Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: jp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/22/14 at 9:12am
6/20

Chicago Scots HG Friday Fling, Itasca IL

Gorgeous warm day was far better than storms predicted. Jeff Armstrong and Jason Clevenger handled the motley crew quite well and the 5 events Games was tons of fun. Matt got in some more practice and some help from others and did great. OH! And Games Minion Yo-Yo. Thanks Jason!

Open Stone: 8.14#-30.113/4" I'll take it. Just keep practicing

LWFD: 61' 3/4" My other two throws were 60 and change and 59 so I'm very pleased that I can be consistent at this. Got a very helpful cue from Armstrong that I'll be able to apply and practice in the future.

HH: 58'11.5" PR Two good cues from Jason & Ruth helped this one. It's coming along. 

Caber: This was beastly, 75# & 18'. I picked, kinda. My 3rd pick was best, solid but really had no chance of turning this thing. Even before I stepped in a slight hole and the caber pushed my head to almost exorcist proportions, made a full turn and decided to bail before things got too exciting.

Sheaf: Missed 19'. I did get some very good help from Katie Steingraeber that I can use to practice and was already helpful the next day. I still don't really get this event. 

Packed up the car and hot stepped it over to Fremont, Indiana and by hot stepped I mean we rolled in 1:30am local time. By the time we finally unwinded (is that a word?) it was around 2:30. Goodie.

6/21
Stout Barbell Highland Games

*Note to self: when I come up with ideas of throwing in a Games/Partial Games and hot stepping it 4 hours to another venue to throw in moar games...don't. 

Sheaf: 18' Thanks to Katie's help the day before, all of my throws to 18 were completely solid. Then I got to 20', forgot everything and panicked. Didn't even come close. Thankfully we started with the event when I still had a few wits about me so learned and moved on. SheafErmm

WOB: Dawn Higgins brought her pretty new Landrich 21# so the four of us old gals agreed to toss it for WOB and HWD. I hit 17' on my 3rd try and am very happy with that. Again, Katie gave me an excellent cue to keep the weight close and in front. All three 17.6" attempts were close enough that if I'm fresh, will have a decent chance if I continue to apply the right form. PR. I was very happy. 

Caber: The qualifier was fine. OH, some folks wanted to "pass" on the qualifier. That was strange to me. After a quick rules check it was confirmed that no, you can't 'pass' on a qualifier. Heh. It was light and not very tall so I just picked up off the ground vs. a 'pop' pick and muscled it. I turned it but style points were not applied.

Our next caber was also beastly. Thick, heavy, and tall. Not too far off Armstrong's caber. My first two picks were ok but the log quickly got away from me. I had time to chat it up with Mike Huth and he talked story of his caber days. Two things clicked for me. It's silly and those who are good with caber will go, 'Uhhhh, ya, duh' but it was helpful and has completely energized my caber. My third pick was solid. Up and settle. Like buttah. I started to move forward, dipped lSO ow and tossed her. I didn't turn but it was probably my best caber pick and toss to date and I'm so excited to work on this in the future. I got a 70 degrees and took first in the event. Pretty cool.

We broke for lunch here and took a break from boiling in the sunshine. I tried not to eat too much because I was already feeling the effects of the last day and half and tons of food wouldn't be helpful. John O'Connor and crew provided BBQ sandwiches and snacks and waters, I'm very appreciative of that. We were pretty spoiled.

Onto Stones

B:14# - 23'7 PR at that weight 
O:9# - 28'
Overall didn't have too much pop. Got some great help from Big12 Champ Victoria Zimmerman that made sense and I can apply at practice. I'll take it. 

HWD(21#): 43'3.5" Not my best but I was turning the car looking for hidden gas by now since I was running out. 

LWD: 57'. Noooooooo gas.

Hammers: I didn't even spin a warm up. Knew that I only had a few left in me.

HH: 60' PR on first toss. Two HH PR's in one weekend is Giddyup. Very happy these are coming together. However; that was it for me. The rest of the hammer throws were pale shadows of what could have been. True Story.

LH: I think around 66'. Heh. Passed on further attempts to avoid driving myself (further) into the ground. 

Overall an excellent day. It was fun to meet Doug Steiger's twin brother and throw for him. John O'Connor, Mike Huth and his family took amazing care of us. Mike's wife kept running back to the tent during our afternoon session to dunk cold hand towels in ice water and bring them back for us. That was incredible. They fed us and made sure we didn't thirst to death and even had the overall event organizers provide us with our own bartender and BBQ. That was pretty cool (the Budwiser I pretty much slammed before my Heavy Hammer PR obviously was a key factor). My first place prize is an absolutely beautiful sword that I think Oz has already claimed but I may have to 'mom rule' him on this one and keep it in the gym. OH! Our women's classes combined for 12 women throwing! That was awesome. Many newcomers who worked their hardest all day and kept great attitudes were fun to be with. There were tons of PR's for those who'd been at it for a few games or more and that was fun to see and be a part of. 

I was thankful to reach home safe and sound with no car drama, or any drama for that matter. We arrived almost exactly 36 hours after we left on Friday. OH! Matt also had a great day on Saturday. We had to leave before his group was done with Sheaf (he went out at 20. Not bad for throwing this thing about 5 or 6 reps in his life.) All of his events are looking better and he turned their caber to 12:30 on his final attempt which he was pretty stoked about. Cute eh?

jp

You have to stop doing that Juli, if it worked we'd all be doing it.

tosabarbell.com
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/22/14 at 9:35am
Congrats Juli!
Aim high. Stay hungry.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/22/14 at 9:41am
Nice wob! Terri hopefully will join ya in the 17 club(was derailed with her injury last week)
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Juli Peterson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/22/14 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by dWood dWood wrote:

Nice wob! Terri hopefully will join ya in the 17 club(was derailed with her injury last week)

Thanks so much Dan and Tom. Dan, Terri will be up there right quick. I was sorry to hear of her injury but it sounds like she's slowly and smartly on the mend. All of you continue to be in our thoughts. 

Matt got a note tonight from John O'Connor that he took first place in his group yesterday. He was pleased. So many people have been very helpful as he gets back into this and we're both thankful and I'm very proud. That said, he needs to start his own log. SRSLY.

Smile

jp

tosabarbell.com
Larry Satchwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Satchwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/23/14 at 8:57am
Great job in Itasc Juli. Nice to meet you and Matt. Keep training.   Experience is a great thing, can only come with time and practice.

Satch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/23/14 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Larry Satchwell Larry Satchwell wrote:

Great job in Itasc Juli. Nice to meet you and Matt. Keep training.   Experience is a great thing, can only come with time and practice.

Satch

Thanks so much Coach! It was a special treat getting feedback from you and I'm already scoping out your training videos. I understand better now what you meant about getting my hip around on the Open stone turn, THANK YOU! I'll say this, practice is far more fun when you have an understanding of what you're trying to accomplish. Heh. 

Thank you again for taking the time to give me some great cues. Congrats again to YOU on coaching a State Champ, very exciting! 

Cheers!

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/23/14 at 2:45pm
6/23

OH Herro deload week, damn glad to see ya.

Squat:
3x10@60kg

Press:
3x10@30

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/25/14 at 2:59pm
6/25

Throwing Day

Stones: Worked a lot of drills, some standing throws and a few moving. Still not back to 100% from last weekend so I'll take the practice.

Light Hammer: Worked hips and release. Coming along. Worn out.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/26/14 at 4:23pm
6/26

10 Prowler laps with 90# (Ya Buddy.)

Deadlift (new 5 week, will not do + during season. On 3 & 1 weeks will do a back off set of 5):
1x5@95

Bench (deload):
3x10@35

Hammer drills: one spin and release. Feeling better Road Warrior!!

Stone Drills: 3x10 on each (two) working the hips and block

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/27/14 at 11:00pm
6/27

MOAR Prowling: 8 laps w/90#

Throwing Day

Hammer release drills. Better. Keep working AND work on acceleration. 

Distance. 14 & 28. Just worked rotation. 3/2/1 of each. Fine. This block thing...uffda.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/30/14 at 7:51pm
6/30

Hot and steamy makes Juli unmotivated and crabby. I miss winter.

Line drills at the track.

Squat: Up to 12x3@70Kg

Press: Up to 12x3@35Kg

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/01/14 at 4:19pm
7/1

Stone Throws: Both Braemar and Open going better since doing drills. Still have a lot of work to do but they're coming along. Did 4 standing/ 4 glide then 3, 2, 1. 

LH: Release going much better. Starting to use my hips more. Good throws. Inch by inch the distance is increasing. I'm still a long way off to be competitive, but it's coming. Also trying to remember not to start out too fast. Basically trying to remember 5 different things and being satisfied applying one or two per session.

Sheaf: Worked on a much slower start and better acceleration. We'll see next week in Minnesota.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/03/14 at 3:05pm
7/3

Deadlift:
Up to 1x3@100kg

Bench:
Up to 12x3@40

Prowler: 10 laps w/90#.

WOB work.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/06/14 at 5:08pm
7/4

Moar Prowling with Moarning coffee (see what I did there?:)

Throwing: Distance and Hammer drills

Uff, distace weights were off. Just off my game. Finally shut it down after maximum frustration. Then some people setting up for the fireworks came over and wanted to pick up the implements. It was pretty cute. Gained a bit of perspective, my horrible throwing day=their excitement over throwing something heavy. Kind of cool.

Hammer. Working on speed and release. Coming along. Salvaged a frustrating outing.

7/5

Feeling a bit beat up from the prowling so kept to a few light power cleans, no overhead (I'm already hulk smashing the shoulders of my t-shirts.) Up to 5x1@60kg

Stone drills and hammer winds.

7/6

Stones and Hammer

Stones feeling good. Just working on it.

Hammer releases felt really good up until I broke my light. Worked a bit with the 16 but that was moar frustrating than I willing to deal with. Headed over to Leff's for Shandy and Cheesecurds. I really do heart Wisconsin.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/07/14 at 2:06pm
7/7

Squats:
5x3@75kg

Press:
5x3@40

Drills- push off and footwork.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/08/14 at 1:22pm
7/8

Pre-games throwing

Quick warm up and 3 attempts at each event. Still struggling a bit with my distance footwork but will keep doing drills and hopefully will find my groove again. Supposed to be a hot one on Saturday in Minnesota, I'd rather take the snowWink

Looks like a great line up for Saturday and throwing with Mrs. Roadwarrior among others is sure to be a blast. 

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/09/14 at 2:48pm
7/9

Deadlift:
Up to 1@105, Back-off of 5@70

Bench:
Up to 5x3@45

Prowler: 5 laps w/20kg

Drills - distance footwork

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/13/14 at 6:37pm
7/12

Minnesota Scottish Fair & Highland Games

The weather was complete ADD. Humid and cloudy turned to hot, humid sunshine turned to sprinkles turned to torrential downfall turned back to light sprinkles turned to humid and a bit chilly. Soooooo, Minnesota.

Jeff Bryan situated the throwing field with a bathroom, the meat pies, and the beer tent all within two steps so he wins the world. In all seriousness, he took amazing care of us. Fed us, provided a great tent when the rain came and trashed talked each of us which makes us feel loved. Thanks to Tony (didn't get his last name), our judge who kept us moving along nicely. The master's men were incredibly supportive of us gals and very helpful. Some of us left with more amazing prizes and I'm thankful for a good day and for walking off the field healthy and in one piece.

HH: 59'3/4" (Decent. My goal was 60.) Watching Jessica Hare throw the hammer is like watching a Bolshoi Ballet dancer. Incredible.

Sheaf: PR 22'. Jessica was a huge help from me and that whole 'push' thing is making more sense. Missed 24' but the guys said I had 23.6 allllllll day (heh.)

WOB: Bombed out. Yup. Missed 12' three times. I got nothing to say about this one except thanks to Tony for resetting the bar back down to 12 when we were all done so I could throw it over and not get this in my head going into Enumclaw. Went over just fine. Der.

HWD: 35'9. Felt good. A little off my PR from last year but I think it's where it should be right meow.

LWD: PR 62'9. Again, thanks to Jessica for her cue on my last throw. OH, this was tossed in the pouring rain so that was fun.

Rain delay

Open Stone: 30'9 (I'm thinking with all of these .9s I'm getting some numbers wrong here but I think I wrote them down correctly. Shrugs shoulders.) I'll take that in the rain in mud and have some good info from Jess going forward to practice.

Caber: Ohhhhhhh, she was a beaut. 60# and just shy of 16'. All picks were solid and got some good help. Turned last attempt at 12:30. I'm really starting to like this event. 

Overall, the WOB fail shook me for sure but after pouting for around 2 minutes I shook it off. Stuff happens and it's a strong event for me so I'll practice and be fine. In hindsight, I was probably looking past 12 and that didn't work. Lesson learned. So much good came from the day going into Enumclaw that I'll call the day a success. Watching Jessica was a huge help and I'm excited to get on the field and practice. 

jp

tosabarbell.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/14/14 at 6:19am
^^^ Good stuff there.
Aim high. Stay hungry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/14/14 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by TomLawrence TomLawrence wrote:

^^^ Good stuff there.

Thank you Tom! I'm always appreciative of your support. 

7/14

Squat: 
Up to 8x2@80kg

Press:
Up to 8x2@45kg

Stone drills

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/16/14 at 5:24pm
7/16

Throwing Day

Stones (shot): Worked standing & glide. 3, rest. 3 of the other, rest. Going good. Focusing on that X thing. Not getting a block in, that's still foggy for me.

Hammer: Lots of winds, a few toss'. More hips. Need to work releases some more. Lots to remember.

Sheaf: Almost made it over the street lamp. Going better but then I got gassed and started whipping my left shoulder back. Then it doesn't go up, it goes back. No bueno.

Overall a good day.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/17/14 at 1:42pm
7/17

Decided to use the perogi and mac and cheese I ate last night for good instead of evil.

Clean & Press: 6x5
15kg, 30, 35, 40, 45, 45

Power Snatch: 8x3
15, 25, 35, 40, 45, 50, 50, 55

Power Clean, PC& Jerk: 8x3
15, 25, 35, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65

Will most likely be aware of my traps tomorrow. Giddyup..

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/18/14 at 4:05pm
7/18

Throwing Day

Distance and Hammer

21 & 14: Worked on staying low through the turns, I stand up too fast. Getting a few good blocks at the end, that feels cool. Did 4 light, 4 heavy, 3,2,1. Feels good.

Hammer: worked on rhythm. I go too fast on my second wind. Trying to slow it down so I have good speed on the 3rd. Meh. The list is long on things I need to improve on this one. 

Overall a good day. Nice and sunny, not too hot. Will bench & throw with the bigg guy this weekend. Monday train, Tuesday one last throw session and off to Washington we go.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/20/14 at 1:22pm
7/19

Bench:
Up to 8x2@55kg

Throwing with the Bigg guy.

Stones (Shot & 12.66 stone): Getting good push, by the way my left heel feels I think I'm starting to get this block everyone is talking about. Starting to. Warmed up and then took 4,3,2,1 of each. As ready as I'll every be.

Hammer: Good speed work today. Still not going very far but the rhythm is much better.  

7/20
Was going to go do some distance drills today with the hubby but I'm shot. Bod is sore and very tired. We may do some yard WOB later tonight but I won't if I'm not up to it. Tomorrow is some light squats and maybe cleans but if I'm still wiped I'll skip those and pull a couple light deadlifts. Won't sweat it. Coming in strong and healthy is my goal. 

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/25/14 at 12:05pm
7/24

Trained at my Cousin's firehouse in Woodinville. Just got the travel bugs out.

Squat: Up to 1@225#
Press: Up to 3@95#
Deadlift: Up to 1x5@185#

As ready as I'll ever be for the Claw. Looking forward to it!

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/28/14 at 12:23pm
7/27

The Claw

Braemar (16#): 25'5.5" Good PR, good start to the day. 1st place (Field Record.)

HWFD (21#): 47'3.5" Pleased with this, hoping to improve during August but this would be a Games PR. 1st place (Field Record)

*This was my goal, to be sitting as well as I could heading into Hammer which I knew would be the weaker event for me.

LH (12#): 74'10". Meh. Hammer.2nd place

Caber: 4th place, goodbye North American Championship, ya big flirt. I had decent picks and turned all three times but they went all over the place. Afterwards, I got some great advice from the side judge (Thanks Christy!) so I know what to practice moving forward but I'm not going to lie, I was bummed. Moving on.

WOB (21#): 13' cleared, barely and missed 14. WOB mojo is still on haitus, will find it. Have to. 2nd place

Sheaf (10#): 20' Got a great cue from Grant Oliver and will keep practicing. 1st place.

LWFD (14#): 62'4" Coming along. 1st place.

Open Stone (sheet says 11# but I thought it was 9#. Huh.) 29'3 At this point I had worked my way back up to maybe pulling this thing off. I struggled with the glide and in looking back should have just thrown it Braemar style. Had I won this one, I'd have moved back into the lead. But I didn't. 2nd place

2nd place overall. And I'll take it. I actually had a really great day and I'm thankful for it. I can't thank Wally, Harold, the Queen and their crew enough for giving me this opportunity. It was a great two days and I walked away healthy (feeling pretty good actually after a few advil) and in one piece. Our little group was positive and fun and Judge Bob Ham took such good care of us and the ladies all weekend long.

Damn caber.

jp

tosabarbell.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/28/14 at 12:58pm
Awesome successes.  Good job JP.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/28/14 at 1:04pm
Dude!  Nice work!
...Josh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/30/14 at 2:03pm
Thanks guys!! Josh, 'chu srsly call me dude?!? Tongue

7/30

We took the red eye out of Seattle Monday night so I rested an extra day. My right knee is a bit swelled up, hmmmm. Will keep foam rolling and bb roll the adductor to try to release what I'm assuming is some tendon flare up. If not, will go out and buy the biggest bottle of Rye and take it with to go get an IT Band release. Last resort.

Using this week as a deload.

Squat:
3x5@50kg

Press:
3x10@30kg

Sheaf work
Stone drills (need to focus on 'front of the throw.' I'm leaving lots of feet out there.) 

jp

tosabarbell.com
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/30/14 at 3:03pm
Nah.  That was the declarative "dude," dude.
...Josh
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 17>
  Share Topic