Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: jp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/14 at 6:57pm
I agree. Really. It's why I control drop all of my Snatch, Cleans, and Jerks. 

FoShizzle.

jp
You have to stop doing that Juli, if it worked we'd all be doing it.

tosabarbell.com
Juli Peterson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/01/14 at 3:04pm
5/1

Happy Lei Day!

Ran two camps last weekend towards chicago plus a trip to Minnesnowta means not much training and no throwing. Boohoo. Also in the proverbial wedding planning weeds so found a few minutes today to at least do something.

Squat:
1x8@20, 50, 6@70, 4@85, 2@100, 1@105

Press:
1x8@20, 6@30, 4@40, 2@45, 1@50

Deadlift:
5@60, 4@75

That's all she wrote. Will do peppy things on Sat and throw on Sunday. Yeah!

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/03/14 at 10:24am
5/3

Have enough time for a little pop and prowl.

W/U with Power Snatach up to 1@50

PC & J, up to 5 singles @ 60

Prowl: 5 Laps with 30kg

Sun shiny day. Yeah!

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/14 at 6:25pm
5/4

Throwing Day

Stones: Used three different weights up to the 14#. Pretty good day. Worked on "holding the X" longer after seeing some video. Felt good to be throwing again, it's been long enough that I was worried I'd forgotten how.

Did some Hammer winds but releases were off enough to shut it down and avoid frustration. Will try to get out one more time this week. This whole wedding thing harshes my throwing mellow. Totally.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/14 at 9:34am
5/6

Squat:
1x8@20, 50, 60
1x3@70, 80, 90
Back-off 1x10@60

Bench:
3x10@50

Prowl:
5 Laps w/40Kg

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/14/14 at 11:59am
5/14

Trained in pretty nice hotel gym today. Just wanted to stretch a bit.

Squat: up to 3x5@80, single @90, and two singles @ 100. Felt heavy, gotta love jet lag.
Backed off with 1x10@60.

Press: 1x5@20, 5@30, 4@40, 3@50, switched to push press and went up to 70. Felt good to go overhead.

Row: 500m warm up. Then 30 on/30 rest. Tweaked my back somewhat on this, weird. Lots of stretching and will walk around tonight for supper. Hopefully will be fine by tomorrow.

Tomorrow we're training with Akos Nagy, Hungry's Strongest man and former world champ weightlifter. To say I'm excited is an understatement. So far Budapest doesn't suck.

When I get back ill be looking at my training. Doing one day or so of accessory work and tweaks to my food isn't doing it for me. I feel better when I'm lifting and eating lower carb, I was far more puffy than I wanted to be at my wedding and in hindsight, shouldn't have made drastic changes four weeks out from it. Live and learn. But now im married so don't need to worry any more what I look like:/ A few of you were there or came to the after party, thank you. The day was special, especially the almost bar fight. But fo real, thank you.

JP

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/16/14 at 3:05am
5/15

Trained @ really nice gym with Matt and Akos' weightlifting team. It was amazing. Great atmosphere, supportive folks, lots of yelling in Hungarian and top notch coaching. Another woman was training so I jumped in with her and just did their workout for the day.

I tried to write down what we did but it looked something like this:

Press (I push pressed)
6x5, 15kg warm up to..35, 45, 55, 55, 60, 65

Power Snatch
8x3, 15kg warm up to...25, 25, 35, 45, 50x2, 55x2

We skipped the OH squats.

Power Clean, PC, Jerk
8x3, 15kg warm up up to...45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 65, 70, 70
(By the time I hit 65 I only did one PC and then the PC/Jerk. Tired)

Got tons of work in, haven't done volume like this with Oly in forever. It was awesome. Great work environment, Akos is the perfect coach; direct, smart, gives one cue and waits until you fix it for another. I think I would have stuck with this oly thing if I'd had this kind of environment. It was also the first time I ever got any positive feedback on my weightlifting (enter warm and fuzzy feeling here;)

My 'back' issue turned out to be a left hip issue. Have been doing lots of stretching and mobility crap. The session last night didn't make it better, didn't hurt it more either so I'll take the wash. It was probably the coolest training sessions I've been a part of. FoShizzle.

jp

tosabarbell.com
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/16/14 at 9:49am
The Hungarians I trained with did a lot of:

Power Snatch+Squat Snatch
Power Clean+Squat Clean+Jerk
Heavy, Low rep, pulls and front squats.

Similar?
...Josh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/16/14 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by CHAD CHAD wrote:

The Hungarians I trained with did a lot of:

Power Snatch+Squat Snatch
Power Clean+Squat Clean+Jerk
Heavy, Low rep, pulls and front squats.

Similar?

I'd say that the session looks pretty similar in general for Oly training for a heavy session, thinking of two a days training. We used to do a rep scheme of 4,4,2,2,1,1 and go up to near PR every time. I didn't last long on that one but the young kids did.

The stuff we did last night was good for me, I wasn't ready to go heavy on anything. It was a blast!

jp

tosabarbell.com
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/16/14 at 2:12pm
Super cool.
...Josh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/20/14 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by CHAD CHAD wrote:

Super cool.

Thanks! It was totally super cool!Smile

5/20

Treated today as "active recovery" which is a term I actually hate to use but seems appropriate here. I'm in a pretty decent sized fog from lack of sleep and jet lag so just want to get moving and get my food in check this week. 

Squat:
Up to 5x5@60kg

Bench:
Up to 5x5@40kg

Deadlift:
1x5@60, 70. Wanted to stretch out the back a bit without stress.

Felt good, I need another nap now. When I can trust that I'm making sense, I'll scope out my training for the next 12 weeks. Back to The Training Lab. I'll start on Block 4 to reset my lifts again because I know I've lost strength this last month. As before, I'll reset my deadlifts and run some 531 on that with tweaks as needed during Games weeks. That'll take me into August where I can start dialing in those last few weeks before Scotland with many Games thrown in there. That's the plan. I'll throw tomorrow, weather willing. 2 1/2 weeks until Milwaukee Games. Overall I'm feeling behind a bit but will try to be patient to work my way back up. "Try."

jp

tosabarbell.com
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/20/14 at 3:17pm
Congrats and welcome back. Now get out and throw. Dwood & Terri J
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/21/14 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by dWood dWood wrote:

Congrats and welcome back. Now get out and throw. Dwood & Terri J

Thanks to you both!! Still keeping you all in my thoughts. And yup, I'm on it!!Tongue

5/22

Beautiful, sunny throwing day.

Was only going to do distance stuff but some Stone info came in from Melinda before I left so took the stones with me. With a few tweaks they flew. Staying more upright and lower. Just practiced but ooooo, they are flying. Yeah.

Did some distance throws but am very rusty with the turns. No worries. Will keep practicing and find my way back. Overall a very good, albeit rusty, session in the sun and heat. Felt really good.

Tomorrow will do more, very light squats and some very light powercleans. Just want to keep moving but give myself a chance to recover from the last month. Food is in check and dropping some hyooooge pre-wedding and honeymoon carb up poundage.

jp, or I guess JW. That's weird.

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/25/14 at 12:17pm
5/25

Threw LH on Friday. Did 10x10 warm up winds alternating sides. Very slow. Just worked on making sure my hips are involved. Felt rusty but good. 

Threw about 10 more. Didn't worry about distance, just hips and release. 

Worked some Sheaf after that, trying to focus on getting my legs involved.

Today:

Quick little snappy workout. 

PowerSnatch - 8x3 @15, 15, 25, 35, 35, 40, 45, 45

Worked (again) on really pushing with my legs. I have to get my legs more involved in both my lifting and my throwing. Lots of focus there.

Light Press:
5x5@30 Just to give my shoulders a little workout. Felt good. On to enjoying the weekend. Throw tomorrow with Matt (who is throwing here in Milwaukee on June 7. Yeeee. Haw.)

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/26/14 at 3:54pm
5/26

Throwing Day

Distance: 14, 21, 28

After warm up, took 3 throws ea. weight starting with 14 and working up. Went to 2 and then one of each. Threw with Matt so took plenty of rest between throws which was nice, I'm not good about that when I'm on my own.

Throws are much better, finding my groove again. Still need to work on last push from the right leg before the release but it's coming. Good day.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/14 at 2:36pm
5/27

Squat:
Up to 5x5@70kg 

Press:
Up to 5x5@38

Conditioning

Took weights way down to work out hip issue. Feels good so far. Tomorrow a rest day.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/29/14 at 2:22pm
5/29

Deadlift:
Up to 1x5@80

Bench:
Up to 5x5@45

Prowler:
W/U with 20kg, 5 laps @ 50kg

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/30/14 at 3:37pm
5/30

Throwing Day

Stones: worked on staying a bit more upright and getting a big push off the right side. Pretty good. Mostly standing. Did a few glide and it's just not there right meow. Will probably just stay put for a bit.

Ended up throwing some HWD (28.) Focused more on a nice big push coming around and Ooooooo, she was flying. Most of my last throws 34'+. Very happy.

Little Hammer work. Meh.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/02/14 at 2:18pm
6/1

Throwing Day

Started with stones. We found a nice 12.4# stone by the river so played with that. Both felt good but still just standing with the open. Will probably do that this weekend, we'll see.

Hammer: still working on it. Feeling a tad better. Just keep working. Hips.

Distance: Threw a few of both heavy and light but was running out of steam by now.  Shut it down fairly early. Turned out the session was over an hour and a half with rest times so that's enough.

6/2

Squat:
Up to 5x5@80 (hips are feeling so much better now. I heart squats.)

Press:
Up to 5x5@40. 

Was going to prowl but it's humid as heck and I threw in that yesterday. No thank you. Confused

jp

tosabarbell.com
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/02/14 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Juli Peterson Juli Peterson wrote:

jp, or I guess JW. That's weird.

Can't believe I missed this!  Congrats.  Also, if it is weird, just make Matt be MP.
www.sportkilt.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/03/14 at 11:39am
Originally posted by rob meulenberg rob meulenberg wrote:

Congrats.  Also, if it is weird, just make Matt be MP.

Thanks Rob!! Also...

Yup.LOL

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/05/14 at 2:01pm
6/3

Throwing Day

Took all the toys out to toss 3 attempts at each. I was really struggling with the LWD so stayed there for a little while and focused on turning my right foot better instead of having cement sneakers on the turns. Also stayed with the light hammer for a bit. Hammer. Oy. My goal for the games this weekend will be to overall use my legs more in every throw. I think that would be helpful.

6/5

Deadlift:
Up to 1x3@85kg

Bench:
Up to 5x5@50

Prowling:
5 laps with 90#

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/07/14 at 8:10pm
6/7 Milwaukee Games

Beautiful throwing day here in 'tosa for the Milwaukee Scottish Games. The group was tight and we blew through events in record time. My goals were a bit lofty in some events but overall a good day. Throwing with Clevenger, Katie and Luke is ALWAYS a good day Katie taking 1st overall was KICK AZZ!! True story. Thanks to RJ and his crew, the crowd of fans, and Leff's being across the street. Heh. 

Numbers:

Me/Matt

Braemar: 25/1"/32.5"
Open:      29.7.5"/ 37.1 1/4"
HWD:       33/ 29.2 1/2"
LWD:        59/52.1 3/4"
HH:           69.8 1/4" and 72.3"
LH:           88.8" and 91.10 1/2"
Caber:      Both turned qualifier and then 35/25 degrees.
WOB:       14'/14' (When will I EVER throw a 15'?)

I bombed out of my open and heavy hammer but other than that came close to my goals for the day. Overall sitting right where I should be after taking over a month off and getting off my training. The throwing group was one of the best I've ever thrown with and looking forward to more of the same Labor Day weekend plus the Pro's. Matt did VERY well and can see where practice with some of the events will be helpful. He's just so gawdawful strong. I'm always thankful for a good day on the field and feeling good at the end of it. Plus, cheesecurds, so...ya.

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/09/14 at 2:07pm
6/9

Squat:
Up to 5x3@85kg

Press:
Up to 5x3@45

Skipped the Prowler. I'm still a bit beat up from Saturday and I need to throw tomorrow.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/10/14 at 3:48pm
6/10

Throwing Day

LH: Worked many winds, both sides. Focus on hips and keeping the ball to the right. Winds are feeling better. Will get some video when I throw with the big guy this weekend. 

Distance: all three weights. Focused on keeping my weight on the right and trying to go faster and forward on the second turn. May have gotten a bit carried away as now I can barely move my right arm and hand. True story. My entire forearm is on fire soooooo...count reps next time. 

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/12/14 at 2:23pm
6/12

Deadlift:
Up to 1x1+@90(5) Felt fine, it's light but working my way back up feels good. 

Bench:
Up to 5x3@55

Conditioning:
3 Rounds: 50 air squats/ 8 Hang Cleans @ 35kg/ 5 jumping pull ups (Got my sweat on!)

Steak, potato and wine tonight. FoShizzle.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/14 at 9:11am
6/14

Throwing Day

Worked on some stone drills (thanks RoadWarrior!!) Played with MSA, I like it. The glide has been giving me some right knee troubles and I'm not a fan of right knee troubles. My goal for each day is to take a few minutes and do 3 sets of different stone drills.

Distance:
Took out the 14 & the 28. Really working on keeping hips low and turning my right foot better. Had a few good ones. Turn, turn, turn.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/14 at 12:53pm
6/16

Squat:
Up to 5x1@100kg

Press:
Up to 5x1@50

Prowler: 5 very steamy laps with 40kg. 

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/17/14 at 4:18pm
6/17

Stone Drills: I'd like to think of myself as a somewhat athletic person but doing all right leg dominate drills had me reeling a bit. Starting to feel better. Another helpful way to think about turning my right foot is to rotate the heel. Yes, it's the same thing, but for some reason this gives me something to think about that works. I'm pleased. Did 3x10 with 3 drills. Good stuff.

Bench:
Up to 5x1@60kg. Fine. 

The plan right now is to throw in the Friday Fling outside Chicago on Friday afternoon and then book over to Auburn IN for a full games on Saturday. If it's storming and soaked on Friday, we'll pop in to say hi and pick up some gear for Saturday and head back out. The prospect of driving 3 more hours in the car wet and muddy and dealing all day Saturday with soaked gear doesn't thrill me. So. We'll see.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/18/14 at 6:26pm
6/18

Pre-Games throwing

Took the new-found cone and set up around 70-80%. After a usual games warm up, took 3 attempts on each event. For the stones, I used an 8.8 shot. Everything felt fine. I like this approach better. Not worrying about numbers pre-games. Just little cues here and there and I don't panic about not throwing far.

As ready as I'll be for weekend throwing. 

jp

tosabarbell.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 17>
  Share Topic