Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: jp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/18/13 at 11:28am
4/18

CG bench:
Up to 3x10@50kg

Halting deads:
Up to 1x8@85

Chins:
3x8

8 minute circuit:
8 burpees
8 kb swings
15 air squats
You have to stop doing that Juli, if it worked we'd all be doing it.

tosabarbell.com
Juli Peterson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/20/13 at 11:14am
4/20

Snatch:
Up to 55kgx10
Worked on a slow pull and waiting for a good second pull. I usually jump too early and the bar gets loopy. Hoping timing work carries over to timing of distance throws. Will see.

C/J:
Running short on time, worked up to 65 and did a bunch if power cleans for some cardio.

JP

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/13 at 12:00pm
4/22

Squats:
Up to 1x5@85kg, 87, 90
3x10@60 back off sets

Press deload:
3xMR@40: 10, 8, 6

Shrugs:
4x8@75

BB curls:
3x8@27

Prowler:
8 100' laps sprints with 20kg

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/23/13 at 6:47pm
4/23

Globo gym day

10 min treadmill walk

Lat Pull Down:
4x5@110

Seated Row:
4x8@100

Skull crushers:
3x8@65#

Leg extension:
4x8 (1 set each @) 130, 140, 150, 160

Kinda walked on the treadmill after that in between coaching. 

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/13 at 3:57pm
4/24

Throwing Day

Stone/Open stone: good stone day. After working 'Braemar' stand and throw, tried the slide a bunch of times for open. It felt better than I thought it would and got 4-5 extra '. 

Distance throws: had some decent light weight throws but something still going wrong with my feet on a consistent basis so that needs to be figured out. The heavy weight throws were all wonky. Practice again on Saturday.

All in all a fine day with sunshine and no rain or snow. Rare in these parts.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/13 at 8:01am
**Side note

After watching HWD throws last night I believe I've figured out where I'm going wrong. I'm trying so hard to get my feet to the correct position that I'm moving them before the weight. So the weight is probably at 4 o'clock when my right foot is coming off the ground. Landing me on my arse when the weight finally gets to where it should be, I'm already on my second turn trying to salvage the throw. 

If that makes sense?

Looking forward to working it out on Saturday.

jp

tosabarbell.com
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/13 at 8:06am
I had (have) the same trouble with both WFD.  I have to constantly remind myself to slooooowww down and wait on the weight before I switch my feet.  The Gene Flynn video that I linked in my training log convinced me that I really can move my body faster than the weight.  Once I believed that, I did better.  Good luck. 
Aim high. Stay hungry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/13 at 8:10am
Originally posted by TomLawrence TomLawrence wrote:

I had (have) the same trouble with both WFD.  I have to constantly remind myself to slooooowww down and wait on the weight before I switch my feet.  The Gene Flynn video that I linked in my training log convinced me that I really can move my body faster than the weight.  Once I believed that, I did better.  Good luck. 

Exactly, I forgot to write that. Slow down! I'll check out that link on your log. 

Thank you!

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/13 at 12:52pm
4/25

Bench:
Up to 1x3@ 60kg, 62, 65

Rack Pull:
Up to 1x5@105kg (felt much better than last time)

Power Cleans:
5x3@55

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/27/13 at 1:54pm
4/27

Throwing

Stone throws: 
Still working on slide of open stone, feeling good. Starting to find comfort overall with throwing the stone.

HWD: 
Worked on one turn and feels much better. After I found my rhythm was throwing in the mid 20's consistently, I'll take it.

LWD: 
First throws were tough. Realized that in my efforts to "stay low" I was hunching up and that was pulling me off. I went back to fully stretching out my arms and throws were all in mid to high 40s. My feet are still wonky but some of this is starting to feel better. I'll take it. Even "poor" throws were still in low 40's. Just raising the minimum here. 

Overall, better days are better than sucky days. I'll take it. 

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/29/13 at 1:19pm
4/29

Squats:
1x3@90kg, 95, 100
1x10@60

Rt knee throbbing a bit. Shut down back off sets.

Press:
1x5@40, 43, 46

Shrugs:
4x8@75

BB curls:
3x8@27

Prowler pushes, nothing impressive.

Did not get near enough protein this weekend and bit me in the arse today. Lesson learned.

Jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/13 at 7:25pm
4/30

Throwing:
Stone throws-gave more attention to what is happening before the throw rather than trying to micromanage the actual push. Felt better. Practice, practice, practice.

WOB:
I don't practice this much but thought I should give it a whirl. Felt good. I don't have a measure system so it went pretty far over my head. But I'm short. 

Distance:
Worked light weight, slow first turn, faster and more powerful second. I have to wear gloves due to a torn callous and I'm glad I got to practice with it. The release is a bit wonky but I felt better towards the end.  Still struggling for consistency in the heavy, one turn only. It'll come. 

I'm very excited to compete Saturday in Minnesota with some amazing women athletes. I expect to learn a lot and have a blast.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/02/13 at 12:01pm
5/2

CG bench:
Up to 3x8@ 52kg

Halting deadlifts:
Up to 1x5@90

Chins: 3x8

Throwing drills: working on heavy one turn

JP

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/05/13 at 5:33pm
5/4

Minnesota Scottish Fair and Highland Games

Had the opportunity to throw with Katie Steingraber and Sara Hilger. I feel like I just attended a throwing training camp! I appreciate all of their help and advice and coaching tips. Watching them break down the throws was very cool and I learned so much. The three of us (pretty much locked 3rd place in when I arrived;) threw with the Masters dudes which meant that I also had Jason Clevenger who has such a solid grasp on how to communicate cues to novices that I really was quite spoiled. Thanks so much to the three of you for your help, it is so appreciated. I hope to see Katie and Sara here in the Milwaukee area for a games this summer and will see Jason in a couple of weeks back in Springfield. 

Sheaf:
16' (Excited to keep working on this. I really like this event and got some expert coaching from Jason and watched great toss' by the ladies.) OH! I like Jason's comment when he and Katie just cleared 26 and was wondering if they should go up a foot or two. "I'd rather go out at 28 than 27." I lol'd.

WOB:
12' (Missed 13 twice hitting the bar as it was going up so I need to remember to step forward a bit. The third throw wasn't even close.) Also got to see Sara PR her WOB at 15' 8" (I believe) which was a lot of fun.

Caber:
I picked it. Twice! Didn't have a clue what to do with it after but again, got some great coaching and had a blast. A drill Jason gave me for picking is on the docket for this week. 

*My throwing numbers are going off memory (and I'm elderly so it's not a great one at that) so I'll adjust if need be when the actual results come out.

Open Stone:
24' something. Not great.
Watched in awe at the clinic that Sara and Katie put on. Got some good video and great drills to work on that will help. 

Heavy Hammer:
46' something. 
Again, not great but I realized I was going off the first rotation so my last throw (two swings) at least had a chance. Again, got some great advice (and yes Jason, NOW I remember the release part we discussed in Rockford. Sh*t sinks in eventually:)

HWD:
20'
Still struggling with this on the field. Again, got some great advice from Sara and watched her follow her own advice. Practice, practice.

LWD:
49' and change. Competition PR. 
Again, some tips from Sara were huge and I'm excited to keep practicing. 

Overall, it was a day of learning from some of the best and I'm better for it. What an opportunity! Just awesome.

Thanks again to Jeff Bryan for the day!

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/13 at 11:43am
5/6

Squats:
1x5@95kg, x3@100, x1@105
3x10@60

Press:
1x3@43, 46, 49

Shrugs:
4x6@80

Curls:
3x8@27

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/13 at 3:27pm
5/7

Throws

LWD: Threw anywhere from 20-30 of these. Worked on timing, pushing the weight, and using my legs more. Wore my glove so some of the releases were wonky but overall a very good session. Was very helpful going into my...

HWD: I was sticking my timing of the two turn better than I have for a while. Used my legs more and had some very nice throws. Threw about 10-12 of these.

*threw about 5 more LWD after the heavy to lock in the timing. It was a good day. 

Note: I know I saw somewhere on the forum about only using heavy weights to throw to nail down technique. I disagree. I don't work on fundamentals of the Snatch with near max weight, I use lighter weight and when the lift starts going bad, I drop it back down and work on it. The heavy weight pulls me all over the place and with no idea of what's happening, how do I fix it? Nailing in the timing and mechanics with the lighter weights allows me to apply them to the heavier.

Sheaf: I got some help from Jason last weekend on this and worked on the drill he sent me home with. It was lots of fun. I really like this event.

I left my stone in Minnesota so tomorrow's rest day activity will be roaming along the river and looking for another one.

jp

tosabarbell.com
Jeff Bryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/13 at 3:36pm
I have your stone Juli.  Let's chat and figure out a way to get it back to you.
-Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/13 at 3:55pm
Will do Jeff, I'll send you an email. I hope you got the snowman picture, I couldn't post it on the thread for some reason. 

Cheers!

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/09/13 at 10:58am
5/9

Bench:
1x3 ea@ 62kg, 65, 67
1x15@45

Rack pull:
1x8@110

Chins: 3x6

Kb swings: 3x25

JP

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/13 at 11:12am
5/13

*Games week

Squat:
Deload 1x5@75kg, 80, 85
3x10@60

Press:
1x5@46, 3@49, 1@54

Shrug:
4x6@80

Curls:
3x5@29

Prowler sprints w/20kg

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/14/13 at 4:05pm
5/14

Throwing Day

Threw with a friend who is doing his first Highland Games (heavy athletics, he's been here tons with the pipes) on June 1st. He did really good (was a thrower in HS) and my HH went much better after watching him.

Stones: just worked on using my legs more and the spin with the open stone. Felt good.
Distance: worked on timing and using my legs more. Did aight.
HH: Got the hang of it at the end, looking forward to this event this weekend.
Sheaf: Push and pop. Felt good.

A good day. Tomorrow a much needed rest day.

jp

tosabarbell.com
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/14/13 at 9:57pm
The fact that you can spin with O-stone is a victory.  I look like Homer Simpson in zero gravity when I try it.  Good luck this coming weekend.
Aim high. Stay hungry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/15/13 at 7:37am
Originally posted by TomLawrence TomLawrence wrote:

The fact that you can spin with O-stone is a victory.  I look like Homer Simpson in zero gravity when I try it.  Good luck this coming weekend.

Well in all honesty, it's possible that's exactly what I look like. Heh. I actually got some quick teaching from Sara Hilgers in Minnesota and took videos of her throws. She's a great coach. I don't hit the right position every time, but it's coming.

Thanks for the comp luck, it should be a great time.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/16/13 at 12:07pm
5/16

Halting deadlift:
1x8@93kg

CG bench:
3x5@55

Throwing:
~5-7 throws of each. Loosen up for Sat.

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/18/13 at 3:55pm
5/18

Springfield Area highland Games

Caber-turned my first Caber. It was an absolute blast. 1 o'clock. PR
Braemar: 16# Heaviest thrown to date. 21' and change.
Open: 28'7" PR
HHammer: 47'1
LHammer: 63' and change
*need to figure out this hammer thing

LWD: 49'8" PR
HWD:24' and change. Not a PR but distance events feeling much better. Keeping weight where it should be and excited to practice.

WOB: this was awesome. After hitting a PR of 13' in march, I've missed it at two other games. Hit it fine today; went for 13'6" and hit it and then went for 14'. Missed twice and hit it on 3rd. I was pretty excited...to say the least.
2nd overall. Great day.

tosabarbell.com
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/19/13 at 10:25am
Good job yesterday and congratts on th WOB pr. 
Old enough to know better. Still too young to care.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/19/13 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by wsciscoe wsciscoe wrote:

Good job yesterday and congratts on th WOB pr. 

Thank you Glenn! What a wonderful display of family you Sciscoe's put on at these games. Having Noah in our group was very special and watching he and Anita throw together all day was awfully cool. I can imagine  how proud you are of your clan!

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/19/13 at 5:08pm
5/18

**Didn't get a chance to add the Farmer's Carry event at the end of the day. 150# implements was a PR for me. Doing it at the end of a competition day; in the sun; after three beers and not a lot of food was quite interesting (read: silly.) But it was a great event and the crowd was really into it!

36.5'

tosabarbell.com
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/19/13 at 8:51pm
Very proud Juli they all work very hard And put 100 percent into the competitions
Old enough to know better. Still too young to care.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/21/13 at 10:56am
5/21

Took an extra rest day yesterday. The halting deadlifts last Thursday before the games was stupid. I know better. My back was completely fried going into throwing all day. Add the farmers carry at the end of the day and I risked hurting my back rather than just dealing with fatigue. Lesson learned. Ended up painting and mowing lawn anyway so not much of a rest. Train light today, throw tomorrow, and just a little heavier Thursday. 

Squats:
Up to 3x5@60Kg

Deadlift:
Up to 3x5@70Kg

Chins:
3x8

Hill "sprints": 4 (Been too long since I've done these. Quite horrible.)

tosabarbell.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
  Share Topic