa and it was a huge perk to live a mile away from the site. Katie and Luke made it down and I benefited from that. Each of them has an excellent coaching eye and are able to give one cue that has the biggest impact to a throw and were helpful all day. Thanks for that. Newly crowned WOB Masters world Champ Rick was (as always) a huge help also through out the day. Thanks to all!

Braemar (12#): 23' 23/4" Not my best. Keep working.
Open (8.something#): 27'8" Not my worst. Keep working.
HWD: 29'3 1/4" PR Very happy with this. Keep working.
LWD: 49 and change Wanted 50 and change. You can't always get what you want.

*Hammer notes. Last year in Waukesha at the games (my first) I hit 49'8 and 68'9 in HH and LH. I've believed this year in all my games that I will never repeat these numbers and have been very frustrated. WELL, it turns out that in Wisconsin we throw the 12# and 8# and the rest of the world we throw the 16 and 12. So THAT's why my numbers were better. Phew. Still needs lots of work but at least now I know to compare apples to apples and not Wisc to the rest.

HH (12#): 61' and change
LH (8#): 83' and change

Caber: turned the small ladies qualifier and picked the larger log. I love this event, it's a blast.

WOB: 13'

Will deload this week. 

tosabarbell.com
BrainSmasher View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/02/13 at 6:59pm
Juli, Katie and I had a great time throwing with you.  You're picking up the techniques so fast, I'm sure you'll be breaking PRs all season.  Looking forward to throwing with ya again!
Luke Crowley
Everything. All the time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/02/13 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by BrainSmasher BrainSmasher wrote:

Juli, Katie and I had a great time throwing with you.  You're picking up the techniques so fast, I'm sure you'll be breaking PRs all season.  Looking forward to throwing with ya again!

Thanks so much Luke! Your and Katie's coaching helped tons, I really appreciate it! It was a treat getting to watch you throw this time and I even learned while you gave Katie some good cues for her throws and then watching her follow your cue.

Matt and I were trying to figure out what other sports are out there where a rank novice can share the field with top athletes of their game. Highland Games are awesome.

Looking forward to the next time!

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/03/13 at 11:22am
I'm taking a deload week and will tweak my programming for the next 7 weeks to include one gym day for machine accessory work, hill runs, throwing at least twice a week and an olympic lift day along with my strength work. I haven't figured it out yet but will look at it this week. I don't need to worry about recovery from hill runs or accessory day so as long as I'm smart about it all, I should be ok.

This puts me a week out from Enumclaw where I can deload again and focus on throwing. I'm really hoping to find some practice sessions COUGH*Jason C*COUGH or one more Games before the end of July but schedules are tight and this may be it. 

6/3

Squat: 
Up to 5x5 @ 60kg

RDLs:
Up to 3x8@ 40

Bench:
Up to 3x5@50

4 Hill runs

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/04/13 at 1:50pm
6/4

Throwing day

Stones:
Worked a lot on just keeping stone tight against me thru all throws, glide or spin. Had some good tosses and transferred nicely to the heavier stone. Good day.

LWD:
Really need to fix my release. My throws are good but I'm releasing way too high so cutting off distance. Not very successful today. Back was getting fatigued so I shut it down. Back to the YouTube for that.

Gorgeous partly cloudy, high 60s day is a good day throwing. I'll take it.

JP

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/06/13 at 1:17pm
6/6

Press: 3x5@40kg

Snatch: up to one single at 60

Power clean and jerk: up to one single at 75

JP

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/13 at 2:09pm
6/8

Spin class * this was my first time and it was a lot of fun. Since I train alone it was nice to be social. My legs feel pretty good but are definitely fatigued. I'll for sure do it again.

JP

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/10/13 at 10:34am
6/10

*have reset weights to plan for late July/aug peak (I hope) and work with still tender back.

Squat:
Up to 1x5@75kg, 80, 85
3x10@60

Press:
Up to 1x5@40, 43, 45

Shrugs:
4x8@70

Curls:
3x8@25

Cond: Kb swing x 150

JP

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/10/13 at 12:31pm
6/10

ACK! Forgot to write the most important thing down earlier:

9.5 hours straight sleep.

I feel young again.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/11/13 at 3:05pm
6/11

Throwing day.

Open stone: lots of throws using glide. Went very, very well after I slowed the F down. Throws in mid to high 30's which is what shooting for in Saline.

LWD: blech. Something going seriously wrong. Will try to video if I can find someone to throw with. Need help. Srsly.

Light hammer: lots of throws. Felt very good when I incorporate some great cues I got from Luke and Katie a few weeks back. Many throws in high 60s and low 70s which is improved. I'll take it. I may get the hang of this hammer thing after all.

Sheaf: played. Felt good but have no way to judge it.

All in all a good day, minus the distance throws.

JP

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/12/13 at 7:56am
6/12

Had a deep tissue massage last night, I almost puked. Will take a couple days off and run some hills if weather permits. We're supposed to be on the edge of a storm that could affect 1 in 5 people.

Weather people are idiots.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/13/13 at 3:11pm
6/13

Prowler sprints

10 of 'em. Got my sweat on. 

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/13 at 8:58pm
6/16

Throwing 

LWD:
Worked on double overhead windup and one turn. It was fun, getting the hang of it and throws are going further. Threw what seemed like 200 times and I'm feeling it now. 

Sheaf: 
Since I have no idea how high throws are going, I'm aiming for street light. We're guessing they're around 20'. I hit the post a couple times. I was pretty fried from the distance throws, but it was good work.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/17/13 at 3:56pm
6/17

2 mile morning walk

Press:
Up to 1x3@42kg, 44, 46

Power cleans:
Up to singles on 90 second intervals @ 65

Curls:
3x8@25

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/19/13 at 6:31pm
1-2 mile daily walks becoming the norm. It seems to loosen up elder muscles, I like it.

Squat:
Up to 1x3@80Kg, 85, 90

Bench:
quick workout of 1x5@50, 55, 60

I hate training so late in the day. 

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/20/13 at 2:11pm
6/20

Throwing Day

Braemar and Open Stone. Both felt very good today. Got good pushes in the trig. Most open stone throws were in mid to high 30's. If I can do that in Saline MI in a few weeks, I'll be very happy. Braemar was ok, felt good and all throws in mid 20's. Would really like to push that up towards 30'. But overall, good day.

Light Hammer. This is also feeling better, had a couple throws with lots of speed. The one thing I need to know how to fix is that just as I'm about to throw, I pull my arms in instead of keeping them long and straight. I have no idea why I do this. But I need to not to.

Good day.

jp

tosabarbell.com
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/20/13 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Juli Peterson Juli Peterson wrote:

The one thing I need to know how to fix is that just as I'm about to throw, I pull my arms in instead of keeping them long and straight. I have no idea why I do this. But I need to not to.

Are you holding your breath?  Duncan pointed out to me that I was and that it was causing my whole upper body to tighten up.  By the time I got to my release I had started pulling in my arms.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/21/13 at 9:22am
That's an interesting thought. I'm not holding my breath but I am most likely keeping my arms too tight. I'll pay closer attention next time.

As always, Thanks Tom!

juli

tosabarbell.com
BrittneyBoswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrittneyBoswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/21/13 at 9:53am
Juli,

If you speak JSully, go check is log for hammer info. Lots of solid advice from a guy that goes the distance from no grand height, so you know I am a fan!

B
Highland Games - The drama is so high, because the stakes are so low.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/21/13 at 10:46am
^^^ Like spinning a whistle on your finger. Thumbs Up
Aim high. Stay hungry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/21/13 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by BrittneyBoswell BrittneyBoswell wrote:

Juli,

If you speak JSully, go check is log for hammer info. Lots of solid advice from a guy that goes the distance from no grand height, so you know I am a fan!

B

Thanks Brittney! I'll do that.

Tom, I can picture that but when I get weight in my hands I become dumb. Confused

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/21/13 at 8:28pm
6/21

2.2 mile morning walk

Deadlift:
1x5@60kg, x4@70, x3@80, x2@90, x1@100, x1@110

Press:
Up to 3x8@40

**I had the amazing opportunity this morning to watch Brian Shaw train his deadlift. Since no on had pulled 900+ at the gym (Winner's Edge Sport Performance in Pewaukee) he decided to fix that. He pulled 905 for a double. It was quite a moment. Very cool. 

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/24/13 at 1:38pm
6/24

Press:
Up to 1x3@ 43kg, 45, 47

Power Snatch:
Up to 8x1@50, 4x1@55

Chins:
3x5

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/25/13 at 1:56pm
6/25
Mucho rain means no throwing.

Squats:
Up to 8x3@70kg

Bench:
Up to 8x3@45

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/27/13 at 2:25pm
6/27

Throwing Day

HWD: Just practiced timing. Tried a few overhead swings but didn't feel like I gained anything from it. Not a horrible day.

LWD: Getting better at the overhead wind up and release. Throws in mid 50's finally so will keep practicing this one. Hope to get in mid-high 50's in Saline and push through 60's in Enumclaw. 

LH: Had absolutely nothing left in the tank for this. Threw a couple warm ups and got dizzy with each one so shut it down. 

Sunny, warm summer day. Nice.

jp 

tosabarbell.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
  Share Topic