Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: jp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/13 at 12:19pm
Soooooo...basically any 'C' word? Wait. What?!

8/17

Light Clean and Jerks: Doubles at 55. Just wanted to put some pep in my step but throwing tomorrow so I didn't want to push hard. 

Also practiced the above AV technique with the WOB. It went very well. 14' is there for sure for height but I need to watch my release. Would really like to hit 15 before year's end. 

Thanks again "CHAD"; Chief; Champ; ChaChi...

really. Thank you.

jp
You have to stop doing that Juli, if it worked we'd all be doing it.

tosabarbell.com
Juli Peterson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/13 at 6:35pm
8/19

Deload

Squat:
2x4@40kg, 50
2x2@60, 70
2x1@80, 90
1x5@50

Deadlift:
Up to 3x3@85

Curls:
4x8@20

Prowler:
5 laps quick walk w/20kg on board.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/20/13 at 3:36pm
8/20

Throwing Day

Stones (14 & 11)
Had a few good throws on each. The glide is coming along. Just need to put things together. 

Distance (28 & 14)
Again, a few good throws on each. Wait for the weight in the heavy and don't hold on so tight on the light. 

WOB (28)
Feeling good. Game day nerves a biggie on this one. Need to remember to jump.

Hammer (12)
Hate. This. So. Much.

Sheaf (10)
Looks better on video. We'll see this weekend in Cherry Point.

Overall a fine day. Nothing spectacular, nothing suck (except for Hammer which is normal.)

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/22/13 at 11:24am
8/22

Some Pre-Games singles

Press: 
Up to 5 singles at 45kg

Squat:
Up to 5 singles at 70

Deadlift:
Up to 5 singles at 80

Trying to go into Cherry Valley (not Cherry Point, I struggle) a little more rested Saturday. We'll see how that goes.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/13 at 10:17pm
8/24

Cherry Valley Throw for the Cure

A decent day throwing. Nothing spectacular but some things are coming together that will be helpful down the line.

Sheaf: Cleared 18 and "had the height" on more (sooooo helpful.) Have more to practice but thanks to Jeff Armstrong and Jason, I finally have something to aim for.

WOB: Came in at 11' since the whole 12' thing was making me crazy. Almost bombed out but things came together and 12 and 13 were no problem. Missed 14 but overall was a better day. Thanks to Josh/CHAD for his help last week. No more 'too many swingies.' Worked well. 

Stones: Still doing better at practice than at games. Had around 22 and 26 and questioning how in the hellz I pulled out bigger numbers in the past. Per Katie Steingraeber's advice, "On game day, just F'n throw. No more technique work. Just throw."

She's right. This is what I did in Washington and haven't done it since. Lesson learned. 

Distance: 28-ish and 54'4ish. I need to make sure I wait for the weight on the heavy. But they feel good and they'll come. No worries brah (for Jeff.)

Caber: I bailed. Had to get home and plan for a training camp tomorrow. I felt bad but I knew time would be tight as we approached the evening. 

Overall a better day than a couple weeks ago not so much because of the numbers but because of how I feel moving forward. 

Special thanks to Jason Clevenger for always putting on a great show and taking care of us. Jane and Jasmine for a great silent auction and drinks and cookies and sock flash swag. Jeff Armstrong for quick, concise cues that were helpful but didn't yank me out of throwing. He's a great coach. Katie, as always! for great advice and a fun day along with my other lady throwers; Sue, Ruth, Candice, Topaz, and Victoria. I'm very much looking forward to chillaxn and throwin' with Sue and Ruth in Scotland next year. 

It was a great day!

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/26/13 at 11:15am
8/26

Stones and Hammer

Braemar: About 10 throws. Feeling more of a push and getting more out of the 14#.

Open: This wasn't as good. Just felt off. Wasn't feeling the glide today but will keep at it.

LHammer: Very good day with the hammer. It helps alot to rotate my shoulders as the ball comes around per Jake Sullivan's advice and had some good throws. I may actually learn to like this thing.

After:
10-20  yard sprints with 3 push ups on the minute. Felt good to move.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/13 at 12:28pm
8/28

Throwing Day

Stones: Just think "hips, shoulder, push and flick." Good day on the stones. 14# braemar consistent around 22-24 which I'll take. Open 11# with a glide consistent around 30. Keep thought process simple and just F'n throw.

Distance:
Heavy-two wind ups gives me more speed so I'll go with that. Good throws 30' and above which is my goal for this weekend.

Light-just throw. Stop breaking the spin down and just do it. High 50's, hopefully I can do that this weekend where it counts.

WOB: 
Uck. No pop. Moved on.

Hammer: 
Had a few good throws keeping my arms nice and long at the release, then I broke my hammer. Ah well.

Very decent day, feeling good going into this weekend's Wisconsin Scottish games. Need to watch the diet so I have gas in the tank at the end of the day for the WOB. Will light squat and light power clean tomorrow.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/29/13 at 12:10pm
8/29

Stretching out, moving a little before this weekend's Games.

Squat:
Up to 1x10@50

Press:
Up to 1x10@40

Deadlift:
Up to 1x10@60

PClean and Jerk:
5 Singles at 55

Good food, good sleep and hopefully will have a good day. 

Good throwing to everyone out there this weekend!

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/31/13 at 9:26pm
One year anniversary. Wisconsin Scottish Games.

From last year to this year's PR's:

Braemar Stone: 20'3 to 25'4
Open Stone: 26'4 to 32'6
HHamer: (in Wisconsin terms which is 12'# heavy and 8#light) 49'8 to 68'
LHamer: (see above) 68'9 to 87'1.5"
HWD: 18'7 to 32'7
LWD: 40'1 to 54'4"
Caber: picked and turned. Hellzya.
WOB: 11' to 14'
Sheaf: None to 18'

**Mushy alert**

It's been a helluva year! I cannot thank enough KO, Craig Smith, Chris Chafin, Jeremy Gillingham, Sgt., Doug Steiger, John McAdams, Armstrong, Rick, ALL the amazing women I've thrown with; Armstrong, Clevenger, Merl Lawless, Wally Olecik, all the support staff, and most importantly my family and my guy for their support. While I expected some of my  throws would be bigger, I should realistically expect that next year WHILL be better. Wink

Tomorrow is Hibernian events. I have no clue what that means but expect that fun and beer will be involved. Word.

jp

tosabarbell.com
Terri J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terri J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/31/13 at 11:13pm
REAL NICE IMPROVEMENT in 1 year! Keep it up..game time for me in 8 hrs..woo hoo!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/13 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Terri J Terri J wrote:

REAL NICE IMPROVEMENT in 1 year! Keep it up..game time for me in 8 hrs..woo hoo!

Thank you Terri! Means a lot. While I have high expectations for myself, I (need to) realize that learning the throws takes time. It's been a great year!

9/1

Wisconsin Highland Games Irish Hibernian events

I had absolutely no idea what was going on for half of these events. Sgt. talked Matt into coming out and throwing in this one and he had a blast. So of course my only goal of the day was to beat Matt. I'm not sure how many extra throws I took during the day to get a better number than him, my body this morning is telling me that I took too many. Oy. It's taken me an hour to just get moving without pain.

Grenade launch: I think that was the name of this one. Side arm throw over the head. No clue what my numbers were. 

Heavy Shot: I threw a 21# shot. It was a blast. And heavy. Again, no idea on final number.
Light Shot: 14# which I came close to throwing the same number as my 8# open stone yesterday.

HWD: After some amazing coaching from KO and Craig both days, this is starting to feel pretty good. I have some great drills and habits to hone in on during practice but today was much better. Felt good to be throwing in the 30's again. Yeah.
Heavy weight forward:Or something like that. Take the 28# facing the trig, go between your legs and throw forward for distance. Harder than I gave it credit for. Weird but challenging.

After lunch we moved to the Irish hammer which looked exactly like the Scottish hammer for me. A few of the Pro's got fancy and put on quite a show. No improvements from Saturday's numbers but good to keep practicing and got some great practice advice from Coach MacKay.

Weight for Height was the same concept as WOB only we had to hit a target that looks pretty big on the ground but when you're looking up at it from 15' below, it looks about as big as a nickle. It was probably the most nerve racking thing all day. Heh.

Caber: Still didn't turn the Am caber but it's here in town so will look up Sgt. and hopefully get a chance to practice before the snow flies. 

Overall a great, and silly, day. Got to compete with my guy which was a treat. Seeing him launch a 42# shot put as if it were my open stone was cool. Again, spending the day on the field with this group made me a better thrower and was tons of fun. I'm a lucky girl. And very sore. Confused

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/13 at 8:48am
Oops, forgot to say, Matt beat me by 3 points. 

THREE POINTS!!

damn.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/13 at 12:10pm
9/3

My training for the next six weeks will be keeping the main lifts in the 50-70% range, lower volume. Throw 2-3x per week, ramp up conditioning and get my diet back in check. 

My goal for this week is to just recover from competing 2 weeks in a row and competing two full days this weekend. While I'm feeling fine today, I'm definitely worn down so I want to avoid running myself into the ground.

Squat:
Up to 3x5@70kg

CG Bench:
Up to 5x3@50

Curls:
3x8@20

Conditioning:
12 minutes of-
3 Power Cleans @ 45k
5 Chin ups, 5 push ups, 10 air squats

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/04/13 at 1:08pm
9/4

Throwing:

Stones-

Braemar (14#) Pretty good day. Flipped my wrist around on the set up and kept my eyes up before the toss and had some good 24'+ throws. I'm pleased with that. Need to work the separation more but overall a good day.

Open (11#) Decent. Again, eyes up helped and I worked on keeping my left shoulder from turning too soon. I'm still not understanding how the glide, doing it quickly (fast feet) contributes to force transfer with the throw but have posed the ? to MV for his video series. Had some 27'+ throws with the slightly heavier stone and I'm happy with that.

Distance-

Ugh. This is where I really felt the tiredness of last weekend's comps. Still pretty worn out so I just tried to focus on footwork stuff. I threw the 21# for the first time. I may ask Mike Landrich if I can swap out the handles. This one is much thinner in diameter than I'm used to and I didn't really feel like I could get a good handle on it. Overall I need to remember to relax and slow down with these throws. I get pretty frustrated and I know it shuts me down. But I'm not going to touch them again until maybe Sunday so I'm recovered better.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/06/13 at 10:12am
9/6

Press:
1x5@20kg; 4@25; 3@30; 2@35; Singles at 40, 42, 45, 47, 50

I mourn the loss of my strong press

Deadlift:
Up to one single at 100Kg

Conditioning:
3 Rounds
10 air squats
10 slam balls
5 push ups

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/07/13 at 4:30pm
9/7

Worked on some snatch high pulls today. I have a nasty habit of pulling too early so I thought I'd work on that with 45kg. Took about 10 pulls and switched over to 55 with clean pulls. 

Wanted to do something but I'm planning on throwing tomorrow so I didn't want to be silly.

I mentioned the other day after throwing the 21# weight that the diameter of the handle is quite a bit smaller than the handle on my 14. It looks as if my 14# handle is meant for Andre The Giant hands and I need to start getting used to a smaller diameter. Although I have large hands (BIG BONED!), they pale in comparison to Kate Burton's. Her hands are spectacular. It's the first time I've had hand envy. Pretty cool. So if the standard is 5/8", I'll adjust.

jp

tosabarbell.com
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/07/13 at 7:50pm
Which style 21 did you get? What style handle? Terri got the swivel 21 ball with arced triangle handle - nice weight! We may switch out the handle with her thicker triangle handle- no problem with weight as her handle actually makes it a 1/2 lb heavier( her triangle usually sits on her 28 flyer and is a small/ thick triangle)
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/08/13 at 11:11am
My 21# has a D-handle. It's what I had on the 14 so I chose that one. I like it fine, it's just smaller than I'm used to. As Mike stated in the thread he started, he assumed 5/8" is what everyone uses. It's pretty small for me but keep in mind almost all of my games have been here in the mid-west so maybe it's a regional thing. I do remember throwing in a game or two where the handle has felt different but not enough to tear skin or anything.

Here's where experience helps. Wink It didn't occur to me to ask about handle diameter dimensions and I will in the future. If I'm the only one throwing with larger handles, of course I need to make an adjustment and if the handles are all 5/8" for the MWC, then I need to get used to it. That's really all that matters. I just need to do my homework.

The triangle isn't something I've used. I may see if someone has one that I can try to get a feel of it. Maybe the D handle isn't better for me since I have bigger hands (BIG BONED!)

Appreciate the feedback!

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/09/13 at 2:04pm
9/9

Throwing Day

Glide: broke this down and practiced each movement (set up and glide, hips, push, finish)...over and over and over again. It was a huge help. Once I got to weight, I used my 12# shot that is currently hammer handleless right now. Most throws were in the mid 20's and I know I can do more but this is really the best outing with the glide. Took about 5 throws with the 8# stone and all over 35' so ya, helpful. I'll keep doing that. Have a feeling my ab is going to be pretty sore tomorrow.

Braemar (14#): Not as great of a day but fine. Worked to keep my left arm from rotating too soon. I struggle with this. I was a bit worn out from an hour's worth of open work too. Oh well.

Sheaf: I set up in front a street lamp and used the shadow to see if I'm hooking or not. Had a few hooks but overall much better blocks! My confidence on this one come game day is very low so hopefully I'll have a good outing in Kirksville. Which reminds me, I need to get my reg. in. 

jp

tosabarbell.com
Road Warrior View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Road Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/09/13 at 2:53pm
Hey JP missed you at Minn Ren Fest yesterday, some great women throwers. you would have had a blast.Big smile
The only thing I have to prove is that I'm not affraid to TRY !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/09/13 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Road Warrior Road Warrior wrote:

Hey JP missed you at Minn Ren Fest yesterday, some great women throwers. you would have had a blast.Big smile

Thank you! It was really tough to pass on that one. I've been going to the Mn Ren Fest since I was a little girl and it would have been a treat to throw there. I've sworn off contests for September. I've been dragging my son all over to these and while he's had a blast, his football games are on Saturday's this month and next and I'll already miss two of his games in October.

His games are earlier in the morning next year so if I'm lucky enough to get an opportunity to come next year, I can trek over after his game on Saturday. The Am Championships looked VERY exciting too!

Glad the ladies had fun. Those I know of who were going to throw are very amazing!

Thanks again!

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/13 at 4:01pm
9/10

Time crunched.

Squat:
1x5@20kg, 4@60, 4@70, 1@80, 8@60

Press:
1x5@20 (supposed to be 4), 4@30, 4@40 (supposed to be 2, I struggle in a scramble),
2@45, 1@50, 1@52

Conditioning:
12, 9, 6 reps of 60kg deadlift, slam balls with 25 air squats after slam balls

95 degree + humidity makes juli a sweaty, sweaty girl.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/12/13 at 1:01pm
9/12

Throwing Day

Threw all distance weights today...

14#: Goes further when I just calm the F down and relax. Had some decent throws but once I tighten up, it goes nowhere past mid-50's. Stayed "low" better today and footwork was better after practicing without the weights. When I relax, I feel the weight much better than I have in the past. Just need about 1000 more throws to be consistent.

21#: Threw a ton of these. I'm getting more used to the smaller diameter handle but once my hand got tired and I came back to it, I struggled with it. A glove and some tacky worked fine though. Still just trying to hit the power positions and stay low. Had a few throws in low 40's which seems ok for a start. My Games nightmare is that I throw the 21 further than the 14. Not altogether unrealistic.

28#: Just threw about 6 or 7 of these to make sure my positioning feels decent. I can feel it best with the heavier weight. Throws in low 30's and I'll take it for a practice day. Again, relaxing helped. Speed at the end, etc.

wob: 21# seemed ok. I threw higher than a 15' tree, which I should. Worked on keeping my arm nice and long and not up pulling on it too soon. Felt pretty good. I just need to do this one in a competition, that's when my nerves kick in and I need to calm myself down.

Lots of throws but overall a decent day. I'm 'staying low' better; I'm not throwing the weight up to the sky on my first turn pulling me all out of whack; and felt the light weight better than I have. I need work on the last 1/4 turn of the toss and the release but it'll come.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/13/13 at 11:48am
9/13

Quick session

Power Clean and Jerk: warmed up to

4x1@55kg
3x1@60
2x1@65
1x2@70

That's all I had time for. Felt fine. Knee's out, I haven't been doing that enough in my pulling. Gave me a chance to squeeze up better, more hammies off the floor=stronger. 

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/13 at 2:27pm
9/17

Throwing

Stones: 
Threw the 14, 11, and 9# rocks. All ok. The day in general was fine. Nothing spectacular, nothing horrid. Nothing new clicked but nothing new fell apart. 

Distance:
Very good day actually on the 28 but that was just for warm up so focused on the 14. Just working hips in the right place and trying to feel the ball on the lighter weights. Wore me out but I think I was out there for too long. Need to set a rep limit and stick to it to stay fresh.

Gym:
Didn't have time yesterday to train so just did...

CG Bench: 5x3@50kg
Deadlift: 3x3@85

...after throwing. 

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/18/13 at 1:52pm
9/18

Squat:
Up to 3x5@75kg

Conditioning:
3 rounds of 50 air squat/7 chin ups/10 35kg hang cleans

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/20/13 at 12:46pm
9/20

Quick Session

Press:
Up to 3x3@45kg

Conditioning:
12 minutes of 10 Slam Balls and 5 Chin Ups

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/23/13 at 2:38pm
9/23

Throwing Day

Stones:
Lots of footwork, a little throwing. Open much better, still not getting a full push out of the Braemar but better day overall. Looking forward to getting better at footwork this winter.

Hammer:
Finally fixed my light hammer, thanks to Jason C. for walking me through it. Felt good to throw again, I made progress here at the Wisconsin games in keeping my arms nice and loose so worked that. A few throws in Mid 70's which is good for me and then I started hanging on too tight so shut it down. A decent day after a three+ week layoff.

Sheaf:
12# Had one big hook on the release but the rest seemed ok. Will mainly throw the 12# now until the snow comes.

Conditioning:
On the minute for 8 minutes, 40yd sprint + 15 air squats.

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/25/13 at 2:17pm
9/25

Deadlift: I've been neglecting my deadlifts which is why my back is feeling out of sorts lately. So I've reset and will run a few cycles of 531 on it. 

Up to 1x5@70kg, 75, 80+(for 10)

Throwing:
Distance weights

Lots of footwork practice and working on the block and release. Still needs work but I have to be pleased with how far this has come this year. 28# consistent in low 30's; 21# consistent in low 40's (but haven't thrown it in competition yet, we'll see); 14# consistent in mid to high 50's. 

I'll take it. I've been too hard on myself on these throws this last half of the season and that's not something I'd accept from anyone I train. I'm very excited to order the "Contrarian" dvd and book and learn more from that in the off season. My last games is coming up in Kirksville, MO and I need to remember however the day goes, it's been a hella'va season for me.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/26/13 at 3:43pm
9/26

Squat:
Up to 5x3@70kg

Power Snatch:
10 Singles at 45. Wanted to put some pep in my step without worrying about recovery for throwing tomorrow.

jp

tosabarbell.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 17>
  Share Topic