Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: jp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/27/13 at 2:20pm
9/27

Throwing Day

Braemar: Watched some F. Brebner videos before heading out and they were a huge help. Finally getting the "separation" and rhythm of the throw down. Felt great. Had some decent throws but more so excited that this is coming together.

L. Hammer: F'n hammer. Will I ever get this thing?

jp
You have to stop doing that Juli, if it worked we'd all be doing it.

tosabarbell.com
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/27/13 at 4:15pm
Hammer... happens to the best:

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Juli Peterson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/27/13 at 7:49pm
That is really the best thing related to my hammer all season. Clap

Thanks for that Tom. I like lulz!

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/30/13 at 8:45am
9/29

LFOLA Bagpipes and Bonfire

*Jeff Armstrong and Kevin Nies both shot me some notes Friday asking if we'd be interested in making the quick trip to Illinois for this. I was told it was a Games like I'd never seen before. Well, the bigg guy couldn't throw because his training is dialed in solidly for his upcoming comp. so he and my son came to watch and I threw with the boys. The field reminded me of a polo field. We were the pony's and the rich folks paid thousands of dollars to sit in their canopied tents, sip drinks from the bars, and watch us throw. 

In actuality, the rich folks didn't show up until a couple of hours after we started but once they did, oh boy. This event is almost 50 years old and this year alone, raised over 2 million dollars for their nature preserve with less than 2000 folks in attendance. The homes around the fields were bigger than mine, my neighbors, and the elementary school down the street combined. It was pretty amazing, very low key, and had a great vibe. As for the throwing:

Open Stone: I think around 28+. Not great. Didn't get find my groove.

L. Hammer: Still hate that thing. 65' and change. Yuck. I did get a good hip cue from Kevin that I'll practice.

HWD (28#): First throw felt ok, 31' and change. Second throw got behind me and I was all over the place. A quick cue from Jeff and Kevin and my third throw went 35'6". Nice PR of over 3'. To say I was excited would be an understatement. But here's the funny thing about this, the throw in no way felt like 35. It felt effortless. Not hugely powerful, but calm and after the release, I figured I'd gone around 26 or so. I was the one pulling tape and when I saw 35 I looked up and expected the guys to finish spotting it closer. So I'm asking the question, do mechanics outrank power? 

WOB: I tied my May PR of 14' and was pretty excited for that. I didn't know if I'd see it again this season. We went to up to 15'6" and as close as I came to it, I may have had a chance at 15. Good confidence builder. 

LWD: We did one quick throw and mine was meh, mid 50's I think but I reminded myself that I would have been THRILLED with that number earlier this season so I'll take it.

Caber: We had some time to kill before the kilted skydivers were scheduled to arrive so I picked mine 3x, turned once to 1 o'clock and took a couple picks with the men's easier caber. I picked it but lost it shortly after. I got some good advice from Jason and really just need to practice this thing and gain some confidence with it. 

Overall it was an unexpected great day. The weather was absolutely gorgeous, Kevin kept us moving along and the guys provided plenty of entertainment. I got to finish up (almost) the season with some that I started it with last spring and that, along with the four teams of pipers playing (which we usually miss due to throwing) and some season-ending goodbye's had me a bit teary by the end of the day. 

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/13 at 2:02pm
10/1

Squat:
Up to 3x5@50Kg

Press:
Up to 1x10@35

Then throwing:

Braemar (14): Good day. Need to remember UP and well as push and had some decent throws in mid 20's. I'll take it. I've struggled in this event which annoys me because I threw a 21# shot put just over 21' at the Irish games. I should be able to throw a rock that weighs 7# less further than I am.

L. Hammer: 
10-1 turns (really focus on pushing around with my right hip at the release)
7- 2 turns (ditto)

Full throws- a bunch. My only goal was to feel what my hips were doing and keep my arms long and my hands loose on the release. No big throws but all with long arms so I'll take that as big success. Need to relax more on this (actually need to do a lot of things more or different on this but this is a good start.)

Tomorrow deadlift and condition; Thursday just a few distance throws and sheaf and head out to Kirksville on Friday.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/13 at 12:06pm
10/2

Deadlift:
Up to 1x3@ 75kg, 80, 85+(9)

Conditioning:
20 seconds on/10 seconds rest for 5 continuous sets of:
Air Squats
Push ups (triceps kept cramping. Uck)
Slam Balls

Total of 146 reps . Had a goal of 150 so not bad.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/13 at 11:57am
10/3

Distance Throwing

*after warming up and throwing a few short throws, started paying attention to getting my right foot on the ground faster in my second turn for my final push (which is usually coming off my left sidde.) I realized most of my weight is on my left leg as I get ready to go so started putting most of my weight on the right side to keep my focus there. Was a huge improvement to my throws. It could be that this is just a better cue ( for me) to get my hips around faster instead of trying to picture all the proper footwork in my head...too much.  I'll think "right side" from now on. 

21#: low of 38 but after putting weight on the right hit 44 a couple of times and a high of 45 and change. Pleased with that.

14#: same thing. Low in low 50's but once I started putting weight on the right hit many at 58+ which is well into PR'sville. Hopefully I can do it to begin with this weekend and not need a half hour warm up. Heh.

Good day.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/13 at 9:08pm
Kirksville Games 10/5

We started the day in a light drizzle but by the time set up was complete (couldn't do it the night before due to the storm blowing through) it was pretty much dry. Nice and cool throwing conditions without being too cold and by the end of the day, the sun was out and it was a beautiful fall day. Thanks again to Thom Van Vleck who's crew took very good care of us; kept the events running smoothly; and provided WARM LUNCH! That was awesome.

*Hammers were 12 & 9#
*Teresa Merrick and I threw the 21# as heavy in a women's handicapped open division 

Hammers:

Good day with these, and I hardly never say that. Melanie Mellinger showed another thrower a leg push with the release and it clicked with me. It was a very helpful cue and I finally got legs involved in the throw. I'm looking forward to practicing it.

Heavy: 70' and change. Still not a PR but it felt good.
Light: 89' and change. 6' PR. 

Stones:

The braemar was 17# and change and I know the open was heavier than usual but I don't know how much it weighed.

Braemar: 21' and change. Not bad for the first time throwing this heavy of stone. Just need practice.
Open: I don't know. This was by far the worst I've had in an open stone event all year. Moving on.

WOB:

16' with the 21. Missed 16'6 in various fashion all three times. Thom had a nice comment when I told him that nerves got the best of me on the final throws. Something to the effect of, 'the window gets tighter around the top of your scale for the day.' Meaning (for me), that my nerves causing just a slight early release, or late release, or timing was off on my jump was just enough to miss the throw. So will work on technique along with controlling nerves during games. It was fun. 

Distance:

I had an amazing throw of the 21 during the warm up. It felt so smooth and just sailed. Unfortunately I tightened  up during the actual throws and rushed them. Lesson learned. Relax, slow down, just do it.

Heavy: 39' and change. Threw a 42' and change on my extra's but still off of my nice practice throws last week. Slow down. Out, not up. Rog.

Light: 58'11 which is a nice PR. I relaxed far more for this one and things are coming together. Looking forward to working on this and hopefully seeing 60's next season.

Sheaf:

18' on first try was good but still missed 20. Everything was much smoother though and more relaxed and I think I have good things to work on for the future. It was the first time I was able to at least get a feel of this event. I struggle.

Caber: 

There were some Caber issues so we passed as a group on that. No worries. 

Overall a really great way to end the season. I'm in one piece and just so thankful for all. Throwing with a brand new group of ladies was tons of fun and, as usual, everyone was just so welcoming and helpful. We all pitched in to keep things moving quickly and there were lots of PR's in our group which was fun to share.

As for throwing the 21 v. 28...I still like the 28 better and I believe I have more PR's out there with that one so mixing things up next year is fine with me. I hope to throw the 21 in a few more comps prior to next September's jaunt across the pond to Scotland but I also look forward to doing work with the 28. In my very novice opinion, I see the 21 as more technical but the 28 as technical plus power and that's up my alley. No disrespect to others, this is how I roll. When I practice, I'll do it with all three and be prepared for what AD's give us to throw. 

Goals for the rest of the fall, early winter will be:

*Throw until the snow flies and is here for good.
*Drop some fluff from the last half of the season. At some point I decided not to be such a food nazi but then got lazy. Ucky.
*Do lots more conditioning and not worry about strength gains but rather maintenance. I'll worry about gains Jan-March.

jp

tosabarbell.com
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/13 at 9:20pm
Nice numbers Julie..I agree with your analysis of the 28 vs 21.. Terri who is a power athlete who works to perfect her technique,thinks you can power,muscle a 28 better but will play by the rules around..she is vet humble and I usually boast ( bc I'm proud or her training partner) but next weeks games could be the first time to throw the 21 in comp and if pushed can see her throwing the 21 wfd over 42 feet but going 16+ in 21wob( and if direction is right 17+).. keep up the hard work..throw high and far...see you in Svotland 2014
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/13 at 1:15pm
Thank you Dan! I'm very excited to see Terri in action. I'm sure I'll learn tons and everyone is so stoked for Scotland, it'll be amazing.

10/8

Squat:
Up to 3x5@60kg

CG Bench:
Up to 3x5@ 50

Throwing:
Glide drills to keep my left side "closed" longer. Lots and lots of drills. Took a few throws but that wasn't the point of today.

Hammer:
Tried some toss' with the light to get my legs more involved. Had one or two good throws but other things going wrong so I shut it down. It could be I'm just more tired from the two comps this last week than I thought I was. Not going to sweat it.

Still had my 21# weight in the car so took a few toss' with it. First one was 42 or so, felt fine but I wasn't open all the way at the release. The next toss was like Bo Derek running on the beach. So smooth and effortless, like I was floating. The release was spot on and it just felt awesome. Went to grab it and saw it went 46' and change. Oooooooo, wish I would have done that last weekend in Kirksville. But good to know I've got it in me. Threw a couple more but held on too tight. Shut it down.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/13 at 2:49pm
10/10

Press:
1x5@40kg
1x3@45
1x1@50, 55

Deadlift:
1x5@80
1x3@85
1x1+ @ 90 (10)

Throwing:

Standing putt: worked on keeping hips and shoulders where they should be. Didn't take any real toss'. Just practiced. Worked both 11 and 14# stones.

Distance (28 & 14): worked on footwork and speed. Slow first turn, sprint to the finish but stay low. Felt ok but I'm tired.

Sheaf: Things felt pretty good with this last weekend but I didn't have any push at the end so worked on that. Felt good. Need a target. 

Overall I just feel beat. Will do some lighter clean and jerks on Saturday for fun and just chill on the training before I head to Lithuania Wednesday. Too much sugar too, damn Halloween candy that I keep buying. 

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/13 at 2:52pm
Also,

10/9

Prowler sprints:
8 x 100' with 70kg

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/13 at 1:00pm
10/13

Sunday Fun Day

Power Clean and Jerks:
Up to 75kg, 3 singles there

Power Clean:
Up to 85, 2 singles there

Felt good and was fun. Needed that.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/13 at 11:11am
10/15

Lots of foam and barbell rollling out my right leg, ouchie knee means tight muscles and tendons.

Deadlift deload:
1x5@50kg
2x5@60

Quick Bench:
3x10@40

Hope to train during the weekend.

Peace out 'Merika!

jp

tosabarbell.com
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/13 at 12:26pm
Haha.  I just noticed the quote.  Took me a sec to place it.

...Josh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/13 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by CHAD CHAD wrote:

Haha.  I just noticed the quote.  Took me a sec to place it.

Heh.LOL It cracked me up, and it was true. I didn't have enough space for the "so get strong" part though.

jp

tosabarbell.com
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/13 at 4:15pm
I missed a comma.
...Josh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/13 at 2:45am
Originally posted by CHAD CHAD wrote:

I missed a comma.

Pesky comma's.

Hanging in Vilnius Olympic lounge, was an amazing weekend and for those who care, Matt took 5th in Loglift Championship. Good showing. Z broke his record at 490#. Really one of the most thrilling moments in sport I've ever witnessed.

10/18
Got to train in Big Z's gym. 100kg squats felt heavy, especially on the right side. Weird, until we were unloading the bar and saw I had 45kg loaded with 40 on the left. Oops. I was a bit spastic training in his gym. I don't know if girls there squat often or guys there just usually stare but it was unnerving. Then I did some pressing about to 55 and push press up to singles 70 just. Felt good, I don't do those often.

10/19
2k row. Felt good. I miss rowing.

Ate amazing food and made a huge dent in the Lithuanian vodka supply. Detox and prowling on the menu the rest of the week.

Peace out Vilnius.

Jp

Edited by Juli Peterson - 10/23/13 at 10:28am

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/13 at 10:26am
10/23

Squat:
5x8@50kg *just trying to get blood flowing. Lots of sitting the last few days.

Deadlift:
1x5@75, 80, 85+(8)

Curls:
3x8@22

Monster walk

Starting to feel constructive human again.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/13 at 1:27pm
10/24

Throwing Day

*rusty

LWD: warmed up with this. About 6, easy going one turn throws around the field. It's been a while since I've thrown in high 30's/low 40's so wanted to ease into it. 

Worked on footwork and correct speed. I was definitely rusty but eventually things started feeling better.

28#: had a hard time keeping weight 'even' instead of going way up and way down. Started holding on too tight so I shut it down. 

21#: Needed a few warm up throws but then this felt fine. I seem to do best with this one. It's heavy enough that I can power it but not so heavy (why does 28 feel so HEAVY some days;) that it starts to turn me around. 

14#: When I relaxed, had some nice throws. Felt smooth. Once I hold on too tight, it falls apart. 

Did one last toss with the 28 and 21 before I shut it down. The 28 felt ucky and went around 38'. The 21 felt ucky and went about 30'. Go figure. I'm still not experienced enough to figure out what I'm doing right when it goes far but feels off vs. what I'm doing wrong when it feels good but goes not far. I'll have to google to find some type of stand for my iphone so I can video while I'm on my own.

Overall a very good day. Felt good to be throwing again, feels like forever. Snow has started to fly here in Wisconsin so I'm thankful for a dry day in the 40's. That will seem balmy soon enough.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/13 at 4:15pm
10/26

Snatch Day

I struggle with this lift for various reasons. Two main things:
I don't finish the first pull. Ever.
I don't push my hips through at the jump (or shrug it up, take your pick)

After the warm up did:
5@35
5@40 *nice and slow, big hip push. 
3@45
3@50 *moved my grip out by a full inch on each side. Bingo
2@55
1@60 Disco.

Felt good. I tend to avoid this lift. No more.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/13 at 1:02pm
10/28

Squat:
Up to 5x1@100kg on the minute.
1x10@60

Press:
Up to 3x3@45

Push Press:
Singles at 50 and 60 (may start working up to heavy single after pressing. Depends on the week. Since I did so many Snatches on Saturday, I didn't want to push too hard. We'll see how that goes. Push pressing is kinda fun but I still want my 60+kg strict press this off season.)

Conditioning:
21-15-9
Slam Balls
Kb swings 
*25 squats after each each set

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/13 at 3:02pm
10/29

Throwing Day

Open Stone:

Worked on MSA for a little while. Tried to get a feel of it. Lots and lots of turns. It was interesting. 

Light Hammer:
Worked on using my hips a lot more and legs on the release. It's coming. My goals for next year are to get my Heavy in the 60's and my Light in the low 80's. I feel close to things coming together but have no facts to back that up. Practice, practice, practice:)

Turned out to be a beautiful fall day! 

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/13 at 2:09pm
10/31

Bench:
Up to 3x5@53

Deadlift:
1x3@80, 85, 90+(8)

KB swings:135
10/20 sec plank
15/"
20/"
25/"
30/"
35/"

I've decided to try a 20 day Kb swing Dan John thing. I'm not starting with 500 swings but I'll go up a little bit each day until I get there. Hopefully I can be consistent on this. We'll see. Finishing out the week with that and hopefully some throwing on Sunday and then run an 8 week high volume program/dial in diet to crazy extremes (all that means is no more Halloween candy actually) and throw as long as I can 'till the snow flies.

Happy Spooky day!

jp

Edited by Juli Peterson - 11/01/13 at 3:45pm

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/13 at 3:45pm
11/1

Kb Day 2 (it's a streak YO!)

*2 chin ups between each number

10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45=220

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/13 at 2:06pm
11/2

KB swings (320)
*3 barbell curls in between each set

11/3

KB swings (400)
Sets of 40, 5 empty bar press between each set

Throwing:
Distance
Was off on throws today. Feet felt ok, didn't get a handle on keeping the weights where they should be. Worked on keeping weight even and not letting it go too high/too low around. One too many swings, tore some skin on middle finger. NuSkin is mean.

Not a great day. But they all can't be great.

jp

tosabarbell.com
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/13 at 9:13am
What size kettlebell?...good luck at the Arnold!
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/13 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by dWood dWood wrote:

What size kettlebell?...good luck at the Arnold!

A 20#, Play it again Sports' finest. Wink Thank you for the good wishes, it means a lot to me! I'll do my best!

11/4

500 Kb swings, sets of 50, 3-22kg curl in between each set.

Squat:
Up to 10x10@60

Press:
Up to 10x10@30

I think I need to wash my hair quick while I can still lift my arms! Holy shmokes!

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/13 at 2:27pm
11/5

500 Kb swings (actually getting easier.)

Throwing:

LHammer

Took some beginner drills from the Contrarian Approach. Lots of swings, so many swings. Only 5-7 actual throws but focused on feeling it. I also did about 50 swings from the left side. That was actually kind of fun and I released a couple from there. Lots of push from side to side. 

For some reason, I do a lot better feeling the weight from the left. Interesting.

A very good start.

I've probably rhabdo'd my ab. Please send cards and candy.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/13 at 2:56pm
11/6

500 Kb swings (3-25kg curl in between sets of 50)

11/7

500kb swings

Deadlift:
1x5@85, 3@90, 1+@95 (8)

Bench:
10x10@35

jp

tosabarbell.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 17>
  Share Topic